Friday, April 17, 2009

DT picks KU

Jeremiah Edwards, a 6-foot-1, 270-pound junior defensive tackle from Garland (Texas) High School, on Thursday orally committed to play football at Kansas University, according to Rivals.com.

Edwards, who attended KU’s spring game, said he had heard from coaches from Oklahoma, Nebraska, MIssissippi, Tulsa and SMU in his early stages of recruiting.

Garland is the home of former KU defensive tackle James McClinton.

“They (KU coaches) told me they liked my speed off the ball and my quickness,” Edwards told Rivals.com. “They think I can be an impact player.”

Comments

Don Everett 10 years, 9 months ago

Another top notch recruit that chose KU over other schools. Mangino and company have it going on. Keep it up and KU will eventually become a top 10 school in every sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Brown 10 years, 9 months ago

Wait, this is April, 2009 and these recruits are for the 2010 class?

Brad Avery 10 years, 9 months ago

If Texas withdraws from the union, as its nutty governor has threatened, will Mangino and staff be permitted to cross their borders? If he does, will he permitted to leave Texas? Perhaps KU will have to pay a tariff to import Texas players, and the staff will be compelled to begin recruiting within our state again.

John Mueller 10 years, 9 months ago

Calling all recruiting service subscribers......

Is this kid considered a 3 or a 4? (I hope he's at least a 3)

Appreciate any insight here.

jb, I agree it is pretty early for these kids to commit, but remember it means absolutely nothing at this stage anyway. It's more like basketball where they rank their top schools and KU is currently number 1.

Having said that, I am ALWAYS a fan of recruiting big kids for the trenches so generally excited even though we don't know much about his resume.

Anybody who reads my posts knows how I feel about lineman on both sides of the ball, (THEY ARE PROGRAM BUILDERS. THEY WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS, THEY TILT THE BALANCE OF POWER).

The delta between our skill position kids and a Texas or an OU isn't that big, but the delta between their interior lineman and our interior lineman is significant, and closing that delta will win a Big 12 championship.

By the time I read the story yesterday, it was old chatter so I didn't chime in, but I totally agree with Brock. Mack Brown owns the Texas kids. Occasionally, LSU or OU will take a good player, but generally even then it's because the kid thought he would have a hard time playing at his position or personality conflict between his posse and the staff, etc.

Hopefully this is a great get for Coach M!

Tribehawk 10 years, 9 months ago

If this kid is even half what McClinton was, I'll be happy. I really think losing McClinton was a major reason our defense suffered last year as compared to the year prior. Without his disruption on the line, our LBs suffered, and in turn the DBs suffered. I'm looking forward to see how Parrish evolves in the next couple of years to see if he can become the type of DT that OCs have to gameplan against.

Andy Hess 10 years, 9 months ago

you don't have to be a subscriber to see his star ranking. he doesn't have a star ranking yet as they are still evaluating this class. he is rated a 78 by ESPN.com

cre017 10 years, 9 months ago

At 6'1" he is a shrimp for a DT and that's why OU and NU didn't want him...I see this guy moving in towards the middle of the line.

jayhawkr34 10 years, 9 months ago

doolindarling, i realize your sarcasm, but my only question is, why is the gov "nutty" for standing up for what he and a majority of his state believes.

justanotherfan 10 years, 9 months ago

Alan Halvorsen 10 years, 9 months ago

cre- 6'1" is actually pretty ideal for a defensive tackle, the point is have a low solid center of gravity. And "You see him moving in towards the middle of the line"...... Well duh, that's what a defensive tackle does.

jchief40 10 years, 9 months ago

Haha Jimmy Dean! I love your sausages!

Jaminrawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Wow, I commented on yesterday's story about the wideout we just got a commitment from, that typically one commitment starts the influx of other commitments. Glad to see kids are willing to commit (at least verbally) so early to KU these days. It is a testament to the work past and current players have done to put KU on the map. Kudos to coach Mangino and company.

rockchalks7 10 years, 9 months ago

checking out his film this kid looks to be a good get. stays low and gets off the ball quick. dont know how well his competition is but his quickness off the line is something that should translate well.

Jeremy LeMaster 10 years, 9 months ago

Rivals (which IMHO is better than ESPN for recruiting) has not ranked all of the players in 2010 either. They do have some stats on him...

Forty: 4.9 sec Bench Max: 300 lbs SquatMax: 500 lbs

Pretty solid and will only get better!

Dirk Medema 10 years, 9 months ago

justanotherfan says... 78 on ESPN usually indicates about a three star, maybe a low four star. It's kind of like grades in school. 90's are 5 stars, 80's are four stars, and so on.

Nice simplistic assessment until you consider that we didn't have anybody rate in the 80's last year, and had 4 - ****'s

"Once he gets reevaluated, he could move into the four star range. He needs to put on some weight if he's going to be a DT, though. 270 isn't very big for an interior lineman."

If he had committed to a "major" school, the services would likely change his ranking, but KU probably still doesn't carry that sort of influence. Fortunately, ESPN/Rivals/... won't change his actual ability, which is what our coaches use, and I trust their judgement a lot more.

Besides, 270 may not be big for a collegiate DT, but it is great for a HS junior. That should make him 280 or 290 by the time he gets to KU as a freshman. It would be great if he has JMac's quickness off the ball and the ability to play as a true frosh, but lineman usually watch and bulk up for a year before playing.

John Mueller 10 years, 9 months ago

Class of 02, easy on our governor. If Texas were to secede from the Union, my taxes would go down and your taxes would go up.

Or, do you pay taxes?

prairie_dog 10 years, 9 months ago

As I recall, James McClinton was about 6' 1". I'll take another James, then another, then another.....

jhokfan 10 years, 9 months ago

As much as I dislike the University of Texas, the State of Texas has been very good for KU football.

Mack Brown's job is way too easy. He gets first shot at most recruits and probably drives his car to visit a lot of them. Mangino has to work twice as hard to land half as many.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 9 months ago

The fact is, despite not getting the "elite" recruits, KU gets players that fit the program. Football is the ultimate team sport. All Mangino needs are solid, smart and coachable kids that want to win college games rather than pad stats for the NFL (hello Bryce Brown).

justanotherfan 10 years, 9 months ago

dagger -

Not disputing what you said. I said 78 is high three, low 4. Our 4 stars that are coming in were all ranked 77s. We actually had several guys ranked 77 on ESPN. Some were three star, some were 4 star. So it actually is pretty accurate.

My comment about needing to gain weight was mostly a statement hinting at a possible redshirt year to put on some weight and add muscle before contributing as a redshirt freshman or sophomore. I do like his quickness, though. If he can use that to collapse the pocket, that will help us tremendously in defending the spread.

Chicago_JHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

jhawkr34- 75% of his state DOESN'T agree with him!

Dirk Medema 10 years, 9 months ago

justanotherfan

Thanks for the clarification. I agree wholeheartedly.

I am so looking forward to this year, and hoping as much for development of the underclassmen and recruiting as anything so that it can continue in '10 and beyond. It may be real convenient that we have the easy BigXII schedule in '10, since we'll be breaking in a lot of new people that year.

But let's enjoy this year! Rock Chalk!

Michael Bratisax 10 years, 9 months ago

This could be a really good signing for KU.

I hate when these boards get political. Why blast a governor who doesn't want to spend money just for the sake of it. My former accountant told me the best way for me to get out of debt was to obtain a few more credit cards and spend spend spend. His name was Anderson or something like that.

Living in the former great state of New York has been a real education in the virtues of wasteful spending.

AND the Jayhawk Nation extends well past any borders.