Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Keegan

Reesing rising

No surprise: QB looks even better

Blue team quarterback Todd Reesing pulls back to throw during the first half of the 2009 Spring Game Saturday, April 11, 2009 at Memorial Stadium.

photo

Blue team quarterback Todd Reesing pitches to running back Jake Sharp during the first half of the 2009 Spring Game Saturday, April 11, 2009 at Memorial Stadium.

Strangely, when a great athlete becomes greater, we tend to ask ourselves, “How did he do that? How did he become even greater at what he does that makes him great? It didn’t seem possible, but he did it. How?”

When you think about it, we ought to react in opposite fashion. Of course they get better. They didn’t become great by letting complacency infect them. They became great by constantly challenging themselves to become more efficient, more precise.

Just when it seemed former Atlanta Braves ace Greg Maddux couldn’t locate his fastball any better, he walked 20 men (six intentionally) in 2322⁄3 innings in 1997.

Just as it looked as if Troy Aikman reached his peak, he completed 69.1 percent of his passes and was intercepted on just 1.5 percent of his passes.

Watching Todd Reesing shred the second-team defense in the spring game called to mind watching Maddux removing the need for the catcher to move his mitt and seeing Aikman with a star on the side of his helmet and 10 human ones staring at him in the huddle, hitting receivers in stride.

Yet, instead of expecting Reesing to look better than ever, I repeatedly was asking myself, “Is it just me, or is he even more accurate? How is that possible? It’s spooky.”

No, it’s what we all should expect from an athlete so competitive, so smart, so blessed with extraordinary mental and physical instincts for playing the most important position on the football field, an athlete who turned the talented Kerry Meier into a second-string quarterback and nationally prominent receiver. (Meier, by the way, in the past two seasons has completed 28 of 32 passes for 349 yards and four touchdowns without throwing an interception.)

Reesing completed 16 of 22 passes for 221 yards and a touchdown in the spring game, numbers that hint at but don’t fully capture how accurate he looked.

Obviously — is it just me, or does Reesing start every answer during interviews with that word? — completions and touchdown passes won’t come as easily against the five Big 12 heavyweights (Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Nebraska, Texas and Missouri) on the 2009 schedule, but all you can do in a spring game is look at all the signs, good and bad, and Reesing didn’t show any of the latter.

“I don’t know how he does it,” emerging junior-to-be Johnathan Wilson said. “He’s short, and he can see over the line. I can’t see him when I run my routes, but the ball is there, so I don’t mind. He throws a good, catchable ball. He makes it easy on the receivers. It’s pretty much in your chest area. You don’t have to go too low or go too high. Once you catch it, you have enough time to run with it.”

Reesing can’t always see the behemoths looking to slam him to the turf, but he nearly always feels them closing in while his eyes are scanning the field for an open receiver, extending a busted play so he eventually can fix it.

In building a 20-6 record in two seasons as a starter, Reesing has completed 64 percent of his passes, has thrown 65 touchdown passes and 20 interceptions and has averaged 284 passing yards per game.

To expect Reesing to improve those numbers in his final season would be both greedy and on target.

Comments

KU1979 10 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for the red meat, Tom. I was hungry.

CaramelMacchMan 10 years, 9 months ago

Its funny that we have a true star in our hand, and there are only 3 posts for him here and there are like more than 200 post about X. in the other article...

Ehhh we suck at supporting our football team... huh!

Appoggiatura 10 years, 9 months ago

Could care less about the hoops recruit fiasco. Let me know when somebody signs. Right now, all I care about is KU football. Thanks for the read Tom. Good stuff!

Steve Brown 10 years, 9 months ago

Wouldn't it be nice to be in 1st or tied for 1st by the time we hit Arrowhead this fall.....huddle up and let the games begin....enjoy every game and wave the wheat. Rock Chalk keep sawin' wood.

CaramelMacchMan 10 years, 9 months ago

Lighthawk

If that happens, That would mean Todd is running for Heisman! and leading the polls... Also that would mean almost all of our first string WRs are going to NFL.

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Here's all you need to know:

Reesing shaking off the hit and throwing a TD strike against Nebraska!

Jaminrawk 10 years, 9 months ago

NIce to see Todd is about where we all expect to see him. He is truly the best thing that has happened to the KU football team in decades. I can't wait to see this team shock the Big XII yet again.

Jonathan Briles 10 years, 9 months ago

Come on Maxhawk there is no need for negative stuff all the time. Keep it to yourself. I didnt know sparky was going to be even better. I thought he would be more mature but not in the way Keegan wrote it. Also I dont know if this was really written to give us information or just to give us something to feed off of and get us pumped up and excited for the team. I know that it did get me excited and I cant wait for the team to take the field. Rock Chalk.

Bryan Summers 10 years, 9 months ago

This article pumped me up about football, along with the link that sevenyearhawk posted. Thanks, I needed that...

markster956 10 years, 9 months ago

He could atleast make a reference to senator stuckey being a badass

Dee Shaw 10 years, 9 months ago

Todd Reesing = Stud. What a hard ass. I love this guy. This guy rocks. I would love to have this guy on my team any day. Todd Reesing is NAILS. Tough. He will go down as one of the if not the most popular football player in KU history. Can't wait for football season. Todd Reesing is the true meaning of a college athlete. It shows how he plays the game and how it shows in the classroom. Keep up the had work Tood. You make all KU fans proud.

prusso25 10 years, 9 months ago

We all know todd is a stud... but i hope this is more due to his skill and not our secondary being soft. We'll have to see either way we are one of the only teams returning our starting QB in the north so this is our chance. Prediction: KU vs CU playing for big 12 north crown

Spencer Goff 10 years, 9 months ago

Man, I just hope like hell the O-line can gel to give this guy even a little time. Also, what was the word on Briscoe? Did he screw up his collegiate career with behavior, is he going to be allowed to play?

I see this team being a breakout year. We have Oklahoma and Nebraska at home, we have a tough road game down to Lubbock and Austin. If they can win the north, I give them a shot to end up going back to a BCS game.

How badass would that be? Mangino using half the talent of OU and Texas and meshing them into a BCS game two out of three years. It really is only one upset out of the realm of possibilities. Make the conference title game (and we can do that, looking at the schedules) and upset likely either Texas or OU. Tough, but nothing is impossible.

I am stoked, just stoked. I keep talking college football with my old buddy from the service, he is a Penn State guy, and it is a strange world when our KU outlook is on par with theirs.

Larry Smith 10 years, 9 months ago

I was unaware that the banner ads on the side and at the top depended on your location. I am in Toronto today, so there are Hockey and Canadian banking ads. Interesting..

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

sevenyear,

Great links. However, "Reesing to Meier" simply cannot be topped:

How could any KU fan tire of seeing that? It still brings me goosebumps, and the mizzou chick covering her face at the end is perhaps the most classic piece of video ever. Rock Chalk.

Oh, and off the subject...

Tom Keegan, "...former Atlanta Braves ace Greg Maddux..."

Grrrr. I know he won a lot of games and some Cy Young's in Atlanta, but the guy will always be a Cub to me. I hope he goes into the Hall wearing Cubbie blue........

prairie_dog 10 years, 9 months ago

Keegan's right. Reesing was even MORE impressive in the spring game than usual. Yes, part of it was young corners who looked totally lost. Of course, Reesing's looking one way and throwing the other may have had someting to do with that. HE WAS TOYING WITH OUR 2 DEFENSE, LIKE A CAT WITH A CORNERED MOUSE, even without Briscoe.

One bone of contention, Mr. Keegan: Mizzery as a "heavyweight" this year? Cited alongside OU, TX, even the Corn pone?....... Pleeeeeease.....

rolo2383 10 years, 9 months ago

LA, I never get tired of seeing that. I need to get my hands on that game. Someone posted something about it on the message boards so I'll have to check that out.

Someone asked about Briscoe. I've heard he's been reinstated so no worries there. Hopefully.

Joe Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

We have much to be excited about as Jayhawks. Our b-ball team will dominate and our boys will rise to the moment. I'm just as excited about the gridiron as I am about the hardwood!

I see a another bowl game!

Kudos to Mangino and Co for the recruiting job and looking to the future.

Rock Chalk

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

LA,

"Imagine if Mangino hadn't lifted the red-shirt his freshman year, and we had 2 more years of this kid! He would be setting records left and right....."

This is true ... but think about how much he developed the rest of that season without quite as much pressure or the expectations, and it also allowed Meier to become the threat he is a receiver.

Warren 10 years, 9 months ago

Im just thankful for a Football article as the main article on the page. I am very, very excited about football season this year. Is it September yet?

CasperCorps 10 years, 9 months ago

Those highlights are awesome.. Bring on the season!!! Big Twelve title or bust.. Rockem Hawks..

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

sevenyear,

Yeah, any number of things could have been different under those circumstances (who knows, maybe meier would have been able to bloom with more time); it's kind of like discussing if Julian Wright had come back, would we still have won the title (the difference, of course, between the two being experience versus inexperience). There certainly is a butterfly effect involved in that proposition.

That statement, however, was more of me daydreaming about having Todd for another year rather than the logistics in the reality of it.

But your point is certainly taken.

Rock Chalk

Derek Conway 10 years, 9 months ago

KU football....yessssssssssssss. lets take the big 12 this year men

yovoy 10 years, 9 months ago

LAHawk, i thought you started to say what i was gonna say when i saw the headline, except i was going to say that we owe the present situation to ourMangino for pulling sparky's "shirt". if he hadn't pulled it when he did i don't think we'd've had the success we have. reesing is good, and his emergence is what has allowed mangino to recruit the talent he has to put around him.

nebraska is going to be tough; let's not kid ourselves. the south teams will be themselves, but pellini will put a good product on the field game in and game out. that's what he does. we'd better hope that we take the steps we should, or this could be a long season. our league is going to be tough, and the season is far from over (starting, actually).

as for wondering if it was the ineptitude of our "2" secondary, let's remember that sparky has made LOTS of teams 1st-teamers look pretty silly. if our second can get some reps against sparky, they'll be ready for nearly anything.

as i'm not the editor, it's not my job to say if keegan's article is lazy or not. i will say that he's done a great job of starting some interesting conversation, as well as enthusiasm for the upcoming football season, so for that: good job, mr. keegan!

see you all at the stadium. how many days? no one's started a countdown clock?

Phil Perry 10 years, 9 months ago

Is this a headline? A column? Or,is it an opinion piece? Thanks for throwin' in a little football but maybe you could do a little more than sit down at the keyboard and type. How about a few more quotes. The best part of the column is what a team mate has to say about the vertically challenged senior star quarterback. I don't want to be overly critical but come on, do the leg work, let us know what others have to say.

More Football less speculation about BB recruits.

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

LA,

I wasn't trying to bust your chops ...

another year would've been nice, but things did seem to fall just right.

Funny thing is, I remember RIGHT where I was sitting in Memorial Stadium when Reesing first ran onto the field - like it was yesterday!

I also remember thinking: Mangino, why are you burning this kid's redshirt?

Shows what we know, right?

troutsee 10 years, 9 months ago

As far as I am concerned, football is the best team sport out there. I love football....especially Reesing led KU football. It's going to be a great, great year. Keep the FB articles coming. We need to get the KU nation juiced on football.

easyfive 10 years, 9 months ago

How can you pick one favorite player any more? There all that good!

Tom, your doing 100% better, thank you.

Thanks for our fans too!!! We kick a$$ If it was not for this web site, we would not have a place to vent. Is this fun or what? ,One mind, one vision.

Eurekahwk 10 years, 9 months ago

"completions and touchdown passes won’t come as easily against the five Big 12 heavyweights (Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Nebraska, Texas and Missouri)"

Keegan, why would Reesing not be able to throw for, say, 357 yards against Oklahoma? And Nebraska comes to Lawrence, they're last two trips haven't been very fun for them. Mizzou loses most of its starters. If our line is good, Reesing stays healthy and we can move the ball against anyone.

Blake Post 10 years, 9 months ago

This is freakin' great. But Nebraska is not a heavyweight. It is light to medium. If I remember, MU and OU deeeeeeeeeestroyed them. We will see when the corn comes to our place this year. MU was fun to watch with some gifted players (for a bunch of pukey boys), but I have to wonder how heavy is their weight with the departure of Daniel and Maclin. Will they even make the hillbilly bowl? (MU-Arky Cotton Bowl '08 :D)
The juice is here already here trout, as it has been since the orange glow pervaded the senses... but yeah, talking about it before the end of summer? Seems the new century certainly has dawned

raoulduke 10 years, 9 months ago

Driving everyday by Lake Travis HS, on the way from Lakeway to Westlake (a stone's throw to downtown Austin) for work, has been a curious case of lack of respect for Reesing.

They surely appreciate him now, but employ the same hubris that populates KU hoops. UT's pigskin loss is KU's gain.