Monday, April 20, 2009

Kansas signee dazzles

Prep Robinson returns to old haunt, has solid showcase

Thomas Robinson, who grew up in Washington, D.C., but elected to play his final year of high school basketball in New Hampshire, concluded his prep career back in his hometown Saturday night.

“It was fun. My family finally got to see me play. There were probably 20 to 30 (friends and family) there,” said Robinson, a future Kansas University power forward.

The 6-foot-8, 220-pounder scored 14 points, grabbed 11 rebounds, dished four assists and blocked two shots in Team Finish’s 134-131 victory over Team Create in the Reebok All-American Game at American University’s Bender Arena.

“I thought I had an all-around game,” said Robinson, who played his junior year at Riverdale Baptist in Upper Marlboro, Md., then moved on to Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., this past school year.

“I knew most of my teammates. I connected with them. It was easy for me to pass and have them finish. The other team’s bigs weren’t as athletic.”

Reebok’s Chris Rivers was impressed with Robinson’s effort, noting he was third in MVP voting.

“He scored on power plays around the basket, mid-range jumpers and putbacks. He looked fantastic,” Rivers stated via e-mail.

Future KU guard Elijah Johnson scored two points while also playing for the winning team.

“He was not feeling well, so he was not on the floor,” Rivers said, noting Johnson sat out the entire second half.

“He (Johnson) said he was kind of dizzy before the game,” Robinson said. “He tried to play. Running up and down, he couldn’t focus. He just was not feeling well. He was disappointed he couldn’t play.”

Robinson roomed with his future KU teammate during days leading up to the Reebok game.

“He’s a cool guy, down to earth, competitive. He also wants to win,” Robinson said of Johnson.

Future Kansas State player Rodney McGruder, a 6-4 guard from Arlington Country Day High in Jacksonville, Fla., who like Robinson grew up in the D.C. area, scored 24 points with seven rebounds and was named co-MVP with future Pittsburgh player Dante Taylor, who had 26 points and nine boards.

“We joked about our freshman year,” Robinson said of him and McGruder. “We’re very competitive. Neither of us wants to lose next year.”

Comments

100 10 years, 9 months ago

Great job, Thomas.

We look forward to seeing you grab your first championship ring next year.

Hopefully with X & CJ...

RckChalkJeff 10 years, 9 months ago

Brak 10 years, 9 months ago

Eventhough I'm sure the kid had a good game, but didn't anybody notice that the final score was 134-131. Either there was absolutely no defense or the game was alot longer than a normal game. Still though from what I have seen of his play before he should come in next year and make an immediate impact.

joeloveshawks 10 years, 9 months ago

I am actually more excited about Thomas Robinson than I am about any of our possible recruits (Henry, Stephenson, et cetera). He may not have the incredible NBA ready talent that those guys have, but he is a stud in the paint and he will be an amazing compliment to Cole in the post. We honestly don't lose to teams like MSU if we have another beast in the post with Cole. I can't wait to see him and Elijah in Crimson and Blue. We are going to be so deep!

LPH_hawkfan 10 years, 9 months ago

Great job Mr. Robinson! Cant wait to see you in AFH this fall.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Recruits like Thomas are nice because you know that while he is at KU, if his shots aren't falling, he will contribute in one way or another because he has an all-around game. He is a tailor-made Self player.

jayhawkintexas 10 years, 9 months ago

At 220 pounds, he is going to need to bulk up to be a beast in the paint. He will need to be in the 250 pound range to take the pounding and compete with the larger guys like Dexter pIttman of Texas and Tiny Gallon of Oklahoma--both of them are in the 300 pound range. He sounds like a great recruit, though.

Joe Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

KU's best kept secret...I can't wait to introduce him to the B12 and the rest of college b-ball. I love it!!

Rock Chalk TR

Steve Gantz 10 years, 9 months ago

Great, another story about how some kid scores a bunch of points in a game where everyone scores a bunch of points. Every kid we've ever had scored lots of points in high school. Let's get excited when we can see what they do on the court in a real college game.

LPH_hawkfan 10 years, 9 months ago

Dont be such a "Debbie-Downer" wissoxfan.....lol.

blowhard 10 years, 9 months ago

Thomas, you could log significant minutes this upcoming season. Enjoy the ride, my man, you'll love going to school at KU and being a Hawk. The decibel level at Allen Field House will really get you goin'!!!

Enjoy and welcome to KU!!!

Steve Gantz 10 years, 9 months ago

LPH-hawkfan what is a Debbie-Downer? I don't know if I'm supposed to be insulted, proud, what? I'm just tired of all these breathless articles. They sound like they're written by Junior Hi girls about the Jonas Bro's.

in_the_phog 10 years, 9 months ago

Just wait until you see the athleticism of Elijah Johnson. If anyone wants a show, youtube his between-the-legs-360 dunk. Pretty impressive for a 6-2 PG.

It ought to be a sure Final Four run for the hawks. Sit back and enjoy, it will be a special year regardless of whether we get any of these other big recruits. If anything we should forget about Xavier and Lance of because this team doesn't need any prima donnas or distractions.

tstanlick1909 10 years, 9 months ago

To T-Rob,

You said you enjoyed playing in front of 20-30 friends and family members

You and Elijah are about to have about 50,000 more family members soon, the Jayhawk faithful

And we will love to watch you play for the next three to four years

Lance Hobson 10 years, 9 months ago

Wiss, look up Debbie Downer on You Tube. Oh, and yes you are one.