Friday, April 24, 2009

Final answer? KU

All-American guard Xavier Henry chooses Jayhawks

Xavier Henry, right, signed a letter-of-intent with Memphis, but wanted out after John Calipari left for Kentucky. Henry signed a grant-in-aid agreement with KU on Thursday. At left is his mother, Barbara.

Top recruit Henry chooses KU

Top-ranked basketball recruit Xavier Henry is bringing his game to Kansas University next year, and he's bringing his older brother C.J. along, too.

photo

Henny Ray Abrams/AP File Photo

In this April 1 photo, west player Xavier Henry, right, battles for a loose ball against East player Dexter Strickland in the McDonald’s All-American Game in Coral Gables, Fla.

— Xavier Henry fiddled with his cell phone, delaying the start of his much-anticipated news conference late Thursday morning in Putnam City High School’s gym.

“He’s trying to get C.J. on the phone,” Henry’s mom, Barbara, said of Xavier’s older brother, a freshman at the University of Memphis.

No way 18-year-old Xavier was going to announce his decision to play basketball at Kansas University without his beloved, 22-year-old sibling listening on the line.

“Me and my brother ... there’s no separating us. I’d do anything for him,” Xavier Henry said. “That’s why I’m going with him to college. I want to spend as much time with him as I can.”

To the delight of KU coach Bill Self and Jayhawk fans everywhere, the Henry brothers will be spending at least the next school year together ... at KU.

Xavier Henry — who signed with Memphis last Nov. 18 for the sole reason of playing basketball with his brother who enrolled at Memphis in September after a short-lived three-year pro baseball career — Thursday made official his decision to become a Jayhawk.

This time, C.J. — who elected to leave Memphis following Tiger coach John Calipari’s decision to take the Kentucky job on April 1 — will follow Xavier to KU.

The New York Yankees will pay non-scholarship guard C.J.’s tuition as part of a pro baseball contract C.J. signed in 2005.

“I always loved Kansas. I always watched them. It’s always been a dream school for me,” said Xavier, a 6-foot-6, 225-pound shooting guard, who has been hooked on KU for years.

His dad, Carl, mom, and aunt Vickie all played for KU.

“I just always dreamed of going to Kansas. I took a step back (because) my brother was at Memphis. I did it to keep the family together. Now that he can play anywhere with the coaching change, I got my chance at Kansas.”

The fact that the baby of the family is now happy had Henry family members smiling on Thursday.

“I’m excited. The whole family is excited,” said Barbara. “I know Xavier’s heart was with Kansas when he chose Memphis. It was his brother .. he wanted the opportunity to play with his brother once in his life,” Barbara added.

C.J., a 6-foot-3 point guard/shooting guard, noted: “We just wanted to play together. At Memphis, under coach ‘Cal,’ it wasn’t going to happen. I think Kansas is the place Xavier wanted to go in the first place. I guess he (gets to) the second time. It’ll be a great experience. It’ll be fun.”

Self’s in good spirits

KU coach Bill Self cracked a joke when asked if it was fitting Xavier now gets to attend KU — a place he wanted to commit to five months ago.

“It’s fitting for us,” Self said. “I think our university and alumni should be really excited. Circumstances were not right the first time. Now it’s come full circle and the family gets to be together ... it just happens to be here.”

Self — he played against Carl Henry in high school and worked at KU as a grad assistant when Barbara and Vickie played here — said he was thrilled to land Xavier because of the family ties.

He could not talk about C.J. on Thursday because he’s not enrolled in school in Lawrence yet. Xavier signed a grant-in-aid agreement, thus the reason Self could comment on him.

“I don’t know if I’ve ever had a chance to recruit somebody of that talent where both parents are alums. That makes it even more special for me personally,” said Self, who admits he was “crushed” when Xavier chose Memphis in November.

“I’ll be honest. We all were,” he said of his staff. “Not crushed in terms of being mad. At that time, a lot of things were going on. Xavier was in a car accident, which was serious enough where they wanted to keep the family together. We certainly understood that. As disappointed as we were before, we are probably more happy now.

“The Henrys are a great family.”

One-and-done?

One family member — C.J. — likely will be at KU longer than Xavier.

Xavier, who is ranked No. 3 nationally by ESPN and No. 8 by Rivals.com, is widely considered a “one and done” type player headed to the NBA after one season.

Xavier averaged 28.7 points and 6.9 rebounds this past season for state champ Putnam City. Carl has said NBA front office personnel told him his son was physically ready for the league as a high school junior.

“If it happens, it happens,” Xavier Henry said. “I just want to concentrate on winning a national championship. If I go one and done I go one and done. I just want to concentrate on next year, trying to win a championship — two in three years.”

Self — he acknowledged that Xavier Henry was the highest-recruited player “across the board” he’s ever pursued — also addressed the one-and-done issue.

“I don’t know. He certainly has the potential to be that,” Self said. “I wouldn’t stand in his way of being that. Based on my talks with him, his whole deal is ‘I want to go to college, be a college kid, go help the University of Kansas win a title.’ When the time is right, he’ll know it’s right. If we play well, those things take care of themselves. I know he’s unselfish and will be thinking along those (unselfish) lines.”

Self said Henry gives KU something it didn’t have a year ago — somebody who can guard an opponent’s tall wing player.

“He’s built like Brandon (Rush),” Self said. “He’s one of the few guys who has a chance of shooting it like Brandon. He’s a true big guard. He can put the ball down, get to the hole, and get fouled. He’s a versatile offensive player.”

C.J.’s strengths

Since Self couldn’t comment, here’s Putnam City High coach A.D. Burtschi’s take on C.J. Henry’s game:

“C.J. played a lot of point for us, particularly his senior year,” Burtschi said, noting C.J. was recruited by KU, North Carolina and others. He orally committed to KU in April of 2005 before inking the Yankee contract.

“He’s a guy who could be a pure 2 (off guard), but if you need him to be a 2, how are you going to get his brother out of the way?” Burtschi joked.

“He’s a great athlete. Here’s a guy that stepped out of his basketball jersey after the state final, plays his first baseball game the next day and hits two home runs. People worry about the fact he hasn’t played basketball in three years. With his competitive spirit ... I believe that will serve him until he gets the rust off. No doubt he loves competition.”

C.J. will remind you that he, like his brother, is a darn good basketball player.

“My game will end up speaking for itself. I think I’m going to play,” said C.J., who along with his mom believes he’ll be able to play during the 2009-10 season and not have to sit out a year in accordance with NCAA transfer rules.

“According to the NCAA rules, with C.J. being a non-recruited athlete, his scholarship was being financed through the Yankees which makes him qualified for a one-time transfer rule. He’ll be able to play,” Barbara said.

The battle for No. 13

First up at KU will be a sibling battle for jersey No. 13. Both Henrys wore 13 at Putnam City in honor of dad, who wore No. 13.

“Me and Xavier will probably have to play for it. He is probably going to want 13,” C.J. said. “We’ll have to play for it then.”

“If he wants to be 13 ... then I’ll be No. 1,” noted Xavier, who has proven he’ll pretty much do anything for his beloved older brother.

“I love my family. I’d do anything for my family,” Xavier said.

Comments

e93bigd 10 years, 9 months ago

We're fortunate to have both of them, not just X. Having his big brother nearby should only help him feel more relaxed and "at-home" than if he were alone. If C.J. can get minutes too, even better.

One and done is a rare accomplishment and non-existent in Self's system. I'd lay even money that we get at least two years out of X. If I'm wrong and he's that good, then I'll happily sit back and watch the wins pile up while working on my reservations for Indy!

Eurekahwk 10 years, 9 months ago

I don't see why CJ won't have the opportunity to end up with a starting spot along side his brother. People have forgotten that he too has the skills to be a pain for other teams. He has physical and mental maturity on his side too.

Trey Hohman 10 years, 9 months ago

I feel like a battered wife who knows she should've left her husband years ago because he's abusive, condescending and immature far too often. But in the end, I cannot imagine living without him due to the size of his big c-note. (Henry is my theoretical emotionally abusive, yet ruthlessly talented hubby.)...I hope my comments aren't in any way freaking anyone out.
GO JJJJJAYHAWKS!!!

Lance Hobson 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm a little freaked out here. But no worries, I'm focusing on basketball and how great we are going to be next year. Thanks Cal for letting CJ practice with you and knock his rust off for us!

Dee Shaw 10 years, 9 months ago

Let the speculation begin on our starting line up. Here we go. 1. Sherron Collins 2. Tyshawn Taylor 3. Xavier Henry 4. Cole Aldrich 5. Morris Twin (the one that started. they look to much alike)

Key Reserves: 1. Mario Little 2. Morris Twin(the one that did not start) 3. Thomas Robinson 4. Chris Withey 5. Travis Releford 6, Brady Morningstar 7. Tyrel Reed 8. C.J. Henry

Not bad. Should be fun. Just a thought. We do have one scholarship to give out. Do we hold on to it for the following year or is there a chance that Lance Stephenson could still come. If he is a one and done why not come and win a national title. Just a thought.

Dee Shaw 10 years, 9 months ago

Oops. A follow up. Forgot key reserve. In coming freshmen, Elijha Johnson. Sorry.

Trey Hohman 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm looking at next year's list of players for the first time fully, and I do believe our reserve squad could have a very good chance realistically, of making it to the Sweet Sixteen next year, if they ever decided to form their own separate team.

DCJayhawk0208 10 years, 9 months ago

By position:

1/2: Sherron Collins/Elijah Johnson/CJ Henry 2/1: Tyshawn Taylor/Brady Morningstar/Tyrel Reed 3: Xavier Henry/Mario Little/Travis Releford 4/5: Morris/Thomas Robinson/other Morris 5/4: Cole Aldrich/Jeff Withey/

And in reality, any of the three guard spots are interchangeable and any of our post posts are interchangeable. How does coach divide up 120 minutes between the nine guards battling it out for the 1 through 3 positions? How does coach divide up 80 minutes for the five bigs battling for the 4 and 5 position?

How far would our SECOND team go in the NCAA tournament?

kupopp 10 years, 9 months ago

It's great being a Jayhawk!

yates33333 10 years, 9 months ago

Self has a real job ahead of him. He has enough talent for two top ten teams. How do you satisfy all that talent with 200 minutes? If they play as a 10 man team they should be unstoppable. I suspect Stephenson will go to Maryland (probable) or St. John's (hopefully). The Johnnies have a KU man of sorts.

NH_JHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Late night in the Phog can't come soon enough! This could be a very special year for us and HCBS could very well cement his position as the best coach (given the amount of tenure he has at KU) in school history. Gotta catch my breath just thinking about the possibilities. WOW!

Michael Pannacciulli 10 years, 9 months ago

we all got what we wanted...fans, coaches, players, henry fam, etc. Now we can sit back as fans and watch and see it all come together.

Machawk 10 years, 9 months ago

It's a relief to realize that the Henry brothers ended up where they apparently wanted to be all along. As talented as X is, I am more intrigued by C.J. Henry and what he brings to KU in terms of maturity and continuity. He will likely play for three years at KU and will develop into a solid experienced player that will help us in many ways down the line. An occasional one and done player is OK, but the great KU teams were those dominated by seasoned players who grew into mentally tough players capable of making plays and good court decisions.

Speaking of good court decisions, I hope Tyshawn and the Morris twins make a quantum leap in that department between their freshmam and sophomore years. Otherwise we may see more of the new players getting a shot at playing time. In any event, the competition should make for a positive situation. I would expect that the good chemistry among the players will continue under Bill's leadership. Playing in an environment with so much basketball pride, fan support, and traditiion really is an intangible that most other programs don't have or understand. The passion and the dedication of the fans to the sport make the game a "we" not an "I" feeling and the players tend to adopt that attribute in their approach to the game. We have also had some great coaches lately that still believe in the team approach and preach that philosophy. I would never be so bold as to predict another national championship for next season because it is so difficult to achieve. It takes players, momentum, and some luck to pull it off. I do think all of the parts are in place to make a run at it.

But before we enjoy basketball, we have some fantastic football to savor. Rock Chalk!!

keith horinek 10 years, 9 months ago

This team is going to be really scarey next year. I can't remember when KU has been so talented and deep. The 2008 National Champ. team was talented and went 8 deep, but this team, wow! I believe our second 5 could easily start for most any other big 12 team. I know X may only play for one year, but I keep remembering Julian Wright and Brandon Rush. They were only going to stay one year and they stayed 2 and 3 years. One never knows what may happen. HCBS is going to have to manage playing time very carefully.

Joe Joseph 10 years, 9 months ago

Morningstar will be starting at the 2 spot. Guarantee.

Timmay97 10 years, 9 months ago

Everyone is forgetting one HUGE thing.....

Based on what I have read, C.J. is coming to KU as a Sophomore. Therefore, he's going to be at KU for 3 years. Xavier said that family means EVERYTHING to him and that he would do anything for his brother.......who's to say that he won't stay another 2 maybe even 3 years to be with his brother?

It's hard to turn down immediate $$$ in the NBA, but you never know. For some reason, the kids who come to KU don't realize how much fun they are going to have.

Also, as far as the PT for all this talent.....Bill Self has a senior on this upcoming team that knows all about waiting his turn to shine.....his name is Sherron Collins. We all know that he could have started over Russell Robinson his freshman and sophomore year, but he never complained and was the much needed spark off the bench.

This is what's going to happen this year with this team. If everyone has good attitudes, good things will come! This is what Bill Self does.....he's the master!

jayhawkinnc 10 years, 9 months ago

Who knows.....X may decide he's having the time of his life playing at KU with his bro and think this is too much fun to leave just yet and stay 2 years instead of being 1 and done.

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

drgnslayr - HCBS held a teleconference yesterday with the media. He said recruiting is "never over" but his tone indicated that he was not actively pursuing any more for next year - he wants to start working with the group he has now. It did not sound like he was pursuing Stephenson or Wall. But, who knows with coach...

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

drgnslayr......NO, supposedly he is still in contact with the Stephenson family. If, by some miracle that happens, don't be surprised if Releford and maybe Reed redshirt 2009-2010.

It boggles the mind...a starting lineup of Aldrich, Collins, Morningstar, Taylor and Marcus M. a Sweet Sixteen team, would more than have their hands full with the "New Guy Team" of X, Lance, Johnson, Robinson and Withey!!!!!!!

As a previous poster mentioned [ and please don't tell Lew], I would pay to watch practice!!!!!

RonBurgandy 10 years, 9 months ago

While it would be great if X wasn't a one and done player, I really don't see him staying longer than a year. I think it is pretty obvious that he will be in the NBA next year considering he could probably be a pretty good player this year.

But I don't care, I am just ecstatic they are coming to KU. We should be awesome next year and hopefully it will end on a positive note (ie National Title)!

jchief40 10 years, 9 months ago

As far as turning down lottery pick money in the NBA: Cole did it. Cole's the man!

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

All summer - you're joking - right?!? Everytime there is an article re the BB team, spend all day posting messages!

I know we have all this great talent coming in, but I predict some of the most surprising output will come from the Morris twins and Mario Little. I believe with Mario healthy and the competion for playing time will push these guys to a higher level next year.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

Drdnslayr....well,

We can make fun of Jaybate...who I truly enjoy reading and jousting and will probably post several novels over the summer.

We can ask 100 how in the heck is Withey going to crack the starting line-up.

We can make preseason predictions on how far down Memphis will finish in the CUSA or when KU and NC pass Kentucky in victories

We can debate the fact that the quality of the overall personnel is going to be such an upgrade, the veterans are going to get better as they are more challenged thus the new guys will be challenged to be better...etc., etc...in a beautifully vicious circle of competition.

We could all pretend that no one has committed and go through this all over again.

We can all post on the Memphis and Kentucky websites and simply say.."nah, nah, naaaaa, na na naaa!!

We could resume contact with our wives, kids, pets and jobs!!!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

drgnslayr

Maybe you could rekindle the old romance and have a place to stay on game night!!!

Married..no children, however two golden retrievers, a border collie and a mother-in-law [ who despite the fact her son went to Misery, is a sweetheart}

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

Oakville & drgnslayr - you need to find someone who has drank the Crimson & Blue koolaide. My wife & I used to camp together at AFH back in the day. Got married in 1989 and had One Shining Moment played during our wedding reception. We took the kids to AFH to watch the Final Four games. I can't imagine having a spouse/girlfriend who doesn't share the passion.

Matt Kenton 10 years, 9 months ago

DC, I like your depth chart... no disagreements.

And stupidmichael, if Brady Morningstar starts on this team all season, I guarantee we don't win the National Title. I hope you're saying you think he WILL start and not SHOULD start. Either way, I disagree.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 9 months ago

Timmay97: You said: "Based on what I have read, C.J. is coming to KU as a Sophomore. Therefore, he's going to be at KU for 3 years." I believe he will be a sophomore academically, but only a freshman in eligibility. Due to injury he didn't play his freshman year in Memphis. So he could play four years if he wanted to stay that long.

quigley 10 years, 9 months ago

Why does everyone want to put Sherron at the 1? The only reason he was there last year is because Taylor was too green to run the offense and dribble the ball up court. Sherron is a shooter. Taylor is not the scoring threat you need out of a 2. I say you have Reed and Taylor work at the 1 all summer and you free up Sherron to get open and drain shots.

Chris Teegarden 10 years, 9 months ago

My fiancé grew up on Kentucky and wasn’t really a big basketball fan at all until we met. When the 07-08 season started she hated it when I would watch games, but Thanks to Sasha that all changed. She was convinced every time they were saying Sasha Kaun that they were saying shocka kaun and just from that she started paying attention she just fell in love. Now she has drank the kool-aid

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

quigley - I think most people just pencil Sherron in at the 1 because HCBS doesn't really have a 1 & 2 system. He has always used the combo guard philosophy. The last true 1 guard to play at KU was Aaron Miles - and he was not a Self recruit. I wouldn't get too frustrated by the assumption - it doesn't really matter IMO.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

Although my wife is from a tolally Mizzou family [ generations of Tigers, ugh!!] she herself did not go and has fallen totally in love with the campus and all things KU. She even painted a 4'-0" by 4'-0" Jayhawk that now hangs in the new Krehbiel Men's Scholarship Hall!!

The Magic of Kansas University is amazing to see....here in St.louis, we [probably self-righteously] call Busch Stadium, Baseball Heaven....however, Lawrence, Kansas is TRULY College Basketball Heaven.......and, someday Football Heaven, also!!!

Danny Hernandez 10 years, 9 months ago

We still need a true wing man to complete the team. X is more of a 2g, a tall 2g I might add. There is still room for Lance

vmwskywalk 10 years, 9 months ago

Jayhawker, Oakville, & dragnslayr - I like this topic and I'll add... I met a girl at KU. She was a transfer from Texas. Things were fairly serious. I took her to a basketball game at AFH and sat in my uncle's seats about 10 rows behind the KU bench. She got bored. End of story. Years later, I bring my girlfriend who gratuated from Auburn. We sat somewhere up in the rafters for the New Orleans U game. She said it was the greatest sporting event she had ever been to. Even better than SEC football. She became a huge Sash Kaun fan. I married her and we won a national championship.

keith horinek 10 years, 9 months ago

Does anybody know when the 2009-2010 BB schedule comes out?

Joe Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

Ok...we're on our way! Releford and Reed need to redshirt. Reed can actually take an academic scholly and Morningstar will sacrifice his scholly. There is at least one more scholly possible for Lance! Lance will not be a OAD. We could take 2 and maybe three NC over the next 2-3 yrs if Self will snag Lance.
Don't worry about the rotation b/c we need the depth. We'll lose Aldrich and Collins next. That will give us two more schollys to work with the other incoming recruits over the next 2-3 years. We are in great shape for a while. Self and Co will plan this perfectly. I see 2-3 more banners hanging in the Phog!!

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 9 months ago

Where was Carl Henry yesterday? Not a peep from him, yet he has been the mouthpiece for the family the past 3 weeks. Very interesting.

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

vmwskywalk - that's a great story. I went down to Auburn in fall 1987 to watch KU get spanked by the Tigers. That was/is a great football atmosphere (although I think Jim Crowe was the city manager back then) but NOTHING compares to a big game at AFH (not even close.)

Jaminrawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Everyone thought Tyler Hansbrough was going to be one-and-done. Same with Johnny Flynn and Ty Lawson. Julian Wright and Brandon Rush were rumored to be one-and-done when they came to KU too. Sometimes kids like college enough to come back for a another year or two.

Regardles, if we just have X for one year, I think he is going to be one of the best players we've ever watched. His skill set reminds me of Paul Pierce. Deadly shooter with an uncanny ability to get to the rim through traffic. I also think X is a better athlete than Pierce ever was, so it should be interesting.

KUPROUD 10 years, 9 months ago

Oldalum, I think C.J.'s age might determine that he is a sophomore in playing eligibility since he was 21 when he began college. Not certain, but I read that at one source

I'm also a Brady fan, and I will not be surprised to find him in the starting lineup for the first several games. However, by January I think he'll be coming off the bench. Coach places great emphasis on defense, and if the new guys don't play good defense they will get more splinters in their b*tts than in their feet for awhile, regardless of their talent. Typically it takes freshmen a few weeks to fully understand what good defense is all about.

100 10 years, 9 months ago

No wonder Coach Cal had a minor heart attack Tuesday night before signing the juco kid Dodson to play on his juco-like team.

Cal not only lost the best player he's ever recruited (X), he lost also one of "the other best players he's ever had on a team" -- CJ Henry!

Matt Kenton 10 years, 9 months ago

Dannyboy, is Xavier any less a 'true wing man' than Brandon Rush? Both are 6'6" and X has about 15 lbs on Rush and should be more aggressive at taking it to the rack (and dishing). His best value to this team next season could be as our new "best on-ball defender."

Mike Ardis 10 years, 9 months ago

"Self — he played against Carl Henry in high school and worked at KU as a grad assistant when Barbara and Vickie played here .."

Wouldn't Self have played against Carl Henry in 1982-84 when he was at OSU and Henry was at KU?

rckchlkjhawk15 10 years, 9 months ago

Who would we rather have Lance or John. or just play with what we have now?

Brian Skelly 10 years, 9 months ago

This will be the deepest team in regards of talent and skill since Roy's 01-02 team.

That team brought Wayne Simien, Keith Langford, and Michael Lee off the BENCH.

This team will be comparable I'd figure. Regardless, they'll be fun to watch.

The reality is guys like Relaford, Morningstar, Reed are gonna have trouble getting any kind of minutes until garbage time. Thats just so. But teams get 13 players for a reason. They get their time. This maybe harder on Morningstar than anyone else. He's gonna go from 20+ minute starter to lucky if he's in the rotation.

The one "plus" if X leaves is the fact that a lot of guys who'll lose minutes this coming season, will probably see a lot more come the 10-11 season. Im quite sure thats something Self sells with the guys deep on the bench.

I think people forget to that Elijiah Johnson is a top 5 PG recruit. He'd probably start at most D-I programs right away. We'll hardly lose a step when we bring him in for Collins.

Damn. Midnight Madness cant get here soon enough. It should be fun.

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

BPSkelly - I'm sorry and I admit that I'm being a total douche by saying this...
KU has "Late Night" - other programs have midnight madness. Why do I bring this up? KU Late Night in the Phog is the premier "1st Practice" celebration in the country. Its history and pageantry is unequaled. Calling it midnight madness cheapens it for me. (Ok, I'll put my big boy pants back on now...)

Michael Auchard 10 years, 9 months ago

Of course, I'm happy we got the Henrys. I just hope Elijah Johnson balls it up something fierce.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 9 months ago

Morningstar will still have a role as the "on court" coach, albeit with few minutes. And when he graduates I bet you have your newest graduate assistant entering the Jayhawk coaching pipeline.

hydrohawk 10 years, 9 months ago

38-2 with a NC next year, no doubt. I love X but even if he is a OAD it wont hurt to bad. Harrison Barnes is on tap for 2010 and most believe he is the best SG/SF in this or next years class (some so called "experts" say he is already better than X right now). Barnes can come in 2 years and our Jayhawks wont skip a beat.

BabyJay2009 10 years, 9 months ago

I know the room is getting crowded, but the possibility that Lance still joining the Dream Team may turn out to not be a "pipedream" after all. It is not out of the question. Zagblogs, for whatever it's worth, posted the following:

**Despite the Henry-to-Kansas news, Stephenson is still said to be considering Kansas and Kansas could still take him. The Jayhawks would have to move one of their scholarship players — Brady Morningstar? — off scholarship. Still, that would leave things awfully crowded on the wing with Sherron Collins, Henry and Stephenson.

**Word is that Stephenson does not want to stay local at St. John’s and thinks that Gary Williams‘ system at Maryland is too structured. Both of these things make sense, but both St. John’s and Maryland have put the fullcourt press on recently.

That, in turn, could open up the chances of him going to Kansas or even Memphis.

I say, if L is still a possibility, then why not John Wall first instead of L? Anyone here have the scoop on John Wall?? Seems like he may leaning toward stale Calamari.

BabyJay2009 10 years, 9 months ago

Hydrohawk - i hear the same thing about H.Barnes.
My best - undefeated Big 12 reg season and Conf Tourn Champ!

Seriously - I'm stilling having goose bumps thinking of the line up next year.

Joe Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

I can't wait to see Perry Ellis hit the Court of Phog! We have an even brighter future at KU now. We have small, big, half court, etc. You have it, we'll match it!! I have never been so satisfied with KU b-ball than I am now!

I don't think our homecourt winning streak is in any danger!! It will be a show, especially in the Phog!! Beware, Oh Be Very Aware!!

Can anyone see any team that matches? Texas? I don't think they'll have the depth!!

Joe Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

drgnslayr: I heard that Roy was out for Wall. He visited Wall right before the Final Four and never heard back!
I WANT TO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON WITH LANCE AND SELF NOW!!

Joe Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

Remember Wall's mother has been ill and my understanding is he wants to stay in Carolina for his mother.

keith horinek 10 years, 9 months ago

If we got Wall or Stephenson, then redshirt Collins and Aldrich and string the National championships out another year, maybe back to back. Don't shoot me, just thinking outside the box.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

OakvilleJHawk,

I will be in Busch Stadium tomorrow, and all I can say is....

Go Cubs!

Oh, and clearly Wrigley is the REAL baseball heaven. I mean, come on.... :)

But, hey, at least we agree on Allen Fieldhouse, right?

Waiting the next 3 months for KU Football and Basketball to start back up again may kill me. Then again with a trifecta -- KU Football Big 12 Championship and BCS win, KU Basketball National Championship, and a Cubs World Series -- my head would most certainly explode...........

lv_jhwk 10 years, 9 months ago

old_alum: from another article today, "C.J. Henry actually will be a sophomore next season because his college career started after the age of 21 and the clock continues to tick each year after that." Based on that, I guess he wasn't eligible for a medical redshirt this past season.

drgnslayr: my wife is a Nebraska alum. While dating, we would debate which is better, a basketball game at AFH or a football game at Memorial Stadium (theirs, of course). So I took her to watch a game against Gonzaga during our first year as a couple. Needless to say, she's yet to take me to a Husker football game!

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

truehawk93 - I heard the same quote about Uncle Roy. Wall seemed like UNC was totally out of the picture. He listed both Duke and NC State as possibilities (amongst others.) That would keep him in close to mom (does he have the academics for Duke?)

Derek Conway 10 years, 9 months ago

Guaranteed starting lineup first game of the year:

1-Sherron 2-Brady 3-Xavier 4-Marcus 5-Cole

First five off of the bench (positions 1-5)

1-Elijah 2-Tyshawn 3-Mario 4-Robinson followed closely by Markieff 5-J. Withey

*Our second team would put us in the top 20. I have never seen a team this deep in college basketball. (I've been alive since 1989) We need to practice hard, get lucky by avoiding injuries and we will be right there where we want to be at the end of the year.

Timmay97 10 years, 9 months ago

I hate to say it because I love the kid, but I think the same thing that happened to Greg Paulus this past year is going to happen to Morningstar. He's playing time is going to be cut in half.

He can still shoot lights out and if Henry and Collins break down the defense, he's going to have a field day.

aw52 10 years, 9 months ago

Can anyone confirm if MIZ-ZOU (or whatever that ridiculous chant is) wants to play us in anything? Beatdown in baseball at the K. Beatdown in football at Arrowhead. Beatdown in basketball at AFH.

I cant wait to enjoy playing the "40 minutes of happiness" 3 times next year. As a 12 seed in the conference tourney, it will be the only time next year I will root for that crap they call a mod squad or basketball team. Win that game against the 9 seed and knock that goofy looking grin off Nolan Richardson Jr's mug.

He's been smiling ever since he completed last season without any in-season incarcerations. Let's be serious....this is something that KU basketball fans should commend him for. The future is bright at the new Paige Sports Arena or whatever the hell its called.

100 10 years, 9 months ago

If Lance still wants to be a Jayhawk, all he has to do is call Self's office.

Plenty of room.

It's as simple as a quick phone call & some paperwork.

How? Reed's academic or Brady's.

Why, for instance, would Brady help out? Because he's a bigger Jayhawk fan than all of us put together. A year of tough practice with an NBA group would do his game wonders. And he'd still be our best 3 point bomber in games.

Then his 2011 season would have him looking at a breakout season.

Always a few hard working shooters will sneak into the NBA.

The guy that reminds me the most of Brady is that guy that helped Jordan so much as their best 3 point shooter. Steve Kerr. No one wouldve ever thought he would make it to the NBA when Kerr was in college.

Brady would only up his chances by giving up his scholly next year to turn his game up a notch against a bunch of first round NBAers.

actorman 10 years, 9 months ago

Excellent point about Brady, 100.

"This is gonna be exciting. But we will have to wait three months watching Reesing throw to Briscoe first."

Very well said.

"What are we all going to do all summer? The wait is going to be murder!"

I'm just struggling with the anticipation today; how the hell am I going to make it through a few more months?!?!?!?

"We could resume contact with our wives, kids, pets and jobs!!!"

What are you, un-American?

"Got married in 1989 and had One Shining Moment played during our wedding reception."

Now there's a true patriot!

"We could take 2 and maybe three NC over the next 2-3 yrs if Self will snag Lance."

Well three would clearly be impossible. Haven't you read what the Kentucky "fan" has been writing? He said that UK would win three of the next five championships. I still haven't been able to clean up all the coffee I spit up when I laughed so hard from reading that.

"I see Robinson and Whithey taking tons of minutes from the fruit cake twins."

There's no need to insult two of KU's players while you're making a comment about playing time. So they had a few issues this year; they were FRESHMEN, for God sake, give them a break!

"38-2 with a NC next year, no doubt."

You can settle for 38-2 if you want; I'm thinking undefeated. Let's make history -- the first time since '76. I know that Keegan will be predicting it.

"Waiting the next 3 months for KU Football and Basketball to start back up again may kill me."

It is brutal, but don't forget we still have the baseball team to root on to the CWS.

It is truly a remarkable time in Jayhawk land!

Brett Glover 10 years, 9 months ago

I have no doubt in my mind that we will go undefeated in either Non-Conference or Conference play, I haven't really made up my mind which one I'd rather have,,,,, so I'll just have both :)

But really though, if we do get Stephenson, (Not that we don't already) but we'll be the best looking preseason team I've seen in a few years.... No one get mad at me but I think this years team has the potential to blow the NC team out of the water performance wise.

100 10 years, 9 months ago

Lhohman3,

You're freaking us all out. That is by far one of the funniest/ most disturbing posts i've ever read on this site.

Keep 'em coming.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Dear "thinking outside the box" and Co. ,

how about having MJ come back out of retirement, find the fountain of youth, find the loop hole in the NCAA regulations, specifically section 2 million sub section BS, regain 4 years of college elligability and then we can kick ass forever and ever.

Really, our team is stacked to a sick degree. There have been a number of players that have put out a ton of sweat last season for our entertainment. Calling for Wall and Stephenson to come join reminds me of little kids that just got something for free and didn't apprectiate it. Those calling for Wall and Stephenson together are clueless.

I can't wait to see this team, the one today, the one that exceeded all of our expectations last year, progress to be national contenders.

100 10 years, 9 months ago

Fairgrove,

The KU posters aren't the only ones who think this Lance (or Wall) thing might happen. Several sources said this very well could happen when the Calipari thing went down. The Whitlock article comes to mind for instance.

If you're a head coach that can build your program for years to come you do it. If one "wants" to come ( as Zagsblog is indicating), do you not pick up the phone?

nobodylikesmizzou 10 years, 9 months ago

dlshaw74

we don't have a chris withey...it's jeff and Cole would not play the four

now, I will proceed to read the rest of the comments

cheers

Brett Glover 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm going to freeze myself..

And I'll have the the football scores wired to my brain

three days before late night I shall be unfrozen For recovery I'll watch the KU DEPAUL game Because whenever they say Dar Tucker I giggle

Then I'll make love to Ashley Judd, God knows she needs some kind of pick up..

nobodylikesmizzou 10 years, 9 months ago

Sorry I sounded like an ass in that comment...my bad

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

100 - Man I hear you, good point, why pass up such an opportunity.

But at the same time I struggle with the concept of 'culling', which is what it feels like to me. I side with the Darnell Jackson type of player (not saying you don't - who couldn't). Bringing in superstars that take the place of teammates on a sweet sixteen team just doesn't sit well with me.

If the opportunity arose, Self would have to take it. That type of opportunity likely would not come around often which could be a double edged sword in the long run.

There's a lot of balance to consider, thank god I don't have to do it. That's why we have the 3 million dollar man.

100 10 years, 9 months ago

Nice points Fairgrove.

One things for sure he's at least been in contact over the phone with Lance, even if it's just an apology about Lance not getting a ring before the NBA.

Self can't be in NY because it's a no visit time

ICTJAYHAWK61 10 years, 9 months ago

Is it just me or has Xavier changed his position to SF. He's always been listed as a SG and been a perimeter player but everyone seems to think he'll be playing SF. I for one think we will be going big an awful lot against teams for match up problems.

PG) Sherron SG) X-Man SF) Marcus PF) Robinson C) Cole

On a completely different note everyone seems to think Elijah will be the back up PG he's listed as a SG. I think we'll se Taylor running the point more than EJ. If Ty and Sherron can catch EJ going to the hole he'll be posterizing people !!! I can't wait it will be like when Mario used to go through the lane and throw it down like he was trying to break the glass!

Good luck to all our Jayhawks in the NBA Playoffs!!! Pierce,Mario,Darnell,Julian,Kirk,Vaughn,Gooden,Raef (I think he's still with Portland) I wonder if another school has that many former GREATS still active in the playoffs? Rock Chalk Jayhawk !!! I feel sorry for people who are not KU fans they're missing out on something great!!

LTownie 10 years, 9 months ago

Has anyone watched the "born ready" clips of Stevenson? Did you see the one where he pegs a dude in the head with the ball after he gets fouled in practice? Hilarious. I'm glad we have X instead of Lance - I think he's got better character.

100 10 years, 9 months ago

Oakville,

As for Withey. I'm not sure who's being paid to hide the story on this guy, but he is an out of this world forward (for a seven footer).

He can also leap out of the gym. Can he start today? Probably not.

This kid does have an incredibly soft jump shot for a big guy, pretty much automatic inside 12 feet. Additionally his D is out of this world -- a bigtime shotblocker.

I'm not by anytime saying it's written in stone, but as the Championship game rolls around, Withey will have had a full year (16 months total) of playing with KU in practice.

Since he's a natural forward, it's just a gut instinct that tells me Self will catch on through trial and error in practice that Withey & Aldrich together for a ten minute start of the game is UNSTOPPABLE.

Since they're both incredibly athletic for 7 footers, it's actually not unthinkable that Self would try this, coupled by the fact that the 5 is CoalTrain's natural position & the 4 is Alleyoop-Leap-Out-of-the-Gym-Withey's.

2nd semester, BowlingBall Collins is gonna have a blast next year flipping it over the top to those two all day long.

I already have a bunch of plays drawn up for the championship game.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

LAJayhawk

I am a season ticket holder and will be there Saturday as well. Come on by, Section 152, Row 10, Seats 10 and 11. Box Seats behind home plate.Since you're a diehard Hawk fan I'll give you a pass on the Wrigley thing. : } & LOL

All kidding aside, Wrigley Field is special and all you other posters, if you haven't been there and you're a baseball fan, you've got to go.

I love the beat-up, out-dated, dirty, no women's bathrooms and warm beer place!!!!!!

I think most of America's heads would explode if there was a Cubs/Red Sox World Series!!!!!!!!

jayhawkgrad2016 10 years, 9 months ago

Im with ralster on this. I mean the twins were freshman. Think Aldrich didnt start as a fresman, look at him now. Shoot aldrich barely played in 08. And the twins came in with big minutes. One was actually starting idk which. Im sure they will be better this year.

So now on to the bigger topic. this is speculation only so... Who is a better team? 08 national champ kansas. Or 09-10 Kansas? They both were/are very deep, and very talented. Its tough for me. what do you guys think?