Monday, April 20, 2009

Maryland pursuing Stephenson

Maryland may still be a factor in the recruitment of Lance Stephenson.

Maryland coach Gary Williams had an in-home visit with Stephenson, a 6-6 senior guard from Brooklyn, N.Y., Lincoln High on Friday, according to Zagsblog.net.

Stephenson was believed to have co-finalists in Kansas University and St. John’s prior to that meeting.

“I think everything will probably come to a head by next weekend,” a source told Zagsblog. “Everything hinges probably on what Xavier Henry does.”

It’s believed if Henry, 6-6 from Oklahoma City’s Putnam City High, chooses KU, Stephenson will wind up at St. John’s, maybe Maryland. If Henry picks Kentucky, Stephenson figures to be KU-bound.

Carl Henry told Rivals.com that both KU’s Bill Self and Kentucky’s John Calipari were to meet with his sons Xavier and C.J. Henry after Saturday’s Jordan Brand Classic in New York.

Xavier had 11 points in that game. He hit a three-pointer to conclude the scoring off a pass from point guard John Wall, who also is considering KU, Kentucky and others.

Stephenson, by the way, wasn’t invited to play in Saturday’s Brand Classic in his hometown. He did attend and was swamped by autograph-seekers, however. ESPN reports that at halftime he posed for photos with rapper Fat Joe along the baseline as rapper Akon performed.

Future Kansas State player Wally Judge, a forward from Arlington Country Day in Jacksonville, Fla., had 18 points and seven rebounds in the contest.

Comments

TheTruth08 10 years, 9 months ago

Hopefully this will all be over soon. Xavier to UK. Lance to KU.

Ed Fox 10 years, 9 months ago

Seriously - either would be great additions to the team, I'll be happy either way if we get one of them. An additional benefit of getting X here would be keeping UK from adding another great player, but we'll be fine either way.

100 10 years, 9 months ago

It seems quite apparent X, due partially to the uncertainty of UK's team next year(and very thin bench), wants to be a Jayhawk.

The question is CJ.

My question is, since Cal put CJ in this uncomfortable situation to begin with (and it doesn't look like he'll be able to play next year), why should CJ torture himself more next year in Lexington.

If the NCAA is gonna make him sit out regardless, he may as well sit on the bench with the national champions in Lawrence (if he'd look at the national championship tape, he might notice Memphis actually lost that game on a dribble drive kick/ handoff from Sherron to Chalmers). It's not out of our arsenal by any means.

CJ, join your brother and make your dad (and us Jayhawks) PROUD!!!!

Win a ring with us!

Robert Brock 10 years, 9 months ago

Hopefully this will all be over soon. Xavier to UK. Lance to St. John's. Harrison Barnes to KU.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

Breaking news to continue.

Michael Pannacciulli 10 years, 9 months ago

Weird hearing the kstate has good recruits making waves in these all star type invitationals...anyone else notice that? Martin has the inside track to Florida. Odd he can convince players to go there from Miami and places like that. I expect kstate and mizzery to be real decent next year.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

Again, if X is adamant about playing with C.J., he's going to have to stick with Memphis. No way does the NCAA grant C.J. a waiver just because the brothers want to play with each other. The NCAA knows if it did, it would have to do so for many other lame reasons.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 9 months ago

i don't think there's any doubt that we are holding off Lance, and Lance is waiting on us, in regards to X and CJ.
that being said, and despite the above laments that X will wind up at UK, i still think he's coming here.

He wants to play here, and i think they're just giving Calipari, who they've already committed to once, a courtesy interest. and Rivals is also reporting that the visit this weekend to Lexington, may not occur.

Such is the thing we these high profiles guy....drama and more drama. but in the end, X is the better player, and better fit.

DoubleDD 10 years, 9 months ago

I wish Carl would just stay out of it. I believe he is wishing his boys to KU, problem is his boys seem to have other dreams. X has two choices: win a championship, or play with his brother. Logically this is a no brainer no reason to waist KU's time. Point being if winning a NC is top of the list for X then KU has to be the choice, unless he plans on staying 4 years in college which we all know he isn't. So all this talk about it being the most important decision in his life is crap. X wants to play with his brother he doesn't care about winning a NC. Now do we really want that kind of player on our team that could care less about winning a NC. X wants to hangout with his brother and show case his personal skills (this isn't team ball). Give me Lance he may have a big ego but least he is hungry.

(Give him a break Its the biggest decison in his life, "Give me a break" He's only playing one year, his biggest decision will be how big of a house he should buy) To you homers that have your lips clued to X's a--ss its time you came up for some air, even if he does sign with KU will he play "I mean can he play defense" just a thought.

rawkhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

My increasing feeling is that X comes to KU...Lance is in the wings if this doesn't happen, but, signs seem to be pointing to X continuing his family Jayhawk tradition. We may know this week. Rock Chalk!

Greg Lux 10 years, 9 months ago

With all this hype about Henry, Stephenson, and Wall ... I don't want to forget to mention we have a whole team of great returning players and two awesome recruits that want to play for KU. I want to give them all my support and encouragement I can because unlike the above 3, the current Jayhawks have demonstrated they want to be Jayhawks. I know we already have a National Championship caliber team sign sealed and delivered. I would rather have a 4 yr Sherron then all the H,S, & W guys out there. Sure I want KU to win a NC but I also want to enjoy KU basketball and the players that make it special.

Thank You Jayhawks for your commitment and the special type of basketball you bring to Lawrence, Kansas every year.

Rock Chalk

kranny 10 years, 9 months ago

Not sure why anyone would suggest that Carl Henry stay out of his sons' lives. The fact is that Xavier and his brother and their family have decided long ago that they would decide as a family. I find no problem with this. This is the biggest decision of these young men's lives at this point. X has to do what's right for him, and his family. The family has also decided that they will all relocate to wherever they decide to go to school so this isn't a decision that should be taken lightly. I think the problem for many posters on this board is that it's more personal for the poster-as if the poster has some personal stake in the decision that Henry makes. Cut these young men some slack, give them some time and get on with your own lives.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 9 months ago

XH has stated more than once that the family could and probably would re-locate wherever the boys play at. This is one issue of them being together.

One thing is certain. The current team desperately needs an athletic 3 man. This team will not win a NC without that missing piece.

LakeShawnee 10 years, 9 months ago

Brock,

lets take either Stephenson or Xavier this year and get Barnes next year too.

CRIMSONnBLUE 10 years, 9 months ago

It's understandable that we aren't going after Wall, but honestly I think he's a better player than X or Lance. He is unbelievably fast and he's got the best presence on the court that I've seen out of anyone in his class. He always knows where his teammates are, even when he's going 1000mph to the basket and making last second, behind-the-back, no-look passes. As long as Kansas is still on his list I'm hoping he becomes a Jayhawk. If he were to come and stay for his sophomore year I guarantee he would be a top 5 draft pick. He just needs to improve his shooting and he'd be untouchable! Lance obviously has maturity issues and X seems to be a little bit ahead of himself. I know there is a very very very slim chance of Wall wearing crimson and blue next year, especially seeing as the 2011 prospects are mostly top 25 guards but we can still hope.

Jim Jackson 10 years, 9 months ago

I am sick of this BS we should just let X go to UK or wherever he wants to go and pick up Lance. X already turned us down for Memphis, this really is a slap in the face to Lance and us. I wouldn't be surprised if he turned us down a second time. I want "Born ready" on our squad.

Andy Hess 10 years, 9 months ago

Barnes is likely headed to Duke anyway. lets get X or Lance this year.

5a5quatch 10 years, 9 months ago

OK, this is just message board material, and a rumor, but it does make some sense. According to the rumor, HCBS has offered both X and Lance a scholarship. The second one comes from Morningstar who agreed to do this, if necessary, when he signed. If true, hats off to him and his family.

So, the hold up is not HCBS. The rumor says it is Lance, who wants to be the only elite wing in this class. X apparently would sign either way, which shows real confidence and a winner's mentality. Again, if true.

Take what you want from this rumor, but it does agree with previous Morningstar info, and explains why Lance would hold things up, and explains that HCBS would not jeopardize Lance for the sake of X. He is offering both.

Gary McCullough 10 years, 9 months ago

Why doesn't Lance just commit to KU and take the decision out of X's hands?

JayJayPG 10 years, 9 months ago

I think Lance would be afraid that X would also commit to KU after him. I don't see that happening, but I think he wants to be absolutely sure that he won't be competing for minutes with X at their position. I think he is looking at Maryland/St. John's as 2nd choices right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he maybe looked at a few more schools the longer this drags on.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 9 months ago

Rivals right now is reporting that there will be no more visits...so the UK trip is out. I would think that would favor KU heavily.

C'mon X and CJ! KU is the place to be next year. What fun it could be for sure.

Theutus 10 years, 9 months ago

If Lance just wants to be the "Only guy to go to", he can go somewhere else. We got enough of the forced shot ballhog crap with Collins already.

I want a true team player, one that just wants to win, no matter what it takes... Not the "i want to win as long as it involves me in the spotlight" players.

kerbyd 10 years, 9 months ago

Someone explain this to me. What difference does it make if X comes to KU and CJ sits on the bench as a walkon or as a transfer who has to sit out a year? Either way he is able to practice with his bro, right?

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, but apparently X wants to play (and not just practice) with his bro. The only place that will happen (considering that X will only be around for one year) is at Memphis.

KUFan90 10 years, 9 months ago

sasquatch is dead on. We are not telling Lance to wait. Lance has chosen to wait. Both have offers. Lance can accept any time. He doesn't want to come here if X is. It's that simple. We haven't "back burnered" him...

mariofan11 10 years, 9 months ago

Hopefully Brock will quit posting soon.

Alex Berger 10 years, 9 months ago

Sorry, Barnes is in class of '10 and would not help us next year... I want Lance because of his desire to win, but if X brings us a 'ship, I'll take it.

DoubleDD 10 years, 9 months ago

kranny bravo you showed so much love and compassion for X and the family. Let me ask you a ?? are going to feel the same way if they choose UK unstead of KU. Are going to follow there lone college year if they play somewhere else, because you know this is the biggest decision of their young lives even though CJ has already made a million and X will be signing for many millions in the near future. Didn't think so. Oh, one more thing I might not have a stake in the X, but I do have a stake in KU. As far as my comment on Carl staying out of it, wasn't in the direction of leading his boys but his place in the media. Everytime he is quoted saying something his boys do something else. They're kinda making him look bad. Don't you think??? For the record I would love for CJ and X to play at KU. I just think they are jerking our chain. After all X has already told us no thanks once.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

What is the salary and pension of an AAU admin in OKC? I am guessing it will be less than what he would make in an administrator, or assistant coaches role, at UK. Heck, Dalonte is pulling down big change in Aggieville going from an AAU coach to KSU man. Wall's AAU coach was reputedly hired at Baylor, even if Wall didn't come. These AAU coaches have lots of recruiting contacts, not just the flavor of the moment.

Can Carl bring any AAU recruits with him down stream to a school that hires him? It seems a reasonable possibility. Carl would not be the first AAU coach to produce a recruiting stream, not just a flavor of the month (see Dalonte).

That Carl turned down the head of basketball operations at Memphis suggests to me that if he's worth that much to Memphis, he ought to be worth even more to UK, given their level of ambition at the present.

The formula still looks like this to me.

X = 40GoToMinutes + CJ + (Job4Carl)

UK seems more likely to fulfill this formula than KU.

cklarock 10 years, 9 months ago

Personally, I don't get the angst and handwringing from the Jayhawk Nation regarding these recruits. The kids are making a big decision, the biggest in their lives to date, and the fact remains that it is a much bigger deal for them and their families than it will be to us, National Championship or no.

If X and CJ decide that KU is the best choice for them, we'll welcome them as legacy ballers. If they don't, we'll wish them the best of luck, just like we would with any young man who chooses to build his future elsewhere.

The best recruiting news of the Spring has already happened -- Cole and Sherron are coming back. A Junior Aldrich and Senior Collins? Whoo, nasty.

The team that won the Big 12 and made the Sweet 16 is returning in its entirety, and we're adding two 5-star recruits in Johnson and Robinson, both of whom will most likely have at least 2 years at KU (and possibly all 4).

If we add X or Born Ready to that mix, great. If not, great. We're going to be really, really good next year regardless of where these guys decide they want to be. They should take their time and get all the information they need.

KU nerds on the internet with their panties in a wad about it will just have to find some other way to pass the time before they start counting the championships we haven't won yet.

DoubleDD 10 years, 9 months ago

cklarock, you must be a nerd with your panites in a bunch cuz here you are putting in you're two cents worth. Though I like would say about KU being good no matter what happens, however I disagree with you on this being the biggest decision of their lives. Think of X's lone college season as a Rose Bowl parade, here today gone tomorrow. I'm sure X is already scoping out the NBA. By the way most KU fans don't have a problem with X going somewhere esle to play. We are just tired of him jerking our chain.

scratchee_1 10 years, 9 months ago

I don't see how Self can be telling Lance we want you, but only if X doesn't come. How can we hold last spot for X with another bluechip on hold? Yes, I understand the history of the Henry family....blah, blah, blah. We have given him ample time to sign. He already chose Memphis, now we are giving him more time to mull over Kentucky? Its obvious the kid is not sold on KU or he would have committed already. Risky move.

Now if I am Lance and if indeed we are holding him off to see what X is going to do, I would tell KU to jump in the river. If I am Lance, I am not feeling the love. I would go elsewhere.

Seems to me like a very risky play waiting on X when it could be very possible that we don't land X or Lance or Wall. Logic tells me to just get Lance. He is tough. Fits the Self mold and will be around for a couple years.

Bottom line is I trust Coach Self. He has made all the right moves to date. He must have an extremely good relationship with X and Lance to be able to hold one off for the other....if in fact that is true. I think X is better player, better fit. We need the slasher/shooter guard. For a one and done, I would take it. With everyone coming back next year a championship is an absolute possibility. So to me that makes X worth the wait and risk.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

jayhawk news service: bulletin

Gary Williams, the Terps perpetually dishevelled head basketball coach, wants Lance Stephenson so bad that he had his suit pressed before Stephenson's visit to Maryland. This is reputed the first cleaning and pressing of a Gary Williams suit in his tenure at Maryland.