Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Jayhawks a favorite to win in 2010

Kansas coach Bill Self cracks a joke as he recognizes members of his staff for their contributions in this 2009 file photo. Bill Self took time during his Elite camp for blue-chip high school prospects to meet with the Journal-World in support of Perkins.

Collins and Aldrich sign up for another year at KU

If you missed it last night, Kansas men's basketball coach Bill Self landed two huge recruits for next season. Their names? Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich.

The “I’m staying” declarations of Cole Aldrich and Sherron Collins have made Kansas University’s basketball team a popular early pick to win the 2010 NCAA basketball championship.

“Kansas just became the clear-cut favorite,” FOXsports.com’s Jeff Goodman wrote Tuesday in response to the news at Monday’s KU basketball banquet that Collins would return for his senior season and Aldrich his junior campaign.

“Collins is arguably the top returning point guard in the country. Aldrich will come back as one of the elite big men in the nation,” Goodman wrote.

CBSsportsline.com’s Gary Parrish and ESPN.com’s Andy Katz also have KU preseason No. 1, while Mike DeCourcy of the Sporting News has KU No. 2 behind Syracuse. The preseason polls figure to change following the month-long spring signing period (which starts today) and after the (June 15) NBA early-entry withdrawal deadline.

“We have a lot of pieces returning and a few new faces. We’ll be real good and in the hunt for the national championship,” Collins said.

KU returns all five starters from last season: Collins, Aldrich, Tyshawn Taylor, Marcus Morris and Brady Morningstar. Returnees who played significant minutes include Tyrel Reed, Markieff Morris, Mario Little and Travis Releford. Also in the mix next season will be newcomers Elijah Johnson, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey (after first semester).

Currently at 12 scholarship players (one under the limit), KU is still in the running for Xavier Henry, 6-foot-6 from Oklahoma City; Lance Stephenson, 6-6 from Brooklyn, N.Y.; John Wall, 6-3 from Raleigh, N.C.; and Daniel Orton, 6-10 from Oklahoma City, who may ask out of his letter-of-intent at Kentucky.

“We had great talent this year. I think Sherron and I can work on the new guys coming in this summer, helping these guys improve and I think we’ll be really good next year,” Aldrich stated. “We have great talent. Guys will work hard. I think it’ll be a fun year.”

Aldrich said the Jayhawks would be ranked “pretty high” to start the ’09-10 season.

“We’ve got everybody coming back and have some great players coming in this summer,” Aldrich said.

Coach Bill Self acknowledged that the team could be special.

“I do think we return the best guard in the country and return the best big guy in the country,” Self said. “If you are going to start a team, why not have an anchor and why not have a guard? That’s two pretty good spots to start.”

Henry update: Xavier Henry on Tuesday said in an ESPN.com chat that he and his brother, C.J., will visit Kentucky before choosing a school.

C.J. Henry is a 6-3 freshman guard at the University of Memphis; Xavier a 6-6 guard who has signed with Memphis. Both have been released from their letters-of-intent following John Calipari’s decision to leave Memphis for Kentucky.

“We’ve never been out there (Kentucky),” Xavier said of he and his brother. “After that (visit sometime next week), we’ll take a couple of days and probably make our decision.”

Henry, who will play in the Jordan Brand Classic on Saturday in New York, said he and his brother will definitely attend the same school. C.J. will be a walk-on at KU or Kentucky. His education is paid for by the New York Yankees, who made him a first-round draft pick in the summer of 2005.

Xavier said the decisions of Collins and Aldrich would not impact his decision.

“It just helps to know that we’ll have a good team if we go to Kansas,” he said.

“There are a lot of things,” he added of key factors in the decision-making process. “Me and my brother making sure we’re happy where we're going. Keeping my family happy and keeping them together is what I'm basing my decision on.”

Three of the Henrys will discuss recruiting a bit this weekend. C.J. and mom Barbara will be in New York to support Xavier at the Brand Classic.

Carl Henry, father of C.J. and Xavier, told Rivals.com on Tuesday he thought Memphis was not an option for the duo.

Wall update: John Wall, a 6-3 point guard from Raleigh, N.C., said in his ESPN.com chat he has a final list of KU, Memphis, Baylor, North Carolina State, Kentucky Miami, Duke, North Carolina and Florida.

“I don’t know yet. It’s pretty tough,” Wall said, when asked when he’d pick a school.

ESPN believes Wall may explore entering the NBA Draft. He’s considered to be in his fifth year of high school, meaning he may also be a year beyond the graduation of his high school class, thus eligible according to draft rules. If he enters the draft, the NBA would rule on his special case.

KU 22nd in recruiting: ESPN.com ranks KU’s incoming recruiting class No. 22 in the country as the spring signing period begins. North Carolina is No. 1. Obviously KU’s ranking will jump if the team lands Henry or Stephenson.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 3 months ago

Listed below is the complete chat XH had at 3 pm yesterday with ESPN. After reading it is pretty obvious his heart and soul is with Calipari and only him. I'd be shocked if he chooses KU. He even says they won't choose a school prior to CJ finding out if he is elgible to play immediately after transferring. Sadly, XH doesn't know the rules. You can NOT request a ruling until you transfer, not before.

Buzzmaster: Xavier is here!

John T. (Lexington, KY): Xavier, what's the official list of top contender schools?

Xavier Henry: Kansas, Memphis and Kentucky.

Evan (Kansas): Xavier, Does the fact that Sherron and Cole are returning next season impact your decision at all?

Xavier Henry: Not really. It just helps to know that we'll have a good team if we go to Kansas.

Daniel: (Lexington, KY): Do you prefer playing in a fast paced offense or a set half court offense?

Xavier Henry: A fast pace. Everybody gets touches in a fast pace and none of your teammates get mad.

Chris, Louisville: So are you and your brother a package deal?

Xavier Henry: Yeah, it turned out that way. I think we're going to do that, go to the same school.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 3 months ago

Chapel Hill, NC: Xavier, how important is it for you to play college basketball at a tradition rich program such as Kansas, where both of your parents played?

Xavier Henry: It wasn't a deciding factor, but it's kind of cool if your whole family went to the same school. It's not a deciding factor, but it's cool.

Mckenzie (Erlanger KY): does calipari's offense affect your overall decision in any way?

Xavier Henry: It's a big factor, the style that he plays and how his team works. Now he has to start all over and the team is not going to play like it has. It will be different than what its been in Memphis.

Mark Columbus, OH: When do you think you will decide?

Xavier Henry: I haven't put a timetable on it, but it will be as quick as possible. After these games.

Aaron Sivori (Louisville, Ky): What is the highest number of threes you have hit in a single game?

Xavier Henry: Honestly, I don't know. It was probably a lot! I know one time, this past year in Missouri, I think it was the ''Show Me Classic'' I think I had 10 or 12, or maybe it was 10 of 12.

Kevin (Louisville Ky): Love your game! what do you base your decision on?

Xavier Henry: There are a lot of things. Me and my brother making sure we're happy where we're going. Keeping my family happy and keeping them together is what I'm basing my decision on.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 3 months ago

Xavier Henry: We have real good relationships. They've been recruiting me over the years. They know my families well. We keep communicating all the time.

Lawrence, KS: Xavier- How important is being able to play on an established national championship caliber team for you now preparing to make your college decision?

Xavier Henry: It's real important. That's what you go to college for, to win it all and prepare yourself to be the best. I'm fortunate to have those schools looking at me.

Nathan (Bowling Green, Ky): What NBA player would you say has a game similar to yours?

Xavier Henry: I don't know. I take different parts of a lot of people's games and make them my own.

Parker: Memphis, TN: Did you have much of a relationship with coach Pastner before Cal left for Kentucky?

Xavier Henry: Yeah. That was the main guy that was recruiting me, Coach Pastner. He's a positive guy and we have a good relationship.

Matt (Lexington, KY): Do you plan on taking anymore visits before making a decision?

Xavier Henry: Yeah, I plan on taking one visit with my brother to Kentucky. We've never been out there. After that, we'll take a couple of days and probably make our decision.

Taylor (Baton Rouge, LA): Have you already made your decision and you are waiting to announce or are you still struggling with making a decision?

Xavier Henry: I'm still deciding where I'm going to go. If I knew where I was going, I would have made the announcement a long time ago. I'm not trying to hold out on anybody.

Jeff (Asheville, NC): What player did you most admire growing up?

Xavier Henry: My brother. Always getting to see him play. He taught me a lot.

Brian (Chicago): Will you wait to hear from the NCAA on CJ's status next year before making a decision?

Xavier Henry: Yeah. CJ's a big part of my decision. I'm waiting to hear about him before I decide where I'm going.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 3 months ago

stephen (Dallas,TX): Xavier, you once pinned one of my lay-ups on the backboard so hard that I thought the ball was going to pop. What are you most excited for going into next season?

Xavier Henry: Just seeing how good they can prepare me to be for the next level. Seeing how they can take my game and being with my brother the whole year and my family.

--Ross (Lawrence, KS): How good of a relationship do you have with Self? Calipari?

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 3 months ago

Jeff (Asheville, NC): What player did you most admire growing up?

Xavier Henry: My brother. Always getting to see him play. He taught me a lot.

Rod, Los Angeles, CA.: Do you get tired of all the recruiting and hype?

Xavier Henry: After a while it gets boring. Just stagnate. I'm just waiting for it to be over with so I can go on and go to college and further my career.

Ryan (Lexington, KY): How much does Jodie Meek's decision to stay in the draft or come back next year affect your opinion of coming to UK? Could you all play well together?

Xavier Henry: That would. That changed the team and the whole outlook of the team. I'd have to look at that if he decides to stay in or play at Kentucky. We'd have to talk about it.

Xavier Henry: Thank you for following me!------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Rod, Los Angeles, CA.: Do you get tired of all the recruiting and hype?

Xavier Henry: Thank you for following me!

TheTruth08 11 years, 3 months ago

I've been so over John Wall. He has absolutely no idea where he wants to go right now. He has a list of nine schools. It was seven a few weeks ago. Seven teams? In April? A few weeks ago he said he needed to cut his list down. John should have done that during the season. Now is the time when you actually chose a school, not add more to the list. Dude, just go pro. The Xavier Henry saga is also getting old. KU played this song and dance with Xavier for a year. He chose another school and here we are, a few months later, and he's doing it again. The Jayhawks missed out on some key players because they were chasing him around for months, before he burned them. Xavier, for KU, is that pretty girl that you know is no good for you. She's poison. She'll string you along, string you along and at the end of the day, she'll drop you for the next best thing. You're just her back up plan. She knows you will always tell her yes. Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am. I actually like the guy's game. He would help KU immensely. What I don't like is watching my favorite team get played like a musical instrument. He doesn't have any idea where he wants to go? Please. He knows where he's leaning. How do you not know in April? I'm not exactly sure KU is the school he's always wanted to attend. If it were true, he'd have committed by now. With Sherron and Cole returning it should have been an extremely easy decision. I can definitely see a scenario where the Jayhawks lose out on Lance Stephenson and Xavier, because they were chasing the pretty girl named Poison. Taking this long to make a decision rubs me the wrong way. Nobody needs an entire year to figure out their next move. Elijah Johnson didn't need a year. Thomas Robinson didn't need a year. Royce Woolridge needed a few minutes. Brandon Rush needed one conversation. Julian Wright needed five minutes---and he ended up making a pretty wise choice. He played for a high profile school and he's now a millionaire. Stringing along schools and holding them hostage and not giving them an answer in a reasonable amount of time, so the school can make its next move doesn't sit well with me. Somebody is going to get left out in the cold (KU or UK). In life, time stands still for no one---including Xavier. In the real world, if you're offered a job, they're not going to let you "decide' for months or a year. They'll move on. I'm tempted to root for HCBS to do that very thing. Make Xavier's decision a little easier. Sign Lance Stephenson and call it a Championship, before we're left empty handed.

Lance Hobson 11 years, 3 months ago

I'm over all of these guys. They don't deserve to play at KU.

shawk13 11 years, 3 months ago

I completely agree with TheTruth08, but its simply heartbreaking to let someone like Xavier go when it is so easy to fantasize about how stacked we would be with him. Lance looks like an amazing player but I can't get over the feeling that he just isn't the type of player we want. I feel as though KU has too many tradition-rich and classic overtones for a media-loving player like him to mesh well. On top of that, there is behavior issues and, as it has been said before, I think Lance is a little to much of an "I" player than an "us" player for my liking. I hope something works out though, the whole family tradition thing seems perfect for the Henrys but I won't be surprised if they don't commit here.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 3 months ago

Lance is the real deal. He doesn't blab all the time and get all the attention the Henry's do. He's keeping things quiet until he's ready to make his decision.

drum1984 11 years, 3 months ago

I get the feeling X just wants to his one and done year with CJ and CJ is sold on Calipari. I think Carl would love to see his sons play at Kansas. I'd like to see Self just sign Stephenson and call it a class. The Kansas program is better off with players who know they want to play for Kansas. Or at least have a dream about it (ala Arthur). Colins, Taylor, Johnson, Reed, Morningstar in the backcourt; Stephenson, Little, Releford on the wing, and Aldrich, Morris Twins, Withey, Robinson in the front court=Championship!

Fred Davis 11 years, 3 months ago

A few quick items before I head off to work -

1 - Mike DeCourcy is an idiot. Half of Syracuse has declared for the NBA Draft. The rest have been choking coeds at late night parties - paging Eric Devendorf.

2 - I am sick and tired of Xavier Henry. Go to Kentucky and leave the KU fan base alone. Bring on Lance - who I think is the better of the two anyway.

3 - Stay away from Missouri football workouts.

4 - Enjoy your Wednesday.

Lindsey Buscher 11 years, 3 months ago

"...and for Kansas to maintain its place as one of the premier programs in the country,” ESPN.com assessed.

Thanks ESPN, but no maintenance necessary, we are on of the premier programs and not landing X or Lance ain't gonna change that.

Brett Glover 11 years, 3 months ago

I couldn't agree with you more drgnslayer. Lance is by far a better choice for us, COME ON LANCE!!!!!

Freddy, correction on #3- unless you have your rocket launcher, :) jk

yates33333 11 years, 3 months ago

I hope this is correct, but a number of teams have good players returning. I don't understand why a top flight player wouldn't want to come to KU now. He can be on a championship team if the experts are correct.

KU1992 11 years, 3 months ago

ya drgnslayr. your post is giving me second thoughts. that was a pretty good analysis.

Brett Glover 11 years, 3 months ago

Drgnslayr, if you're on any other board sites post your analysis on thos boards too to try and change peoples minds.

Xavier reminds me of my ex..... that whore, just kidding...

jchawkfan 11 years, 3 months ago

I respect X and CJ because of Carl and the Henry family, but this is what I think is best for the KU Jayhawks.

Rock Chalk Stephenson........Rock Chalk Stephenson.......Rock Chalk Stephenson....

NYhawk13 11 years, 3 months ago

FreddyD: Thanks for your post this morning. It definitely made the start of my day a little more enjoyable.

I can't even begin to describe how excited I am for basketball season coming with or without any of these still undecided recruits.

FairgroveJayhawk 11 years, 3 months ago

drgnslayer - a spewing of motivational 'hoopla'. I'm sold. Good speech. Sign him immediately.

The KU basketball program is pretty impressive. Preseason #1, a good recruiting class coming in that has obvious loyalties to the university and program already (EJ's comments regarding X and actions at the high school tourney in Kentucky), and Coach of the Year, Bill Self.

It doesn't get much better.

Rock Chalk

tulsahawkfan 11 years, 3 months ago

Drgnslayr posts on zagsblog too and I do agree Lance is all about winning. He is the only player to have 4 PSAL championships and every interview he gives he talks about winning as his #1 goal. I think Drgnslayr is right. I also agree with Drum1984 in that CJ is sold on Calipari and if we keep after X, we'll lose both him and Lance. It would make my day to just see Lance commit to us and we get over this whole drama.

stravinsky 11 years, 3 months ago

I don't understand why everyone has to be so critical of HIGH SCHOOL kids who are having to make a life determining choice. I mean, I can hardly decide what I want at Taco Bell, I can't even imagine what I would be like if I was deciding which basketball program to play for. And I don't buy that Henry in that interview made any signs that Kentucky is the favorite. The interviewer happened to ask more questions about Kentucky and Coach Cal.

I'd still take the Henry brothers in a heartbeat. Although Lance would also be excellent.

Timmay97 11 years, 3 months ago

Fact is......either of these kids will do fine for KU. I've said it before and I'll say ti again.......KU desparately needs another playmaker on the team. The only person who can currently create his own shot is Sherron. Having either Henry and Stephenson changes that. I'm sure Elijah changes that too. We need guys who can shoot off the dribble.

The more guys who can create off the dribble, the more Morningstar and Reed will have a field day from three point land.

There's just something about having a "southpaw" on this team that creates problems for other teams. I will take Stephenson with a huge grin, but I have to admit.....I'd rather have Henry.

Paul Mitten 11 years, 3 months ago

Who cares if people "deserve" to play at KU? Stop nitpicking the decision making processes of 18 yr olds. Let's just sit back and watch HCBS get the best player possible, and we know he will. People forget Brandon Rush never seemed like he wanted to play at KU all that much but he brought his game night in and night out and delivered a title. If Xavier can do that, fine. If Lance can do that, fine. If they can't, but they try their best, fine. Once people put on the uniform, they become Jayhawks. It doesn't matter why the put on the uniform.

If they didn't deserve to play at KU, HCBS wouldn't be recruiting them, and he's the best coach we've ever had. He clearly knows better than we do.

rawkhawk 11 years, 3 months ago

This endless speculation is sorta fun (that's why i am addicted to this site) but I think either Lance or Xavier would help round out this already deep team. It's a win-win situation...the incoming 3 should get significant PT and national exposure and the chance for a national championship. We have to trust Bill Self to make the call.

I'm still stoked about Sherron and Cole coming back!

kranny 11 years, 3 months ago

I agree with the Lance posters. I've watched him a couple of times and the thing that stands out about Lance is that he can penetrate into tough traffic and get to the rack and finish big. He is big and strong and gets fouled a lot. Xavier is a great player but more of a three point threat. He is a good but not a great ball handler. X reminds me of Rush during his freshman and sophomore years except X's left hand is dominate. X pulls up for the jumper and sits out on the perimeter more. Lance attacks and makes defenses collapse. For Self's offense, Lance looks like a better fit but with Self he'll make any great player adapt. With that said, next year's team is going to be special without any of those guys coming. But if I had a choice I'd take a tough New Yorker.

cre017 11 years, 3 months ago

X is lost...I want to go out to UK because I've never been there before..complete BS..Cal will sign him but if he wants to play for a championship team it's not going to be with those rednecks in Lexington..it's in Lawrence. At this point I don't want X playing for KU nor his brother. Cal is a used car salesman and won't let X out of UK until he has his signature. Wall is the real deal and love to have him come to KU. If not wall I would like to see Lance come because I think he is tough and would fit well with Sherron and Cole. Go Hawks!

4jhawks4ku 11 years, 3 months ago

Personally I dont think its right that the car salesman can quit one job, go to another and take his recruits with him. The NCAA should put a stop to that. Even old Roy had the integrity not to pull that stunt. Now when a coach leaves or quits it suddenly becomes a feeding frenzy. And they are opening a can of worms here by allowing the players to hold teams hostage. Theres way too much waiting to see if the player will be the star or whose gonna be on the team or if my brother or my friend can play too etc etc. Teams can be damaged big time by one player who promises this and does that. Players can be damaged by teams and coaches that promise one thing but cant deliver. Maybe thats the nature of the beast when youre one of the top teams in the nation but it will eventually trickle down to all teams. They need to straighten this out before it gets out of hand. These future NBA players are making a mockery out of the system for their own bright white spotlight.

BCRavenJHawkfan 11 years, 3 months ago

This pretty much sums it up:

Rod, Los Angeles, CA.: Do you get tired of all the recruiting and hype?

Xavier my man, when will you realize you are the one in control. A decision now and all that recruiting hype goes away. Oh wait, perhaps in reality he likes it. And this whole C.J., Calipari thing is getting to be just to bizzare for me.

Joel Hood 11 years, 3 months ago

Did anyone hear clips of HCBS at the banquet Monday night? He was in rare form. He did not sound like a guy who was sweating anything – he spoke like a man who was raring to get next season started. Does anyone really think HCBS won’t fill the vacant scholarship with a great player? Whether it’s Lance, X, or someone else, KU’s prospects for winning another NC will be more dependent on the improvements made by our returning guys (esp. the Morris twins) and not an unknown OAD. For what it’s worth, our early pre-season ranking will likely make KU even more appealing to Lance (from what he has said previously about playing for NC contender.)

100 11 years, 3 months ago

KU's style of play will be so much faster next year. Self always makes adjustments depending on the type of players he has (& quantity).

With alley oops being wide open, much tougher defense from the guards, and a team that could go as deep as 10, we will probably run faster than the 2008 Champions did. We'd be crazy not to. What X likes for next year, just so happens to be what we will be running -- I guarantee UK's points per game next year will be significantly lower than any Calipari team he's run for quite sometime. Too many new faces and, whether Meeks stays or not, talk about a ball hog. X would not be happy there.

Additionally, in terms of preparation for the NBA, there's also a need to learn a couple different half court sets. This is important. I know Calipari doesn't seem to think so based on his loss to Missouri (and even against Kansas that was a very poor looking offense when they tried to slow it down).

Calipari & his system, though maybe OK for X if Cal would have stayed at Memphis, would not be a good fit next year. Too many new faces. Too few bodies (everybody is talking about a decent starting five possibly if Meeks and Patterson stay, but what are they, a starting five of ballhog 18 and 19 year olds who who are gonna run for 40 minutes?)

The only decision that truly makes since for X is KU. He said it himself -- he wants to be a champion. Cal said it himself -- it will take a few years to "really get his system going".

Why would X shoot himself in the foot?

Answer -- if used car guy Cal can BS better than Self, Collins & Aldrich can tell the truth.

The writing is on the wall X -- your legacy awaits you at Wilt Chamberlain Fieldhouse.

Andrew Moore 11 years, 3 months ago

I don't like how coaches can take recruits, but I don't like how coaches can take another job and start work immediately. But when a player switches teams they sit out a year. I think that they should make coaching changes more difficult.

Lance Stephenson is a great player. Xavier Henry is a great player. I just want to make sure we get one of the two.

My best guess says X goes to Kentucky with CJ. If any of you guys want Xavier, you better pray that Meeks comes back. I think whats funny about this situation is that if Meeks comes back, X won't see the ball all that much. Kentucky will be full of OAD players all looking to pack that stat line. Kansas on the other hand will be a team full of winners, looking for a double U, not a double double. Part of me wants to watch X make the wrong choice (Kentucky) and then get beat down by Lance Sherron and Cole in the tournament. If you read his interview, Meeks' decision has more weight than Sherron and Cole's decisions in Xavier's mind. That to me is troubling.

Hopefully we can reel Lance in and not be distracted so much by Xavier that we miss out on both.

TexasHawk44 11 years, 3 months ago

Kranny: I agree with you on Lance. Plus, I believe Lance wants to play here. We put the slow down on him, not the other way around. I hope we sign him and move on...to a National Title!

I am all for these kids making the best decision for themselves and I hope the Henry family gets what they want. But I am personally getting tired of the "whatever" attitude that seems to prevail from that camp. Now X and CJ want to visit UK. I know Self has a plan and I know he will do what is best for the program, but from the outside looking in, I say: let's get Lance at KU and go win the Big 12 and the championship!

chicagoeddie 11 years, 3 months ago

you know what would piss me off? if we did get x and his brother and was a fluke in college or got injured.... i would fly to lawrence to kick his a$$...

we got solid recruits coming in, loaded team. bring in lance and its the cherry on top!

rock chalk!

4jhawks4ku 11 years, 3 months ago

Collins- Warrior Stephenson-Warrior Aldrich- Warrior MC Morris- Warrior

These guys can go to battle for Rock Chalk Country. Sign em and lets get the h*** out of Dodge.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 3 months ago

Maybe I'm just superstitous, but I spent five great years at a University of Kansas Scholarship Hall. I made friends for a lifetime and still can remember my arguments about the sacrifice bunt with Bill James. The name of that hall??............

STEPHENSON!!!!!!!

Bentleybook 11 years, 3 months ago

I really tired of Stephenson and X/CJ talk. How about we talk Elijah Johnson, he looks like he could really come in and steal some mintues, Plus He goes to Kentucky Wears a KU shirt. After I saw that who care about the drama Kings Stephenson and Henrys.... I looking forward to Johnson, Robinson and Withey. Adding to a Team that won the Big 12. Hearing Rock Chalk Championship on more time

GabrielMichael 11 years, 3 months ago

Sign Stephenson. He's a great player and he wants to play for a 'winner' at Kansas. We've had a good run with NY/NJ guards... let's keep that tradition going...

RockChalk1982 11 years, 3 months ago

At first I didn't want a OAD. But then I read a post on ESPN that said, even if they are at KU for one year and for that one year they bring you a championship who cares. Then thinking about it, why not! What do I care if they bring us a banner to hang!

With the X vs. Lance deal. I believe Lance wanted to play for KU all along. He just knew with Coach Cal leaving that KU would want to go after X again. I do not think that KU put him on hold b/c of the website thing. I would LOVE to see us just sign the kid that wanted to wear the KU uniform from the very beginning. X dumped us once before and I think he is getting ready to do it again! What is the saying "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice"??

HCBS I have total confidence you know what you are doing... Get Lance get this over with so we can concentrate on the NOW vs the What if.

On another note lets not forget about the 2 guys we have coming in. EJ wow!! You look amazing and I think you will do great things at KU, Mr. Robinson...you look like a beast on the boards. Let's go to battle!

Rock Chalk

barchawk 11 years, 3 months ago

Forget X. Just the loose association with William Wesley makes me cringe. He's one-and-done, for sure.

Lance will fill the hole in the middle of our lineup perfectly, and get us at least back to the FF. He'll give us mental toughness when things get rough in conference play. A guy like X will just start thinking about his draft status.

The way I figure, Elijah Johnson will fill Arthur's shoes from 2008 just fine, Tyshawn has filled Mario's role nicely, and now we just need a B Rush-Type player like Lance to mirror the look of the National Champ team, and hopefully their results as well...

Brett Forreal 11 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, I agree X is gone and good bye! Don't come back ya hear. I think there is something seriously wrong with the used car salesman now at UK. Something is just not right and he has X and especially CJ lured in. He always has. I think he has made false promises and will screw the two over, especially CJ and I can't say I really care. Calipari has always had them lured in and has already screwed them over once. Can't stand the guy, especially after his post game comments after KU beat them last year in the title game. Never once if I can remember did he say we got beat by a great team like most other respected coaches do. All he could say was that Collins was fouled on the last play with Mario. It will be pretty funny if the UK program tanks under him. Just hilarious.
Bring on Lance. The guy has got heart and wants to win like above posts have said. Please sign him before he gets tired of being jacked around by us(KU) and goes elsewhere. Cut the chord with X. He has got such a big head and could care less about college. Yes, Lance may have a big head but he wants to win and is "passionate" about it. Self will deal with any behavior or attitude ego Lance brings. He won't put up with that. X doesn't even want to win in college. Just put up huge numbers and move on. All about the $ to X. "College is a business deal to X." X is not coming like I said that Collins and Cole are coming back and they are. Lance may even come back for a second year, like Rush and his gang did. Hearts win championships and Lance has a heart that wants to win. He has said this several times. Cole and Collins have heart. There coming back to win it all again. Sign Lance! He wants to come to KU. All X will do is jack up 3s all year and won't care if KU gets a second ring in 3 years. X and Calipari are a lot alike. All about the hype and show and $. Didn't do Calipari much good before Memphis and not really at Memphis either. Hopefully X will be aware of this but I afraid it is too late for X. I think X's dad wants him to come to KU bec. his heart unlike X's was in the college came at KU and not in the business deal of the NBA. Again X is gone, and hopefully Lance I'm pretty sure is coming. KU is going to be tough next season. That includes Lance. Wouldn't it be nice if all blue chips recruits had the passion to win and be champions like Lance. The heart like E. Johnson coming in. I mean man waving a KU shirt like he did in Kentucky land. Wow, that is passion to win right there! Gives me goosebumps.

Greg Lux 11 years, 3 months ago

Sign someone I am running out of xanax !!!

jlbird85 11 years, 3 months ago

Agreed, I'd love to hear the student section break out the "from....NEW YORK, NEW YORK" during the starting lineup announcements.

hawk_of_ages 11 years, 3 months ago

There sure are a lot of armchair psychologists on these message boards. It's amazing how you guys can glean a player's whole personality profile from a few comments in a chat room Q&A.

I can't believe all the whining and negativity here. Give it a rest. X isn't "stringing us along" -- he's making a tough decision. If we can get the #1 recruit in the country -- who's also a KU legacy -- I'd say that just might be worth waiting for.

Brett Forreal 11 years, 3 months ago

Yep, very nice article and hits this saga right between the eyes. Everyone should read this article linked above in the KC star. It is so true.

RockChalkJayBlog 11 years, 3 months ago

FreddyD, don't you dare call Mike DeCourcy an idiot. He wrote that piece before those players declared.

PAHAWK1 11 years, 3 months ago

X had 18 years to decide. He has been recruited for last several years by HCBS. He has attended several games at AFH. CJ was offered a schollie to play at Kansas. Please do not be disillusioned by Henrys. These guys are not coming to KU. We lost Snaer and Cheek because of X's drama in the early signing period and we may lose Lance.

Paul Mitten 11 years, 3 months ago

We've already won a championship with a two-and-done as the leading scorer in the title game. OAD is just the next step. What's to be afraid of?

Brett Forreal 11 years, 3 months ago

X is not coming and we need to move on. Like the article in the KC star states. He doesn't want to play at KU. He has had eighteen hears to already commit to KU. He likes the slim at UK and X is just that type of person. All about $ from the heart from the start. Go get Lance if it is not already too late.

Jaminrawk 11 years, 3 months ago

I'm not gonna pine for any of the remaining recruits and I honestly don't think they hope we all are. People need to lay off. It's basketball guys. The fact he wants to keep his family together is more indicative of good parenting than anything. If he comes great, if he doesn't, oh well. I get the feeling Lance still wants to come to KU. Self visitied him to surely let him know that he is still welcome at any time.

Cole and Sherron are back. KU is going to be a monster next year. I just hope these guys remember, if you aren't with us, you are against us. Nothing personal when we stomp your other choice in the tournament. If you REALLY want to win a national championship, you play for a coach that has the resume. Bill Self is that guy.

TexasHawk44 11 years, 3 months ago

jayhawkinati: Thanks for the link! That is good stuff. I agree with all of the stuff about X at this point. I hope he is wrong about Lance. I wish we would not have put him on "hold". Hopefully, we can still land him. I still don't see him as OAD. I really think he will be a two year Jayhawk if he comes...

TexasHawk44 11 years, 3 months ago

I am not pining for any recruit either but I am hoping that Lance still comes to KU. We already most people's pick for pre-season #1 without X or Lance. But if we can add a very talented wing like Lance, we will only be that much strong. Having a strong third scoring option at the wing would be great!

Either way, we have a good shot at the Final Four and a Nat. Championship going into the year... Very exciting stuff!

Timmay97 11 years, 3 months ago

How can the Henry's even go to UK. They are worse than us with scholarships. We have one to give......does UK? I thought they were already 1 over. And I haven't heard officially that Orton wants his release.

Brett Forreal 11 years, 3 months ago

If Meeks and Patterson stay, Orton I think will be forced out. Pining for recruits? We need a 3rd scoring option for a chance to win it all next year. I hate to say this but we do. We just don't have the third gun yet, maybe Johnson or Thomas. Yet to be determined. So, the answer heck ya we are. We don't want to take any chances. It was a gift from god that the two big guns are back and we need a third to make a huge run at a NC. X is not coming again folks. Lance I hope still is.

Mike Crosbie 11 years, 3 months ago

What a year we're going to have. The football team should go bowling again, and with the talent leaving fizzou, should/could win the North. the basketball team could/should be a lock for the final four. All the buzz is exciting.

BUT.... last time I remember such lofty expectations was 1997, when we were the national consensus to "win it all" It was such a letdown when it didn't happen. I truely believe FB and BB will both be at the top this next season, but instead of "expecting" it, let's just stay behind them and enjoy the ride, wherever it leads.

Rock Chalk ChampionHawk !!!!!

Joel Hood 11 years, 3 months ago

It would be very interesting if CJ & X went to UK. The only place they could "play" together next year is Memphis, unless CJ gets the NCAA waiver. W/O the waiver, UK is in the same boat as KU - CJ becomes a redshirt walk-on. IMO, the entire "play together" rationale is moot - CJ will only be a practice player even with the NCAA waiver. Both KU & UK will have too much talent for CJ to see any real game time. But, he might see real playing time at Memphis. So in realilty, that is the only place where CJ & X could "play together." [perhaps I've become Master of the Obvious]

RockChalk1982 11 years, 3 months ago

How many days were in between the 2 transfers and when Cole and Sherron annouced they were coming back? Maybe HCBS just wants them seperated out evenly so it seems like he didn't have this all planned out from the beginning.

InfiniteJ 11 years, 3 months ago

drgnslayr is as wishy washy as the Henry bros, one minute he's on Henry's jock, the next he's on Stephenson's....then Orton's.....and on a side note, Stephenson is a total one-and-done player, anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool.

Brett Glover 11 years, 3 months ago

That would be one of the BIG decision factors if I were to pick a school, I don't know about you all but that would that's important

And if you didn't notice he states that the tradition part of the school doesnt matter to him. He obviously is going to play for the name on the back of his jersey than on the name on the front wherever he goes

Stephenson it is

I respect X, and if we do infact get him and his brother i'll be happy for us, but i would rather have born ready any day.

FaceSlappable 11 years, 3 months ago

rcjh22 11 years, 3 months ago

The Henrys are not coming to KU. That's the truth. Get over it. Bring in Lance and let them cry in Kentucky while we cut down the nets.

NewtonJayhawker 11 years, 3 months ago

Lets all get over these wishy-washy clowns, get Lance, and win another title!! Tell X and the Yankee to take a hike to Calitucky, we don't want ya!!

NewtonJayhawker 11 years, 3 months ago

If you don't have the stones to commit to the best program in the Country, You dang sure don't have the stones to win it all!!! Go to Calitucky, see ya!

Dan Pawlowski 11 years, 3 months ago

“If Kansas coach Bill Self is able to land one or more of the remaining unsigned All-Americans, look for this class to leapfrog into the top 10 and for Kansas to maintain its place as one of the premier programs in the country,” ESPN.com assessed." Maintain? Pure BS from someone wanting to "maintain" whatever status they have in the sports world. Too bad Kansas has been elite longer the ESPN has been around. Maintain my @## . We are elite , we have been elite and we will continue to be elite long after the sun has set on ESPN.

Joe Baker 11 years, 3 months ago

I really don't think Henry is coming. I really hate to admit that but it's true. I thought X would have committed immediately after the UK/Memphis coaching change. I also think if X was signing with KU he would have done it immediately after being released from Memphis. The ONLY hold out is CJ's appeal. I really think X wants UK and CJ wants KU. If he gets the appeal, CJ will lead Lance to KU. I don't want him to be unhappy. This kid needs to grow up and make some decisions. Lastly, Lance stated during his visit of the Nebraska game in the Phog that "I will be back..." CRAP...that was a freakin' verbal. Robinson and EJ didn't have any reservations, Withey freakin' transferred in the middle of the season, Wooldridge verbally committed as a Fresh/Soph in high school. CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!! X DOES NOT WANT TO ATTEND KU...PLEASE SOMEONE TELL HIM TO REMOVE KU AS A CHOICE! Self get Lance NOW!! I understand Maryland has been removed from Lance's choices, HELLO! Lance has all but signed on the dotted line. Danny Manning GET HIM NOW! Orton is following the same crazy path as X.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Tony Bandle 11 years, 3 months ago

MAYBE HC Bill Self has no intention of getting the Henrys. MAYBE HC Bill Self is making sure that Lance's website is NCAA compliant. MAYBE HC Bill Self knows some things the rest of us don't know. MAYBE WE should trust our National Coach of the Year to resolve this situation MAYBE WE should all chill a little.......naw, this is too fun!!!

If Lance is ookee-dookee with the NCAA, he'll be here. After all, per my previous post.............he already has a building on campus named after him!!!!!

jncarlsbad 11 years, 3 months ago

We need a wing player that can shoot! Self please stop messing around with the Henry's, if they wanted to go to KU they would of committed by now. Just get Lance and be over it.

4jhawks4ku 11 years, 3 months ago

Self can turn Lance into a man just like he did Collins and Rush. Sign him up and let HCBS work his magic...

Joe Baker 11 years, 3 months ago

I've always believed after seeing Lance's recruiting clips that he was blue collar, in your face and take no names kind of player. He gets physical on the court and won't lose the ball when bumped or doubled. The Morris twins, Lance, Sherron all bring a level of physical play that will keep teams honest. The only thing I doubt with drgnslayr is Orton. I totally agree with the big man theory, but it's difficult to call. Orton does like Self's personality and close family appeal. He just mentioned that Cali just came by and said, "I'm running on 5 hrs of sleep...just wanted to let you know that all is well"! What the crap is that mess? It's just like Taylor and the current Marquette coach. Crean left and Hurley encouraged Taylor to sign with KU after the stupid attempt to "reassure" Taylor. Thank you Coach Dooley for bringing Taylor to KU. These impersonal coaches could learn much from Self's personal appeal.

FairgroveJayhawk 11 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone have a grasp on when Self is able to contact and sign recruits? If I understand the NCAA web site correctly, April 13-16, 2009 is a 'Dead' time but through the 22nd of April is a 'Contact' period.

I enjoy the speculation but would like a reference on when an anouncement could be made as to signing.

Anyone....

GabrielMichael 11 years, 3 months ago

Don't forget Lance called KU to see if they were interested first! That says something about him!

Both of the Henry's have already 'dogged' KU once.

TexasHawk44 11 years, 3 months ago

InfiniteJ:

I don't think that anyone who thinks Lance is anything other than an OAD is a "fool". Same wisdom was out there with Arthur and Rush. A lot of "fools" were right about them playing more than one year. Lance is an incredible talent, but he is nowhere listed on the 2010 draft sites. Henry is in the top 10 in the two that I looked at. I am not saying that Lance won't be OAD. I know his mindset is to be OAD but that doesn't mean it will happen. Some people called "scouts" will have a lot to do with that.

All I am saying is that I think Lance is a better bet at being a two year player than X. Maybe they will both be OAD. But I don't think it is "foolish" to believe that Lance could possibly play two years.

Before you start calling people "fools" you need to have some pretty strong evidence. If you have something to make me "foolish", then post the evidence and I will eat crow. But unless you are a NBA GM, head coach or owner, I would keep the mudslinging to a minimum.

Just my "foolish" opinion...

TexasHawk44 11 years, 3 months ago

FairgroveJayhawk:

For recruits entering school for the 2009-10 academic year, the signing dates are as follows:

Initial Signing Date              Final Signing Date

Early Period November 12, 2008 November 19, 2008 Regular Period April 15, 2009 May 20, 2009

100 11 years, 3 months ago

X is worth the wait. He had a bunch of friends at Memphis. Only a few would remain at UK now. His entire college career has been turned upside down.

Give the kid a chance. Once he sees Cal for who he is and realizes UK, even with him, will have little depth and not much continuity.

In short with this mismash of Gillespie & Cal players, including five (that's right five) who aren't sure if they will play there next year, banking on UK being a good fit for X next year is like betting Dorthy could take one of those flying monkeys in a bare knuckle wrestling match.

Give X a chance. He's an intelligent kid who is making the right decision to see what UK has. He should see what we already know -- it's a shakey, desperate, thin benched, mafia run program, thanks to the guys Cal has to use to "recruit".

If we can all have some patience, he'll make a reasonable choice that makes sense.

We all know the best choice (he wants to run next year???)

It's a question if he'll figure it out.

Make no mistake, X belongs here.

RCJ

Jaminrawk 11 years, 3 months ago

My thinking just that CJ is deciding for both simply because where ever he goes, little bro follows. If Calipari gets them on campus, he will stop at nothing to keep them. That is the fact. I would hope that they could realize that KU is going to be a better option for them if they want to win next year. Even with Meeks and Patterson UK was an NIT loser. Cousins and Xavier would improve the team but I still think playing next to Cole and Sherron is way better. On top of that, if CJ thinks he will ever get a legitimate shot at starting for Cal, he's fooling himself. Cal is going to go hard after the best PG every year. Self has actually shown a willingness to play guys that work hard (Morningstar, Moody, Reed, Jackson).

All I KNOW, is that whatever recruit does choose KU, they are in for the ride of their lives next year and not some hyped up second round burnout. Kentucky stabs coaches in the back and is never satisfied with on-court production. Good luck.

TexasHawk44 11 years, 3 months ago

100: How is X going to suddenly see Cal for who he is, when he already signed with him at Memphis? What exactly will have changed? His address?

I would like X to play for us, no question. But right I would love Lance to sign. We need to get one of these kids if we can. I viewed some video on Lance again at lunch and say what you will about his attitude or whatever, but the kid has crazy skills. He is a very, very strong player. Maybe X is better. Only time will tell that. But KU cannot lose either way. KU can, however, lose if they end up with neither of them. That would suck after all this drama.

In the end, I honestly think KU can win a title without either X or Lance, but I think having one of them would make it much easier. It would be really nice to have a legit blue chip wing.

Ben Kliewer 11 years, 3 months ago

Sure it'd be great to land Xavier...but really, if you look at Johnson and Stephenson...you don't sacrifice anything losing any one of these three and gaining another of them. Hopefully Lance Stephenson will work out better than Deshawn Stevenson did. But Elijah is, from what I can tell, just as good.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 3 months ago

As far as Lance being a "OAD," apparently a pretty reliable draft site (www.nbadraft.net) doesn't believe so. I've kept an eye on this site and I've never seen him listed among those such as Wall, Cousins, X, and Favors (for 2010).

DoubleDD 11 years, 3 months ago

Lance is our boy. Self had to pander to the Henry family because of Mom and Dad, but its time to nip this thing in the butt. Nobody is bigger than Kansas B-Ball, not even Manning himself. The X at one time said it was Kansas and Memphis now its Kentucky, Kansas, give me a break its CJ. Where CJ goes the X will follow bottom line. CJ isn't coming to KU and neither is X. CJ will be a bench warmer at KU period and he knows it. If you ask me CJ is using his brother the X to get some playing time. "You know if you give me some playing time I'll get my brother to sign with UK". It's nothing against the Henry family but quit abusing your family ties with KU. If you don't want to come to KU then don't. We will cut down the nets without you.

Born Ready you got your name because of your skills and heart. Kansas is the breeding ground of all that is college basketball. You were born ready just recently Kansas was born long ago and has been waiting for you. Come and take your rightful place among Kansas greats where basketball was born.

100 11 years, 3 months ago

TexasHawk44:

You make very valid points.

All I'm saying is to put yourself in X's shoes for one minute.

He's a thoughtful kid. Maybe he will follow Cal. Maybe he won't.

This trip to Lexington will more than likely be the deciding factor. As strange as it is to think, UK has nothing compared to what Memphis had, as far as X is (will be) concerned. That town is like being sentenced to death row, walking the green mile every day. The "fun" spirit Memphis' campus is no more. His "best friends" are all but a shell now at UK. Three perhaps? He was looking forward to "the group" of thirteen. Plus Cal. Plus the current head coach of Memphis. Plus Wesley. So nearly his entire friend group he became close with over the last year is gone.

And Cal's "free spirit" is somehow tainted and guarded now. It's Lexington. Can't explain why. Maybe it's the 32 mill. Maybe it's that all of his phone calls are now monitored. Maybe it's because he can't walk down the hall on his cell phone without being chased. Maybe it's because if he wins only 22 games next year he knows he'll be coaching at Memphis again. Maybe it's because he knows his bench will be about as deep as the Ocean in Kansas.

Whatever Cal's salespitch to X, it will be much more fictionalized this time.

1. They can't run fast next year (at least not like KU). He might try to sell it that way but he just doesn't have the numbers to do it.

2. X's NBA career flatout (no matter what he says) will not be made better by playing at UK next year. They will fall early. This is a transitionL year with ex NIT players learning the system. He can play on potentially an undefeated team next year that dominates ESPN top 10.

Or he can play with some NIT ball hogs who aren't taught any real NBA skills that they couldn't learn at a local rec center.

It's X's choice..

But let's cut him some slack KU fans...

Surely he'll be able to see which place is truly better for his game, his family, his friendships, his life, and his finger (ring)..

Come join us X -- Jayhawk nation wants you.

You'll never find a better place to be a hero in the Universe than Wilt Chamberlain fieldhouse...

DoubleDD 11 years, 3 months ago

Texashawk44 you've lost your mind. The mistake that KU fans like you keep making in regards to the X, is that you think of the X as one recruit. Though the X is one recruit he is playing where CJ is period. Where CJ goes the X follows. CJ will not be playing at KU, its not good for his future. What I mean is playing at KU will expose his lack of game, which means no big contract to play in the NBA. Self only plays the best period. I hardly think that CJ could even come close to cracking the starting lineup. Some will think I'm being hard on the X, however I don't have any harsh feelings with the X. Though I'll be pissed if he cost us Lance who wanted to come to KU. What X should be saying is where ever my brother goes I will follow instead of UH UH I want to play at Kansas but I'm going to check out Kentucky. This stringing along KU and its fan is just wrong.

brooksmd 11 years, 3 months ago

Hmmm, just looked at Zagsblog and he says Pastner at Memphis is now after Lance and Famous. I am trying to have faith in HCBS that he already has something up his sleeve and will soon pull the rabbit out of the hat, but at the same time I'm beginning to wonder if we are gonna loose out on both X and Lance. Zagsblog also says in the same entry that Lance is down to to St Johns and Kansas. Lance, come to Kansas.

DoubleDD 11 years, 3 months ago

Sorry Texashawk44 my previous comments were for 100???? (whatever that is) I agree with you anyone of these kids would be great. Though I'm leaning towards Born Ready more and more everyday.

CaramelMacchMan 11 years, 3 months ago

How can a guy still go visit UK after that coach just left on him?? ehhh!!

Robinson and Johnson is enough to win the NCAA title next year.

Lance! if you are reading this... I would call a press conference and tell the nation you are going to KU.

Carl Henry and family! you are always will be in Kansas family.

KUSmurf 11 years, 3 months ago

We can only hope we snag Lance out of this mess. Henry is long gone...again.

rcjh22 11 years, 3 months ago

GET LANCE!! I don't want to lose him. I think we all knew we weren't going to get X in the back of our mind. We just really wanted him.. but to think about it.. we sure as hell really want Lance. There has been question of his character but who doesn't have that questioned these days. Let's get Lance and have HCBS mentor him like every other player he has gotten and go win us a NC!

Spencer Goff 11 years, 3 months ago

I am so divorced of this, I am glad to see the rest of Jayhawk nation is arriving there.

Look, this kid does what his older brother wants him to do, and part of that is because he looks up to the older brother so much. So Calipari knew who to recruit, not Xavier, but CJ.

And lets look at CJ's track record of committing:

Commits to KU, leaves to play baseball because it is a career move. He plays shortstop for 102 games, has an on-base avg of .238. Realizes he is not going to get called up anytime soon. Bails on baseball insteading of working on it like every other person that stays in the minors dreaming to make the big leagues.

Calipari realizes he wants his brother to come to school at Memphis, so he promises CJ that he is going to start, be elite, and a great basketball player. He eats that up like potato chips, signs at Memphis. I wonder if he consulted with Xavier as often as Xavier consults with him.

(As a side note, it is funny to me to see people go to Calipari's system to prepare them for the NBA, do people not watch the NBA? Everybody can score and run the floor in their prime, the elites play defense as well. And you don't win in the playoffs without being able to run a half-court set, just watch next week, I promise. It's true. And don't give me Derrick Rose as the shining example, that kid only went to college because he had to, he could have played at Johnson County and went to the pros. Cal didn't "develop" that. Look at the pros Self has currently playing, go back to Illinois, the list is impressive and ever-growing.)

CJ has had trouble sticking to anything. Yet he has had more opportunities than 99% of the young populace. And now they are going to visit Cal?

Self needs to get off his ass, call Lance, get him signed, and move on with life. He has pipe dreams in his eyes right now and is dazed from the good news Sherron and Cole gave him.

An earlier poster made a fantastic point, if he was concerned about a title, then why would Cole and Sherron not factor into a decision?

I don't hate the kid, and would help him up if he fell or needed a hand changing a tire, but don't sell out your program for him, he doesn't know what he really wants, and his older brother has his ballz firmly squared away in his purse.

And don't gimme that "So his parents can attend one single game." reason. I think his parents would make due if needed, and I doubt the KU alum would be letting them miss too many games if they had to split duty.

All his reasons are wishy-washy. Remember what Robert the Bruce said to his father as he left? "You're not a man!" That applies here. Sign with Kentucky like you have intended, follow your brother, and see where that gets you. Man up.

Bring me Lance, the guy with some rocks in his pants.

Oh, and for a good time, youtube search Willie Warren, watch the Xman gobble some cajones as he gets jammed on. Classic...

100 11 years, 3 months ago

KU Posters -- loosen up. Either would certainly be great.

EVen ESPN says we're the front runner for X.

It seems like a fantom poster got on this site to mess with KU fans.

ESPN says he's ours. So why not just relax and let himsee what UK has to offer and support him no matter what decision he makes.

1. KU will run so much faster than UK next year so that "Memphis" salespitch is gone.
  2. If he comes to KU he walks onto a preseason #1 team with the starting spot -- of course the only difference here is he'll have to earn it in practice.

So the question is simply: does he want to win a national championship ring before the NBA or not?

(and yes, CJ's input is important too to X, but let's face it, X is getting more of a pull in this brotherly relationship by the day).

So relax -- we're the frontrunners right now -- trust our coach!

100 11 years, 3 months ago

<p>FoxSports.com has us #1.

They, a conservative reporting group, like ESPN, have X as a "probable" in the lineup.

Spencer Goff 11 years, 3 months ago

OK, 100, I will lighten up. I promise to not hold anything against him, I reread my post and it sounds like I am aggressive to the kid because, after all, Robert the Bruce hated his father. Of course, I would have hated his dad too, the sonuvabeech killed William Wallace... You don't live that down.

But I stand by the gist of my comments, I don't like that Stephenson has had to back up his life because of Henry. And part of that is on Bill Self as much as Henry. When you enroll as a freshman here, they make your parents take a hike, and that is because they want the student to decide for themselves. I think Henry needs to put the brother outside (Cal's guy), put the parents outside (our guys), and just think to himself what he would like to do with his time. If anything, his brother is like that friend from high school you NEED to get away from so you both can grow.

Do you all remember when he put on the Memphis hat on TV? It seemed so forced. It seemed like he wasn't sure about it at all. Something just did not sit right with me.

I also hope that coach didn't pull a Calipari-like move and encourage the transfer of two young men because he wanted to free up scholarships. I expect that from Kentucky, I expect Calipari will "encourage" other people seek playing time elsewhere if it looks like the Henry's will play there. I trust Coach Self, more than virtually every coach that walks this earthen soil.

Calipari? I think that guy would sell his Mom if he could get a kid that would win him games.

Discuss, please.

yates33333 11 years, 3 months ago

Almost all coaches want to win and make unusual deals. But, "sell his Mom." Calipari has KU roots. I think a few KU fans are grossly unfair to him. He is a first class coach, has good teams, and does a good job. He will have more trouble winning as consistently in the SEK than he has had in his current conference. but when he plays KU or the old Big 8 teams, except for Missouri, I hope he wins. Just as I hope all these coaches who have touched on KU win and this includes Texas A&M, right now, and any other I don''t know who has a KU connection. I even hope "Ole Roy" wins unless he is playing Coach K, who along with Bill Self has one of the cleaner programs in BB.

I, also, think we ought to give more slack to the Henry boys. What if they come to KU? Carl was an outstanding talent and wore the crimson and blue with honor. They should make their own bed because they will have to sleep in it. Although Dragonsly makes a good case, I hope they sleep in Lawrence in the same dorm as Stephenson. Impossible probably, but I hope.

KU fans need to stick together. Too damn many other schools hate us. Envy us?

CRIMSONnBLUE 11 years, 3 months ago

While drgnslayr always brings up valid points, I still don't think it matters either way. Of course we all want to see every player that comes to KU be as loyal and smart as Aldrich and Collins. But in reality neither X or Lance would have much interest in college if they could go straight to the NBA. Not to crush everyones newly found infatuation with Lance but he goes by the nickname "born ready" and even has a website bornready.tv I mean come on. Collins is from Chicago so he's tough but he's also humble. I live in NY and I've been to the city many many times and let me tell you most people down there have a whole different attitude. In one of the videos on HIS OWN website there is a scene of him practically getting into a fist fight with another guy on the court. Remind you of anyone? Maybe the Morris twins? I give them a lot of credit. The have changed their attitudes since showing up at KU and they have only begun to turn into the great players they can be. I don't doubt that both of them will play all the way through their senior year. But the addition of Lance and his headstrong do-it-all attitude I think would mess up the connectedness that Collins has instilled in this team. I really don't think he would fit in. Plus I think after getting the first year out of the way and getting a feel for what it's like to be expected to make a deep run in the tourney, Reed, Morningstar, and Taylor will all begin to really shine. We really don't need anyone else. I'm more excited about the 2011 prospects. Has anyone even looked at that list yet? Wow!

DoubleDD 11 years, 3 months ago

Crimson n Blue I think your fears are a little unwarrented when it comes to Lance. It's not because of Lance cuz your right he is trouble, but its Self. I don't know what it is about Self but he just turns these kids around. I don't know about you but since Self is come on board I've started to see a steady stream of inner city kids, especially at the guard positions. These kids are often tagged as trouble makers and lazy which really isn't fair. With a lack of guidance (which is the case so often) a young man is bound to make bad choices. Just look at how Collins has prospered under the leadership of Self. Bill Self runs a basketball factory not a one and done nightly show like Cal. You can see the NBA moving towards Self's players. Just look at last year the NBA took 5 players from KU. These players weren't chosen cause they where the best at their positions, yet cause Self has taught them the game of basket: how to play defense, play to your strenghts and most of all being a role player which is very crucial playing in the league.

yates333 Cal might become a great coach now that he is holding the reins at Kentucky. However what worked at Memphis won't work at UK though. UK faithful will get tired of the one and done show with sweet 16 exits every year. I don't care what anybody says you don't cut down the nets with a team full of freshman that have every intention of going to the league the following year. Cal's style is to recruit the best players, and just let them play. This might have worked in the CUSA (with no teams to match the talent level). However, in the SEC there will be teams that can and will match up with UK.

rockchalk10jk 11 years, 3 months ago

who else thinks that cal cheats to get recruits. cause i think he is a big time crook. and i cant wait o see the day when he gets busted. my personal opinion. tell me if you feel the same.

rockchalk10jk 11 years, 3 months ago

who else thinks that cal cheats to get recruits. cause i think he is a big time crook. and i cant wait to see the day when he gets busted. my personal opinion. tell me if you feel the same.

justanotherfan 11 years, 3 months ago

I hate to sound like a Cal apologist (which I'm not) or a Memphis fan (also not), but seriouisly, two things:

1. Calipari is a top notch college coach. Honest truth, he is top notch. He won one way at UMass (pounding the ball into the post), went to the NBA, reinvented his style, and now he's won a completely different way at Memphis (dribble drive motion). Consistently successful in his only two collegiate stops (UMass, Memphis). Cal's teams have gone to 2 Final Fours (once at UMass, once at Memphis) 3 Elite Eights (one at UMass, two at Memphis) and two Sweet Sixteens (one each). In 17 seasons at non-BCS conference schools, that's 7 trips to the Sweet Sixteen at minimum. I doubt you will find another non-BCS resume that strong.

2. Calipari has never run a "one and done" program at Memphis. Sure, he has had several high profile one and done players, but so what. That's what happens when you recruit top 5 level players in this era of college basketball. Nobody has said Ohio State is a one and done type program, but they have had more OAD's than Memphis the last few years (Oden, Conley, Koufas, likely Mullens this year) vs. (Dajuan Wagner, Rose, likely Evans this year). Further, Calipari has always filled his teams with program guys. Remember Marcus Camby, Donta Bright, Lou Roe, Jim McCoy, Dana Dingle, Edgar Padilla and Carmelo Travieso? All four year guys at UMass under Calipari.

I've posted this before, but look at last year's Memphis team, and this year's Memphis team. Junior and senior laden. 08-09 had seniors Antonio Anderson and Robert Dozier. Juniors Willie Kemp, Doneal Mack, Shawn Taggart and Pierre Henderson Niles. Only one soph (Roburt Sallie) and one frosh (Evans) even in the regular rotation this year. 07-08 had seniors Andre Allen and Joey Dorsey, juniors Chris Douglas-Roberts, Anderson and Dozier and sophs Taggart, Kemp, Niles and Mack. Rose was the only freshman to play significant minutes. That model probably mimics just about every program in the country.

I know people on here hate Cal and hate Memphis, but at least look at the facts. Cal isn't a one and done factory. For every Derrick Rose or Tyreke Evans, there is a Joey Dorsey and an Antonio Anderson, along with a Doneal Mack and a Willie Kemp.

rcjh22 11 years, 3 months ago

rockchalk10jk - I totally agree with you. I've hated him ever since I saw him. His cheating can go on at Memphis but once he gets going in Kentucky something will leak and he will get in big time trouble.

bvtigers76 11 years, 3 months ago

Here's the thing rockchalk10jk- I agree with you in the essence that there's something about Calipari that seems off, but how much of the entire jayhawk fanbase hates him out of jealousy? I am a hardcore KU fan to the core, but if you take a step back and look at how he almost gets arguably to best recruiting class in the history of college basketball at Memphis that includes one of our recruits, from an outside looking in vantage point it could seem that we're just angry out of spite and looking for the easiest solution to make us feel better. Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am, but it's just a thought. I still hate Cal though regardless, he does have a slimy quality to him. Anyway...Rock Chalk!