Friday, August 7, 2009

Mending mistakes

Despite receptions record, Meier says he still can improve

Kansas receiver Kerry Meier takes off after a reception past Kansas State linebacker Alex Hrebec during the second quarter Saturday, Nov. 1, 2008 at Memorial Stadium.

Jayhawks' first fall practice today

The Kansas University football team’s quest for a Big 12 North title officially kicks off today, as the Jayhawks will undergo their first fall practice of the 2009 season.

More than 100 players reported to campus Thursday, as players underwent physicals, checked out equipment and attended team meetings.

Led by quarterback Todd Reesing and All-Big 12 preseason selections Dezmon Briscoe and Darrell Stuckey, the Jayhawks return 17 starters from last year’s team, which finished 8-5 and won the Insight Bowl, the first time in school history the program earned back-to-back bowl victories.

The team’s practices will remain closed to the public and the media for the majority of the training camp, with the exception of an open practice at 9 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 11, and Fan Appreciation Day on Aug. 26.

KU media day is scheduled for Tuesday.

KU football season officially begins

KU football players reported to campus Thursday for the beginning of training camp. Fans will have the opportunity to watch the team practice twice before the summer ends.

After careful examination, Kerry Meier says 97 receptions in 2008 wasn’t enough.

He should have had more.

“I think there’s a lot left on the table for me to go and get (this year),” the Kansas University senior receiver said. “Even though nearly 100 balls were caught, I think there’s a lot more balls out there that I could have had last year. That’s what kind of drove me this offseason as I went through and watched film from last year.”

It didn’t matter to Meier that 97 catches itself was an absurd number. Consider that KU’s single-season reception record before last season was 70, set by Richard Estell in 1985.

Meier still couldn’t help but wonder if his numbers could have been better. He even sat down one day and made a list of items that he wanted to improve upon before this season.

“Hopefully,” Meier said, “those few mistakes that I had last year, I learned from them.”

With the KU football team officially starting its practices today, Meier looks to be putting himself into a position where he could be a better all-around receiver in 2009.

He spent all of his time in the offseason with the receivers, which is a change from years past, when he also split time with the quarterbacks.

“I haven’t heard the official, ‘You are a 100-percent wide receiver’ quite yet,” Meier said, “but I see myself as a receiver right now.”

He’s also trying to take in all the information he can.

Meier has had offseason meetings with KU receivers coach David Beaty with the hopes of “picking his brain” while also learning some of the nuances that go with playing receiver.

“I think it’s helped me,” Meier said, “and hopefully I can take that knowledge that he’s provided before me and put it to use this year.”

As a senior, Meier has taken time to reflect on the accomplishments of the KU football program since he joined it.

“It feels dang good coming from a family that had two brothers go to K-State and be successful at K-State and see all the success they had at K-State,” Meier said. “When I came to KU, I wanted to experience some of that success. I knew it was going to be hard work.”

He also has seen a facilities facelift firsthand. During his freshman year, he remembered the team having problems with bugs in the locker room. Sometimes, the water wouldn’t work in the showers after practice.

Now, with the new Anderson Family Football Complex, Meier said he feels “almost spoiled.”

“I think we have too much stuff,” he said with a smile.

Meier said it’s the most excited he has been for a football season since he has been at KU.

“If I catch 80 balls, if I catch 20 balls, if I catch 100 balls ... as long as we have a successful season as a team and we find ourselves at the (Big 12) championship,” Meier said, “I’m going to be the happiest guy on the team.”

Comments

Jayhawker413 10 years, 12 months ago

I dont think that they editor of the article should have put (Big 12) inserted before Meier said "we find outselves at the championship"..... MEIER IS THINKING ABOUT THE BIG ONE... HE WONT SETTLE FOR JUST A BIG 12 TITLE

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 12 months ago

Kerry Meier is the epitome of the word "gamer." he just flat out gets it. whatever he has to do, to help the team win, and get to play in championships, he'll do.

what a great young man, and ultimate football player and teammate. good grief, are we going to miss him after this year. Have a great senior year Kerry....this could be a whole lotta fun. Go Jayhawks!

Rivethead 10 years, 12 months ago

Jayhawker413: I wondered about that too. And technically speaking, the name of our conference is the "Big XII" not "Big 12" anyway.

Having said that, Jesse does a good job, so I'm going to assume that he asked Kerry for clarification on the quote.

Kyle Crenshaw 10 years, 12 months ago

since he is almost a 90 overall player on ncaa 10 as a receiver i would assume he would be a 100% receiver... nonetheless remember 4 years ago when we were all saying he was going to be the savior of KU football... at quarterback. who would have thought 4 years later he would be one of the top receivers in KU history

KANSTUCKY 10 years, 12 months ago

I sure would like to see Kerry throw the ball a few more times just so defenses have to cover the threat. The kid is "money" as a receiver. Rock Chalk.

Kevin Long 10 years, 12 months ago

He has been nothing but first class since his arrival. It's going to be a sad time for me watching this great senior class for the last time. I just hope the last time is after New Years!!

troutsee 10 years, 12 months ago

Meier has the best hands on the team. He is quiet and leads by example....no grandstanding gestures from this guy. He's all business. Throw in lots of guts, intelligence, football knowledge, and a team oriented ego and you have......a good football player....a good guy.....and an unquestionable leader. Have a great year, Kerry Meier and lead this team to the B 12 championship.

troutsee 10 years, 12 months ago

One more thing I forgot to mention....he came to KU as a celebrated QB, lost his starting job even though he had loads of potential, did not utter one negative word, kept his mouth shut, and still became a star. Good for him. He is truly admirable. My respect for him has grown and grown.

jayhwx3003 10 years, 12 months ago

new college football coaches poll is out. They have Ku at #26 here's the link.

How they have notre dame ahead of KU, i don't even know. I would switch those two

Bill Kackley 10 years, 12 months ago

Does anyone else get tired of people who nit pick the writers of the articles.

kugrad93 10 years, 12 months ago

kackley, I'm gonna say yes.

Meier might have been asked about the Big 12, or the reporter might have followed up with, "Do you mean the Big 12 title?" The person in the room talking to the QB probably knows something about the context of the comments.

As for Big 12 vs. Big XII, I don't know of many newspapers that use XII. According to AP style, which is what most newspapers follow, there are only a few instances where using Roman numerals is acceptable. From the AP stylebook: "Use Roman numerals for wars, monarchs and Popes: World War II, King George VI, Pope John XXIII. In the case of proper names, use words or numerals according to the organization’s practice: 3M, Twentieth Century Fund, Big Ten."

The Big 12 is inconsistent in how it identifies itself, but it most often uses 12, not XII. It appears both ways in the logo and you can find it both ways on the conference Web site. In news releases they say Big 12, so it makes sense that the media would use that.

Kyle Crenshaw 10 years, 12 months ago

Big 12 is also easier to type than Big XII

Jesse Newell 10 years, 12 months ago

The Big 12 officially wants to be called "Big 12." You can see it on page 3 here.

And you guys are correct, Meier made an earlier reference to making the conference championship in the interview.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 12 months ago

Yet, the logo itself says “Big 12 Conference” over a giant XII. (if we can’t make fun of the LJW writers we can always make fun of Big 12 Media Services)

Rivethead 10 years, 12 months ago

My bad. A few months back I read about this in wikipedia and I swear it said the Big 12 conference wanted to be referred to as "Big XII" and not "Big Twelve" or "Big 12". And it made sense to me considering what's prominent in the logo.

But it's correctly stated in wiki now (and supported by the info in the link above), so I must have twisted it around.

kugrad93 10 years, 12 months ago

As long as I am pointing out other people's mistakes, I should have said WR/QB in reference to Meier.

dubya 10 years, 12 months ago

Those matte finish pants look like they were test pants for a dryer sheet company! And they clash horribly w/ the white jersey and silver helmet!

They're worse than Mizzou's yellow alternate jersey. They use Gold for their helmet logo and a matte yellow for the jersey. Nike must have had a thing for the no-gloss materials last season!

KU and Nebraska have the best looking uni's in the North. I wish we'd go w/ white pants instead of the silver/gray, but that's just my opinion.

dubya 10 years, 12 months ago

... and Colorado used to have great looking uni's, until Nike started putting reflective tape and oddly placed text on them.

I'm glad we're an Adidas school.

John Baker 10 years, 12 months ago

I remember the good 'ole days when we were in the Big VIII...

Yakihawk 10 years, 12 months ago

What is this, Project Runway? In the spirit of the last few posts, I think KSU should add berets and cashmere scarves to their uni's because they're going to get beat like French sailors this year!

LAJayhawk 10 years, 12 months ago

Jesse-

You may be my favorite writer that this paper employs. Keep up the good work and please avoid the temptation to go on to bigger and better things! :-)

Rock Chalk.

KGphoto 10 years, 12 months ago

If Meier gets any more balls, he'll be King Kong!

You gotta love this guy. Most other players would be looking for a transfer after losing the starting QB job. He's bigger than that. He's better than that. Kerry sees and understands the "big picture" more than most players ever will. Better than most students too.

I wish I had the foresight of Kerry when I was his age. He's a Kansas legend... already.

Wait and see Kerry. Ten years from now you'll get a huge, and maybe even tearful, ovation from the KU family. Your number will be retired and all this "hoopla" will be clearer. And ten years from that, you'll see it even more clearly. And so on.

By then Max will be 120 years old and considering retirement. I'm sure he'll have many great things to say about you. And when you think about it, that's really the most legitimate measure of success you can achieve.

jayhawkintx73 10 years, 12 months ago

This kid is a super class act. After the success that he had a year ago, playing half the year injured and at 70 to 80% speed, he actually takes accountability for the mistakes he made. There is a huge upside for this guy. With the attitude that he takes towards his own development, I do believe that this kid could be a Heisman Candidate and first round draft pick if not in the top 5 overall at next year's draft. 97 catches in the NFL is super in 16 games. He played 13! And the versatility that he brings with his ability to throw the ball and his pure athleticism, wow. This could be the Big 12 player of the year and Heisman winner. If he plays at 100% health this year all year, he could catch 120 or more. He could have over 2000 yards as a receiver because the linebackers aren't going to be able to just cover the pass like they did a year ago with a poor running game until the 2nd half when Jake Sharp stepped up and became a leader. Huge potential here.