Monday, April 27, 2009

KU recruit Woolridge to kick off Invitational

Future Kansas University basketball player Royce Woolridge’s Arizona Magic will meet top-2010 prospect Harrison Barnes’ All-Iowa Attack squad in the first game of the 2009 Jayhawk Invitational, set for 7:10 p.m. Friday at Haskell’s Coffin Complex.

The game will kick off a full slate of AAU games that will culminate with Sunday’s 17 and under finals, set for a 3 p.m. start at Haskell.

Allen Fieldhouse and Horejsi Center are unavailable for use next weekend because of construction. Sites for games for 112 teams in age divisions 15, 16 and 17 will be Haskell, Ambler Center, Robinson Gym, Lawrence High, Free State High, South, Central and West junior highs.

Woolridge, a 6-foot-3 junior from Phoenix’s Sunnyslope High who committed to KU as a sophomore, also will play 8 a.m. and 12:40 p.m. Saturday at Lawrence High. Barnes, a 6-6 junior from Ames (Iowa) High, also will play at 10:20 a.m. and 12:40 p.m. Saturday at Ambler Center.

The Kansas City Pump N Run team that features Trevor Releford, the 5-10 brother of KU’s Travis Releford will play at 8:20 p.m. Friday at Haskell, and 11:30 a.m. and 1:50 p.m. Saturday at LHS.

This, that: John Wall, a 6-4 guard from Raleigh, N.C., visited Miami last weekend. He told Zagsblog.net he would cut his list (KU, Baylor, Duke, Kentucky, N.C. State, Florida, Miami, Memphis) to two or three Thursday or Friday. ... Lance Stephenson, a 6-6 forward from Brooklyn, N.Y., now may be considering Arizona, Zagsblog reports. He had narrowed his list to KU, St. John’s and Maryland.

Comments

Andy Hess 10 years, 9 months ago

i do wish we could get Lance, but in reality, there are only so many shot attempts that can be made and minutes played per game, and I would hate to see a player's stock and playing time slip due to this. that, and I really don't see how you can take anyone's scholarship away in good conscience. Brady earned his scholarship last year and even if his dad can pay his way (a rumor until confirmed) it would be a huge disservice to his contributions to the team.

TheTruth08 10 years, 9 months ago

I want the Jayhawks to land Harrison Barnes more than I wanted them to land Xavier and Lance.

Michael Auchard 10 years, 9 months ago

Barnes is the real deal, and I wouldn't be able to stand Duke getting him. I was looking at Woolridge's Rivals stats and it looks like they're starting to regard him a bit higher. I get the feeling he'll be top-40 by the end of next year.

I keep waiting for ESPN/Rivals/Scouts to update the best recruiting classes and move us up the lists. It probably won't happen until Wall and Stephenson sign, but I'm anxious to start bragging.

As far as the Brady rumor -- with multiple media outlets around the country murmuring about it off and on for months, I wonder how much of a rumor it actually is? Brady did outperform what I thought were his limits last year, no doubt about it.

Conversely, I would find it very interesting if a player who red shirted, basically to have more impact on a program and get more playing time, then gave a scholarship away to someone who would eat up some of his minutes. Doesn't really make sense; that player would have to be very selfless.

suttonku 10 years, 9 months ago

I like Woolridge's game...kid is a flat out stud...cant wait to see him play at KU...hes a combo guard that can flat out score the basketball and is pretty athletic...an above average 3 point shooter and is quick enough to get to the rack...And as far as Barnes goes...he is the real deal for sure...I heard that KU and Duke were going to be on his final list and I hear he wants to stay in the Midwest...a good sign for KU in that sense...I trust HCBS and I think we will be able to get him...I also heard that there is no way he will stay in Iowa...has zero interest in Iowa State at this point because he wants to play for a high profile school and well ISU is not what you would call high profile...

Machawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I sounds like Barnes is smart enough to see through that "Hilton Magic" B.S.

Lone_salina_kufan 10 years, 9 months ago

Harrison Barnes does look like a stud. Love Woolridge's game, plus he clearly wants to be a Jayhawk, which is awesome.

Harrison has to be Self's number one target for that recruiting class

Chris Teegarden 10 years, 9 months ago

I live in Iowa and have watched Barnes play in person and it's just unreal. I hope we get him.

kranny 10 years, 9 months ago

What is the Morningstar rumor? I've tried to find articles but don't see anything. What are the sources?

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

I could see HCBS going hard after Barnes and not worrying about Lance. Based on his comments last week, he is more focused on underclassmen recruiting.

Machawk - I went to Hilton once - near the end of the Johnny Orr era (why they worshipped that man I will never know.) On the outside, Hilton looked sort of cool, but on the inside it was hideous. It had terrible sight lines and enormous unpainted concrete walls - not sure where the magic was. Makes you really appreciate how special AFH really is.

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

kranny - A rumor was going around that Roger Morningstar offered to pay for Brady's expenses if HCBS needed a scholarship to lock a great recruit. I don't know if that was ever made "official" to the public. These rumors died down after Quintrell and Tyrone decided to transfer and freed up to scholarships. Roger does pretty well for himself and paying Brady's way would not be a burden for his family.

WisconsinJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Royce and Harrison are flat out players, they're the real deal, they can flat out play, flat out. They are gamers. They bring their A game and they come to ball. Flat out.

Chris Teegarden 10 years, 9 months ago

jayhawkerjoel

Hilton was the first place I ever saw a collage game at. When I was younger I thought it was pretty tipical of what all venues were like. Needless to say the first time I stepped into AFH I almost passed out.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 9 months ago

There is no way KU gets Lance. KU is at talent capacity right now. Lance would be overkill and then minutes would be an issue across the board. I would prefer to see Self concentrating on the 2010 recruits like Harrison Barnes and Ray McCallum.

Woolridge is the real deal. I expect to see this kid shoot up the charts this year now that he is starting to be on more people's radar. He can just flat out score and he has a deadly jumper. Plus, you can never underestimate the advantage of having a father who has been-there and done-that, like Orlando. I guarantee this kid's learning curve is a bit more advanced than most highschool juniors.

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

firket2000,

IMO, Hilton is probably the 3rd best venue in the Big 12. Gallagher-Iba being #2. I saw a few games at the old Ahern building at K-State. If the Kitty Cats were any good and they still played there, it would be my #3 Big 12 venue. The last game I saw there was 1987 KU - KSU when Turg saved KU in OT. That building was pretty cool (although a barn) it got loud and the place shook. That made it all the more sweet when it stopped shaking after the OT!

okjhok 10 years, 9 months ago

I agree, WiskyJayhawk, from what I hear, they are flat out players. Flat out and flat out...

Dirk Medema 10 years, 9 months ago

The Brady rumor goes back 2 (?) yrs if my memory serves me correctly, and I believe it was reported in a column - as official as that is.

Tha being said, not having a scholarship won't diminish Brady's skills and beneift to the team any more than CJ's. The fact that he/they is/are walk-on/s just means that someone else agreed/is able to pay for school. IMO, it just shows all the more a commitment to the team & university.

Rock Chalk