Wednesday, April 29, 2009

KU coach Self receives award in home state

Kansas men's basketball head coach Bill Self

Kansas men's basketball head coach Bill Self

— Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self, who starred at Edmond High School, went on to play lead guard at Oklahoma State University and also served as head coach at state schools Oral Roberts and Tulsa, returned to his home state Tuesday to receive the Abe Lemons/Paul Hansen Award for Sports Excellence.

Self was honored not only for his work in the Sooner State, but for leading Kansas University to the 2008 NCAA title and an overachieving 2008-09 KU team to a Big 12 title and berth in the Sweet 16.

“It’s an award that obviously I’m not deserving of having, but anything that has coach Lemons’ and coach Hansen’s name on it, I think is a pretty cool deal,” Self said. “I had a chance to know both men and played for coach Hansen all four years at Oklahoma State, so this is really a treat for me.”

Self remembered Hansen (107-89 at OSU from 1979-86) as having class and dignity, and he said his former mentor taught him that “you can be a good guy and still be very competitive.” Lemons was a legendary coach at Oklahoma City University.

Self on Tuesday was asked about high expectations for next season. KU likely will be favored to win the national title following the signing of 6-foot-6 Putnam City (Okla.) High sensation Xavier Henry.

“If that’s true, then let’s don’t even play. Let’s just go ahead and do it,” Self said. “I don’t think that’s the case at all. We should be pretty good based on who we return, and we got a break with our two best players (Cole Aldrich, Sherron Collins) not declaring and returning to school.

“I think we do have a chance to be one of the elite teams, but there’s no games played in April or May. We’ve got a long way to go and a lot of work to do to put ourselves in a position to hopefully be one of the elite teams.

“If you would ask would we rather be the ones that’s the hunter or the ones that’s the hunted, we’d say every time, ‘Hey, let’s be the hunted,’’’ Self added.

Comments

Lone_salina_kufan 11 years, 6 months ago

"You can be a good guy and still be competitive." Classic. Couldn't have said it better myself. That is what makes Bill Self great.

mlubyRN 11 years, 6 months ago

Congradulations Coach Self! Come on November hurry up!!

d_prowess 11 years, 6 months ago

Nitpicking here, but there are some pretty important games played in April!

jaybate 11 years, 6 months ago

cklarock,

Yeeeeehawwww, someone noticed!

Matt Bowers 11 years, 6 months ago

This article has produced two firsts.

1. HCBS getting a coaching award from another state!!!

2. Jaybates shortest post...ever.

Way to go you two, keep up the good work.

Rock Chalk

6hawks 11 years, 6 months ago

Congrads Bill! Are you ready to RUMBLLLEEEEE........

100 11 years, 6 months ago

A quote that was left out:

"As humbled as I am to receive this award, I want to personally thank Jaybate for inspiring me to coach, what appears to him to be, "EddieBall" at it's highest level. For this award I am truly thankful to fans like Jaybate who keep me aspiring to be my best. However... In my upcoming book, due out in seven years after the we win 7 more national championships, I will divulge the true secret of my success over the years -- a little run in with Larry Brown at an undisclosed University. Perhaps you've heard me speak of yhe importance of this event already? Well... After meeting and learning his trade, I realized that everything I learned as a youngster at OSU, though important (yet somehow dry & stagnant and quite frankly ugly to watch) could be morphed into a more pleasing scheme, worthy of a champion, that is much more my own, based mostly on what I learned in 86 and watched in the stands in 88 a mixture of "control" and speed & power (although as we know Master Larry did lose control of his own players during that first half but only for the greater good, which further made me realize the importance of the lack of heart in so called Eddieball that Jaybate has referenced from my youth) -- alas in my book, again which is due out in seven years, you will all learn I now consider this morphing of Eddieball, Larryball & my own plain experience as a coach of all differennt levels & cities, who now spends hours a day on Naismith Drive & with the ghost of Phog Allen always surrounding me -- please Jaybate, it's "Billball."

Postspeech interview: "with all due respect to Jaybate, Eddie did nothing that Phog hadn't already done over the last fifty years as a coach and, and hadnt also already done fifty years earlier as a player for the inventor of the game at KU, as perhaps the best pure winner, and by far the best shooter & on court coach, who has ever put on a Jayhawk jersey."

Note: this entire post is for entertainment value only. Quotes are, quite obviously, not real.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 6 months ago

Gosh Almighty..you know it's a slow news day when Jaybate is the most interesting thing to talk about. [ No offense, my friend...you are the most interesting thing today...I'm just sayin'....]

John Wall...where?????

Lance Stephenson...where????

CJ.......OK to play for sure??????

Releford/Reed....redshirting?????

Coach Dooley......who'se taking his place?????

Perry Ellis...may turn out better than anyone we have now??????

lee3022 11 years, 6 months ago

This is another year with the most compelling storyline likely to be injuries or lack thereof.

With this much depth that will be a lower factor than in past contender years. Yet we will worry more and stress over the little things because Coach Self has done away with the big things!

I am hoping for coverage of pick-up games this spring and summer - how compulsive is that?

jaybate 11 years, 6 months ago

100,

ROTFLMAO!

There is a little seen black and white movie called "Soldier in the Rain" that stars Jackie Gleason and Steve McQueen. Gleason is a scavenging, hustling sargeant and McQueen is his not too smart, but infinitely loyal disciple in hijinks. The movie ends with an exceptionally memorable line shot through with pathos, because of the circumstance in which it is delivered.

"Until that time, Eustice, until that time."