Originally published August 3, 2009 at 01:32p.m., updated August 3, 2009 at 10:32p.m.

Prep receiver Terry picks KU

Following a confusing past few days, Blue Springs (Mo.) High receiver Keeston Terry told Rivals.com Monday that he has committed to play for the Kansas University football team.

“A couple of weeks ago I de-committed from Nebraska,” Terry told the Web site. “After that, I thought about it and decided I wanted to commit to Kansas. I felt comfortable there and knew a lot about them since my parents went there.”

Terry, whose father, Doug Terry, is a former KU and Kansas City Chiefs defensive back, originally committed to play at Nebraska before recently re-opening his recruitment. Monday, despite comments from his high school coach indicating the receiver’s recruitment remained open, Terry announced his intentions to play at KU.

As a junior last season, the 6-foot-2, 179-pound Terry caught 50 passes for 900 yards and 10 touchdowns and played multiple positions for Blue Springs, which finished the 2008 season at 9-2.

According to Rivals.com, Terry also received offers from Big 12 schools Missouri and Kansas State, as well as Stanford, Wisconsin and Illinois.

The past week has proven fruitful for Kansas football recruiting.

In addition to Terry, offensive lineman Zach Bolton (Houston), kicker Justin Castor (Arvada, Colo.) and defensive end Jimmay Mundine (Denison, Texas) each has given the Jayhawks nonbinding oral commitments, according to Rivals.

Perhaps the most prominent addition came in the form of Bolton, the 18th-ranked offensive guard in the Class of 2010 who attends the alma mater of current KU receiver Johnathan Wilson.

“(Wilson) has always talked highly of the program and how well they take care of you,” Bolton told Rivals. “His mother, Marcie Thompson, is my mentor. I trust them, and they have had nothing but good things to say.”

Comments

Michael Leiker 10 years, 5 months ago

I think Doogie just loves breaking the news that Mizzou is still in the running.

Christopher Hauser 10 years, 5 months ago

"The Kansas football program is continuing the torrid pace of their summer recruiting and this time have landed one of the top offensive guards in the country. They have gone back to a familiar high school that produced one of their starting wide receivers. We just caught up with Zach Bolton who is the latest commitment for the Jayhawks as he broke the news on why he chose Kansas."- Rivals.com

<p>Jayhawkslant.com has Terry with a verbal to Kansas still.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 5 months ago

<p>"Jayhawkslant.com has Terry with a verbal to Kansas still."

i'm sure that will change. the good news is that we're still there in the running. and with Mr. Donohoe at the helm, that will help.

Mr. Bolton sounds like a fine football player. Welcome Zach!

slantrox 10 years, 5 months ago

Seen it before. Just as HCMM doesn't like to live life too close to the top of the polls or prognostications, he also likes a player that is a lock, but looks as if he isn't. Here are a couple of reasons why,

1. You make your rivals for the kid waste presious more time and energy than you now have to.

2. HCMM can still play underdog in the recruiting services polling.

3. Say KU is still going after some kid that would bail if he found out as good if not better kid were coming in at his same position? If there is uncertainty or unknowing, then they have a better chance of landing both kids.

BTW, Rivals still has him listed for KU also.

TrueBlue92 10 years, 5 months ago

Posted this before and I'll say it again: If Keeston Terry is at all like his father, this is a guy we want badly. Doug Terry was a top-notch player and a personal favorite. I had the privilage of watching him play in person for a several years. I even met the guy once and he was very personable to a goofy college frosh.

Between this possibility and the younger Sands on campus, I'm looking forward to reliving my years at Memorial Stadium during the 2011-13 seasons.

William James 10 years, 5 months ago

Saying your recruiting is wide open isnt going to make it a dead issue for the kid. If he really wanted it all to go away, he would make a decision before he started his season. I'm not criticizing the kid or anything, he obviously is free to handle it how he wants, but what the coach just said didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 5 months ago

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 5 months ago

I, too, got to know dad a little bit while at KU, and he was a really cool guy! Usually, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. We tend to hear that when kids do bad things, but in this case it would most definitely be a good thing.

Tad Shurtz 10 years, 5 months ago

Excellent work, J-Dub. Terry to KU rumors have been running rampant since Friday, the Lincoln Journal Star has quotes from Terry himself saying, Hey, I'm switching to KU, yet you decide to run with Dugan's article the following MONDAY with a couple "ironclad" quotes from his high school coach. Bang-up reporting.

By the way, Rivals has a commitment story up now if you need quotes for tomorrow's correction article.

MitchumMan 10 years, 5 months ago

No joke! Way to look stupid LJW. Did you do your homework on this story or are you just trying to make some drama?

Tad Shurtz 10 years, 5 months ago

Or maybe you should fire your headline guy. Is that you, Keegan? You could have at least titled it something like "HS Coach says prep receiver still undecided" or "Dugan Arnett attempts to stir the pot with a lazy counter story to the Terry commitment rumors." Once again, awesome job all around.

Tribehawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, I wouldn't be too hard on Dugan unless he's the one who also titled the article. I don't have a problem with the facts presented in the article--it's the idiotic and false conclusion reached in the title of the article that is problematic.

Tad Shurtz 10 years, 5 months ago

I mean, I guess. Still, it's just a stupid article to run all around, especially when they've been mum since the Terry rumors started Friday. Why nothing then? Publishing this story today just seems ... contrarian Especially when the source isn't as reliable as, you know, KEESTON TERRY. It's just lazy. But congrats on the web hits, I guess.

Tribehawk 10 years, 5 months ago

More web hits = more advertising = more of that EVONY chick. Personally, I'm okay sacrificing a little journalistic integrity for more cleavage.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 5 months ago

12 verbals. Wow. Mangino and company are working over time this offseason.

truefan 10 years, 5 months ago

Glad to hear some decisive truth and get a great Kansas kid coming home to play where he belongs. Welcome to the family kid, can't wait to see you play in a KU jersey.

sdoyel 10 years, 5 months ago

KU football > Mizzou Football KU football > Kansas State Football

suttonku 10 years, 5 months ago

I told you all before they updated this that he would be a Jayhawk...and who ws doubting my sources earlier? thats what I thought.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 5 months ago

The deleted comments earlier are a Lincoln JC (?) article by Christopherson (?) linked from the ESPN Big 12 blog. It quotes Keeston last Friday, when DA's original article quoted his coach.

It is nice that this updated article adds more info on recent recruits. We still have work to do to catch up with the S teams, but definitely steps in the right direction.

Now if we can add Justin McCay as well, it would be nice on the local recruiting front.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 5 months ago

that was a fast update. Rivals must have had it from the kid himself...and the parents. so they didn't waiver immediately after Coach Donohoe's comments.

welcome Keeston! not that it matters a whole lot to you, but my co worker has a son playing for Blue Springs, so we'll probably be watching the Lee's Summit West game on Aug. 28....can't wait to see you in action and as a Jayhawk.

(it's also very cool you de committed from Nebraska and came to KU....take that 'Husker nation!) tee he..

Rivethead 10 years, 5 months ago

Maybe it's just me, but former KU QB Kelly Donaslow has a bit of egg on his face from this whole deal.

And as far as recruits go, I'm more excited about Zach Bolton than I am Keeston Terry. Football games are won in the trenches. And KU just got a verbal from a top 20 guard!

troutsee 10 years, 5 months ago

Getting Terry is huge. Getting Bolton is huge. Welcome guys. You have just committed to the most up and coming program in the B-12. By the time you are seniors, KU is going to be a consistently top 10 team.

SpockHawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Mr SuttonKU says:

"I told you all before they updated this that he would be a Jayhawk...and who ws doubting my sources earlier? thats what I thought"

Mr SuttonKU, your self absorption is merely a form of mental masturbation, an irreparable human tendency characterizing your being.

AllenTXJhawk 10 years, 5 months ago

I don't think Donohoe has egg on his face and Rivals didn't get scooped by Scout either. Keeston decommitted two weeks ago but didn't want his phone ringing off the hook and wanted to keep a low profile. He didn't want the Missouri fan hate or the Nebraska fan hate. Donohoe was spinning the story to keep pressure off Terry. LJW was running the public version of the story which is OK. LJW updated the story when new info could be verified via Rivals quotes. LJW looks late compared to Rivals but they're not a recruiting specific website and are trying to maintain some journalistic integrity by following the rules and publishing verified info with quotes. Nothing wrong with that.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 5 months ago

per Rivals, Drew Temple is now coming to KU. it's all just coming into place.

dubya 10 years, 5 months ago

First, we steal one from the 'Skers and now one from Mizzou. Gotta love it!

OCJHAWK 10 years, 5 months ago

Will Temple have to sit this year and have three years of eligibility as he redshirted last year at mu?

dubya 10 years, 5 months ago

Here is ESPN's 40 team, ultimate conference. Big 12 is well represented. Conference breakdown goes something like this: Big12- 8 teams Pac10- 6 ACC- 6 SEC- 9 Big10- 6 Big East- 1 Mount. West- 2 WAC- 1 Independent- 1

John Baker 10 years, 5 months ago

Pound for pound, Doug Terry could lay the hat on people with no fear. Glad to hear that we are finally getting a player from Blue Springs. Thanks Kelly!