Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Reesing for Heisman?

Would KU consider a campaign for its quarterback?

Kansas University quarterback Todd Reesing throws against Texas in this Nov. 15 file photo at Memorial Stadium.

This is a guy who finished the 2008 season ranked in the top 10 nationally in passing yards, passing yards per game, total offense and completions, who has helped lead Kansas to 20 victories in the past two seasons, to the program’s first BCS bowl and to its first Big 12 North title — which it shared with Missouri in ’07.

Which raises the question: With his senior season just weeks away, would coach Mark Mangino and his Kansas program ever consider a “Reesing for Heisman” campaign?

P.R.-ing players

“No, I don’t think that’s what we do here.”

That’s Jake Sharp, the Jayhawks’ senior running back. He has been at Kansas for four years. Played with some fine athletes. Future NFL Draft picks, in fact. And nothing in his past experiences seems to make him believe that something like this would occur.

“I think, basically, our play on the field is what’s going to put you in a position like that,” he says. “We’re just not the kind of program that’s going to go out there P.R.-ing guys.”

Recently, however, there have been a number of college football programs who seem to have no problem at all “P.R.-ing” their guys.

The present-day examples of processed Heisman hype are numerous and, in many cases, well documented. In 2001, for instance, the University of Oregon famously paid a quarter of a million dollars to put a 100-foot billboard of quarterback Joey Harrington in New York City, while Texas Tech last season earned national recognition for its campaign “Pass or Catch 2008,” which touted receiver Michael Crabtree and quarterback Graham Harrell as two of the country’s best college football players.

Entering the 2009 season, meanwhile, Tennessee has created a campaign that includes a sophisticated Web site dedicated to getting the word out on junior safety Eric Berry, as well as the use of multiple electronic billboards and an inflatable jersey that will stand outside the team’s stadium on game days. Clemson, meanwhile, plans to send out 6-foot posters of star running back C.J. Spiller.

If history is any indication, more schools will follow.

Are campaigns effective?

A “Reesing for Heisman” campaign? Nah, says Angus Quigley.

Like Sharp, Quigley is a longtime veteran of the Kansas locker room. He knows its ins and outs. He knows pretty much what to expect and when to expect it.

What he does not expect is that you’ll see any kind of individual promotion anytime soon.

“People know who Kerry (Meier) is, people know who Todd is, who (Darrell) Stuckey is,” Quigley says. “They know who they are. You don’t need a parade or a marching band with you sitting on the back of a Mustang or something, driving down Mass. (Street). If you’re good, you’re going to get the Heisman votes. That’s the way I see it.”

He has a point — at least in the eyes of Oklahoma senior associate athletic director Kenny Mossman.

What’s more, he says, some trustworthy data indicate that flashy campaigns often fall upon deaf ears.

A few years back, Mossman had a graduate assistant working in his office who was in need of a thesis project. Mossman, long intrigued by the phenomenon of the Heisman campaign, suggested the student contact national media members in an attempt to gauge their effectiveness.

“The information he gathered indicated what I always kind of thought,” said Mossman, “which is that, yeah, they like them, they think they’re cute and everything, but it really didn’t have any bearing on how their vote was cast.”

Of the past 10 Heisman winners — including Tim Tebow in ’07 and Sam Bradford in ’08 — none was the beneficiary of a particularly stout Heisman campaign, and there is some belief that the pressure of being touted as college football’s finest early on can hinder a player’s performance throughout the year.

“I think you’d be too busy thinking about how I have to go out and throw for 400 yards because if I don’t, fans are going to be commenting on the Web sites,” Quigley says. “No, you just need to go out and play. When you’re underrated, which they usually do to us here at KU ... you’ve just got to go out and play. No pressure on you. Just go out and win.”

Faith in voters

Punter Alonso Rojas can’t really see it happening, but he hasn’t been around that long, he says, and if Mangino can help his players in any way, he tends to do it.

Brad Thorson is also new, and he says give it a few games, and if the stats are there, who knows?

Finally, you get the chance to ask Mangino himself.

Except, by now, you’re convinced you already know the answer. But you ask the question, anyway.

And this is what Mangino says: “You’ve got to go out and play well and have a great start to your season and prove that you belong in that group. And if we felt that (was the case), we would.”

Naturally, he attaches some stipulations to this statement.

First off, Reesing (or whoever else might be worthy) would have to earn the campaign by putting up the kind of early-season numbers worthy of a Heisman candidate.

Second, it would be a simple ordeal. No parades or skyscraper-sized billboards in the middle of Manhattan.

Most likely, he tells you, it would involve mailing letters to voters informing them of Reesing’s qualifications.

But, no, he says, he would not necessarily be against it.

Of course, a minute later, he admits that — despite his willingness to call attention a player he felt deserved special consideration — he’s pretty sure it wouldn’t make much of a difference in the end.

“I have faith in the voters,” Mangino said. “People that are Heisman voters, I don’t think they’re won over by billboards or advertisements. They study the facts. They’ve been entrusted to have that vote, and they look beyond all that Madison Avenue stuff.”

Comments

stravinsky 10 years, 9 months ago

The depressing thing is that the Heisman trophy seems not to be the award for Best-Player-In-College-Football but rather the Best-Junior-Or-Senior-QB/RB-In-A-Top-Five-Team-Preferably-About-To-Lose-A-National-Championship-Game.

In the BCS era, the Heisman Trophy winner has been in the national championship game seven out of eleven years, and only winning the title once (Leinart). The Heisman Winner has been in BCS bowls eight of eleven years, and in a BCS bowl every year but one since 1999. Hmm. Best player with a defense that can make him look good and a team that can put him in contention for a national title. Only Tebow really broke the trend, and well, he's ridiculous.

As much as I'd love to see Reesing in the serious running for Heisman, it's not something I'm going to get my hopes up for.

theboehr 10 years, 9 months ago

He'd have to have some ridiculously good numbers (not impossible at all for Reesing) and a ridiculously good record for the season (13-0 or 12-1) which will be the much more difficult part, given our South opponents this year. CAN it be done? Yes. WILL it be done? Well, that's the fun of watching college football, we'll just have to wait and see.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Nice aricle, Doogie. Great to see a solid, researched football piece.

I don't think advertising makes a difference, but ESPN coverage and analyst discussion, unfortunately, does. However, I would like our guys to get some games under their belt before we engage in this discussion. Although it does excite me to think about it....

Anyone else interested in skipping over the month of August??

Eurekahwk 10 years, 9 months ago

Journalists are so vain. Do you actually think schools carry out campaigns so that their players can win the Heisman? It has nothing to do with that at all. It is all about creating an image for future recruits. If your team is lucky enough to have a guy on it that deserves national recognition, then you are stupid if you don't run a campaign.

When you walk into the living room of the next big star, you can tell him about the Heisman campaign that he could be apart of in the future. KU football has NOTHING to sell five star recruits. We can NEVER get them to come here. Unless, they know that they have a chance to be as big time at Kansas as they can for the powers of the South. KU, Lew, and Mark Mangino will be all the dumber if they don't pimp Todd Reesing as much as possible. Television only picks up your games if you have something to sell. Recruits only take notice in your program if you have something to sell.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 9 months ago

Eurekahwk - "KU football has nothing to sell five star recruits. We can NEVER get them to come here."

Justin McCay is still a possibility for '10.

"Television only picks up your games if you have something to sell."

Like our 4 non-con games?

The Heisman possibilities and the recruits come as a result of winning FB. They don't come overnight. They are coming more and more as we continue to saw wood.

jhawk23 10 years, 9 months ago

Very good article and comments today.

(except Eureka)

farnamjayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Eurekahwk.....NEVER is a very long time and saying we have nothing to sell is just plain wrong. Recruits go to different schools for many reasons and Coach Mangino has laid the groundwork for success. Recruits want to win, they want a chance to play in the NFL, they want to be seen on TV and they want a cool environment.......I think we are starting to provide that. Networks want winning programs playing against each other and a full stadium. I agree with dagger, we are getting there! RCJHGKU

Ben Kane 10 years, 9 months ago

if he beats texas and oklahoma and wins the north I think the heisman is his.

pmohr13 10 years, 9 months ago

I think the Heisman is already Tebow's. Espn is running his campaign.

William James 10 years, 9 months ago

I think MSNBC is running a campaign for The President to win the Heisman.

Joe Ross 10 years, 9 months ago

The reason you dont PR Todd Reesing is not because he's not worthy of it. It's because it destroys team fabric. Reesing may in fact be more valuable than the next guy, but on the field they work together. They have to build cohesion. Placing emphasis on one player threatens that team mentality. What does a player think when he sees his coach on a campaign for another guy? Imagine yourself in that position. If youre the guy being campaigned for, it shifts your focus and adds pressure that you wouldnt feel otherwise and maybe takes you out of your game a little bit. God be praised that Mangino is much smarter than that. A quarterback doesnt win a game. A team does.

esteshawk 10 years, 9 months ago

jross is right on target - it is solid teamwork and work ethic that MM has brought to the program, and his players are all about that. Think Meier and Quigley.

fabio- and FOX is running a campaign for Bush for Heisman. Or is his eligibility up?

KUFan90 10 years, 9 months ago

Eurekahwk - I agree with the spirit of your comments. What 17 year old superstar recruit wouldn't be impressed with the prospect of a 100 foot billboard of themselves in NY City? Posters? Inflatable jerseys? If you all don't think these things are more focused on marketing to future recruits than trying to win a Heisman then you are fooling yourselves. Saying KU has nothing to sell 5 star recruits is a little harsh, but you have to agree that some of this flash might be attractive.

And I agree pmohr13 - might as well give Tebow the Heisman right now.

Daniel Rojas 10 years, 9 months ago

I agree that ESPN is the major tool in campaigning these days. In '07 they talked about the Hawks every week after we beat k-state in manhatten.......If u win games, the individual awards come along with the success of the TEAM! (I've been hearing that song and dance since jr high.) Todd got some run, but not like Tebow etc.. In '07 tho, most of th talk was centered around "is this the week KU loses......or when we did win that next game, and then the next game and so on the talk shifted to our weak schedule? Last year we proved that point for them in a way, even tho we handled Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl, who went on to have like 9 or 10 guys drafted that year (2nd only to USC). We came out and lost t South Florida, played like crap and was lucky to get a win in Ames, and lost to a very beatable Nebraska team in Lincoln that would have gave us the North title after our missery victory. Hopefully this year the talk will be how Great Todd is and not about our strength of schedule!!!! To hell with just skippen August.......lets skip those first 4 days in September too!!!!

Annette Lee 10 years, 9 months ago

why don't they wait until all the games are played before voting?

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 9 months ago

Didn't Tom Keegan started the Todd Reesing for Heisman campaign in 2007 after Todd's first start as a KU player when we wallup'd Central Michigan and Todd had a flawless game? The school can do as much or as little as they want to market Todd as a candidate, but national TV exposure is what it all comes down to. You can send me Tebow's stats all you want, but until I watch him play enough to know beyond doubt that he's better than Reesing, my imaginary vote as an imaginary past Heisman winner goes to T-O Double D.

MtPHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I live hear in South Carolina and much has been made of the Spiller campaign. I heard the Clemson AD discussing this the other day. I don't believe even Clemson feels that Spiller has a realistic chance, but the campaign with the six foot cardboard poster of Spiller cost them a total of $1000. Donations to the campaign have paid for a majority of the cost and they are getting serious publicity for the football program. Will Spiller win with two returning trophy winners in the mix? Likely not. Will Clemson benefit with recruiting down the road? Yes.

mdfraz 10 years, 9 months ago

jross has it right. We are not the kind of team/program that elevates an individual above the team, and that's why we've had the success we have lately. I understand a high school superstar would love the idea of being on billboards and getting tons of attention, but then he's focused on HIMSELF and not the team. That's not the ship Mangino runs, and I agree with him wholeheartedly on that. If you focus on pleasing this recruit or that recruit and forget about the team, all the talent in the world won't win you championships. An example is Mack Brown; how much talent does Texas pull in every single year, and they have won one national title (yes I realize only one team can win the title and it's difficult to do, but does any coach out there do less with more talent)? And up until recently, they were being beat down by OU in their most important game of the year.

If players, by their exploits on the field, set themselves apart and are recognized for that, I'm all for it. It's good for the player, good for the team and the program, and fun for the fans. However, it's pathetic seeing schools whore their players out just to get attention. It's no surprise that Oregon was the first to do it. Football is a TEAM game, and focusing on one guy for an individual award is not how is SHOULD be done, nor is it how KU does it. Personally, I'm glad for that.

If a guy is good enough to get Heisman contention, it should be because of his stats and performance, not how much as* kissing their athletic program does with voters. And stravinsky is right that it's more a popularity contest anymore rather than determining who truly is the "best" player in the country. Hyping a guy with a PR campaign just cheapens the award even more.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 9 months ago

"What 17 year old superstar recruit wouldn't be impressed with the prospect of a 100 foot billboard of themselves in NY City?"

One that's focused on "we" rather than "me".

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I had a KILLER IDEA for a Heisman campaign for Reesing ...

no one seemed interested though.

All I will say is that it involved a tape measure!

fabio and txrockchalk know what it was ...

Joe Ross 10 years, 9 months ago

mdfraz...

You said it better than I did. And I agree with your point: if a team is strong, individual accolades will come. But what makes that come about is performance on the field, not marketing. If Todd Reesing came with a bunch of hype and hot air but didnt back it up on the field, he'd fade into obscurity. It's not about the hype!

Football is a team sport. Everyone in that huddle is equally important to the team.

kvskubball 10 years, 9 months ago

The lead-in to the article says:

"So here’s the thing about Kansas University quarterback Todd Reesing: The Jayhawks never really have had anyone like him."

I beg to differ. I know it is almost ancient history, but KU had a very talented QB in the 1960's by the name of John Hadl. Reesing is very good, but Hadl went on to have an outstanding NFL career. So, I don't agree with the lead-in comment. I think Hadl was every bit as good as, maybe better than Todd.

Joe Ross 10 years, 9 months ago

ksvkubball...

I dont mean to split hairs here, but by saying "...the Jayhawks neer really have had anyone like (Reesing)", I'm pretty sure Arnett is NOT saying Reesing is the best that's ever played at Kansas...or even the best quarterback, for that matter. I think he's simply saying that nobody has been quite like him. He's distinct as an individual, and really doesn't fit the mold of anyone else.

Jonathan Briles 10 years, 9 months ago

There were a lot of things I thought about when reading the article and especially the comments. One I'm very happy that we will not be campaigning for Todd. He does not need it and I agree with the whole Team aspect of things. Another thing was that I really doubt that Tebow will win it again. There is such a thing as overselling something or someone. I think there are a LOT of people who are really tired of hearing his name and seeing his face. I think there will be a large number who will be so annoyed with him that they would just like to give their vote to anyone else. Also those voters who have won before would really not like to have anyone win the award twice. I think Tebow and Bradford are at a disadvantage to start.

Also its not really needed to market your guy everywhere. If you name is in the discussion everyone knows who you are. You don't need to put it in everyones face. No person is going to see something or receive something about a player late in the year and be like "oh wow I did not know about this guy, he now has my vote".

last thing I was thinking about was something really funny though. Some were talking about the presidents and them being campaigned and I thought of how most politicians campaign. They do a lot about themselves but they also say a lot of bad about the competition. How funny would it be to see someone have a campaign that had a low light reel of all the competition. Some clips of fumbles, interceptions, if your player is trash maybe picking his nose ha ha. I dont know the thought just came into my head thought I would let you think and maybe have a laugh about it.

kvskubball 10 years, 9 months ago

jross...

Thanks for showing a reasonable alternate meaning to the lead-in! The way I interpreted seemed to be an unintended swipe at previous KU players, or at least portraying a fast-food or what-have-you-done-for-me-lately mentality, without respecting those that came before.

This kind of reminded me of someone comparing Cole Aldrich to the Big Dipper. While Cole is very good, he's not, at least yet, in the same area code, or anywhere close to being as good as Wilt. Often comments seem to be made without respect for previous stars. Or maybe, in trying to have a catchy lead-in, the author allowed room for my 'mis'interpretation of his intent?!

Ted Toulouse 10 years, 9 months ago

kvskubball & jross, I think the opening statement could be read both ways. Reesing should easily be considered as the best player ever to play at KU. The two major factors would be the team's success during his tenure and his stats. He's already broken nearly every passing related record we have. And if he brings the North title home and possibly another BCS game, name me a player who will have accomplished more at KU?

It's easy to say that players like Riggins, Sayers, Stubblefield, Hadl and others were the best because they went on to successful pro careers and have great name recognition. While Todd may not every play football professionally, he has already accomplished enough to be in the discussion as the greatest player ever at KU.

Larry Smith 10 years, 9 months ago

Eureka,

I guess Oklahoma must be stupid right.

"Mossman points out that since he arrived at OU in 2001, the Sooners have had two Heisman winners and five finalists without ever carrying out a true player campaign."

Yet they somehow are able to land big time recruits. Is it the big posters, or huge billborads?

I would dare to say that it is plain old winning football. When you walk into the living room of a recruit, I think the coaches probably focus more on what kind of team you can be a part of, rather that what kind of poster they can make for you.

10 years, 9 months ago

I concur with jhawk23.

Nice tease, sevenyearhawk! Perhaps you could provide a few more hints...

5DecadeHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Isn't it amazing how Doogie forgot all about that disaster of a website?

That website should be featured on failblog.org

jayhawkintx73 10 years, 9 months ago

With the type of recruits that we are getting, much of it is because Kansas won back to back bowls for the first time in its history. The last two years, these guys have played a whole lot of games in front of TV audiences, including National TV and that gets attention from college football fans across the country, and the recruits. This Offensive Lineman that KU just got an oral commitment from is a 4-star lineman. KU got Opurum(sp?) who was high on Ohio State's list. As Mangino says, it is important to get the right kinds of guys for his system, because even the teams with the best athletes have to work hard to win. Michigan has had better recruiting classes than Kansas, but we'd probably beat Michigan because our 3-stars develop into 4 stars and sometimes like Talib did, a 5-star by the time he graduated. KU will likely have all 12 games on TV this year, and will play Oklahoma and Texas in front of national audiences. If KU wins games like that, Heisman trophies will come to players at Kansas. That is how Heisman trophies are won. In front of national audiences on the field.

Brian Skelly 10 years, 9 months ago

If the Hawks roll out to a 6-0 record heading into the OU game I can assure you they'll be talk about Reesing for Heisman.

Because of his stature, its Tebow's Heisman to lose. And odds are even if Florida doesnt win the whole thing, the american press' love in of Tebow (which isnt entirely unjustified, but over the top in my view) gives him the best chance. And it should.

For the schools sake though, not unlike with Chase Daniel two years ago, it'd be nice for the whole program if he's in the mix of it with the media's talking points.

The best chance he has of getting this sorta thing rolling though is winning the North and playing in BCS game. Anything short of that and he has no chance. And he probably doesnt have a chance even if we do that.

Him being good enough to even be INVITED would be huge though.

Rivethead 10 years, 9 months ago

jayhawkintx73:

Just to clear some things up -

1. Zach Bolton, the OL from Houston we just signed is a 3-star kid
  2. We would kick the sh*t out of UofM right now - there is no "probably"
  3. Talib was a 2 star kid. But Talib never graduated. He left school early for the NFL
  4. All 12 of KU's games (14 - if you ask me) WILL be on TV. Already announced.

John Boyle 10 years, 9 months ago

whitechocolate 10 years, 9 months ago

Remember before '08, many people were thinking Colt McCoy was a bust. One season later and many think he's better than Vince Young. How good would Reesing be if he'd be given a chance behind the lines at any of the Texas schools?

The fact that we had a mediocre offensive line in '08 and Reesing still put up better numbers than '07 show that the kid has serious talent. He may not be the best pure athlete at KU, but there's no question I think he deserves Heisman attention based on his accomplishments so far.

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 9 months ago

JayhawkJohn- "not even close."

Come on man Reesing's numbers stand alone, what do you think he is just a system quarterback? If that were the case then he would not be a creator like he is. You must think that John Elway, Joe Montana, and Warren Moon only threw up big numbers because of the system they ran in the NFL. By the way, they all ran a different type of offense. I guess they were system quarterbacks as well. Oh yea, I almost forgot, Reesing is the only quarterback in the history of KU football to have an Orange Bowl Victory and two consecutive bowl victories. "If you cant figure out how to use the life preserver, I am going to have Tommy come back there and hit you in the head with a tack hammer because you are a r#tard."

KURiggins 10 years, 9 months ago

The Heisman Trophy what a God D joke! Reesing will never win the Heisman, not because he is not deserving but KU never, I repeat will NEVER get Heisman love. Its a God D joke. Tell me another player in the country that has meant more to his team. But to win the Heisman, you either have to play in the SEC(Any Team in the SEC gets it even if they are not deserving) Florida State, USC etc. If you even want a chance to win it in the Big 12 your jersey better say Texas, Nebraska or Oklahoma..or else forget it !! Also for the folks who are posting, saying Reesing is the not the best QB in KU history..he has the stats to back it up..what have you got? He is Todd "The Legend" Reesing. He not only has the stats, he has the unbelievable plays..the highlights..and how about that last second win over Missouri last year. Does anyone really want to argue Todd Reesing has had near the talent surrounding him that say Tim Tebow has had, Sam Bradford Colt McCoy..where All-Americans set on the bench. Really? Really? We have t-shirts that say Thank God for Todd for a reason. He has meant too much to KU to be ignored. He deserves to someday be on the wall of fame..his jersey should be retired..and be remembered as not just the GREATEST KU QB ever(see the film, see the stats, see the highlights, see KU's first ever back-to-back bowl victories, Bobby D. John H none of them ever did it) but as one of the greatest Big 12 QB ever..righ there with Vince Young, Sam B etc. He may not have a NC, but lets be honest, KU is just now starting to get the kind of talent that could win a NC. Now, I agree no one player leaving should stop a program in its tracks. And Mangino deserves all the credit in the world. And the future looks very bright indeed, with the likes of K.Pick, Jordan Webb etc. But to downplay Reesing's value to this program is shameful. He is the "The Legend" end of story. Despite all of this, despite KU's noticeable lack of OL talent most of his career..and his 65 TD passes, over 60% completions(not all coaching, sorry coaching did not make that play with 33 seconds fourth down against misery) he will not even get a sniff from the NFL. If he were 6'3 with the same arm strength, same stats ..they would be drooling. Size isn't everything..ask Vince Young, or Ryan Leaf(he is changing tires in Yuma, Az)

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

chrishauser20,

It's a SEATBELT. If you don't know how to use a SEATBELT ring your call button and Tommy will come back there and hit you on the head with a tack hammer because you are.... well you know the rest.

Seatbelt.

Carry on.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

JayhawkJohn,

"...his numbers have more to do with how the team plays and less on his individual talent."

Yeah, you're totally right. Definitely not the individual talent. I mean, watch this play....

Clearly the kid has no "individual talent" at all..............................

Jonathan Briles 10 years, 9 months ago

Yes LAJayhawk. I love how Stuckey plays. I know he is even more unlikely to win the award but I would love to see him do it. He is determined on every play in every game and always makes big plays. With him he makes everyone play better and will make this a good defense without and our D takes a HUGE hit. Great player who I have immense respect for.

gardenjay 10 years, 9 months ago

Stuckey owns one of my favorite moments from last season, from LAJayhawk's last youtube post above. Thank you for revisiting that moment, LAJayhawk. Stuckey never gave up - to me, personally, I cannot imagine a greater moment in college football last season. Thank you Darrell, if you do nothing else I hope I will ALWAYS remember your perseverence on that play. Be a survivor - you're a great inspiration.

kvskubball 10 years, 9 months ago

People,

Reesing is very good, but just because someone else thinks he's not the best, hey, they are entitled to their opinion, just like you and I are!

For my money, John Hadl was the best ever QB at KU, maybe best ever football player, period. If you're too young to know anything about him, then go look up his Wiki! Talk about talent, All-American as a running back, then as a QB, and he played defense too. This at a time when KU was getting almost no-one with NU and OU killing the little-six. Mangino has been getting pretty good talent, not OU, UofF, or USC talent, but much more talent than surrounded Mr. Hadl.

There have been some other pretty good players at KU, not many, true, but Mr. Sayers and Riggins are just two luminaries that I can think of. Todd Reesing will join these guys as one of the best to ever play at KU. He may end up with more wins, for example. Part of that will be because of the talent around him, as well as the fact that he is extremely talented and is great in the clutch. I would take either one to be my QB, unless of course you give me Johnny U. in his prime, or Sammy Baugh, or Joe Montana, ummm I might take one of those guys over either Todd or John!

Maybe Coach M will get an even better QB to come in in the future. I say let's appreciate Todd and be glad that he is our QB, but it doesn't slight him to say that someone was better than him. It's just possible that someone was...

Cole Aldrich is a super center for our BBall team, but regardless of what some young-uns might think, he isn't anywhere near the talent that Wilt was (He is nowhere near the scorer or rebounder that the Big Dipper was, although his timing on his shot-blocking is outstanding and he may in that category compare to Wilt), but he's still really dog-gone good! It's great that we have someone good enough that we bring him up in the company of such a great player!

Enjoy It! Rock the Chalk!

Joe Ross 10 years, 9 months ago

Heres a sensible position: why not just be satisfied that Reesing is in the discussion (of the greatest to play at KU)?

Heismann worthy? How knows? Greatest at KU? Who cares? A thousand different things make comparisons between players across many years apples and oranges anyway. Can we all agree that Reesing is "one of the greatest" to play at KU?

Next subject. Moving on...

actorman 10 years, 9 months ago

"Isn't it amazing how Doogie forgot all about that disaster of a website? That website should be featured on failblog.org"

"Last season, the Missouri media-relations department sent out 2,500 View-Masters, which featured images of senior quarterback Chase Daniel. The result? Daniel went from being a Heisman finalist and Big 12 offensive player of the year as a junior to not even in the discussion by the second half of his senior season, as Missouri stumbled to a 10-4 record and out of the running for a national championship."

5Decade may be technically right that the website wasn't mentioned, but Doogie still gave plenty of pub to his alma mater's failure. Of course 5Decade would never let facts get in the way of a chance to rip an LJW reporter.

"Ressing the best ever at KU? Not even close. He is a very talented and fun QB to watch play and has had great success but his numbers have more to do with how the team plays and less on his individual talent. By the way David Jaynes was once considered a Heisman candidate back in his senior year at KU wasn't he? Unfortunately, he was a flop in the NFL."

Aside from JayhawkJohn's brilliant spelling of "Ressing," he ignores one MINOR detail about David Jaynes - he hurt his arm before his first pro season and was never the same. It would have been nice to see what he could have done in the NFL without the injury. And I believe he was the highest-ever Heisman finisher at KU (I think he finished 7th in the voting).

"JayhawkJohn, are you nuts? If anything, playing for KU should prove that Reesing is a better quarterback than many of the highly recruited 5 star boys who go play for the power teams. The Jayhawks play well because of Reesing's playmaking and his leadership, which many teammates have stated in interviews."

On the other hand, whitechocolate doesn't seem to be playing with a full deck. JayhawkJohn talks about whether or not Reesing is the best who's ever played at KU, and whitechocolate goes into a rant comparing Reesing to 5-star recruits on power teams. I believe the term "WTF?????" comes to mind.

"... KU's first ever back-to-back bowl victories, Bobby D. John H none of them ever did it"

This is in no way to disparage the incredible accomplishments of Reesing, but let's not get ridiculous. The ONLY reason that JH never led KU to back-to-back bowl victories is because there were FAR FEWER bowl games in those days;. If he could have taken KU to the "Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl" or some such nonsense, I'm quite confident that JH could have done the same thing. And others in KU history probably could have done it as well, if there had been the ridiculous number of bowl games that there are today.

I think jross summed it up best: we can all agree that Reesing is one of the all-time KU greats. Let's just enjoy that and savor every minute of his last season at KU.

whitechocolate 10 years, 9 months ago

While I might not be the most level headed person around town, I'd prefer that you chalk that up to me being a drunk rather than being crazy.

All I'm saying is the kid is talented and if he was manning the wheel behind a power school, he'd be getting a lot more recognition. The fact he's doing it here is something special.

FYI: Jaynes finished fourth in Heisman voting back in 1973. Hadl finished seventh in 1961.

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 9 months ago

LAJayhawk- yea, I realized it was seatbelt after I posted it, figured people would get the point anyway, either way they are both easy to use. Good catch, I was hoping their was at least one Chris Farley fan on here that would correct me that way at least someone got it.

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 9 months ago

kvskubball-"but just because someone else thinks he's not the best, hey, they are entitled to their opinion, just like you and I are!"

I agree with you but when one makes comments like not even close to the best? How can that even be justified as an educated opinion? Still an opinion though, you are right. I guess some people think Reesing needs another year to prove himself.

You are right Hadl (two time All-American) was amazing and had a great pro career. Reesing's numbers are amazing though.

actorman 10 years, 9 months ago

Fair enough, whitechocolate, now I get your point. And thanks for the correction on the Heisman voting.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

chrishauser20,

"I was hoping their was at least one Chris Farley fan on here that would correct me that way at least someone got it."

Yep, not only am I a Chris Farley fan but I'm also Mr. Annoying Correction Guy. Aren't you lucky! :-)

whitechocolate & actorman,

Curious, do we know how Reesing finished in the voting in 2007? I know he received a letter from the committee saying he was being considered for the award (which he says he framed and gave to his parents), but I wasn't sure if he was actually in the voting tally. Just wondering if either or you (or anyone else for that matter) may know.

Rock Chalk.

whitechocolate 10 years, 9 months ago

The Heisman site only lists the top ten vote getters and Reesing is not one of them. The article back from 2007 said that somewhere between 20 and 30 players received the consideration letter.

yates33333 10 years, 9 months ago

Forget the Heisman. Tbow or whatever his name is at Florida is hands down certain to win again. I think Reesing may be the best QB ever at KU, excuse me John Hadl, but Tbow has everything. One of a kind as a college QB. His touch on the soft pass is almost as good as Reesing's and he is a QB with a fullback's strength. This guy is a nightmare for opponents.

bjbabyjay 10 years, 9 months ago

Good article except for the fact that Todd has no chance at the Heisman. Complete waste of time.