Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Draft decision date changing

Players who declare will have until May 8 to change their minds

College basketball underclassmen with their eyes on the NBA Draft will be forced to speed up their decision-making process starting next spring.

The NCAA’s legislative council voted Monday to give non-seniors who declare for the draft until May 8 to decide whether to keep their names in the draft hat or return to college.

Currently, underclassmen who declare have until 10 days before the June 25 draft to remove their names if they hope to retain eligibility.

“I think it’s probably a step in the right direction. I wish it was earlier than that,” KU coach Bill Self said Tuesday.

Coaches in the Atlantic Coast Conference were most vocal about the issue, asking the NCAA to shorten the time frame to 10 days after the Final Four.

Self explained why he was in favor of the new rule, which is expected to be rubber-stamped at next week’s NCAA Div. I board of directors meeting.

“So it doesn’t hang programs up for so long, and it will force the NBA to get the players information at a quicker rate,” Self said. “I thought it (allowing players to wait until June 15) was a bad rule, but it was a rule, so you had to deal with it.”

This year, underclassmen would have until April 26 to declare for the draft and until June 15 to withdraw. Next year is expected to have about the same declaration deadline, with players having until May 8 to make up their minds for good. The May 8 date will give coaches some time to replace departing players before the end of the spring signing period. Prospects have until May 20 this year to sign letters of intent.

A previous version of this story contained a note about the recruitment of Xavier Henry. That note has been moved to a separate file.

Comments

WeAreTheChamps 9 years, 3 months ago

So they're not visiting now because of their prom? Or was that comment made before they changed their minds and said they are visiting Kentucky? I'm so confused.

WeAreTheChamps 9 years, 3 months ago

Okay so apparently they're not visiting Kentucky and they should make their decision tomorrow night. And everyone thinks it'll be KU since they've never been to Kentucky. X told a reporter he knows nothing about them and has never paid attention to them, so that's another reason why they think they'll go with Kansas.

Of course I could be completely wrong and they won't make a decision until next week or something. That's just what I read from a few sports blog websites. X telling the reporter all of that is true though because I watched a video of him saying it.

Let's just hope Maggard is right.

suttonku 9 years, 3 months ago

Its pretty much a done deal there are numerous reports with sources saying that the Henry's will announce tomorrow...nothing has been confirmed yet but we should hear something tomorrow

suttonku 9 years, 3 months ago

go to kentuckyink.com or zagsblog they are both reporting that the Henry's have already committed to KU and will announce tomorrow

nash_hawk 9 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone know what color dress CJ will be wearing to the prom??? JK

I do wonder about the poor gal X is taking though. Can you imagine the uncertainty?

Seriously, if the latest reports are true, welcome young men to KU. We look forward to you continuing the family legacy in Lawrence.

NH_JHawk 9 years, 3 months ago

“I’m ready to get it over with,” Carl told the Daily Oklahoman. “I think it’s been going on too long.”

geez Carl ya think?

Hopefully the rumors are true and we can officially welcome the Henry boys (back) to the Jayhawk family tomorrow. If so, can you say preseason #1?

Rock Chalk

Mike Bratisax 9 years, 3 months ago

I seem to recall Stephenson was all but set to announce his decision to go to KU. Obviously, a lot has occurred since then but I still do not understand why Xavier was allowed to put three universities and Stephenson on hold while he considered his 'opportunities'. I'm not sure who it was here who pointed out several stories on Lance and I understand how many could be put off by his behavior. I know he has a lot of baggage but let's be honest, both players, highly skilled, will be here one year only. Xavier will be in the NBA before CJ will be able to play his first college game. Maybe it's just me, but I preferred the old days when the universities had a little more control. I blame Calipari for a lot of this. We all remember the anger when Roy left but at least he had the class to NOT go after his recruits that had committed to Kansas. I'm sure the people at Memphis haven't been thrilled through this process either. Finally, let me ask this, over the long run, who would you rather have as the coach of your team... Calipari or Billy Gillispie? Just remember how Gillispie turned Texas A&M into a Big 12 contender. Sooner or later, Calipari will bite Kentucky also. He can't help it, it's what snakes do.

keith horinek 9 years, 3 months ago

jhawk7782, I have never been a calapari fan for the very reasons you've described. People didn't think he was so bad, now look at the mess he's created. I believed he needed to go to UK to get the respect he wasn't getting at Memphis. Now whatever respect he's gained by moving to UK is eroding away by his actions with his recruits. He would have been better off telling his recruits to stay at Memphis and starting over at UK. On the other hand, as anxious as UK fans are, he probably thought he needed to bring his guns fully loaded to UK or he would be tossed out along with Coach Gillispie. The Henry saga continues.........I think it will be better though to have the Henry brothers choose KU rather than the other way around. That makes KU look better and reinforces the idea that KU is the place where these kids want to go to. Just a few thougts for wednesday morning.

Jeff Schartz 9 years, 3 months ago

If I recall correctly, jayhawk7782, wasn't it Acie Law,jr. and Joseph Jones that put A&M basketball on the map?

jayhawkinnc 9 years, 3 months ago

Roy didn't ask his KU recriuits to follow him to UNC because he knew they weren't that good. (Padgett, Wilkes, Case, and Giddens was drama waiting to happen).

OneandDone 9 years, 3 months ago

Quote from USAToday about John Calipari's final words on the recruits he left behind in Memphis... "Much has been made about the recruiting class that Calipari is leaving in Memphis, although he says he hopes that any player who committed to the Tigers will stay at the school." Since none of us knows what he may or may not have told recriuts in private we should probably give him the benefit of the doubt that he did not actively influence Xavier and CJ (or even Cousins) to drop Memphis and look elsewhere. These guys probably just saw the righting on the wall and though I have a chance to better somewhere other than Memphis with a rookie head coach.

OneandDone 9 years, 3 months ago

Quote from USAToday about John Calipari's final words on the recruits he left behind in Memphis... "Much has been made about the recruiting class that Calipari is leaving in Memphis, although he says he hopes that any player who committed to the Tigers will stay at the school." Since none of us knows what he may or may not have told recriuts in private we should probably give him the benefit of the doubt that he did not actively influence Xavier and CJ (or even Cousins) to drop Memphis and look elsewhere. These guys probably just saw the righting on the wall and though I have a chance to do better somewhere other than Memphis with a rookie head coach.

TexasHawk44 9 years, 3 months ago

OneandDone:

Giving Calipari the benefit of the doubt is not being realistic. Cal is a snake. Period. What is Cal going to say to the media: "Yeah, I delayed my decision to go to UK for a number of days so I could put the high-pressure used car pitch on my dream recruits at Memphis. I know that if I can bring them to Kentucky we would have a very nice team out of the gate next season."? Is that the quote that Cal would make? Please...

He would do anything and everything he could to land top recruits. He is under a tremendous amount of pressure to live up to his contract and make a very immediate impact at UK. To think otherwise is naive, in my opinion.

And I think you meant "writing on the wall"...