Saturday, August 8, 2009

Three preps tap Kansas women

Kansas University’s women’s basketball program received oral commitments from three high school players from Texas this week.

KU coach Bonnie Henrickson on Thursday landed CeCe Harper, a 5-foot-9 senior point guard from San Antonio’s James Madison High, and Diara Moore, a 5-9 senior combo guard from Cedar Hill High.

On Tuesday, KU received a commitment from Keena Mays, a 5-8 combo guard from Mansfield Timberview High in Arlington.

KU last year signed three players from Texas — Monica Engleman, who is a former prep teammate of Harper’s, as well as Annette and Carolyn Davis of Houston.

Moore chose KU over TCU, Memphis, Tulsa and Wichita State.

“Kansas’ coaches watched me the whole summer. They were my No. 1 all along,” Moore said. “I liked the campus. One of my dreams in high school was to play in the Big 12.”

Moore became friends with Mays at KU’s Elite camp in June.

“Keena is a good, smart player,” Moore said of Mays, who chose KU over California, Central Florida, Illinois, Miami, North Carolina State and Texas A&M.; “I’m glad I get to play college basketball with someone I know rather than it just being myself there.”

Of KU, Moore said: “I’m impressed with the players and coaches. They make you feel like you belong. I think we really could do something, and people will see a new Kansas.”

Harper chose KU over Miami of Florida and Louisiana Tech.

Comments

Waylon Cook 10 years, 5 months ago

Post players next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

MinnesotaJay 10 years, 5 months ago

Agree, but Bonnie and staff are gettin' 'er done!. I've got confidence in their ability to round things out nicely.

kranny 10 years, 5 months ago

As I've said all along, be patient and Bonnie will get it done. The talent pool isn't as vast for women as it is for men yet. I heard this straight from a college women's coach. Bonnie is starting to tap into that talent. If you look around the country there simply aren't that many talented 6'5"-6'10" women. And the ones who are, are locked into the perennial powerhouses. If the lady Jayhawks make the NCAA this year, their recruiting will change immensely in the next 2 years.

Waylon Cook 10 years, 5 months ago

kranny I wasn't looking for Amazon-just a couple 6'2"-6'4" bangers

Phillbert 10 years, 5 months ago

If you look at the four players KU will lose after this season (McCray, Morris, Jacobs and Kohn) they're all guards with the exception of McCray, so it makes sense that 3 of the 4 available scholarships look to be going to guards.

And if you look at ESPN's recruiting page for KU, you'll see there's a highly rated 6' 2" post player from Texas who has us, OU, Duke and TCU on her list.

KGphoto 10 years, 5 months ago

Holy gigantism, kranny! 6'5"-6'10"? K.B. is the tallest woman in the Big 12 at 6'5". Most teams, including UConn, Duke and other perennial Final Four teams don't have a player over 6'4". Courtney Paris is 6'4".

An exception is Auburn's Keke Carrier, a 6'7" shot-blocking monster.

Hey. Would I love to have Godzilla playing for the Lady Jayhawks? http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0eLxclg3lKaZD/340x.jpg Sure. But she's only good for 10 minutes a game since most women's team centers are between 6'2"-6'5", and well under 250lbs., running her off the court. (Of course I'm only guessing about the weight because a lady never discloses that info. Isn't that funny? Even in sports they won't post the woman's weight.)

All the WNBA rebounding and shot blocking leaders are between 6'2"-6'6".

Margo Dydek played in the WNBA at 7'2" but she was a freak show. You couldn't even pay attention to the game when she was in because you were rubbing your eyes, waiting for them to adjust. It looked like the teacher playing the kids at fourth grade recess. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_LkcniSIp4VA/RfBqse_pG6I/AAAAAAAAAgg/YhlK8nkZEJw/s400/MargoDydek01.jpg

6'2"-6'4" with some toughness and athleticism will get it done at any level.

Waylon Cook 10 years, 5 months ago

I have a feeling we are going to get a banger but just a hunch;)

Lindsey Buscher 10 years, 5 months ago

Might want to rethink that headline. Unless we are modeling our recruiting process after CU or something...

kubiggestfan 10 years, 5 months ago

Great job Coach Henderson and your staff on getting some good ones out of Texas. Mays, Harper, and Moore are really good pulls from the Big state of Texas. I believe all three are combo guards that can handle the ball, shoot the 3, and set up their teammates. See attached links on Harper and Mays. Haven't found anything yet on Moore but heard that she is another good one to watch. Watch out Big XII !

kubiggestfan 10 years, 5 months ago

I guess I can't type ............Henrickson

kubiggestfan 10 years, 4 months ago

Looks like we got another good one headed our way in 2010!

Scouts Grade: 91 Position Rank: #19 (Wing) Brooke Jelniker has given a verbal commitment to Kansas, according to an e-mail to ESPN HoopGurlz from the Jelniker family.

"I love the coaching staff and players. It is a great fit for me," she wrote in the e-mail.

Jelniker, a 6-foot-1 forward from Highlands Ranch, Colo., returned Sunday from her official visit to Kansas and made the decision. With the decision made, she will gear up for her senior season at ThunderRidge, where the Grizzlies were 22-4 a year ago.

She also considered offers from schools in the ACC, Big 12, Pac 10, Mountain West and West Coast conferences.