Sunday, April 19, 2009

KU signee scores 14

— Kansas University basketball signee Thomas Robinson scored 14 points in helping Team Finish defeat Team Create, 134-131, in the Reebok All-American game on Saturday night at American University’s Bender Arena.

Robinson, a 6-foot-8, 220-pound forward who hails from D.C., but played his senior year of high school ball at Brewster Academy in New Hampshire, was a teammate of future KU guard Elijah Johnson and future Kansas State guard Rodney McGruder.

McGruder, 6-4 from Arlington Country Day High in Jacksonville, Fla., had 24 points and seven rebounds and was co-MVP with Pittsburgh recruit Dante Taylor, who had 26 points and nine boards. Johnson’s stats were not available Saturday night.

McGruder told the Washington Post that he and Robinson discussed the opportunity to play one final game in D.C., where McGruder also grew up.

“We finally got to play in front of the people who wanted to see us play and didn't want us to leave,” McGruder told the Washington Post. “I also told Thomas, ‘We play you next year so you can’t be doing all that against us.’ You know, Kansas is our rival.”

Comments

TheTruth08 10 years, 9 months ago

If they are as good as advertised, I can definitely see Thomas Robinson and Elijah Johnson having an opportunity to start next season---especially Robinson. He's the rebounding force KU was missing last season. He might have a chance to start, but I would rather see Elijah coming off the bench, giving us a spark next season. I'm also interested in seeing what a healthy Mario Little will look like next season. If he has some explosive, to go along with his post moves and mid-range game, he'll be hell on wheels and a nightmare to defend. For a 6-5 player, he has some killer moves in the post.

nobodylikesmizzou 10 years, 9 months ago

Perhaps I'm being picky, but when in discussing what Robinson will bring next year, the focus is almost solely in his rebounding ability, doesn't it seem like his rebound stats for the game would be relevant? Or did he just not get that many? Or should I just go to sleep haha...Anyway, glad he and Elijah are doing well...can't wait to see them in a Kansas uniform next year

iluvdbskxjayhawks 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm excited for KU basketball next season. They are going to do very well! I hope we win another ncaa championship game. I'll be rooting for them. Robinson and Johnson are showing a lot of promise. They will surely help the team out a lot. We have good recruits already so I don't care if either Lance or Xavier is coming or not. I think we'll be fine without them. We have enough people as it is already. All this drama over Lance and Xavier is turning me off. We all know X wants to play for Cal.

63Jayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

nobody..., This article was posted by midnight and probably written earlier. All of the stats were probably not available when written.

yates33333 10 years, 9 months ago

Regarding starters, Tyshawn Taylor wasn't exactly chopped liver this past season and will have a year's experience at 1-A basketball under his belt.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

TheTruth08...you mean a rebounding force OTHER than Cole.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

I'd say you're a rebounding force if you average double-figures (Cole averaged 11.1 rebounds). That's not to say he didn't disappear in some crucial games (e.g., only 3 versus Texas Tech and 4 versus Arizona). But down the stretch, Cole was pretty impressive. If TheTruth08 meant a "consistent" rebounding force, then I would have to agree that TRob appears to be that.

Mark Walters 10 years, 9 months ago

T-Rob and Elijah look great in their games. We just need some improvement in the off season from the ones that we already have to put us over the top. Tyshawn looked awesome at times and needs to be more consistent. Collins should improve his turnover ratio without so much pressure on him to carry the team. Hopefully, Little's surgury/injury can heal and he can play the 3 spot instead of down low and we can get a much needed scorer. Of course, the MARSHMALLOW TWINS(are you sure we can't make trades in college?...lol)......if one of them can get the "deer in the headlights" look off his face and actually play the game instead of watch it and give us close to double figures in points, we should be excellent. Just one of the above players could "break out" and gives us a third and the recruits give us a forth scorer..... Just a little improvment to each player and we should have a great season, after the really good season we just had.

Rock Chalk

T_Hawker 10 years, 9 months ago

You'd think that if you can get today's gas prices at any gas station in just about anycity in the US, you could get up to date stats from an all-star game. What is HCBS's strategy after the Henry's do their UK visit? Did Orton sign at UK?

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

Did anyone else catch the comment from X prior to the game last night that the visit to UK is not set in stone???

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

Yes, T_Hawker, I saw where Orton signed his LOI on the first day of this signing period.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 9 months ago

X say in the first link .. assuming it's accurate, that if CJ can't get the waiver, then he may play with him at Memphis. First I've heard that. He's not sure about a Kentucky visit. It's all about those two playing together. Sign Stephenson.

Max Ledom 10 years, 9 months ago

The only freshman that will have a chance to start (if we get him) is Lance Stephenson or Xavier Henry. But even they will be battling for the job with Mario Little. One or no freshmen start next year. Period

KUSmurf 10 years, 9 months ago

Wow, K-State is going to be very good next year.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 9 months ago

Hawksboy88: Wall is better than Henry or Stephenson, and would likely start if we got him. But I think you mean neither Johnson nor Robinson will start, and I think you're right. By Tyshawn will be pressed by Johnson. And the McMorrises will be challenged by Robinson. Should make everyone better.

Ryan Sullivan 10 years, 9 months ago

Kansas State is gonna be pretty good next year. This McGruder kid sounds pretty good. I saw Wally Judge in the Jordan game last night too. He's solid. Its about time KState put a decent team together. I miss the days when the KU-KSU game was actually good game.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

The more I hear about how much X's decision hinges on playing with C.J., the more I want to scream, "Move on with your lives, boys!!!" I mean I understand that it would be cool to play with your beloved bro, but, come on, sometimes you can't get EVERYTHING you want.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

I guess what I'm trying to say is that X and C.J. can't expect to hold each other's hand forever through life.

kennethst 10 years, 9 months ago

I have very high hopes for next season.....the National Championship? Maybe.

I don't think they need that pressure.....but like it or not....that's the expectation.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 9 months ago

jayhawkinatl says "sometimes you can't get everything you want."

But if you're one of the best players in the nation, can play just about any place you want, have been told that you are already an NBA player so you only have one more year to control being able to play with your brother, ... Gosh, sounds like X is getting smarter and smarter all the time.

Some people are just annoyed that he isn't fitting into the mold of decision making/timing. So sad.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 9 months ago

I think Coach Self is really excited about Robinson joining the team. He is the (second) rebounding force Coach was (unsuccessfully) asking others to be last season. Hopefully, it translates into some lesons learned for Markieff as well.

Yes, Marcus isn't mentioned there because Robinson's presence allows him and Mario to both move outside to their natural 3 position.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

If X and C.J. are joined at-the-hip as much as it appears, X will end up at Memphis. There is no way the NCAA is going to buy "waaaaaah...I just want to play with my brother!!!" and let C.J. transfer w/o penalty. If they do, they would have to do it for every lame excuse.

Michael Auchard 10 years, 9 months ago

Hats off to the LJW for continuing to feed my BBall fix. Please, even after the recruiting soap opera is over, continue to write articles about the team. I don't care if it's an article about Tyshawn Taylor going to Dillons to buy some bread.

rockchalk007 10 years, 9 months ago

Neither EJ nor Thomas will start next year but both will contribute early and often.

KU will have very good guards next year with Sherron and Tyshawn backed up by EJ and Tyrell (and sometimes Brady). KU will have a strong inside game with Cole and Marcus - yes, he will play at the next level and will be much improved next year and surprize KU fans as he gains consistency - backed up by Jeff and Markieff and Thomas.

So, I hate to repeat myself but here is the issue for this KU BB junkie:

Who plays the 3? Answer: New Guy (X or Lance) backed up by Brady (sometimes) and Mario. Travis to red shirt or transfer. He has a huge ceiling but he is really lost on the court and is pure energy in a team-oriented system. His denfense would have to improve dramatically to get more minutes on next year's squad who will be a better team than this year's team, barring injury.

Lastly, in my opnion the New Guy at 3 will not start or be super impressive immediately - Brady and Mario will carry the early load at the wing. But after a few months of Coach's special tutoring - with minutes played as the reward - come March, X or Lance will be the key to another ring.

X has a problem (his brother who needs minutes too) and Lance has a problem (his team attitude needs to surpass his personal ego) but our coaching staff will handle this brilllantly, as always, and KU will win the Big 12 and make it to the Final Four. Get your tickets early...

Go Hawks!

Scott Smetana 10 years, 9 months ago

Yahweh... hahaahaa... me too.

I heard that the Morris twins went to Dillon's with Tyshawn last night. They then talked about how they're going to surprise everyone next year how much they've improved.

Sign Lance, Win the Big 12 regular again, pound Mizzery twice, make it to the final 4. That's all I ask.

Robert Brock 10 years, 9 months ago

For everyone that believes Mario Little or Marcus Morris are the no-brainer answers for the 3 position next year, I'd like to see the evidence. Little and Morris may be able hit a few jumpers on the wing or post up smaller guys down on the block, but have they shown any signs they can handle the ball or defend any guards or small forwards? I just don't see it.

It's possible these guys could get spot minutes at the 3 if certain situations present themselves, but there is no chance they will see significant minutes on the wing next year. The same thing was said of Julian Wright -- Jayhawk message boards were flooded with claims that he would slot in at the 3 before he took the court at KU -- this never happened and wouldn't have happened if he'd stayed another year; he even had more guard/small forward skills than Little or Morris, but was still a tweener.

Brady will play the majority of the minutes at the 3 unless X or Lance signs, Elijah is ahead of the curve as a Frosh, or Releford shows startling development this offseason.

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 9 months ago

A consistent rebounding force in high school. High School. Lets see what happens in division one.

prusso25 10 years, 9 months ago

haha reading these comments makes me realize ALL of these options are good. How many times do teams have the problem of too much talent all around? With this squad we will be able to go 9-10 deep and not lose anything, as long as we have Sheron at the point and Cole at the anchor we will be awesome.

mjlindsm 10 years, 9 months ago

If we get Xavier or Lance, I think Tyshawn Taylor would lose his starting spot, not Brady. Self is defense-first. Brady is a much better defender than Taylor, and a better decision maker. Plus, Taylor's best contribution is breaking down the defense and taking it to the hole. With Collins and X or Lance in there and doing that, we need a shooter, not a driver. This is especially true if we get Stephenson, since Xavier is a much better 3-point shooter than Lance.

BrockIII - couldn't agree more about Morris. People envision these huge lineups. UConn does that, sometimes 'Cuse, but Self doesn't play like that. He needs three ball-handlers who can move their feet and guard guards. Morris will never play the 3. Mario, on the other hand, might.

Dale Kroening 10 years, 9 months ago

I'll be surprised if T-Rob doesnt win the 4 position. He will bring another physical presence along with Cole that Im sorry to say neither twin has showed. I dont see Johnson starting ahead of Sherron, or Tyshawn, but he will play.

Chris Weaver 10 years, 9 months ago

i think it's cute how a k-state recruit said that KU was their rival - - - sorry mcgruber - we usually have to concentrate on tournament teams

DoubleDD 10 years, 9 months ago

Thanks posters for this thread! All this talk of X and CJ was just making me sick. KU has always been about team ball, and ooooooohhhhhhhhhh boy do we have a team for next year. To watch this "team" grow this year with all the newbies was just unbelievable. Can you imagine how good this team is going to be with the addtion of Thomas, Elijah, and Witney??? I can't wait, actually I can KU Football is just around the corner!!!! Rock Chalk Baby!!!!

Sam Burns 10 years, 9 months ago

Have you guys seen this re-cap of the game? http://slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2009/04/reebok-all-american-game-recap/ It doesn't mention elijah johnson, but it says some good stuff about robinson.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

ralster,

Stop making sense, as David Byrne used to say.

EJ and Reed will be redshirted, of course.

Just kidding. You are absolutely right. Just not sure that some of the "gottahaveXs" can cope with much reality right now.

My thinking remains: X goes where Carl gets a job. If Carl gets a job, then CJ can spend 4 years playing where ever and Carl can look after CJ.