Friday, April 17, 2009

KU signee dazzles at Derby Classic

Elijah Johnson found out last weekend that folks of all ages in Kentucky are serious about their basketball.

“We went to a kids hospital to do some charity work,” Johnson, Kansas University’s 6-foot-2 basketball signee from Las Vegas’ Cheyenne High, said in beginning to spin his favorite tale from the Derby Classic in Louisville, Ky.

“I told one of the kids I was going to Kansas. The kid hid from me under his pillow. He didn’t want to shake my hand. He was crying,” Johnson added with a laugh.

Johnson, who chose KU over Oklahoma, Texas and others, playfully drew the wrath of the fans in Louisville’s Freedom Hall when he waved a KU shirt during pregame introductions. He also wore a KU T-shirt during warmups.

“The crowd was crazy. It wasn’t boring,” Johnson said.

Johnson, who scored 11 points and had eight assists in the Black Team’s 151-145 loss to the Gold, had the fans on his side at the end of last Saturday’s game.

He raced in for a breakaway dunk — one in which he passed the ball through his legs before jamming it home — to conclude the action. Tape of the dunk is available at the Web address www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpgtx0YsxJA&NR;=1.

“It wasn’t a big thing for me. I’ve done it enough times,” Johnson said.

“One a scale of 1-10 I’d give it a 5.5 or 6. I was too tired. I could barely stand up,” Johnson added, noting he’s just now getting back into tip-top shape after resting the knee he injured during his senior season at Cheyenne High.

He’s 100 percent healed heading into Saturday night’s Reebok All-American Game at American University in Washington, D.C. He’ll be on the same team as fellow KU signee Thomas Robinson.

“I didn’t know we were on the same team. It’ll be fun, a little preview of next year,” Johnson said.

He’s hoping to slam a time or two Saturday.

“I’ve got a good vocabulary of dunks,” Johnson said.

Henry update: Johnson said he hasn’t spoken with blue-chip recruit Xavier Henry of late.

“I’m trying to stay out of his ear. It’s what everybody wants to talk to him about. I’m trying to not bother him,” Johnson said of his buddy, a 6-6 guard from Oklahoma City who is considering KU and Kentucky after being released from his Memphis letter of intent.

Henry told ESPN.com on Thursday at a Jordan Brand Classic practice session he will “decide within a week” between the two schools. He said he would not consider attending Memphis, but hours later told Zagsblog.net Memphis still was on his list.

Of KU, Henry said: “When my dad received a DVD of their 2008 national championship season, I watched it 50 times. It gave me chills.”

Of Kentucky, he said: “Cal (coach John Calipari) has a feel for building a program. He makes you already feel a part of the program and wants you to succeed. He’ll tell you honestly if you are ready for the NBA.”

Orton to stay put?: It looks as if Daniel Orton will remain a Kentucky Wildcat.

Orton, a 6-foot-10, 260-pound senior center from Oklahoma City’s McGuinness High who signed with the Wildcats when Billy Gillispie was coach, told Zagsblog.net on Thursday that he will attend UK and play for Calipari. He had considered asking out of his letter and attending KU.

Comments

Eric J. Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

What is it that Kentucky fans have against Kansas anyway? UK's actually one of the few powerhouse basketball programs I don't find myself angry at all the time. Don't they know their hero, Adolph Rupp, is from Kansas, played for KU, and helped us win two Helms titles?

hometownhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

You haven't been angry at them because they've been irrelevant the past decade. You will be angry at them plenty often with Calipari there.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 9 months ago

XH only talks about getting to the NBA. He thinks Calapari is the only answer.

The kid needs to remember he WILL attend college. He WILL have to work his butt off. However, it appears he feels entitled to any and everything. That is the world the Calapari's live in and teach these kids. It hasnt' work at Memphis and with Calapari's attitude of "dribble drive" offense he'll end up losing every time in the scheme of things which count. We know it. Missouri knows it. Hoewver, XH doesn't seem to get it even after watching the 2008 NC game FIFTY times. The Henry's recruiting drama is way, way, way over the top.

Ben Kane 10 years, 9 months ago

mouseclicker,

living in ky i can honestly tell you that only the most educated UK fans (which is not many) have any clue about Rupp's KU history. I'm going to have a hard time dealing with these nuts if UK becomes relevant again. They are passionate though, I will give 'em that.

Tribehawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Elijah is the Anti-X. I'm loving his attitude. (I still would love to get X, but Elijah's desire and passion to actually be a Jayhawk is SO refreshing). He will be a stud. He will be a fan-fave at AFH. Can't wait for next season.

keith horinek 10 years, 9 months ago

It's looking more and more like Lance may be the only one left to go after. I'm sure that X is strongly considering UK. If he wanted to go to KU he would have committed by now. Lance may be the best for KU in the long haul anyway.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

oljhwk...the only problem I see now is that we've played Lance like he's the red headed step child for too long. He may very well tell us to take a hike...which I totally would understand.

ohjayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

mouseclicker - don't dare bring up the Helms titles to UK fans. They will go ballistic. They don't count them as real titles (which they really aren't because they were awarded subjectively years after the fact). However, UK fans act like Helms titles are the work of the devil himself.

Alex Staley 10 years, 9 months ago

jayhawkinatl, i have that very same fear. Self knows what he is doing though. He wouldnt lose both Stephenson and Henry... would he? That would really suck. Either way this whole X recruiting story has kind of screwed Lance.

TwistedFish31 10 years, 9 months ago

So...the Helms titles were simply "awarded subjectively" to a school without a true basketball Championship tournament, right? Kind of like the BCS Championship in football, right? I wonder if the uk hillbillies would think the same if they were to be "handed" the football Championship?

Anyway, I'd be thrilled if Coach Self went hard after Lance. The report on that kid is that he's ultra aggressive and I think the Hawks could use a kid like that. It sounds like he's waiting to see what X does and I would love to take that out of X and CJ hands and put it to a kid that really wants to join a team headed to another Final Four!

ohjayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

fish - I think the issue is that the Helms titles were awarded years later by people who didn't even see the teams they were voting on. It wasn't like the BCS where they are subjectively the same year the games were played. I guess I am proud that KU won 2 Helms titles, but I don't put them on the same level as the 3 NCAA titles that have been won.

Also, on another topic, how is Henry going to decide "within a week" of yesterday where he is going when he isn't scheduled to visit UK until next weekend?

jayhawkinnc 10 years, 9 months ago

We need to kick X to the curb. He's been given chance after chance to come to KU and he keeps putting us on hold. If he's all about himself off the court, can you imagine how selfish he'd be on the court. From the way he keeps acting, I don't see him being a very good team player at KU. That's not the kind of player we want. Lance seems hungry to want to play for a NC. As mentioned above, he's aggressive and hungry. Forget about X.....let's land Lance!!!!! I trust Self knows what he's doing with this whole thing, but I just hope he doesn't whiff on both of these guys and we get neither of them.

ohjayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Sorry, the second sentence in my last post should have read "It wasn't like the BCS where they are subjectively awarded the same year the games were played."

rawkhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

We do need to trust Self. I plan on rooting for anyone in a KU uniform next year whether it be Xavier or Lance or whoever. We need to let these kids decide and trust the coach.

That was a sweet dunk, Elijah! Look forward to next year!

Robert Lofthouse 10 years, 9 months ago

Just maybe, he's thinking he has a good hand and doesn't need to take another card.

If HCBS has made his case with them all (X-factor, Lance, Wall, etc.), and is content to run the floor with the team he has already assembled, doesn't that show his confidence in HIS team?

There are so many combinations projected and they already have a deep bench, that the current team chemistry will be challenging at best with the veterans, the bench, the transfer and new freshmen.

Does he really need another star on a team expected to head for the Final Four?

The 09-10 edition of Jayhawk Basketball is in an excellent position with the current players, yes/no? Maybe another 37 win season and 2 or 3 championships?

Let the SEC have at Calipucky and all his prima-donnas.

Tim Orel 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm thinking it's not X who makes the decision anyway - it appears to be CJ, and he was the one who appears to have the love for Calipari. X appears to just want to go wherever his brother goes, and CJ is going to have to sit a year (unless he wins his appeal, which I doubt), so X is only going to be able to scrimmage with his brother, not play meaningful games.

I'll go with the team we have, and if we get another, it might be that much greater. I think I'm going to enjoy following Elijah no matter what happens. Welcome to the KU family, Elijah, and your next teammate Thomas. Do they put those Reebok kind of games on anywhere, even if it's just a webcast?

cre017 10 years, 9 months ago

UK never got over the ass beating they took when they tried to press Roy years ago...it's just like St. Louis fans that hate on KC because they feel like they got a bad call at first....people just don't get over some petty things in life.

Gary McCullough 10 years, 9 months ago

Do we even need to fill the last scholarship? Why not leave it vacant for a year and see what develops next year? Sherron, Q and Cole (most likely) will be leaving Lawrence. Four scholarships would be open even if everyone else were to return.

Greg Lux 10 years, 9 months ago

and the song plays on ... same tune..

Ben Kane 10 years, 9 months ago

I think HCBS would like to have one more player but his comment about landing the two best recruits in Sherron and Cole lead me to think he believes he isn't going to get any. Every day X doesn't commit has to make it more likely that he is going to UK. Lance is probably a bit upset about how he was treated in all of this or he probably would have commited already. The bright side is that if no one else comes than we will have that much more to play with for the next year. I believe this team as is will still be the best in the country next year because I know HCBS will have them playing at their best.

jayhawkinnc 10 years, 9 months ago

Just curious.....why do so many posters on here refer to Bill Self as HCBS? Why not just Bill....or just Self. It just seems a bit odd to me. Nobody ever referred to Roy Williams as HCRW.....just Roy. Same with Larry Brown. I know.....we have more important things to worry about than this. I was just curious.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 9 months ago

Why does everyone keep saying that we have put Lance off? It appears to me that he is creating the delay himself because he doesn't want to go ahead and sign, and then find out that X is coming, too. He doesn't want to share. If he was mad at us he'd have signed with St. John by now.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 9 months ago

oldalum: Good stuff! I also agree that Lance probably doesn't want to play with X although I could see somehow Self could spin and it make it a great success for everyone. LOL!

Also, I saw some information up above about the Helms titles and I get excited when this topic of conversation comes up. People discredit the Helms titles. Why I ask you? Yes, It is a fact that in 1936 right before the NCAA was established in 1938 that the governing body decided to go back and award National Championships. What is so wrong with that? Just think if they didn't create that foundation or organization? Maybe the NCAA wouldn't have had any grounds to establish their organization or have a base to set their parameters. Yes, it was a long time ago, and people may not agree with the system that was put into place back in 1936, but people didn't really agree with the Government and the Great Depression back in the day either. They at least have to acknowledge it.

As one poster stated above there is nothing wrong with comparing the Helms titles to the BCS system in college football. Because we have a current system called the "BCS" and it is a known fact it is also a subjective way the NCAA crowns a Champion, what happens to all those NCAA Champions "Pre" 1998? If we want to talk about the BCS being bias and subjective what about all the NCAA Champions that lead up to 1997 before the BCS was established? I mean, there were some years where two teams were awarded the National Championship and called Co-Champions. Huh? You have to explain that one for me. The reality is that is the way the system worked at that time and we have to acknowledge it. I don't agree with it, but I have to respect the system and particular time in the history of the sport. What happens when college football finally goes to a playoff? Do we forget about the Pre-BCS and BCS generations of college football? No, we acknowledge it and understand the history of the sport and then when say "Thank You" for finally getting it right. LOL!

Yeah, I also don't like the idea of the Helms titles, but that is the way the system worked and I have to acknowledge it as big part that creates the history of the sport. Kind of like we will never forget the ABA, USFL, AFL, so and so forth. Just my two cents. I like this topic though.

keith horinek 10 years, 9 months ago

I agree, oldalum, I think Lance is our best shot. However, if we don't sign anybody this spring, KU will still be a very good team, with good team chemistry. With Quintrell and Tyrone leaving and two new freshman coming in that may actually contribute more than the two leaving, the team stays basicly intact for another run.

ohjayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

kushaw - I'm not discrediting the Helms titles. I'm very proud that they have been awarded to KU. What I am saying is, in that day and age, all they could go by was records of games in order to award the titles. The people who awarded the Helms titles probably didn't see any of the games of the teams they were voting on. People are all the time up in arms about coaches today voting for college football teams when they know they don't have time to watch many games besides theirs. In this case, there weren't even videotapes or reruns of games to watch. I guess I'm a bit leary of putting as much weight on Helms titles that were voted on by a panel founded in 1936 for teams that played up to 35 years prior to their founding. I respect the Helms championships for what they are, but I still don't give them the same weight as the titles that KU won on the floor.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

I think we are stringing Lance along. Otherwise, he would just take the remaining scholarship knowing the chances of X coming (with none available) are pretty slim to none.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 9 months ago

coloradojayhawk says... I'm thinking it's not X who makes the decision anyway - it appears to be CJ

It is definitely CJ's decision. NBA scouts have already told X that he is ready for the league, so he will be a lottery pick in the '10 draft unless he inexplicably tanks in his first NCAA season or he is injured badly. Both are real unlikely, and not what an elite athlete plans his life around.

X has commented that he is choosing his family, which means he will go wherever CJ decides to play. It seems rather funny that some people on here think he should have decided already - without visiting UK. He had one chance to sign with KU previously, and chose CJ. He has another chance now, but will choose CJ again.

If you can dig up the video interview of X after his visit to Memphis, which I believe was before his official visit to KU, his comments seem to indicate (IMO) that he knows Coach Self will make him a better all round BB player. I think he knows he will learn to play D at a level that other coaches don't teach. He also knows that won't affect his draft status significantly, so he will choose CJ. Personnally, while I don't agree with all of his reasoning, I certainly an respect him for his family values.

Rock Chalk

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

Wow – lots of Debbie Downers out there. Recruits who haven’t signed by now are really torn as to what the “right” decision is. I really don’t understand the animosity some of you have toward these guys. They have worked their butts’ off to get at this level and are well aware that one minor error could really screw things up. Look at Tyrone Appleton – it probably wasn’t in his best interest to come to KU since he believes that he has a pro career out there somewhere. Now, he’s scrambling to find a school where he can showcase his skills in just one year. Granted, there is likely a world of pro-potential difference between Lance/Xavier and Tyrone. But, why pick a school that may somehow not be the best for you? I know some will think I’m naïve, but I think both X and CJ will come to KU and Lance will go to St. Johns. KU keeps it in the family and Bill sends a blue chip to his ole buddy Norm.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 9 months ago

All that being said about X, etc., you really gotta love EJ's enthusiasm, especially in UK territory. The thought of him teaming up with TT and Sherron is amazing. Also, with Mr Robinson and Withey coming in alongside Cole & Markieff, it should allow for Marcus and Mario to be used at the 3. I think the speed out there will be a rude awakening for Marcus "I'm still learning not to coast" Morris, but that duo will create matchup problems of their own against most teams. And that is without even adding Travis and Brady into the mix, tho it would be nice to see Brady being a steadying influence at the in the backcourt.

100 10 years, 9 months ago

KU fans --

Check out zagsblog sometime. There's actually a couple intelligent posts on there that make sense. If you are a poser, go somewhere else.

We need to have a little more class towards these kids difficult decisions.

All signs that I've read in the last week tell me X is having a hard time separating his friendship from Cousins (who is an anti Jayhawk guy, almost went KSU). Apparently Cousins is texting him everyday about come to Cal's juco in Lexington "or R.I.P."

From what I've read Johnson has a good friendship with X but has backed off lately with testing him because he knows "everyone is bugging him".

At heart, it is apparent X is a Jayhawk -- watched DVD 50 times, got chills etc. Deep down he knows the only place that has a shot at a national championship (between UK & KU) is the Jayhawks. I firmly believe he is beginning to see how shambled the UK bench will be, even if Cal grabs a couple more high profile 18 year olds. With Meeks and Patterson either going NBA, or not, it's not a good situation at UK right now. Very unstable to bring a guy like X in who would like to at least make the NCAA tournament.

If Cal thought he had it easy in CUSA prepping for the NCAA tourney, wait til the SEC actually figures out what Missouri already knew -- run through them & wear Calipari's young teams down, and Cal's young teams shrivel in the 2nd half.

Cal's team will be very young and very inexperienced next year. Possibly not even making the tourney.

The pieces are coming together for X. There truly is only one place he & CJ should go -- yes, he'll have to break off two good friendships, one with Cal & one with Cousins. However, neither of them have a shot at a ring next year do they?

After the dust settles in the next week, the real Jayhawk posters will come out -- most of us will be grinning very proudly, partially thinking about next year's tourney, but mostly thinking back to the early 80's, thinking,

"Welcome back to Lawrence, Carl -- thanks for bringing your sons..."

rockchalks7 10 years, 9 months ago

espn just reported this morning that calipari has sent scholarship papers to Lebron James' sons whey they were born... who does that? hope X and CJ see what a true person Cal is... with that being said bring on Lance!!!

Dan Harris 10 years, 9 months ago

Did anybody else see the Zags post yesterday about Lance going to Syracuse? It was at the end of an article talking about Flynn hiring an agent and they went on discussing next years starting lineup, Lance was penciled in as their starting PG?

KULA 10 years, 9 months ago

Check this and scroll to "notable games" and you'll see why UK hates KU, lmao http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_Jayhawks_men's_basketball

kkoenig 10 years, 9 months ago

here's the LS - Syracuse confusion. read carefully:

"That leaves Andy Rautins, Mookie Jones and Scoop Jardine as the lone returning guards at Syracuse. Those three, along with Brandon Triche, the Co-Mr. New York Basketball with Lance Stephenson, will lead the backcourt."

from: http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/04/16/cousins-orton-thinking-final-4-at-kentucky/

jakejayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I suggest that everyone bring an extra Jayhawk shirt to Late Night. Then, when Elijah is introduced, we all hold up the shirts and wave them. Can you think of a better way to show this young Jayhawk how proud we are of his dedication to our program? If you like the idea, please help to promote it and remind folks come Late Night.

Mark Winkler 10 years, 9 months ago

I live in Las Vegas and watched Johnson play. The good, has talent and can play the point and shoot. The bad, fouls out ALOT. tends in almost everygame i saw him out he gets lazy. He will stunn the fans, Self will light a WORK HARD or sit mentalitly under his butt. BEAK'EM HAWKS

mark

speedy 10 years, 9 months ago

cre017 have you gotten over the bad call on JoJo at El Paso ???

100 10 years, 9 months ago

It looks like John Wall is more than likely going NBA.

That's yet another card in KU's favor towards X realizing he wants to be a champion just like the 2008 team.

jtm 10 years, 9 months ago

Does anyone know how many scholarships UK has to offer this year? They have already signed 3.

Robert Lofthouse 10 years, 9 months ago

b-cause jayhawkinnc, HCBS looks and sounds much better than BS while referring to the COY

chriz 10 years, 9 months ago

Man, I'm getting excited about Elijah! Who cares about X! Let's take Lance and be done with it! Any chance Lance will stay for two years? At this point, I'd almost rather have someone who'd stay for at least two years than someone who MAY be slightly better who only wants to stay for one year.

rockchalk10jk 10 years, 9 months ago

no way lance stays two years. if you go to his web site, the title says NBA bound New York guard. or something along those lines. He wants to go the NBA and i strongly believe he will go no matter what school he goes to and how they do in the tourney

Jaminrawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Well, if he watched the 2008 National Championship video like 50 times, he will have seen Cal's best work. Missed freethrows, players letting the pressure get to them in crunch time and not winning the national championship. Self crafted a team of players with ice water in their veins on that 2008 squad. It is an "honor" to play for Self at KU.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 9 months ago

If a 360 through-the-legs dunk, in a game, is a 5.5 or a 6, I'm scared to see what Johnson will do at Late Night.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 9 months ago

I wish the NBA would fold. No one really cares anymore.

Eric J. Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

I can understand the apprehensive nature of qualifying Helms Titles, but the fact remains, we had a damn fine team those two years, and Adolph Rupp helped make that happen. Plus, hehe, Kentucky has two Helms Titles of their own. Just a statement of fact.

vegas_hawk 10 years, 9 months ago

cre017 is right. Kentucky hates KU because we put up 150 points on then in AFH back in 1987, I think. We haven't played UK since and they won't sign a series with KU because of that beating we handed them!

Everyone should get over X cause we won't come to KU. Self should just call Lance to welcome him to KU since he's the one that actually wants to play at KU.

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

Strikewso,

I understand your sentiment about the NBA, although I'm a casual fan from April - June. But, I think your assumption that no really cares anymore is off base. Those guys make $$millions$$ in the League because so many people do care. JMHO.

Eric J. Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

@vegas_hawk: If I'm not mistaken, we did play Kentucky again, at least once, in the 2007 NCAA tournament. I think it was Tubby Smith's last year there.

Chicago_JHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

vegas_hawk - the 150 pt game was in 1989, btw. Since then, we've played UK in the tourney twice, and in the regular season at least twice, most recently a home and home in Jan 05 and Jan 06. After the 89 beatdown, it was Pitino who didn't want to play KU again. Tubby Smith didn't feel the same way...

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

vegas_hawk,

Larry was coaching KU in 1987. It was 1989 when we crushed UK - I was there and it was spectactular (Terry Brown was unconscious from 3). Also, we have played UK at least 3 times since that game. Once in Lexington (1990 I think - we got spanked) and then in the NCAA tourney (1 loss and 1 win). I don't mean to harp on your post - just wanted to show how %&!* smart I am.

BTW - I saw Pitino drop the F-bomb on uncle Roy when offered to call timeout. Spectactular...

Robert Lofthouse 10 years, 9 months ago

ahhhh vegas_hawk, it was 1989 in AFH .. KU third team against Pitino's best -- there was also a KU-UK matchup in Lexington in 2005 - beat No. 8 Kentucky 65-59

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 9 months ago

'You will be angry at them plenty often with Calipari there.'

Two years ago Calipari had too much baggage for the almighty Kentucky alumni but now he is being treated as if he is the second coming... I just wonder how long before the NCAA violations start adding up?

100 10 years, 9 months ago

Jhawk7782,

That could be another hole in the armour for Cal trying to sway X.

The NCAA more than ever is watching Cal's actions, including the mystery of what his ex-recruits have said about how much they were paid for "camp duties".

In the end, X wants a championship, to play with high caliber players (try five eventual lottery picks at KU if he signs) and a great atmosphere, not to be dragged into NIT hell with a thin bench.

Lastly, Phog always said his undefeated 1923 team was his best. And Paul Endacott was the best player he ever coached. It's not our fault the NCAA tourney didn't exist.

old75 10 years, 9 months ago

This whole drama isn't about X, it is CJ that is causing all the problems. X wants to come here, he wanted to in the fall, but they want to keep the whole family together and CJ wants to play right away and at a school he can crack the lineup. He is the one forcing the Kentucky issue.

Coach Cal has another problem though, he has 14 scholarships accounted for and only 13 allowed by NCAA rules. My count includes Patterson and Meeks who both appear likely to return to school, and NCAA rules require that those scholarships be held for them, so if X and CJ are serious about Kentucky they will have to wait until around the June 15th deadline to pull out of the draft.

ohjayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

joel - I was at the 150-95 drubbing as well. It was a thing of beauty. Of course, it probably wouldn't have been so bad had Pitino not insisted on pressing the whole game.

ohjayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

clicker - Yeah, I know UK has Helms titles too. So does UNC. I guess I count them as titles, but only different. LOL

DoubleDD 10 years, 9 months ago

100 I'm glad your so sure that the X is coming to KU, cuz the rest of Jayhawk nation doesnt' see it that way. (though we would love to see him come). If you wish to continue with this dream, by all means do so. However don't expect every KU fan to agree with you. Especially when all signs say he isn't coming. You keep talking about the X like his your best friend and that he confides in you with all the emotional struggles he is having (which I doubt). The rest of us normal fans who aren't on X's contact list see the X constantly putting KU on the back burner period. Besides action speaks louder than words, and X's action are very clear to me.

Dale Koch 10 years, 9 months ago

I don't understand why everyone thinks we need those head cases on this team. With Elijah coming in with his attitude so strongly Jayhawk team oriented , I see no reason to add LS, XH, CJH, or JW at all. We don't need them. HCBS will make this team we have right now a NC. We are truly loaded already. These other big egos will just screw up the chemistry of this team. Let them go where ever they want and when we play against them we will show them what a real big time BB program is. Rock Chalk!!!

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

dek9219, i see your point and feel the same way many times. you and i both know if any one said, 'i'll sign', coach self would say, 'do it'.

100- Wall isn't going to the NBA next year, ZAGS says so in their quoted interview of Wall, and you know that's gospil!

Lance won't sign until he knows where X-spot is going, and X won't know until his brother tells him where he is going. Hope that works out for X, the rest of his life.

Elijah Johnson is the MAN!!!!!!

Joe Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

I respect X and Lance. They're both great kids with a huge decision. You gotta love EJ's attitude through this whole charade. He's mature and has shown some leadership. EJ seems to be having fun lately and enjoying himself by focusing on more important issues, other than b-ball (like less fortunate children). Unlike Cousins with his gang like attitude toward X, "RIP" ? I think in the end the intelligence of X will prevail and he'll go where he's perfectly happy. Self and Co have done all they can do and it's the recruits decision now. We are proud to have a classy program with some classy players at KU!! Thank you EJ for being a young man through this whole mess and being a real friend to X.

Rock Chalk

100 10 years, 9 months ago

DoubleDD,

Thank you for being about the 3rd KU fan in a week to come flat out and say what you're honestly thinking regarding the X situation:

1. You want him.
  2. You feel as though he somehow is taking too long.

That's fine and honest.

I'm just saying this is a busy kid, taking trips all over America the last 2 weeks since this Cal story broke.

We need to stop calling names; let him make the best decision for him.

In the end (a week) if he's as intelligent as he appears (weighing everything taking his time), the truth should be very apparent.

I'm as Jayhawk as they come, a coach & an ex player.

If I was in X's predicament, and didn't know Cal was a crook, i'd take my time too.

Until I realized KU is the way to go.

Only after playing my first home game would I realize that I absolutely made the right choice.

Give him some slack -- he's coming -- ESPN & FoxSports are predicting the same thing, it's not like this is some amazing premonition).

DoubleDD, thanks for your honesty -- if I was X I'd probably want to know the truth from KU fans not all the posers we see on this site: the truth?

We want CJ. We want X. We hope to win a championship with them.

The question is: do they want a ring or not?

100 10 years, 9 months ago

Dek9219,

Nice points. We're definitely loaded.

For anyone that saw the 97, 86, 2002, 2003, 2008, or 66 team, there is one piece missing...

A 3 that can get a clean 10 foot jump shot off anytime he wants...

When X comes, please join the bandwagon

DoubleDD 10 years, 9 months ago

ah sure 100 just kill me with kindness. I do hope you're right though. To be honest with you, I think X would've already be here if weren't for CJ. That is one of the reasons that makes me skeptical about X coming to KU. CJ seems to have his heart set on playing with Cal, and X seems to have his heart set on playing with CJ. And nobody not even Kansas can compete with brotherly love.

jayhawker_97 10 years, 9 months ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpgtx0... that's one heck of a sick dunk i've ever seen so far!!! thanks for the link & update, Gary!! i can't wait, can't wait... rock chalk!!

actorman 10 years, 9 months ago

"You keep talking about the X like his your best friend and that he confides in you with all the emotional struggles he is having (which I doubt)."

I find this to be an incredibly ironic statement, given that people are constantly ascribing all kinds of things to all these recruits like it's the gospel. The truth is that NO ONE knows what's really going on. Thank you, jayhawkerjoel and 100, for being two voices of reason on this ridiculous thread. I can't believe how many people are ripping HIGH SCHOOL KIDS for taking a long time to make a vitally important decision. We can think we know the reasons that certain things happen, but the truth is that we don't. Has everyone forgotten how long it took Brandon to decide? Or how long it took DA? This is not the first time that this type of delay has happened, and it won't be the last. I'm as eager as anyone else to see what happens, but for God sake, let the kids decide on their own time and stop calling them names assuming that means they're selfish jerks or that they won't be a team player!!! One has NOTHING to do with the other!

Chris Shaw 10 years, 9 months ago

I know for a fact (100 Percent) that I don't really have a clue which way these kids are going to lean for their college choice. It sure is fun talking about it though.

Martin Rosenblum 10 years, 9 months ago

For anybody out there who understands:

Set a glass out for Elijah and open the door so he can come in!

I'm glad he didn't pass US over!

DoubleDD 10 years, 9 months ago

actorman, I think your kinda missing the point with X. The X has already rejected KU once. There isn't one true KU fan that wouldn't want X to come and play at KU. Yea your right we can't read is mind but his actions speak louder than words. To be honest with you I don't feel that many if any have really attacked the X. They just don't believe he is coming like you and a few others. I would be more than happy to buy into the dream but give me solid evidence the X wants to come to KU, and none of the Jedi mind stuff (After he takes his time thinking about it he will the see the light and sign with KU}. He didn't see the light when he told KU no thanks and signed with Memphis. What so different now X still wants to play with CJ and CJ still wants to play with Cal. Before you whip out the espn and fox card on me, seeing is believing until Espn breaks the story, I can't believe. In the game of speclations, it is guessing game with the premise that a recruit would make the most obvious choice. I would agree with all that KU is the perfect place for X to play his lone college season. We have all the pieces to be champions, KU is favored by most to cut down the nets next season without the X, and X has a family History with KU. The problem is not the posters on here who don't think he is coming, X is the problem he isn't buying into our dream afterall he told KU no thanks once and is planing a trip to bluegrass country where he said he wouldn't go after all this Cal to UK went down. X has been putting KU on the back burner since day one (That should tell you something).

I would love the X and CJ to come to KU, I just don't think they want to. Sorry I just can't buy into your dream with what has already happened and what seems to be happening again. Just cuz KU fans want X and CJ to come doesn't mean they want to come period. As far as giving these kids a break, I've moved on just as most sensible KU fans have, its fans like you, 100, and others that keep bringing up this dream

"X is walking down the street his mind wrecked with what to do, then comes a sound he looks and its a Jayhawk that it's, I must go to KU."

You know its funny that must recruits know where they want to play their senior season in highschool, Hell some commit even early than their senior season. I know X had already signed with Memphis, but thats my point he said we were his #2 and it looks like were #2 again. Sorry I don't want to partake in could've, should've dreams.

kujayhawk34 10 years, 9 months ago

I'll be in attending the Jordan game tonight. Rumor has it that even though Lance isn't playing in the game, he'll be in attendence. He reportedly was not in the game due to his alledged affiliation with Under Armour.

KUSmurf 10 years, 9 months ago

This kid is hilarious. I can't wait to see EJ on the court.

Eric J. Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

DoubleDD: Most recruits aren't recruited as heavily as Xavier has been, either. A lot of them only have a few schools actively going after them, and sometimes maybe only one end up actually offering them a scholarship. Plus, for people like Xavier or Wall, they're definitely going to the NBA, so they're thinking more about where they can get a lot of exposure to increase their draft pick. Other recruits are going to have to work during their college years to become drafted by the NBA. It's a very big decision.

actorman 10 years, 9 months ago

Double DD, you make several references to my believing that X is coming to KU. I challenge you to point out one time when I said that. At one point I did believe he might be coming here, now I'm not sure. But my point had nothing to do with where I thought he'd be going, it was that I don't know -- and no one else knows. Yes, I realize he turned us down before, and I know his prime objective is to play with his brother (and who can really blame him for that), but that still doesn't mean anyone truly knows how this is going to play out.

As for your comment that, "I don't feel that many if any have really attacked the X," perhaps that's true with the majority of comments, but there have certainly been some asinine things said about X (and keep in mind, this doesn't even count all the ridiculous comments about him on other threads):

"Elijah is the Anti-X. I'm loving his attitude." Okay, so this isn't the worst comment in the world, but it is saying that X has a major attitude problem, and there is absolutely no evidence that that's true.

"We need to kick X to the curb. He's been given chance after chance to come to KU and he keeps putting us on hold. If he's all about himself off the court, can you imagine how selfish he'd be on the court. From the way he keeps acting, I don't see him being a very good team player at KU. That's not the kind of player we want." This is the kind of sheer idiocy I was referring to.

"I don't understand why everyone thinks we need those head cases on this team. With Elijah coming in with his attitude so strongly Jayhawk team oriented , I see no reason to add ls, xh, cjh, or JW at all. We don't need them. HCBS will make this team we have right now a NC. We are truly loaded already. These other big egos will just screw up the chemistry of this team. Let them go where ever they want and when we play against them we will show them what a real big time BB program is." No further comment is necessary. The "brilliance" of this paragraph speaks for itself.

DoubleDD 10 years, 9 months ago

I concede actorman what you said is what I total believe. Nice post, and it is a brilliant post.