Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Henrys say prom will keep them from visiting Kentucky

A decision to attended Kansas is said to be near, but no confirmation as yet

Marc Maggard of Truebluekentucky.com on Tuesday night was reporting on his Web site that “Xavier Henry and C.J. Henry will commit to Kansas.”

“Everyone will say ‘it’s not true,’ because the Henrys don’t want it out yet, but it’s true,” Maggard wrote.

Nobody in the Henry family or sources around the Memphis, Kentucky or KU programs indicated this was the case as of late Tuesday night.

Carl Henry, father of Xavier and C.J., did tell the Journal-World his sons will not visit Kentucky this weekend.

“Xavier has prom Friday night,” Carl Henry said. “They (sons) don’t think they have to visit to make a decision. They know the coaches and style of play of the coaches.”

Carl disagreed with reports that surfaced earlier in the day that his sons are considering Memphis as a possibility.

He said the finalists are KU and Kentucky.

“I don’t think Xavier wants to do that,” Carl said of attending Memphis, where C.J. was a non-scholarship red-shirt this past season.

Carl said the family believes it has solid information that C.J., a 6-foot-3 guard, will not have to sit out next season if he attends KU or Kentucky.

Carl repeated what was reported by Sports Illustrated on Tuesday, that because his son initiated contact with Memphis and because the New York Yankees paid for his tuition, there is a “one-time eligibility rule” that will allow C.J. to play immediately.

“He will be able to play,” Carl said.

Whether the reports of the Henrys to KU are proven true or not true ... it does appear a decision is imminent.

“Hopefully soon,” Carl told the J-W.

This note was previously part of an unrelated KU basketball story and has been moved.

Comments

TexasHawk44 10 years, 9 months ago

hope it is true but believe it when I see it come out of X and CJ's mouths, not Carl's or a writer's...

JJHawq 10 years, 9 months ago

believe when i see - but yay!!!! all the idiots on this board who have been bashing him will be first in line to smell his jock if he signs.

BCRavenJHawkfan 10 years, 9 months ago

“I’m ready to get it over with,” Carl told the Daily Oklahoman. “I think it’s been going on too long.” Well duh!

ku_phanatik 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm sure KU will be good regardless of what happens. It will be great to see what the final product will be like though. My biggest question is how Bill Self will manage the minutes and what rotations will he consider.

Brett Forreal 10 years, 9 months ago

Yep, they were waiting to see if CJ cleared the NCAA rule first to commit to KU. If he didn't they would have stayed at Memphis. After looking at two videos on You tube I would rather have Lance. Sure it will be nice to have X but man Lance dunked over Cousins at the McDonald's game, type in Lance Stephenson and see him do it! Also, I watched an interview video with Lance and X. Lance you can tell his hungry to win and that's what drives him he said. It is all about winning to him. What not a better player to have on a championship team next year. X could care less and is all about himself saying KU can come to me. He also stated pretty much that Lance is just an ok player with a couple quick moves. I would like X to see the video of Lance dunking over Cousins. Lance could posterize X. X couldn't come close to doing what Lance did. I know he is good but come on, he could care less about college and winning. I just hope we get Lance instead of X. But it looks like it is not true. I can't see what Self is seeing in X, but I guess we have to trust him to make the best call.

Joe Ross 10 years, 9 months ago

For those of you old enough to remember when Carl Henry played at Kansas, Im sure there will be extra joy and many flashbacks for you should his sons play here.

Mark my words: if the Henry's commit, it'll blow the roof off of Allen Field House.

THIS IS HOME, BOYS!

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

jaybate news service:

Carl Henry has just been hired as the new Chancellor of the University of Kansas.

Topside 10 years, 9 months ago

"I think its been going on too long.." Definitely the understatement of the year.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

jaybate news service: latest headline

Carl Henry has just been hired as the first Vice Chancellor of Basketball at the University of Kansas. The position was authorized by the Kansas state legislature yesterday.

developing...

:-)

arcticjhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I think I will wait until I see the official result as well. This has just dragged on too long with too many sways back and forth.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 9 months ago

Scout.Com is officially reporting it is almost a done deal for them to Jayhawks. Dave Telep is nationally known recruiting analyst and has put the word out to all Scout.Com subscribers.

KUFan90 10 years, 9 months ago

Mz - please send the video of Lance "posterizing" Cousins to Bill Self. I'm sure he'll drop his recruitment of X immediately...he obviously just hasn't seen it yet.

Just think...we could have avoided all this chaos.

nammyjignigh 10 years, 9 months ago

jaybate.....That's awesome. LMAO

With all the hype and drama surrounding Xavier and his recruitment, if he does commit to KU, he will be under the biggest microscope and scrutiny. I think he's good enough to believe the hype, but expectations are high.

Joe Ross 10 years, 9 months ago

THIS IS HOME, BOYS!

Matt Kenton 10 years, 9 months ago

I agree with Mz and have a feeling Lance could be hungrier, harder worker, etc, but we can't turn our back on the Henrys. They are KU family and if they want to come here and are waiting on word from the NCAA that CJ can play here next season, then we wait.

Matt Kenton 10 years, 9 months ago

Plus we had some talented players that didn't seem real hungry at times a few years ago, and that seemed to work out okay.

Greg Lux 10 years, 9 months ago

Best quote of this article " I ready to get this over with " !! Enough already this is like your dentist making you wait in the waiting room for a report on your X-rays. AAAAGH!!!

Rock chalk

Todd Mobray 10 years, 9 months ago

I hope they delay their announcement for a week or two. I will miss all this...

rtjayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

JROSS - where the hell have you been?!?!?!

orawhaty402 10 years, 9 months ago

You know what? Either Lance or X could come in and to be honest with ya........KU already has a great core group of guys. I would be ok with X coming to Lawerence or Lance. Just get it over with so we know what individuals will help us go all the way!!!!! Next year.............35-5ish?

Gil Ek 10 years, 9 months ago

If they both show up to play next year I could see two redshirts off the roster. Reed and Releford. Playing time will be minimal. Brady's D gets him in but with far less minutes than last year. Only IF will be how the chemistry is, but will be burdened with monsterous expectations next year and KU has failed to live up to that in the past. Will be an awesome potential next year just with what we have now and the 3 new players coming. The addition of Team Henry will make for interesting competition all over the floor.

Brandon Hull 10 years, 9 months ago

KUMatt2001 has finally said what I think a lot of people have ignored: I'll bet there is an unwritten rule KU coaches follow where they give preferential treatment to the children of former players (especially children as good as Xavier). And I'll bet it's almost like a "right of first refusal." And I'll even bet that's explained to Lance.

That's why Self has patiently waited. And outside of giving Lance credit for being mature beyond his years, it's the only real explanation for why Lance would be so patient to wait for Xavier's decision without getting irritated with KU, Born Ready website aside.

I have no clue if this is true, but it makes sense at a tradition-rich institution like KU.

Brett Forreal 10 years, 9 months ago

KUfan90-

When the final horn sounds hopefully KU winning it all or maybe not.. X will be off to the the NBA probably just after trying to showcase himself all year to the scouts. Not even looking back to see old KU. I could be wrong and hope I am. The interviews sure don't prove so far that I'm wrong. If we don't win it all everybody will be saying if only we had Lance instead. Lance would be the one of the two that would stick around probably another year. Maybe it is Lance's behavior or attitude. You just gotta love Lance's hunger to win.

Joe Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

Thank You! This is the best indication we've had since this began. It sounds pretty sure with outside KU sources validating the "rumor". I don't think Memphis and UK would validate this simultaneously if it were not true, barring a few skeptics. I think we can breath a little easier and start looking forward to football. I can't wait to see the team gel and make a small adjustment with a consistent shooter on the wing.
Lance is great, but I think he understood Self's intentions all long. They were given some indication when Self visited them in NY recently. They immediately visited St Johns after Self's visit. Again, I welcome either player. Carl is definitely right about one thing, this went WAY TOO LONG!! I still think it hinged on the ncaa's ruling of CJ's playtime and transfer situation.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Scott Smetana 10 years, 9 months ago

Settle down everyone... truebluekentucky.com gets their info from talking horses.

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

Remember, you saw it here first… The newest video board “Dream On” montage played at Late Night in the Phog will include new clips of Carl Henry right before the Danny fist pump clip. Perhaps from the 1984 Big 8 Tourney Championship game against OU – or perhaps a 2009 photo of him on the phone with a look of exasperation on his face!

mariofan11 10 years, 9 months ago

MZ,

Please quit posting. You dont seem very educated and you are sounding like an 8th grader who just cut from the basketball team.

Yes, Lance Stephenson is awesome. I would LOVE to have him. But, now that it looks like we are going to get X, I am good with that as well. With the way KU is set up next year X almost makes more sense. Sherron and Cole are going to be our big 1-2 punch, but now people cant pack the lane on Cole. They will have to respect X's outside shot. X is a better shooter than Lance. I dont think one is better than the other, but having an outside threat like X will be all the difference in the world.

chicagoeddie 10 years, 9 months ago

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! this drama is crazy!

Todd Mobray 10 years, 9 months ago

I think there is a point here that not many people have mentioned IF we get the Henry brothers (will it ever end????). We will get X for a year, maybe two. But we get CJ for 3 or 4. CJ is a great athlete who was good enough to be recruited by many major basketball programs and drafted as a SS/Pitcher by the Yankees. Not to mention he is 5-6 years older than the average incoming freshman. That athleticism and maturity may pay off in a year or two.

Reminds me a little of the Aaron Miles/Michael Lee package deal. I (and probably many others) thought we were spending two scholarships to get one point guard and his best friend who was a better football player. But Lee ended up being a major contributor as early as his sophomore season. CJ may play a large role in the re-peat of 2010-2011 and the three-peat (I owe Pat Riley $1) of 2011-2012.

Eric Williams 10 years, 9 months ago

Is the Jaybate news service being hit by the economy?

Their "news updates" are only a few lines long. I wait for the day where I have to read a post so long, it requires being broken up into 4 separate posts.

SoCalAlum 10 years, 9 months ago

Asssuming that the Henry Bros commit to KU, I get it that X is a great recruit, a KU legacy, and a terrific fill at the 3 for next year. But what has almost been more impressive throughout the craziness of the past weeks has been the patience and restraint of Lance...this is a guy that won four-in-a-row public school championships in NYC and is the all-time scorer in NY state history. Based on what his family said they wanted for him (out of NYC), KU was a perfect match for him...if he wants to continue his championship ways, maybe coming to KU is not of the question for him (put him at the 2)...

SoCalAlum 10 years, 9 months ago

Asssuming that the Henry Bros commit to KU, I get it that X is a great recruit, a KU legacy, and a terrific fill at the 3 for next year. But what has been more impressive throughout the craziness of the past weeks has been the patience and restraint of Lance...this is a guy that won four-in-a-row public school championships in NYC and is the all-time scorer in NY state history. Based on what his family said they wanted for him (out of NYC), KU was a perfect match for him...if he wants to continue his championship ways, maybe coming to KU is not of the question for him (put him at the 2)...

DallasHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

drgnslayr: I agree that if we do land one of these guys that Releford shoudl redshirt. Especially if we get CJ in the package. Look what an extra year did for Brady!

BCRavenJHawkfan 10 years, 9 months ago

jross1972,

Nice to see you posting, I thought you were long lost. I am ready for a flashback. But if the news turns out to be different I can learn to live with it.

Hays_Hawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm feeling a lot better about it after seeing that article. I mean, you have to consider some facts about each choice...

Kentucky - New coach rebuilding a shotty program - Rebuilding year so probably no shot at a title - They're not even visiting campus...

Kansas - Were already pre-ranked #1 - A legitimate Championship run in 2010 - A solid team with Collins and Aldrich already there - There dad played here - ...and the most important reason, BILL SELF :-)

Seems like a pretty clear cut decision.

mwilliam 10 years, 9 months ago

I think both will be good college ball players...who knows, HCBS might be trying to convince both, i.e., Lance and X to make the trek to Lawrence. The purpose of this post is to question those who seem to have forgotten that HCBS is in fact a coach that requires discipline and does not back off his philosophy in his efforts to make the "team" in his image--one that wins by team work. I say all of that to say, why would anyone think Self would let one player, regardless of how good that player might be, ruin a run at a nat'l championship. That is what is implied by the posts that keep hammering on the OAD and that X is only thinking about himself and will only play to get what he can get out of the program. We are talking about an individual who will be playing for Bill Self.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Wow, lets hope that Fox Sports story is true. It has been a long strange recruiting process, but hopefully it will finally have a happy ending for Jayhawk fans.

alucard 10 years, 9 months ago

I've seen a few comments about worry over X coming in and showboating for the NBA scouts. I think Self has proven that he won't put up with that. I recall several times when Julian Wright tried to make some flashy plays in a game that resulted in missed shots or turnovers and it earned him a quick trip to the bench, and Self said something to the extent that we have two great shooters wide open on the perimeter and he puts up crap like that. Self has shown he can get players to play team ball, so I wouldn't worry about this too much.

SCHNBALL 10 years, 9 months ago

Here is the latest from fox sports. http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9483628/Sources:-Xavier-Henry,-brother-pick-Kansas. I have lived in both Kansas and Kentucky, the fever for a national title in KY is soo bad right now I don't think most truly understand. I have played in Rupp and watched several games in Rupp and AFH, the fieldhouse wins hands down for the total package. Kentucky is back and will be in the spotlight for years to come, but I think the rich tradition of KU will win out over time.

suttonku 10 years, 9 months ago

where is that hawks2010 kid now? I wonder if he still believes that the Henry's are still committed to Memphis...Hawks2010 said there was going to be a press conference in memphis at 230 today introducing the Henry's to Memphis...LMAO

TexasHawk44 10 years, 9 months ago

alucard: you are spot on. No player will become bigger than KU and I really don't think X will be that kind of player. in watching him, he seems to play within the flow of the game. If he is really on board, I am pumped. I would have loved Lance too but we needed a high-quality 3 and that is what we have if X is really on his way to Lawrence!

lv_jhwk 10 years, 9 months ago

For once and for all, let's be clear: yes, HCBS has recruited both Zah-vee-ay and Lance through this whole ordeal. It has never been a "one over the other", "first choice, second choice" type of thing...both had offers that Self would have been more than pleased to have both accept.

Lance alone is responsible for his situation, as he would have committed earlier but didn't want to do so and still have Z come in as well. That is not a bad thing. By waiting, he simply chose to make a business decision rather than a personal one, to make sure that he protected his own best interests. Has he stayed above the fray as a result? Definitely. Has he been as virtuous as some say? Not necessarily.

I don't think for a second that Lance fears competition, especially against Z, but why go into a situation that ultimately might detract from your goals? And for that I do applaud Lance, and wish him the best wherever he lands. (KU would still be a great place!)

Steve Gantz 10 years, 9 months ago

This reminds me of Seinfeld where Jerry and George are trying to determine the motives of some woman who mentioned one of their names.
There are 52 comments here on a story about a high school kid going to a prom.

RockChalkMoFo 10 years, 9 months ago

Another story and X interview, you know Cal is not going to let them get away that easy and is still hustling them.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/04/21/as-the-world-turns-henrys-dodson-beatty/ His comments around the 4:00 mark make me think KU is the choice.

Apologies if these have been posted previously.

suttonku 10 years, 9 months ago

hey rivals says there is a press conference scheduled but I cant veiw the article does anyone know what time it's going to be at?

Brett Forreal 10 years, 9 months ago

mariofan11, Please don't question my education. I probably have a higher degree than you. Just the fact that you had to bring this up for some reason shows everyone that you need to stop posting. This site I believe is not to run people down but to be able to share your thoughts about current KU matters. Look at your post...you run me down then say Lance is an awesome player. Make up your mind. There have been several postings the last several days that have agreed with me and my thoughts on Lance and X. Go check them out. You need to go check out the video of Lance and X interview on You Tube. You might just be mad that what I'm saying is conflicting to your opinion but it is true. I agree with you. X is good and so is Lance. I would take both too. However, Lance is sure showing he wants to win more and X is on the fast track to the NBA only. Lance is not just as good of a shooter as X? Look at all the awards he has won in NYC. Come on seriously? Who need to stop posting......you!

Hays_Hawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Mz, I have no idea who you're arguing with or why but the second line of your post ("I probably have a higher degree than you.") is a little sad buddy. A statement like that, higher degree or not, shows a lack of intelligence and common sense. Try not to start a defensive statement with a pissing contest statement...just a little tip. :-)

Brett Forreal 10 years, 9 months ago

Hays_Hawk, Thanks for the tip. But not needed. I've worked really hard to get my level of degree. Go up and see why I posted what I did before you go and give advice! Thanks.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

Yes, please don't waste any more print on Carl Sr. I'm convince he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Steve Brown 10 years, 9 months ago

drgslyr had great idea to host AFH summer clinic and have Alumni Stallworth Valentine Carl Henry (our new Governor) and others playing crimson vs. blue in a game maybe right after the summer camps and charge $10 tix or can food for charity event.

KU 10 years, 9 months ago

Look at Bill Self go! He may go....all.....the......WAY!!