Friday, August 7, 2009

KU football not ranked in USA Today preseason coaches poll

The preseason college football rankings were released Friday without the Jayhawks in the top 25. Only Nebraska made the list from the Big 12 North.

The Kansas football team was not ranked in the preseason USA Today Coaches' Poll released Friday.

The Jayhawks picked up 138 points in the poll, which put them atop the "Others Receiving Votes" category.

Four Big 12 teams were ranked: Texas at No. 2; Oklahoma at No. 3; Oklahoma State at No. 11; and Nebraska at No. 22. Texas Tech, Missouri and Colorado were the other conference teams that received votes.

The complete poll is below.

USA Today Coaches' Poll

21. Iowa
22. Nebraska
23. Notre Dame
24. Brigham Young
25. Oregon State

Others Receiving Votes
Kansas 138, Michigan State 136, Texas Tech 114, Cincinnati 90, Pittsburgh 64, West Virginia 55, Rutgers 51, Miami (FL) 46, Missouri 44, Illinois 38, Clemson 30, South Carolina 18, UCLA 14, Auburn 12, South Florida 11, Nevada 11, Kentucky 9, North Carolina State 7, Wisconsin 6, Arkansas 6, Northwestern 5, Southern Miss 4, Wake Forest 4, Arizona 3, Boston College 3, Central Michigan 3, East Carolina 3, Colorado 2, Maryland 2, Navy 2, Tennessee 2, Troy 1, Minnesota 1, Michigan 1, Houston 1.

Comments

Kevin Long 10 years, 5 months ago

No big deal to me. I think they weren't ranked in the top 50 at the start of the 07 season and that turned out fine.

JayViking 10 years, 5 months ago

Nebraska at 22? Kansas unranked?

Add it to the list boys!

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 5 months ago

Most coaches don't even make their own picks for the polls, they have some admin. do it for them then the coaches take a "quick glance" and sign off on them. This is how the whole Tebow thing happened during the SEC preseason picks.

labbadabba 10 years, 5 months ago

Awesome. Put THAT on the wall. Saw wood boys!

Chicago_JHawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Not shocking. I'm also not surprised to see NU ahead of us...I think most folks are picking them in the North.

That's why we play the games.

jayhwx3003 10 years, 5 months ago

Notre Dame ranked just amazes me. Clausen sucks. They lost to Syracuse last year....Syracuse???

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 5 months ago

In a college sport where rankings mean little at the end of the season , how can they mean anything at the beginning? Get a Playoff!

Annette Lee 10 years, 5 months ago

I watched Ku vs Usf we were 13 and yeah we were not that good.. now to be fair hatch at LT was better and Patterson cost us a TD.. Now the bowl game I thought the tackles looked pretty good.. so I'm not that worried about the defense, they will be better.. but the OL.. yeah I'm hopping for the best...and if we can get return game then I'll put KU above N and maybe call for an upset!!!!

Eric Williams 10 years, 5 months ago

re: Notre Dame http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0Y7yj...

"...season after season. Year after Year. You try to justify your absurdly high pre-season rankings.."

Enjoy.

kcgregory 10 years, 5 months ago

Not sure I get your point, boulderhawk. This is the only sport rankings DO mean something. the top RANKED teams play for the title, finish RANKED in the top 4 and you're guaranteed a BCS bowl, and the top RANKED team wins divisional tiebreakers in the Big XII. With our schedule I doubt the first two matter, but the third could so where you start matters. All of that said, I'm not too worked up about this.

Waylon Cook 10 years, 5 months ago

O lord we are going to have fun with this;)

Mo Golany 10 years, 5 months ago

UNC ranked ahead of us is a joke. The ACC was terrible last year, that's the only reason they were doing anything plus they lost their bowl game. EAST COAST BIAS WHAT GIVES. not worried this is more poster board material.

Tribehawk 10 years, 5 months ago

But isn't it great that we're all hacked-off about being ranked 26th in a preaseaon poll? That really says something about where we've come as a program. Can't wait for kickoff.

Kyle Crenshaw 10 years, 5 months ago

with the way we finished the year and who we brought back there should be no reason we are unranked. its awesome that we now have this chip on our shoulder but i still hate the lack of respect were getting...

OCJHAWK 10 years, 5 months ago

All we have to do is win in the Big 12 and rankings will follow.

Jonathan Briles 10 years, 5 months ago

jhawk613 I LOVED the video. I cannot stand ND.

Tribehawk I completely agree and was thinking the same thing.

jayhwx3003 10 years, 5 months ago

haha nice vid. Completely agree with OCJHAWK. As long as our defense steps up, which i expect they will, and keeps us in the games against OU and UT, i think the rankings will follow along with individual honors for some of our skill players. I'm really excited for the corn huskers game though. Cant wait.

waywardJay 10 years, 5 months ago

we manage to beat oklahoma or texas or texas tech or nebraska or South Flroida we are ranked this year..... too bad....

Usa Today is News like the View is news. Like Matt Lauer is news. This lacks relevances in my world.

Prove them, wrong boys.

Ryan Sullivan 10 years, 5 months ago

I can't wait to play Nebraska this year. Everybody seems to think that Nebraska is back. We'll help them better manage their expectations.

Cody Stumma 10 years, 5 months ago

I was curious about where KU was in the polls. I first noticed the Coaches Poll on FoxSports and it showed Kansas State in 26.

actorman 10 years, 5 months ago

We don't even have to score 76 against NU this year to make me happy. I think something like 63-14 will work just fine.

Kenneth Hillman 10 years, 5 months ago

Just heard on ESPN that Briscoe is academically ELIGIBLE!!! Awesome!

Joe Baker 10 years, 5 months ago

Looks like they have some work to do. This will push them to play with attitude and something to prove. I like the position because the only way to go is up in the rankings. I'll love watching OU/Texas and some of these others drop like flies.

OK...enough said, let's play some pigskin!!!

I'm going to enjoy this season!!

RCJHKU

Joe Baker 10 years, 5 months ago

I'm here in OKC and hear all about OU and OSU. Maybe I'm bias, but I really think compared to KU, we have a good chance with both teams. OSU is in some melting phase with their players. They have a receiver and QB that are fair, but the QB didn't do too well ly. They have a running back that's fair. I really think if KU shows, we can beat both OU at home. I'm not sure about Texas. OU focuses completely on Texas every year! It's time to bring down the Sooner dynasty. All I hear about is OU/OSU and Texas during football, of course. They barely mention KU in b-ball. It's all fun and can't wait to see KU play OU in Lawrence, in both football and b-ball!!!

djgratt59 10 years, 5 months ago

Notre Dame? Are you joking? I'm Catholic and all and I love Rudy, but Notre Dame?

Dirk Medema 10 years, 5 months ago

Stealth mode is great in my book. We haven't proved anything yet, and glad to have it start that way. Motivated and sawin' wood.

Each year, there are a few teams that are hyped and end up stumbling. Clemson was one of several last year. There are several that would seem to fal into that category this year as well.

OState is this year's TTech IMO. The question is whether it is the '07 TTech that found a D, or the prevous TTech's that had none. Their last bowl game indicated that they are not nearly as deep at WR, tho maybe with a bit stronger run game. Their QB, WR, RB are all good to great.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 5 months ago

For the geeks on a slow Friday afternoon.

The following shows the change in '08 rankings from preseason to final for the AP poll. It is simplified so that every unranked team gets a 26th place, so not completely accurate.

Worth noting, the standard deviation is over 11, which means that any team has a greater than 66% chance of finishing 11 places higher or lower than shown (22+ pt spread). When the highest number you're dealing with is 26, that's not very accurate - as if we didn't know that.

24 Utah 19 TCU 18 Alabama 15 BoiseState 14 PennState 12 Mississippi 11 Oregon Above are the biggest winners 10 OklahomaState 9 Cincinnati 8 OregonState 7 Texas 6 Iowa 5 FloridaState 4 Florida 4 GeorgiaTech 2 MichiganState 2 VirginiaTech 0 TexasTech 0 USC -1 Oklahoma -1 Pittsburgh -3 WakeForest -6 Illinois -7 OhioState -7 SouthFlorida -8 Tennessee -9 BrighamYoung -11 ArizonaState Below are the biggest losers (sorry) -12 Georgia -12 Kansas -13 Missouri -13 Wisconsin -15 WestVirginia -16 Auburn -17 Clemson -19 LSU

okjhok 10 years, 5 months ago

With an 11 standard dev I don't know if your research presents us with any worthwhile findings, but interesting to look at, anyway.
They really should take a look at not releasing a poll until the third or fourth week. It's worth a try. Those that say preseason polls don't mean anything are dead wrong. If you start in the top 5 you still have a realistic shot at a national title with 2 loses. Yes, you need a couple bounces here and there, but it can happen. You start in the 20s or lower, fugetaboutit.

CaramelMacchMan 10 years, 5 months ago

Just like The Dark Knight..

I call this years KU football team "The Dark Underdogs"

Dirk Medema 10 years, 5 months ago

okjhok - The std dev does challenge the research as much as it challenges the credibility of the preseason polls.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 5 months ago

I know people are crying foul about Notre Dame, but I'm shocked not one person has mentioned anything about UNC being in the Top 25? Huh? UNC hasn't had a winning season in a decade since last year (8-5), hasn't won a bowl game in I don't know how long (Lost in their only one last year for quite sometime), and they come in Preseason ranked #20. Something is wrong with this picture. They have done nothing on the field to prove worthy of a ranking. I'm shocked, stunned, and somewhat annoyed that they are ranked.

mbmerriman 10 years, 5 months ago

honestly just a slap in the face, these guys are 20-6 in the last two years. returning the entire offense and we cant get into the preseason top 25? i know it doesnt really matter but i would just like to see some respect for these guys. Notre Dame is not that good and definetly not better than Kansas. Hopefully it is motivation

Eric TheCapn 10 years, 5 months ago

A couple of interesting things on ESPN. A SportsNation poll asks which unranked team deserves to be ranked. It's pretty even between Cincinnati, Kansas, Miami and Michigan State. Bottom left of this page as of Saturday morning - http://espn.go.com/college-football/

Also, someone gave the Jayhawks some major props when talking about rankings yesterday on ESPN. Unfortunately, the video doesn't seem to be up on their site.

-Capn

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 5 months ago

At the end of the season, after all of the bowl games there are still several legitimate claims to number 1. The poles don't matter.

schrephawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Thank you USA Today that is all the ammo this Jayhawk team needed!

dubya 10 years, 5 months ago

Just like announcing preseason candidates for the individual awards, these polls are worthless. Although, they do provide a taste for all of us pigskin starved fans during the dreadful (major) sports months of July and August!

Jason Musick 10 years, 5 months ago

Don't Worry about it. KU will win there first 5 games and will win the North Division this year. I can't say that about the other teams that are listed ahead of Kansas in any top 25 poll..

Rock Chalk Jayhawk