Monday, April 27, 2009

KU to play at UCLA in Big 12/Pac-10 Hardwood Series

Jayhawks will travel to Los Angeles on Dec. 6

The two premier men’s basketball programs in the Big 12 and Pac-10 conferences will square off in the 2009 Big 12/Pac-10 Hardwood Series.

Tradition-rich Kansas University and UCLA will meet on Sunday, Dec. 6, at Pauley Pavilion in Los Angeles. The Bruins will return the trip to Allen Fieldhouse the following season in the window of Dec. 2-5, 2010.

The majority of the games in next season’s challenge series are scheduled for Dec. 3-6.

UCLA actually might be in a rebuilding mode of sorts next season. The Bruins lose Darren Collison, Josh Shipp and Alfred Aboya and still may lose Jrue Holiday to the NBA. He has declared for the draft but not yet signed with an agent.

Some of the Bruins top players: Drew Gordon, J’mison Morgan, James Keefe, Nikola Dragovic, Tyler Honeycutt, Mike Moser, Michael Roll, Malcolm Lee and Jerime Anderson.

Last season, the two leagues split the Hardwood Series games, 6-6. In all games played between the two conferences during 2008-09, the Big 12 held a 10-7 edge. The Pac-10 holds a 13-11 advantage in the first two years of the Hardwood Series.

Here are all games in the 2009 Hardwood Series:

November: 29-Nebraska at USC.

December: 3-Washington at Texas Tech; USC at Texas; Baylor at Arizona State. 4-Colorado at Oregon State. 5-Oregon at Missouri; Iowa State at California; Washington State at Kansas State. 6-Kansas at UCLA; Arizona at Oklahoma. 16-Oklahoma State at Stanford. 22-Texas A&M; at Washington.

KU, Cal to meet?

Kansas University and the University of California are in discussions involving a home-and-home series that would begin next season in Allen Fieldhouse.

Cal returns four senior starters from an NCAA Tournament team that is expected to contend for the Pac-10 title. Jerome Randle and Patrick Christopher make up the top backcourt in the league. Other top players: Jamal Boykin, Jorge Gutierrez and Theo Robertson.

The Bears lose Jordan Wilkes, the brother of former KU and Cal player Omar Wilkes. Jordan, who had a year of eligibility remaining, has given up basketball. Brother Omar did the exact same thing, giving up hoops his final season at Cal.

Omar currently is an actor in L.A.

KU will play at Temple and Tennessee next season and also is slated to meet Memphis in St. Louis. The Jayhawks are looking to begin a pair of home-and-home series in Allen.

Self to be honored

KU coach Bill Self today will receive the Abe Lemons/Paul Hansen Award for Sports Excellence at the annual Oklahoma City University Sports Spectacular. The award will be presented at a 6 p.m. banquet at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in OKC.

The Lemons/Hansen Award recognizes an individual “who significantly contributes to the growth of sports in the state.”

Past award winners are Bart Conner, Ron Norick, Clay Bennett, Lee Allan Smith, Dr. William Grana, Stanley Draper Jr., Bob Funk, Barry Switzer, Mick Cornett and the late Bobby Murcer.

Woolridge ready

Future Kansas University basketball player Royce Woolridge is looking forward to this weekend’s trip to Lawrence for the Jayhawk Invitational.

Woolridge’s Arizona Magic team will meet KU recruit Harrison Barnes’ All Iowa Attack Red squad at 7:10 p.m. Friday at Haskell.

Woolridge, a 6-footo3 guard from Phoenix Sunnyslope High, averaged 28.5 points, 5.3 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 2.1 steals per game for state champion Sunnyslope.

“I'm excited to come down and play in front of the fans. I think its really going to be fun,” Woolridge told Rivals.com. “I was in Lawrence last year for the elite camp (of Self), but I've never been down for a basketball tournament.

“I heard that he is really good," he added of going against Barnes, Rivals.com’s No. 4-rated player nationally. “I will just play my game and act like nobody is there (watching). I will just play my game like it's any other game.”

Barnes, a 6-6 guard/forward, is considering KU, Duke, North Carolina, Iowa State and others.

Comments

IlikeKUabuttton 10 years, 9 months ago

Well I was really looking forward to a home game vs. UCLA this year. Oh well, they'll be better in 2010 anyways. Anyone know anything else about next year's non conference? I know we play Memphis in STL and we should play @ Tennessee?

kuhawk4life 10 years, 9 months ago

Does anyone know when they will come out with the full schedule of non-conference games? I wasn't sure if they were done scheduling them or not, but I'm really anxious to see what the schedule will be like next year.

d_prowess 10 years, 9 months ago

I would much rather play at UCLA this year when we will have Collins, Cole, X, and the rest of the guys, than the following year since it is safe to assume we will have lost those main 3!

Jason Roberts 10 years, 9 months ago

As a hardcore Jayhawk fan raised in K.C. and now living in the Los Angeles area, this is awesome news for me.

LAJayhawk - think you'll try and get a ticket, too?

crnblu 10 years, 9 months ago

this is only good news as we will be stacked next year. let's just line up tough opponents

Eurekahwk 10 years, 9 months ago

UCLA in LA at the wack Pauley, no problem for this group. UCLA score 70 against THESE guys? I don't think so.

KUball14 10 years, 9 months ago

Sherron Cole and X are gunna put up 70 alone on UCLA

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 9 months ago

IlikeKUabuttton: I read somewhere in an article (KUSports.com, I think) that Memphis was trying to get out of that St. Louis thing. I really feel bad for the guys that are left on that team. Royally screwed.

David Hall 10 years, 9 months ago

memphis was try to get out of that game in st louis

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

oldalum

That is correct..they see the handwriting on the wall[ pardon the pun]. Even as obnoxiuos as MemphisTiger and other tiger fans were this year on this site, can you imagine how screwed these fans must feel? Losing Cousins, Xavier, CJ, Wall, any shot at Stephenson, in a matter of days!!!

I'm guessing Calimari will be getting few Xmas cards from Memphis fans this year.....and what about World Wide Wes??????? Lexington is not that far away!!

chicagoeddie 10 years, 9 months ago

we should play MSU again! hey so is it possible that we are getting more recruits????

HaiL2ThAjHaWkX 10 years, 9 months ago

we DON'T play Michigan State. The game we played this past season was their home game from the home and home series that started with us going there in 2003

mikehawk 10 years, 9 months ago

We want to play as many tough games as possible next year. The tougher the better because this group needs to be hard pressed whenever possible. Humility will be a good thing with this next year bunch. That means either getting beat once in awhile or hopefully, getting pushed hard on a consistent basis. Coach needs to bar them from reading or watching anything about themselves. Our biggest threat next year is the big head. I have seen the enemy, and he is us. See blogs above.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

This is simply fantastic. Last game I got to see live was when KU came to the Galen Center in December 2007 and Chalmers hit a game winning shot against USC. And that season seemed to turn out pretty nice............

shockjay,

Absolutely. Nothing sounded better than hearing the Rock Chalk Chant echoing through the hallways of USC's building and the look that brought up on their fans' faces. Can't wait to see that expression on UCLA alums.........

jncarlsbad 10 years, 9 months ago

Shockjay, LAJayhawk

I live in SD and I do want to be there as well. Count me in!

actorman 10 years, 9 months ago

Me too. I'm in the Bay Area and would love to drive down for it. If anyone can pick up a ticket for me, let me know. It would be nice to actually meet some of you guys after all these years.

supersoccersteven 10 years, 9 months ago

kuhawk4life, the schedule won't be released until late summer. Check out this site for other stuff about KU: http://blogs.kansascity.com/tvbarn/2009/04/ksmo-grabs-the-ku-television-contract.html

Seth Peattie 10 years, 9 months ago

SUCK IT, BRUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 9 months ago

Not sure how we will be better in 2010 without Cole and Collins but I like our chances in both games. As for feeling sorry for Memphis... they were well aware they were hiring a snake. I might have sympathy for some of the players but not the University.

Scott Wood 10 years, 9 months ago

We do play @ Tennessee along with @Temple for sure. Also we are supposed to be part of a doubleheader in St. Louis playing Memphis with Louiville playing someone else in the other matchup. I heard they want out but not sure if that will happen. I also read we we are trying to schedule 2 more high majors to play this season @ home.

Timmay97 10 years, 9 months ago

Do any of you guys know where KU is playing Temple? I live in NJ (wish I lived in L.A.) and want to see the game. I thought I heard it was being played at the Wachovia Center, but then I read an article (which was probably on here) that said it was at Temple's arena. This is my one shot to see KU this year and it's going to be damn near impossible to get tickets in Temple's 9,000 seat arena.

rckchlkjhawk15 10 years, 9 months ago

also keep in mind in 2010 that Self has Woolridge coming and hopefully he can land Barnes and Knight.

Steve Brown 10 years, 9 months ago

December 6 UCLA road trip.........hope the web sites have extra tickets...this won't be cheap but worth it.

kvskubball 10 years, 9 months ago

Timmay97,

An earlier article said that we would play Temple at their on-campus basketball facility.

Jason Roberts 10 years, 9 months ago

I might get lucky as I have a couple of co-workers who are UCLA season ticket holders.

Anyone who is interested let me know so that we can start raising the $$$ to make the bribe complete.

Brett Forreal 10 years, 9 months ago

Hopefully we get Barnes. I guess he stated that he wants to stay close to home and there is no place closer than KU. He is not even considering ISU at this point. He wants to go to a powerhouse school he said.

Jason Roberts 10 years, 9 months ago

I have had the privilege of viewing a game at both Allen Field House (back in '82 before the shot clock was implemented) as well as Pauley Pavilion (2004). Believe me when I say there is no comparison between the two in terms of home court advantage and rowdy, yet traditional fans.

BEWARE OF THE PHOG!

Alex Wishart 10 years, 9 months ago

i got to see the game @ USC during the Championship season and i cant think of a better place to start another championship run but @ UCLA. anyone else think that J'Minson (booboo) Morgan will be wishing he made a different choice on where to play his ball? when do tix go on sale?

Jason Roberts 10 years, 9 months ago

alexwishawk - the best place to go for UCLA Tickets is TIcketmaster - https://teamexchange.ticketmaster.com/html/eventlist.htmI?l=EN&team=uclaathletics

Based on the website tickets will become available closer to the season. I'll keep my ears posted with my co-workers who are UCLA season ticket holders on when that will occur.

RCJH!!!

phogfanatic75 10 years, 9 months ago

I was at that USC/KU game and it was awesome hearing the ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK CHANT over power the fair weather SC fans. I will definitely be at this game!! I've always had good luck with getting tickets on ebay.

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

shockjay,

Another good source of tickets to Pauley is to hire on as a care giver to bed ridden professors emeriti at retirement homes around Westwood in early October, when UCLA mails their season tickets out?

It also works in Lawrence for AFH, though sometimes you will have to win a knife fight with other care givers seeking the same tickets. :-)

jaybate 10 years, 8 months ago

Regarding playing UCLA, with Howland and Self both coaching the hack'n'slap defense, there going to be some hellaciously red wrists after this contest.

waywardJay 10 years, 8 months ago

jay...did you watch Ucla this year.... they didn't play much defense at all ( of course they were mostly freshman ) Josh Shipp, Alfred Aboya and whats his name " lesser " Collison gone..... Please.... They would need to use a grease pit to stop our offense.... Or just bring back Lavin's Hair .....

iluvdbskxjayhawks 10 years, 8 months ago

I live near UCLA. I need one ticket for the game please! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 10 years, 8 months ago

i just might fly out to L.A. from Milwaukee for this one. We should organize some sort of Jayhawk party crash!

LAJayhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

I'm in for making it a big Jayhawk party. Someone work out the details.........

KULA 10 years, 8 months ago

We (KU alumni group) had a big party on campus for the USC game--about 400 Jayhawks. There were plenty of extra tix available (at face value) from KU people, and a watch party for those who couldn't get tix. I'm sure they'll put something like that together for the UCLA game too. You LA guys should hook up with the facebook and yahoo groups for LA Jayhawks if you're not already.