Friday, August 7, 2009

KU’s Briscoe practicing

Despite some previous uncertainty about his eligibility, Kansas University junior receiver Dezmon Briscoe took part in the team's first practice of the fall season Friday, team officials said.

Briscoe, an all-Big 12 second-team receiver as a sophomore last season, missed most of spring practice — including the team's Spring Game in April — due to suspension as a result of academic issues.

“I anticipate that he will (be there when practice starts in August),” Mangino said during last month's Big 12 Media Days in Irving, Texas. “He has work to do (academically), and he's not the only one. There's several players that have work to do. I tell him, ‘It’s pretty simple: You get your work done, you're with us in August. You don't get your work done, you’re not.’ And we don't cry about it, and we don't feel bad about it — we go to the next player.

“But I don't anticipate any issues.”

Briscoe, who set school records last season for receiving yards (1,407) and touchdowns (15), was recently selected by media as a preseason all-Big 12 selection.

Comments

adamjhwkfan 10 years, 5 months ago

Great news! Way to step up and get done what you needed to Dez!

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 5 months ago

Briscoe...keep on the straight and narrow and you'll be in the NFL after this season!!!

Yakihawk 10 years, 5 months ago

I still don't know how Briscoe was passed up for first team last year, he was a living hi-light reel. 20 TD's 1,900 yds this year with a more experienced supporting cast.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 5 months ago

I realize the bias in this comment, but I really do think it's true:

Briscoe may be the best receiver in the country this year. It would have been a huge blow had he not been eligible, even with the rest of the great receiving corp. I really wasn't worried about him not playing, but this is great news nonetheless.

kansas22 10 years, 5 months ago

He was only passed up for 1st team all Big 12 because of how insane the 12 was last year in receiving. Crabtree, Dez Bryant and Maclin were all supreme talents. Although I do think Briscoe should have beaten out Maclin I can see why they'd do that. As of this year, I think Briscoe is definitely in the discussion for the best receiver in the nation. His ability in the open field is pretty incredible. He had some insane runs after the catch last year (Louisiana Tech immediately comes to mind). Heres to watching him do it again for at least one more year.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 5 months ago

We need to get the best out of him this year. I have a feeling he's gone to the next level after the season.