Thursday, August 6, 2009

Jackson returns to Lawrence to benefit youths

Kansas forward Darnell Jackson claps his hands after forcing a turnover on Villanova guard Dwayne Anderson during the first half Thursday, March 28, 2008 at Ford Field in Detroit.

Darnell Jackson to visit Red Dog Run

Darnell Jackson will be back in Lawrence Saturday for the Red Dog Run supporting the Boys and Girls Club. Jackson, a former member, will take time to sign autographs in the community during his visit.

As an eighth grader, Darnell Jackson wasted a lot of time loitering in a park adjacent to the Boys and Girls Club of Oklahoma City.

One day, the self-proclaimed troublemaker decided to swing open the doors of the club’s gymnasium.

His life would never be the same.

“Guys were in there playing basketball. Cory Colbert (of B&G; club) said, ‘Do you play?’ I said, ‘No, I never have,’” said former Kansas University power forward Jackson, now a second-year member of the NBA’s Cleveland Cavaliers.

“Cory said, ‘Come here every day. Play basketball. Trust me. You will enjoy it and you will make something out of your life.’’’

Jackson, who had no father figure growing up, built positive relationships with Colbert and other individuals — young and old — at the Boys and Girls Club of OKC.

“I went there every day through high school. I still go there when I’m back. Without the Boys and Girls Club, I don’t know where I’d be. I don’t think I’d be in the NBA now,” said Jackson, who is determined to give back to the organization that he said turned his life around.

Jackson — he’ll hold a pizza party at the club in OKC later this summer — on Saturday will sign autographs from 9 a.m. until noon at the Dillons on 6th and Wakarusa. A $5 donation is suggested for the autographs with all proceeds to benefit Boys and Girls Club. He’ll also visit with spectators 15 minutes before the start of Saturday’s Boys and Girls Club Red Dog Run, set for 8 a.m. at the Kansas River levee behind Johnny’s Tavern.

“Lawrence ... it’s my home,” said Jackson, who first visited the Boys and Girls Club of Lawrence his junior year at KU, taking a tour with Cathy Theisen, the club’s current board president.

“I look forward to seeing all the kids from the club. I’m excited. A lot of kids get to see me, Mario (Chalmers) and my former teammates on TV, but never get to meet us in person. You never know. By talking to the kids, you may change one of their lives forever.”

The 23-year-old Jackson grew emotional when asked to pinpoint the best advice given to him at the OKC Boys and Girls Club.

“To never quit,” Jackson said. “Sometimes kids are told by people close to them, ‘You will not make anything out of your life.’ Kids start to believe that. Don’t believe anybody else’s words. Believe you can do anything. Believe in yourself.”

A lightly recruited player in high school, Jackson blossomed at KU. He was an integral factor in the Jayhawks winning the 2008 NCAA title.

The second-round NBA draft pick averaged 1.9 points, 1.7 rebounds and 8.4 minutes a game in 51 games (two starts) his rookie season for a talented Cavaliers team that reached the Eastern Conference finals.

“I was on the No. 1 team in the NBA my first year. We were that close to winning it all,” said the 6-foot-9, 253-pound Jackson.

“I’m excited about next season. We’ve added ‘Big Diesel,’’’ he added of 7-1, 325-pound Shaquille O’Neal.

“Shaq is one of the best big men on the block ever. Just how old he is ... the presence he has ... I’ll learn a lot from him. You have to double team him at all times. He should help everybody on our team.”

That includes phenom LeBron James, who is in the final year of his contract with the Cavs.

“I’m not worried about it. I don’t think the coaches are worried about it,” Jackson said of James perhaps leaving after this season. “He’s from Cleveland and likes it there. It’ll come down to being his choice. We can’t read his mind.”

Jackson hopes to earn some significant minutes next to LeBron and Shaq this season. He played for the Cavs’ summer league team and most recently has been in Las Vegas a week working out and playing pick-up basketball with other NBA big men.

“I keep pushing myself,” Jackson said. “It’s something you have to have inside you.”

Something instilled in him by those at the Boys and Girls Clubs of Oklahoma and Lawrence.

Comments

CaramelMacchMan 10 years, 5 months ago

DJ- you are the man.

This guy is a real story.

From Quitting Basketball to playing with Lebron James and Big Diesel.

Ladies and Gents. You can pretty much do anything if you want to. So get up and do it. No matter what your age is. (Tom Watson is the example)

waywardJay 10 years, 5 months ago

Darnell Jackson is a great example of what Playing basketball at Kansas can ddo for you, and what playing basketball at Kansas means to the community you grew up in. This is a GREAT storty.

Thanks DJack, Have fun clownin' with Shaq and Bronnie. Oh and hopefully a title.

Scott MacWilliams 10 years, 5 months ago

I've always loved guys like Darnell Jackson, because they prove that you CAN grow into your dreams, if you stay at it and bust your buns every day. When you consider the family tragedies he had to deal with while at KU, it just shows how much character DJ has shown all of us.

Keep growing and keep going DJ! You know the Jayhawk Nation will always be pulling for you, truly one of the favorite sons. Maybe you'll be the first Jayhawk (in how long, anybody?) to add an NBA title ring to you NC ring??

waywardJay 10 years, 5 months ago

Russell Robinson is a GREAT fit for Cleveland,too. It's a situation where he can pass to guys who will finish ( Bron and Shaq ) and his defense will be WELL appreciated.

chicagoeddie 10 years, 5 months ago

DJ cant wait to see you play and hopefully start someday with the Cavs or any team that is blessed to have you! Rock Chalk!

KANSTUCKY 10 years, 5 months ago

Herds of youths can be inspired by this.

mjlindsm 10 years, 5 months ago

I love Jackson as much as the next Kansas fan, but what's up with everyone always saying he wasn't highly recruited out of high school? He was a top-60 guy in the Rivals 100 in high school. It seems everyone likes the story of a guy without much talent and not recruited much working hard to the point he's an NBA player. I'm not saying Jackson hasn't worked his butt off to improve, but he's a heck of an athlete and was highly regarded coming out of high school.

Tim Orel 10 years, 5 months ago

Maybe I missed something somewhere, but when did Paul Pierce get an NC ring? That's what GBJayhawk was getting at. I can't remember if anyone off the 89 team got one (Manning?), but I'm really hoping someone from the '08 team gets an NBA title and soon.

hammr25 10 years, 5 months ago

Darnell Jackson's mom should be very proud of the man she raised.

championhawks 10 years, 5 months ago

You mean the 88 team? And Manning didn't get one. His last year was with Detroit the year before they won it all.

KUFan90 10 years, 5 months ago

DJ's story is an incredible inspiration. It's so wonderful to see his dedication to helping others try and create similar successful life stories.

GO DJ!!

jerhawk 10 years, 5 months ago

dj is great! kudos out to the national champs, lets hope we get another banner to be put up. go hawks, rock chalk

jaybate 10 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Jackson, once again you show the right stuff. Once again you make me ashamed of myself for having once upon a time called you 5kDarnell. Once again, you define manhood.

It remains a privilege to say I went to the same university that you did.

Lebron James will stay put, if they match the money that any other team offers, because Cleveland is home, because Shaq is a winner, because you are a winner, and because Lebron won't find team mates any where else more fun and inspiring to be around than you and Shaq. Great players know they can do just about anything themselves, so they know that the key to achieving greatness is to have great persons around them. Oh, Cleveland may need to bring in a great coach, but your Cleveland coach has done a pretty darn good job so far. I guessed he had the right stuff, when he recognized what you could bring to a team. I am hoping your coach proves to be a winner, who can bring your team the rings it deserves.

Rock chalk.

mdfraz 10 years, 5 months ago

I'll echo what several others have said, but as enjoyable as it was to watch DJ improve and grow on the court over his career at KU, and to see the success he has had, I'm infinitely more impressed with how he has handled himself as a person. His background was pretty rough from what I've read over the years, and a lot of his friends ended up in jail or dead down in OKC. How easy would it have been for him to fall into that path. I know that DJ struggled even at KU with personal and family issues that would have been too tough for many people to handle. He fought through it all, and his can be considered the epitome of a success story.

To see that he is grateful for the people that helped him get on the right track when he was younger, and to see that he is giving back like he is is extremely impressive and inspiring. It's also great as a Jayhawk and a Lawrencian to see the impact KU and Lawrence had on him; looks like no matter where he roams in life, Lawrence will always be with him. If there were more DJ's in the world, it would be a MUCH better place.

Thanks for doing the right things Darnell, both on and off the court.

Joe Ross 10 years, 5 months ago

agree, md...darnell is a quality person. when so many young kids let negative experiences in life lead them to poor choices, darnell endured the hardships and used them to make him better. now hes reaping the rewards.

what a guy!

mdfraz 10 years, 5 months ago

It remains a privilege to say I went to the same university that you did. -jaybate

Me too.

E4KUJHawks 10 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Jackson you are an inspiration to us all!!! Thank you for everything you have given us, and continue to give us.

JayViking 10 years, 5 months ago

Me three!!!

Wish you could have played at KU forever Darnell!!!!!

labbadabba 10 years, 5 months ago

Okay - this is really starting to tick me off. I love Darnell Jackson and his story. He truly is an example to follow.

HOWEVER...today is the official start of KU Football. It is the start of the KU 2009-2010 sports calendar. Today should be a day of FOOTBALL celebration.

The only thing I see on LJW is 2 fluff basketball pieces. KU is trying build a football following not just in the student population but in the population overall. As long as basketball is getting stuffed down our throats on the opening day of what could be KU's biggest season in football we will never have a truly legit program or fanbase.

MIZZOU is laughing at us!

rawkhawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Relax labbadabba. This is a timely article in that Darnell is coming to Lawrence Saturday. There are things happening in the off season that relate to basketball, much as there are with football. I look forward to both seasons...could be another great year.

Darnell is one of my favorite Jayhawks. In my office, I have a picture of him dunking the ball. Whenever I need a pick-me-up, I'll look at that monster dunk

Joe Baker 10 years, 5 months ago

Hey DJ if you read this, come back home and give a little of that KU spirit to some of these kids here in OKC. I think it would be huge to hear and see a guy of your stature that grew up and went to school in Midwest City. I know many transplanted Jayhawks, alum, fans, etc would love to have you come to OKC area. The kids in the club would be ecstatic to hear your story.

RCJHKU

labbadabba 10 years, 5 months ago

rawkhawk/jwliddel -

Agree that this article is relevant and timely to Darnell. I think it's great, don't get me wrong. I have no problem with the article or even that it was posted today. Let's not judge too quickly or harshly.

My issue is that there should be something for football.

My point is that the staff knew this day was coming. They should have position break-downs ready, camp battles projected, interviews, previews, pictures, SOMETHING. It just seems awfully minor-league of us to have a program with BCS potential and aspirations beginning its most anticipated season in decades and not even have a snippet for Day 1. Nothing.

kugrad93 10 years, 5 months ago

I grow weary of alleged KU fans complaining that they want more football coverage and less basketball news. The amount of play the two sports get in the J-W are totally unrelated.

Unlike many media outlets in our area, the J-W has different beat reporters for the two sports. So it's not like Bedore wrote the DJ story INSTEAD OF a football piece. Bedore covers basketball year round and cranks out an insane amount of copy. He's been doing it for more than 20 years. Dugan covers KU football.

Unfortunately for Dugan and football fans, Mangino limits media access to himself, players and staff much more than Self does with his program. In addition, there are numerous NBA and other pro basketball players who come back to Lawrence in the summer to do camps and charity work that make easy, interesting stories. How many football players do the same? Not many, apparently.

Thus, it is A LOT harder to crank out football copy in the offseason compared to hoops. Contrary to labbadabba's comments, Sept. 5 is the official start of the football season. Tomorrow is the start of practices. Today is the day players report, get their gear, take physicals and go to meetings. Yeah, that's pretty exciting stuff. The J-W should have a two-page color spread (like they do for every single game) for such an important event.

Likely there will be some photos and news tomorrow. Geez, impatient much?

If you wanna complain about the lack of KU football coverage in the J-W, or any other paper, TV station, Web site or radio station, tell it to Mangino. Not that he cares. This is the way he's been doing it for eight years, and the program seems to be doing just fine.

Terry Allen was super friendly with the media and let reporters talk to players DURING PRACTICE. Maybe you guys would like to bring TA back so you can get more access to important news like equipment being handed out.

E4KUJHawks 10 years, 5 months ago

Darnell is a KU hero, and deserves an article about his endeavors, regardless what season it is. NO OFFENSE labbadabba, but who gives a hoot what mu thinks of our homepage article...they wish they had a Darnell Jackson in their school's history, to write about. GO DJ, and GO KU!!! Tis a good day to be 'Hawk, no matter what's on the homepage.

Besides, be thankful it's DJ and not Bill Snyder or Gary Pinkel. :/

mdfraz 10 years, 5 months ago

Ya know, kugrad, the BS excuse of "Mangino doesn't allow blah, blah, blah" doesn't hold much water. There are a bunch of articles/topics that could be explored by motivated reporters without KU and Mangino spoon feeding it to them, but I just wonder after reading much of his work how motivated Dugie is to cover KU football. More football articles don't necessarily mean there have to be less basketball articles. The problem isn't the beat writers, it's the management. Football season is imminent. Basketball is three months away (according to your logic that the season doesn't start until the first game..........funny how many people seem to think basketball starts in October), football is less than one month away. The point is, although the LJW knows there are tons of KU basketball fans out there, they don't seem to really care all that much about football fans, of which there are an appreciable and growing number. There are articles in the Topeka paper and the Salina paper about KU football practices, but nothing in the hometown paper. How on earth did those other papers get material to write about????

The article on Darnell was timely and a good read. I'm not knocking it or saying it shouldn't be in the paper today, nor is labba, if I'm reading his comments accurately. The question is, how pathetic is it that a newspaper in the heart of KSUck country, located two hours away from Lawrence, writes an article (at least partially) about KU football but the LJW doesn't? That's a joke. Maybe the LJW has huge plans once practices start, but I won't hold my breath.

The attitude still is that we are a basketball school and that we can't be anything but a basketball school? Why? Who says we can't be good at both? Who says fans have to pick just one sport to support or be interested in? Apparently the LJW.

Chicago_JHawk 10 years, 5 months ago

GBJayhawk- I believe Clyde Lovellette is the only KU alum with rings for both NCAA and NBA Championships (KU 1952, Minneapolis Lakers 1954).

labbadabba 10 years, 5 months ago

took the words out of my mouth mdfraz

Over at RockChalkTalk we've had discussions for weeks on player breakdowns, position battles, possible weaknesses and strengths.

You can't tell me that the home town paper can't even have a blurb?

Michael Auchard 10 years, 5 months ago

A lot of guys talk the talk, but D-Block walks it. I'm usually cynical beyond my years, but this guy is just a great human being.

kugrad93 10 years, 5 months ago

I'm not saying Mangino should spoon feed anyone (thanks for that visual). I'm saying it's hard to write a good article with no quotes, and it's hard to get quotes when the head coach isn't talking and he won't let you interview your players or staff. Maybe the C-J used quotes leftover from Big 12 media day? I don't know.

Again, the basketball story is about a FORMER player whose media access isn't controlled by a KU coach.

Yeah, the J-W should have had a brief that said players report today, but again, nothing is really happening today. The news is tomorrow. In the last nine days, the J-W has had 11 briefs or stories (not counting Mayer's column) on football. That's not bad for the offseason.

10 years, 5 months ago

Chicago_JHawk et al ~

I believe someone mentioned this a week or so ago, but Mark Randall is probably the last Jayhawk to win a National Championship ('87-'88 team) and an NBA Championship ('91-'92 Bulls).

I have said it before, however it bears repeating: Darnell Jackson epitomizes what any athletic program would love to have as an ambassador. We are extremely fortunate to have him as one of ours.

labbadabba 10 years, 5 months ago

The point is the sports culture in Lawrence just simply defaults to Basketball - which is totally understandable. But let's look at it this way:

The Chiefs are the biggest ticket in KC. They started camp and there were stories galore in the KC star. They had whole articles that started with the players just arriving at camp. They segued into different scenarios that may play out during the season. Matt Cassel could fart and it would be headline news. You don't need much to fill a 1,000 words. That's because the Chiefs are the hot item right now in KC.

In Lawrence, the Jayhaks are at the top of the ticket. Yet somehow, on the 1st day, the day where everything starts a year that could eclipse 2007-2008. Nothing. How does that look to a recruit who may happen to pick up the paper or search online for KU news? How are we supposed to consider ourselves a legit football program?

Again, I have NO issue with the Darnell Jackson article. I enjoyed it. But I also would have been thrilled to read an article on Angus Quigley's transition to LB, or backup QB battles to watch during camp, or a breakdown of recruits whom we didn't see in Spring Ball. It's not hard.

Chicago_JHawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Good call, txrockchalk. I forgot about Randall.

Rivethead 10 years, 5 months ago

kugrad93.....Coach Mangino learned from Coach Stoops. And Coach Stoops is way more limiting to the media than Coach Mangino.

Now, go do a quick search of OU media outlets, see how much content there is, and come back and tell us how stupid your comments are.

Actually your "I don't know" comment pretty much sums you up perfectly.

kugrad93 10 years, 5 months ago

Chiefs camp is open to the media and the public. They want coverage. KU's practice field is not the vast majority of the time. Not a good comparison at all. Horrible in fact.

The Oklahoma newspapers are dreadful (Jenny Carlson is a featured columnist for god's sake), and I've got no interest in OU. So no thanks.

mdfraz 10 years, 5 months ago

grad, you don't need quotes to write a story. Go talk about recruits for the coming year. Discuss the fact that it appears we have fallen off the radar for maybe the biggest recruit for 2010, Justin McCay. Analyze rosters and depth charts. Compare our roster to other schools in the Big 12. That's probably been done to a certain degree here and there, but really how hard is that to do?

Yes, there have been more articles about the football team lately, and I and others have made positive comments about that. Still, as labba says, how about even a small blurb about the fact that guys are coming in today, and practice starts tomorrow? How about the fact (noted in the Salina and Topeka papers) that there will be an open practice next week (as you point out, a rarity under Mangino)? Find a story on your own. Wow. There's a new concept. Rivet makes a good point. Think OU fans have to beg for coverage on their team?

Again, nothing against the Darnell article; I wrote a post well before any comments were made about the lack of football coverage. But why is it so much to ask that the Lawrence newspaper covers the football team at KU? And really, as of today, it's not the offseason any more. At least not for the players, and arguably for the hard core fans.

kugrad93 10 years, 5 months ago

Yes, I agree that they should have had something to acknowledge that things are getting started.

My points were that A) Bedore shouldn't get slammed for doing his job, which has nothing to do with football coverage; and B) Mangino doesn't make it easy for the beat writers to do their jobs compared to the way Self does things. That's Mangino's right, but it does lead to uneven coverage of the two most popular sports.

mdfraz , you are correct that some analysis-type coverage or an opinion piece could have been done without access to the team. But I guarantee someone on these boards would have complained about that too, calling it lazy reporting when in fact it would have been an issue of access, not work ethic.

There are some people on here who are not satisfied no matter what. I find comparisons to the Star a joke. The J-W has a tiny fraction of the staff and resources the Star can throw at something.

mdfraz 10 years, 5 months ago

That's fine if you think people would have complained regardless of the article, but you and I and anyone else who pays any attention to the football program is aware of the limited access allowed by Mangino. So, if someone wanted to criticize an article that was actually written, esp. if it actually was aimed at the lack of access, that person's argument loses it's steam as uninformed.

Neither labba nor I (nor anyone else that I saw) slammed Bedore for writing this article. My comments and labba's were both complimentary of the article and DJ. It has much more to do with the focus of the LJW in general. I don't expect Bedore to write football articles, but I do expect the editors to encourage as many football articles from the football beat writers as possible. They had done a solid job of improving the amount of football coverage the last month, and I believe by most of the big football fans, that was greatly appreciated.

liddel-An email is one way to go, definitely, and could be done in addition to any comments on here, but as you concede, a lot of the writers do read these comments. It's almost as effective a way to express one's point as an email. Plus, if there's an email, no one else knows what was said. Here, the people that agree/disagree with labba's sentiments can make their opinions heard too. We could have had this discussion in the comments section of a football article today, but there wasn't one...........

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 5 months ago

after a quick google search, Randall was drafted by the Bulls prior to their 91-92 championship season, but he only played 15 games for them before he was traded to the Timberwolves.

While he was part of the team for part of the championship year, he was not part of the team when they actually won the championship. He was a redshirt at KU in 87-88 when we won the championship, but was very much a part of the team having played the year before as a freshman and practiced up Danny Manning most of the year.

labbadabba 10 years, 5 months ago

Thanks JW - point taken.

Grad - I'm not coming down on Gary. JW is right, my ire might be slightly misdirected here. My frustration is not at all with this article or with Gary, it's with the overall culture surrounding KU football and its coverage. I doubt seriously that any real fan would criticize a football article that breaks down any one of the many potential topics that have been listed above.

As for the newspaper comparison, I'm not equating resources when it comes to the Star (which incidentally is missing any mention of KU football as well) and the LJW. My point is that it's evident that the Chiefs are the primary concern and focus of the hometown paper. In the Lawrence hometown paper, that doesn't seem to be the case...at least not here, today, the first day.

JW, I will send an e-mail to the staff - thanks.

kugrad93 10 years, 5 months ago

mdfraz said: We could have had this discussion in the comments section of a football article today, but there wasn't one...........

Great comment.

I can't speculate on what Dugan was doing yesterday, but just as an FYI I'll throw out the fact that at small papers like the J-W sports writers often have to do other things like help lay out pages for the print edition, proof pages, edit stories, code box scores, take phone calls, etc. It's a time consuming and fairly thankless job (ie., reader criticism, difficult sources, super long hours, regular travel to exotic locales like Waco and College Station, unpaid overtime and low pay). There's a reason Dugan is the fifth football beat writer they've had in the last 11 or 12 seasons.

mdfraz 10 years, 5 months ago

I'm not even necessarily blaming Dugie for not writing an article. I'm sure he has other responsibilities. It's an matter of focus for the LJW, and has been for a while. For most of the 12 years I've been in Lawrence, basketball has dominated the coverage, and rightly so. However, with a football program on the rise, they should be part of the group to lead the way in providing much more coverage. I'm not saying all of a sudden we are a football school or that there shouldn't still be a big focus on basketball. I HATE the attitude so many people around Lawrence and KC have that we are only a basketball school. How stupid is that? Why limit yourselves if you don't have to? If you are truly a fan of the school and its athletics, you should want ALL sports to do well. It's an attitude that makes me sick. And don't even get me started on people who claim to be (or that claimed to be in the past decade) fans of KU basketball and KSUck football. If that's how you do it, I don't want you as a fan. Sorry, got off on a tangent there.........

I'm just pointing out that with a more successful team, more people want to read about football. And today/tomorrow would be spectacular days to write SOMETHING about the team officially getting things started this year. I'm anticipating at least one article tomorrow, if not more, so we will see what happens.

kugrad93 10 years, 5 months ago

All good points. When I lived in Lawrence I went to watch baseball, soccer, volleyball, etc. Too many people only care about two teams, or in some cases only one.

When my daughter is a little older I'm hoping she will enjoy going to games, and not just football and basketball. We have taken her to see the Royals and the T-Bones but have not made it back over to Lawrence yet. You can only ask so much of a 2-year-old's attention span.

mdfraz 10 years, 5 months ago

I've been to probably 25 or so baseball games in my years here, at least a couple softball games, a few volleyball games, and a couple women's basketball games in addition to a bunch of men's games and probably 50 football games. As a two time grad of KU, I like to think I'm a fan of the entire university. I don't expect people to necessarily follow every single sport, but too many people focus solely on basketball and a lot of people badmouth any other sport, which simply blows my mind.

labbadabba 10 years, 5 months ago

Agreed. Fox College Sports has been running many of the 2008 KU football games in rotation. I've been maxing out my DVR just so I can relive some glory. I even watched a replay of the USF game last year on ESPNU. Man we shoulda pulled that one out.

kugrad93 10 years, 5 months ago

That is hardcore watching the USF game again. It was bad enough the first time.

mdfraz 10 years, 5 months ago

The D was awful in that game really, but it hurts to know that if Todd leads that last pass just about 2 yards further, not only do they not pick the pass, we are in scoring position with time on the clock. Hurts to even think about. Too many missed opportunities.

labbadabba 10 years, 5 months ago

Yes, but J Wilson had a GAME. Man was he good. Briscoe disappeared so that hurt but Crawford ran the ball somewhat decently.

Yeah - our D couldn't do anything in the 3rd quarter but neither could Todd really. Spikes started getting overwhelmed at LT by Selvie and we had a possession time of like 45 seconds on 3 possessions in the 3rd quarter. That hurt.

I had to watch the game-winning field goal 4-5 times. What a crazy kick. It started WAY right and kept going. Then about 10 yard from the upright you see a gust move the flags on the goalpost and the ball just, and I mean JUST, slipped inside. It was so close.

There was another little turning point, where Wilson and Patterson ran the same route by accident into the endzone, Reesing threw a bullet to a wide-open Wilson but Patterson thought it was meant for him and ended up deflecting the pass, KU settled for a short FG.

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 5 months ago

I really hope we can get the ball in Daymond Patterson's hands this year. Kid is fast. Is he playing offense or defense this year? I haven't heard anything on him

100 10 years, 5 months ago

KU fans support all sports, bowling & debate included. LJW knows what we like to read. Often they write great football stories & we gobble them up. It just so happens basketball has been a homerun for the local press since Naismith came to town (ironic as he was a freshman football coach before he had any basketball program here).

(ironic, too, as Naismith, the inventor of the forward pass in football, was also a valuable assistant coach on that 1899 football team that went 12-0, pulling much of his playing days' tactics from Springfield to Lawrence)

But lets be real here, its Lawrence & we always read the basketall stories with fervor. And do you really think Missouri fans give a cr*p what local Lawrence papers are publishing? Do they not have anything better to do than to make fun of a basketball headline in our paper?

C'mon, fellow Hawks (by the way, talk about an easy real fan weed out check: those of you who know the truth of one of KU's best teams ever knows Paul Pierce's 97 team came up short & also should know Manning unfortunately never won an NBA ring)

Let's keep this in perspective.

100 10 years, 5 months ago

On a sidenote what a novel idea by a few fans above:

How about a site completely dedicated to just KU football stories. You would need a few things.

1. Daily stories -- at least two good ones.

*2. Great, thought provoking, solid interviews.

1. Great analysis -- analyzing other teams realistically as well as ours.

2. The recruiting buzz -- easily garnered from Rivals.

3. Money/ & or sponsers -- with the Internet, maybe not nearly as much $ is needed as you wouldve needed two decades ago to "print" & "distribute". But still, writers/ interviewers/ lunches during interviews/ transportation has to be paid & it's still nearly impossible to get an interview with a bigtime program like KU without journalistic credentials -- put another way, an educated staff with the proper degrees & journalistic integrity is a must.

It's past time for a site like this at KU -- like most of us, my heart pumps blood for KU basketball, but I would definitely check out a KU football site on a daily basis.

jaybate 10 years, 5 months ago

KU football?

I want them to do well.

Maybe if the KU football program were started by the guy who invented football, and the first truly great coach who developed football had been a KU coach, and if KU's football program were one of the winningest football programs ever, and if KU football had down through they years been lead by several of the greatest coaches of all time in the sport, then maybe I would live and die with KU football and try to grok the legacy through them.

No, it wouldn't be the same.

Football is not basketball.

Basketball is the greatest game ever invented by human beings.

Basketball is the deepest myth in sport.

Football is what kids do in autumn, when its cold and it feels good to rough house.

Basketball is the holy grail.

mjlindsm 10 years, 5 months ago

The great thing about the internet is, like ralster points out, it's self-customizing. You don't have to thumb through any articles you don't want to to find what you're looking for. You can just click on football and you're there. Amazing!

I grew up a Kansas basketball fan and have kept the allegiance, but have never really been into college football as a whole. Is there anything wrong with that? I sure don't think so. So I click on the basketball stories only, and it's great, I have just the articles I want. I suggest you folks do the same with football.

Jonathan Briles 10 years, 5 months ago

PlasticJhawk

Daymond Patterson is going to be primarily on defense this year. He will be playing corner back, but don't worry he will still be getting the ball in his hands because he is the projected starter at Punt Returns. I also imagine that with his great hands he will have a few interceptions and maybe make some good things happen after he gets them. He is incredibly fast but what makes him even better is the control of his speed. He is so shifty and changes gears so fluently its amazing. Watch his punt return vs FIU. He blazes and even jumps over a would be tackler. I cant wait to watch him over the years.

labbadabba 10 years, 5 months ago

Ralster -

I do click on the 'football' tab. There's nothing new there despite being day 1.

And if you look at my first message, the first thing I say is something nice about Mr. Jackson.

The reason why I made my point on a basketball article is that I had no choice. Had I had a football article to post on today, I would have. I love all the KU sports programs and I am an active KU blogger. I love KU basketball and have been following the program since the mid-80's. My point is that it seems rather strange that there's NO mention of the KU football program on the first day of perhaps our most anticipated season ever. I'd bet my first-born other 2-sport schools like, I don't know, Texas, would at least have a mention that the team has reported in the hometown paper.

labbadabba 10 years, 5 months ago

mjlindsm -

It's fine that you're a KU basketball fan only. It seems that's how many people in Lawrence feel. I realize you can choose what you want to read on the internet. I read the article, I enjoyed it, I think Darnell is great and is a great story. I have no issue with this article at all. I have no issues with any of the basketball articles. I know it's our bread and butter, I'm not stupid.

However, not to have any football (jeez, how many times have I made this point now?) articles on day 1 for a nationally ranked program with BCS aspirations seems more than a bit strange to me.

kshaw04 10 years, 5 months ago

I know others have complained about the advertising for the Evony game that appears on the KUSports pages. Someone provided a suggestion for software that prevents this type of advertising from showing on your browser screen. If you happen to see this post, could you provide the link again? Thanks.

kshaw04 10 years, 5 months ago

I should also add that every time I read about how Darnell Jackson represents himself, his current team, the Cavaliers, and the Jayhawks I am beyond impressed. He is truly a wonderful example of what it means to responsibly pursue not only his career in the NBA but efforts to help others. I still believe the letter he wrote after the draft that was posted on the LJW was incredible and should be shared with all incoming freshman and with all players who are finishing their careers at KU. Heck, why not share it with all the players. I'm actually in KC for an extended stay this month and I may have to go to Lawrence this weekend. Living in Seattle, I had to remind myself when I read the article that I was actually here!

keith horinek 10 years, 5 months ago

DJ and Russrob were my two favorite players on the national championship team. does anybody have more information on Russell and Cleveland Cav's.? I always hoped he would get on a team in the NBA.

alonzojamisonrocks 10 years, 5 months ago

dj is the man hope he makes the cavs roster with shaq in town