Monday, April 13, 2009

Relatives hint Aldrich, Collins will return

Kansas center Cole Aldrich puts his arm around guard Sherron Collins as the two make their way from the floor late in the second half against  Iowa State Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas center Cole Aldrich puts his arm around guard Sherron Collins as the two make their way from the floor late in the second half against Iowa State Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Tonight could be a huge night for Kansas University’s men’s basketball program.

Relatives of Cole Aldrich and Sherron Collins on Sunday night strongly hinted to the Journal-World that the two standouts will make statements about their future at the sold-out postseason KU hoops awards banquet, set for a 7 p.m. start at the Holidome.

Collins’ uncle, Walt Harris, and Aldrich’s dad, Walter Aldrich, strongly hinted that the two Jayhawks will reveal that they’ll be returning to KU instead of entering the 2009 NBA Draft.

“(The year) 2008 could be 2010. That’s all you are going to get out of me,” Collins’ uncle said Sunday night.

Uncle Walt admitted that was his way of saying the Jayhawks after tonight could be fully equipped to make a run for the 2010 national crown, as they did in ’08.

“Are you smiling now?” Walt Harris added with a laugh, offering another hint.

He indicated Collins’ mother, brother and aunt would be at the Holidome tonight for what could be a special occasion.

Meanwhile, Aldrich’s dad, Walter, responded, “I would say, yes,” asked if he believed Cole would reveal his future plans to the banquet crowd.

And what would Cole’s decision be?

“I know what it is. I think you know what it is,” Walter Aldrich said good-naturedly.

The Journal-World and St. Paul Pioneer Press both recently quoted Walter Aldrich as saying Cole “probably” would be back for his junior campaign.

Walter Aldrich and his wife won’t attend the banquet.

“We can’t make it,” he said. “Hopefully they’ll videotape it and we can watch it later.”

Draftexpress.com has indicated for some time that Collins and Aldrich would be returning to KU. ESPN.com and other sites also have heard no buzz about the two seriously considering entering the draft. Draftexpress.com lists Aldrich the fourth overall pick and Collins No. 22 overall in the 2010 Draft. It’s believed Aldrich would be a first-rounder, Collins a second-rounder if they entered the 2009 Draft.

Comments

RockChalkJayBlog 10 years, 9 months ago

Pretty good news for KU fans if this is true.

David Hall 10 years, 9 months ago

there a feel that they will be back at ku

Derek Conway 10 years, 9 months ago

If this is true, I hope that each and every single person evolved with KU basketball is hungry enough and does everything they can to win another national championship next year. Lets work some more magic Jayhawks!

Dirk Medema 10 years, 9 months ago

Aldrich (Withey) Marcus/Markieff/Robinson Xavier/Mario/Travis Tyshawn/Brady/Tyrel Sherron/Elijah/CJ

Seems a shame that Coach Self only plays 8 under normal circumstances.

Hawkin8r 10 years, 9 months ago

Wow! I bet this announcement will preclude another big one involving Lance/X-CJ/Wall/??? .

Has everyone seen the 360 between the legs dunk by Elijah?

And another 360... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsQGeB...

We are going be be SERIOUSLY loaded next year. These guys are going to be very hungry.

Lance Hobson 10 years, 9 months ago

Aldrich and Collins coming back is like landing the best two recruits in the nation!

ParisHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

@dagger108 re: Self only plays 8

Generally true, but if the roster is loaded Self may just come up with something new to exploit all the talent.

I remember the Simien days: slow down to rest Wayne, get him touches every possession, listen to critics moan with nostalgia for Roy's speed teams.

Then Simien is injured and a whole new offense appears.

Fast forward to the championship year with varied defenses, fast breaks mixed with an efficient half-court offense, balanced scoring and gobs of lobs, and recall the squeaks about not having a "go-to" guy.

Now remember this past year with the go-two guys.

Self can adjust. Look forward, if we're loaded, to seeing what he will come up with next.

Michael Pannacciulli 10 years, 9 months ago

Nice. Love watching both play. We will need them both since neither X or Lance will be here. And if they do come, these guys can hopefully keep egos in check and keep their eye on the prize.

I hope the Morris twins come in next year more focused and stay eligible! Taylor I hope gets stronger. Releford gets some of Little's feistyness, and Morningstar gets even deadlier and more consistent from downtown. Those are my wishes for 09-10.

NYhawk13 10 years, 9 months ago

This would make my week/spring/summer/etc if they both come back. 2010 would be a very special season :)

keith horinek 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm guessing that after tonite's banquet the dominos will begin to fall. Rock Chalk!

yates33333 10 years, 9 months ago

If Collins returns I doubt Xavier or Stephenson will come. I wonder what Collins can do that will improve his standing in the draft next year? Maybe he will distribute the ball better, or his teammates will accept it and shoot. This might make him more acceptable to the pros as a point guard. Dallas has a small point guard who is very good, and there have been several others. I wish him luck.

Tribehawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm not sure if this will affect our recruitment of Lance or X, but I'd rather have Sherron as a senior for one year than either as a freshman for one year.

RonBurgandy 10 years, 9 months ago

kushaw (anonymous) says... 2011 could be a rough year! LOL!

We thought that about 2009 too, and look how that turned out!

It is great to be a KU fan.

Sally Presson 10 years, 9 months ago

Oh, my I sure hope so--everyone's a winner, KU and Sherron and Cole. One more year with Coach Self will get the boys ready for the NBA and KU will have a serious run at another national championship. Thanks Sherron & Cole, we just aren't ready to give you boys up. Another year as a Jayhawk will do everyone so much good.!!!

Rock Chalk

rawkhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

It would be great to have the leadership of Sherron and Cole again next year. This would be an important key to a championship run. To potential KU recruits...you have a chance to be part of history and a national championship (unlikely to happen at Kentucky next year)...come join Jayhawk nation! Rock Chalk!

Thomas Michaud 10 years, 9 months ago

Fantastic news!!! Hopefully ;-)

@yates33333 - why would Collins returning hurt our chances to land either X or "Born Ready"? Neither play his position and Collins would, I would hazard a guess, feel comfortable dishing to either player. Also, both, I would assume, would love to play alongside Cole--since he opens up the middle. It would be a great fit for either player--come in for (possibly) one year (have a tremendous opportunity to) win a championship and then head off to the NBA. While I'd hope either would stay at least two years, I'd never be so brazen to scold someone from following their dream.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I actually think that Collins and Aldrich coming back helps with the recruitment of Henry and/or Stephenson. They both want to play for a championship in what could be thier only season in college. Everyone is picking KU to win it all next year provided the big two come back. I would actually go as far as saying that if we lost Collins and/or Aldrich we would stand a better chance of losing the recruits to someone else.

Champs_R_Us 10 years, 9 months ago

First of all, this is excellent news. Even if we don't land X or Lance (I think we'll get Lance), I still believe with Collins and Aldrich back we will be the team to beat (only other contender was Syracuse, but Flynn and another player declared). The line-up possibilities are endless and I say it's time to throw out our FAVE 5, just like Wade and Barkley do for T-Mobile.

My fave 5: PG-Sherron SG-Tyshawn SF-Mario (with X or Lance possibly taking this spot) PF-Marcus C-Cole

My Big 5: PG-Sherron SG-Elijah SF-Marcus PF-Markieff, Thomas, Withey C-Cole

My fast five: PG-Tyshawn SG-Sherron SF-Elijah PF-Thomas C-Cus' or Kief'

Self has more options than in any year past, including the 08' team. I'm not saying that were as talented at every position, just that we can wear teams out with our depth like Michigan State did this past season. Except we will have a much more potent and effective offense and hopefully a slightly improved defensive team. Let's just hope this rumor is true!

Ann Oneill 10 years, 9 months ago

Yates, I think Collins can improve his stock by making better decisions on the court. He took a step in the right direction this year, but when he takes it to the hoop going 1 on 4, I can only see disaster happening.

TexasHawk44 10 years, 9 months ago

Jaminrawk:

I agree. I think Cole and Collins coming back helps us in our recruiting. It doesn't hurt us. We have one scholarship and it will go to either Lance or X. I am sure Self has some sort of backup plan if we land neither. This announcement may start the ball rolling for real on finalizing the recruiting. At least, I hope so. Lance had his visit to St. John's this past weekend. So maybe that will move things along. The Henrys continue to say that they won't decide anything for at least another week or so. I am curious to see if Self and KU wait around on Henry or will move on Lance -- assuming Lance is still on the table. I am just ready for this circus to be over. Even without X or Lance, KU will be VERY STRONG next year if Cole and Collins are truly coming back. Johnson and Robinson are very good recruits and Withey was a top 35 player coming out of HS. With the twins hopefully developing and improving, and Taylor and Little with more time under their belt, we should be very deep and very good. I agree with an above post: getting Cole and Collins back is like getting two top recruits -- actually better! It is an exciting time to be a Jayhawk! If we do land X or Lance it will be icing on a potential Championship cake!

Mo Mosallaei 10 years, 9 months ago

Getting Sherron and Cole for next year is better than getting any other recruiting tandem. And if the team of Walter & Walter have confirmed it then that's good enough for me.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 9 months ago

If Sherron and Cole's return mean we lose any and all of the late-commits, then I'm all for it!!!

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I agree C&C returning will help with recruiting. Their return has been an unknown which has been useful for HCBS to pospone making commitments and decisions. Their announcements tonight will solidify the situation. Self made a couple recruiting trips last week, my guess telling the recruits what would be happening tonight and what their roles at KU would be if they choose to sign.

Hopefully by the end of the week we'll know who's in or out with X and Stephenson. Both should be salivating at the though of playing for a team with national contender written all over them. There will be tons of air time to get their names out there.

Rock Chalk

kranny 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm not sure but I thought Stephenson was quoted as saying that Collins and Cole leaving would impact his decision because he wants to play with them.

chicagoeddie 10 years, 9 months ago

this week is going to be full or drama and fun to see what the outcome is. i hope coach is able to flow through the team like teh championship team having no one person but a consistent 5 on the floor at all times! =D

rock chalk!

TexasHawk44 10 years, 9 months ago

kranny: I seem to remember that too but would not swear on it.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Families hint of their return means about as much as Carl Henry saying CJ going to Memphis would have no impact on where X Man would commit the first time around.

Dear Families,

Please stop hinting. You sons need your love and advice, not your public hints.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

"I hope that each and every single person evolved with KU basketball..."--dmc8142

Now, I know the program has a long legacy, dmc8142, but I am not sure that it has been around long enough to trigger natural selection. ;-)

Just kidding. I know all about typos.

keith horinek 10 years, 9 months ago

Kranny, I do believe Lance Stephenson said he wanted to play with Sherron and Cole next year. With Tyrone and Q leaving that would clear up the scholarship problem. One thing that still puzzles me, what's with all the waiting and drama with these kids. Surely by now they have all done some kind of resarch on the top schools and coaches and know who and where they can get the most out of their college careers. If a kid knows what he wants and who can give it to them why not avoid all the hype and just make a decision? There's got to be more going on underneath that we don't see or hear.

Jason Roberts 10 years, 9 months ago

I agree with other posters that Collins and Aldrich's returns amount to two (2) five-star recruits. Or in this case, two OADs. We have a better chance of getting Orton than Wall due to Wall's "OAD" status. Best-case scenario for Wall is if he cracks the starting lineup and plays in a three-guard set with Collins and Xavier/Stephenson. Plus, it would put the screws on Taylor to cut down on his mistakes considerably as the addition of Wall and Elijah Johnson leave less room for error. As for Orton, a year of banging with the Morris Twins, Aldrich, Withey and Robinson would make him a virtual lock to be able to step up as a starter in his sophomore year.

Lance Stephenson's decision to narrow his choice of schools from three to two (KU, St. John's) this weekend is a great way for him to apply pressure on Xavier Henry to make a decision soon (Oh, to be a fly on the wall in the Stephenson household last Friday... ). I would not be surprised to see Lance pick KU a day or two after tonight's banquet if Collins and Aldrich say they return.

Its hard to look ahead, but I envision 2010-2011's starting five looking like this:

PG - Elijah Johnson SG - Tyshawn Taylor SF - Travis Releford PF - Markieff OR Marcus Morris C - Daniel Orton OR Thomas Robinson

CaramelMacchMan 10 years, 9 months ago

Lets get this rolling... Bracketology is back!!!!!!!!

this is perfect..

first two rounds in OKC Next two rounds in St.Louis and we have some unfinished bidness in Indy..

Lets make it 4!!!!!!!

CaramelMacchMan 10 years, 9 months ago

hahaha Bracketology has UK playing KU in second round... i thought that was funny.

TexasHawk44 10 years, 9 months ago

Orton is not coming to KU. That is my opinion.

TexasHawk44 10 years, 9 months ago

Oh yeah, and neither is Wall. Again, my opinion.

Juhin91 10 years, 9 months ago

Any chance of live online streaming of the banquet?

Joe Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

I know Sherron and Cole are back. I know Wall isn't coming, but I guarantee you Calipari is dying with Orton in the air. The Self and Gillespie relationship has Orton leaving UK and heading to KU. I think EJ and Robinson are two very special guys for the KU program. I see some possible back to backs in the Jayhawk nation future!! We could very well take two NC over the next 2-3 years. Bring on any team. I'm not sweating any team with this squad. The Jayhawks will DOMINATE! I want to surpass UNC and the other so-called elite title teams.

jazzhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Since everyone is feeling "predictable".........................

'09-'10 Starting 5:

PG - Sherron SG - Xavier SF - Mario PF - Marcus C - Cole

Two Seniors, One Junior, One Sophomore and a OAD. 5 current and future NBA candidates. Yikes! Can you say "experience pays off"? Can you say 2008?

Add to that list a "second five" that could get to the tourney on their own, and HCBS will have all the luxuries you need in order to hang another banner.

Also, I completely understand what you are saying, but to say getting Sherron and Cole back is like having two OAD's is nowhere near what they will bring to the floor. But I get your excitement.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

Michael Auchard 10 years, 9 months ago

This has pretty much been the buzz since the post-game interviews after the Michigan loss. I'm kind of surprised so many people are so excited/surprised. They've both said pretty much this quote on camera at least once since the game. "I don't know about the future, but the odds are I'm coming back next year. There's a chance it could be a really special year." Plus, Cole's dad's word has always been LAW if you read any article about him before he arrived on campus. Ever see Cole quoted? Very rarely.

On the one hand, though, it's kinda TMZ-esque to write an article based completely on speculation.

On the other, I really want KU BBall news to keep circulating for as long as possible so I can pretend the season is still going on.

Glad I have tickets. :)

Brett Glover 10 years, 9 months ago

Allen Fieldhouse is going to be basketball entertainment capitol of the world next year, and as for the recruiting story i think we'll just be getting the henry's which is all we needed in the frst place. And what the heck shockjay, why don't you have sherron starting?!?!?!?

Drew Bender 10 years, 9 months ago

"And what the heck shockjay, why don't you have sherron starting?!?!?!?"

His projected starting lineup is for 2 seasons down the road

Greg Lux 10 years, 9 months ago

Who coined the term "Dream Team" .. Welcome home Cole and Sherron. We love having you and thanks you for your commitment to not only yourselves and your commitment to improve your game for your own future but to the school, fans and program that loves you so much and will support you as you are doing us.

Rock Chalk

Brett Glover 10 years, 9 months ago

I think this is the start of a really good era for us, any way you look at it. And i dub it the jayhawk era.

JayhawkPurist 10 years, 9 months ago

mizzousucks89, The "really good era" began when Self nabbed Chalmers, Rush, and Wright in '05 and Arthur and Collins in '06. Those are arguably the greatest successive recruiting classes in KU history. Those classes and their success at KU and in the NBA set the table for Self to have access to literally any living room in the nation.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy. As much as we all like to think that this kind of success will continue forever, reality suggests otherwise. This is indeed a golden era for KU basketball.

Eric Schneider 10 years, 9 months ago

If these two come back it will be one of the first times I'm actually glad I moved to Indianapolis.

I honestly believe that the class of Rush, Chalmers, and Wright were the beginning of KU becoming THE premier program in the country. We'll be one of the favorites to make the Final Four every year that Self is here. I expect at least three more titles while he's coach.

Robert Lofthouse 10 years, 9 months ago

May have been said before, but worth repeating.

Can you imagine, 2010 Final Four or NC with KU and MSU? Both teams would be measurably better by then, but the Jayhawks would have an issue to settle ... with the edge on talent.

What a tremendous game that would be for their careers and the ever-faithful Jayhawk Nation!

keith horinek 10 years, 9 months ago

"I expect at least three more titles while he's coach", HCBS is a remarkable coach and handles big time programs very well, BUT this quote is big time pressure. Let's just enjoy the ride. when you put those kind of "expectations" on somebody, the pressure can be immeasurable, ask Tubby Smith when he was at UK.

Joel Hood 10 years, 9 months ago

oljhwk - I wouldn't put Tubby and HCBS in the same category. HCBS excels at recruiting and glad-handing the major contributors (oh and by the way, he can game coach and develop talent too.) Tubby couldn't recruit and that killed him at UK.

Chris Weaver 10 years, 9 months ago

i think i'm good with winning the tourney every other year. yeah... i'm good with that.

Brett Glover 10 years, 9 months ago

I think i'm good too, it'll be hard to live with, but sometimes you just gotta live with these things :)

TexasHawk44 10 years, 9 months ago

tubby is not in the same league as Self. Tubby is a good coach and good recruiter. Self is a very, very good coach and GREAT recruiter. There really is no comparison, in my opinion.

AaronHawk19 10 years, 9 months ago

Shockjay,

1) Withey is being groomed as the next center, Robinson will not be playing the 5. 2) Robinson is a more talented recruit than either of the Morris twins and as a Soph will likely start over Marcus, leaving the Twins to back up the 4 and 5 spot. 3) Pretty bold projection for TR as the starting 3. I expect us to recruit over TR for the next incoming recruiting class, just as we are trying to do for this recruiting class.

jayhawkboogeyman 10 years, 9 months ago

The boogeyman loves Sherron more than any Jayhawk since Paul Pierce. Next year will be great.

4jhawks4ku 10 years, 9 months ago

2010 Depth Chart:

1 Collins 5'11" Johnson 6'2" Reed 6'3" 2 Stephenson 6'5" Taylor 6' 3" Morningstar 6'3" 3 Henry 6'6" Little 6'5" Releford 6'5" 4 Orton 6'10" Mc Morris 6'9" Robinson 6'8" 5 Aldrich 6'10 Withey 6'10" Mk Morris 6'8"

Breed the second team for the 2011 run.

TexasHawk44 10 years, 9 months ago

We will not get Henry AND Stephenson. I just don't see that. One or the other, maybe but not both. Also, we will not get Orton. I have seen so many crazy lineups on this board... Please remember that we only have one scholarship...two maybe if Brady or Reed give up theirs but if Cole and Sherron come back, we truly only have one to give... not three or four or five... like some folks act like...

Brett Glover 10 years, 9 months ago

yeah, which is why henry will be our best shot. because we get a two for one deal signing cj which would do one big thing, help us out in the point guard spot right now, and in '11 when collins leaves if he decides to stay.

TexasHawk44 10 years, 9 months ago

i agree with you, mizzousucks, but something tells me we are going to end up with Lance. Just a hunch. either way, I will be thrilled to add that kind of talent to an already loaded team. we are going to be a meat-grinder next year if everything falls into place...

Brett Glover 10 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, but on another note is anyone getting Kenny Gregory vibes from Thomas Robinson or is it just me?

Ervin O'Neal 10 years, 9 months ago

IMO, the Henry's were waiting a week or so to see if Cole and Collins declared for the draft. Lance S. and X both want to win it all next year. Having Cole and Collins return will allow X to make his decision later this week to come to KU. Lance, Wall or Orton would certainly be a plus.

I can't wait to see the Hawks in Indy next year. Hopefully, they will be in the Midwest Regional in St Louis. Both venues should be PACKED with KU fans.

At one point, the Commercial Appeal in Memphis was reporting that KU and Memphis might play in St Louis next year. I assume with Calipari gone, this event will fall through. Has anyone heard anything recently?

jayhawkboogeyman 10 years, 9 months ago

4jhawks4ku is high on cake fumes if he thinks stephenson, henry, AND orton will be jayhawks next year. KU is a college team, not the Yankees; we have a scholarship limit that we are about to exceed, not 1/2 Billion dollars to spend on anyone we want. How about building a team around experienced, committed kids instead of playing the wishing game for showoffs who are only coming to college because they have to have a year under their belt? Every year in the tournament, the teams that are stacked with juniors and seniors who have put everything into building a team end up on top, not the hot-shot showoff freshman. KU can win without a one-and-done, and what kind of team chemistry would we have if Self recruited almost an entire starting lineup of one-and-done punks and pushed the kids who made 08-09's team special to the back of the bench. An experienced Tyshawn Taylor is far more likely to make the right plays than a freshman Henry trying to get on Sportscenter and to the top of the draft.

Brett Glover 10 years, 9 months ago

You make a really good point boogeyman, but I highly doubt that HCBS will let the showboating mania go on this next year, what with all the talent coming in.

Brett Glover 10 years, 9 months ago

We Got Withey to replace cole for next year, now why would we need Orton?

Tyler Daniels 10 years, 9 months ago

mizzousucks89, Orton could be a good resource to have, we have Withey to back up Cole and Morris, but Cole and Morris get early fouls sometimes, and having Withey and Orton to back them up would be great (or which ever combination you want, I would love to see the looks on mizzous faces when they see Withey and Cole standing down low).

If Cole and Collins stays, I think we can almost expect Xavier and CJ to commit to. I'm kind of torn wanting Xavier though. Xavier would be a GREAT addition to Kansas, but one and dones just isn't KU's thing. Maybe if both CJ and Xavier come to KU and CJ can't get his appeal, Xavier will stay another year to play with his brother. I would much rather have a team with devoted and experienced players that will make smart plays though.

jayhawkboogeyman, i don't think Xavier will be like that. If we get him, something tells me Sherron will have something to say about that......

rcaltrider 10 years, 9 months ago

Sherron and Cole will announce tonight that they are staying. On Wednesday, Lance announces and signs with the Jayhawks and Zav-ee-ay ends up going to Kentucky to play for his boy Cal. I think Self does the smart thing and tells Lance the scholly is his if he wants it and if he takes it before X. Lance does the smart thing and takes the opportunity to go to Kansas and compete for a NC. Of course I could be completely wrong and none of this happens.

Brett Glover 10 years, 9 months ago

Well, my opinnion is that I'd rather have the better respective player with no rumors going around that he's a terrible teammate, then the less but still talented one with.

Brett Glover 10 years, 9 months ago

And I apologize for my misspelling of the word opinion, my bad. haha

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Burnt Ends...

} I am kind of hoping Self is recruiting not only Henry and Orton, but Patterson and the other good starter UK has. What the heck! Hollow out UK and see how they like Coach Cal with a .500 record. Put the whole KU team on academic scholies to do it.

} Where is Billy Gillispie these days? Surely with Jeremy Case moving to SEMSU, we can fit him in. :-) Anyone have any scoop on where he will end up? And has anyone hear what really happened to him behind the scenes? Did he have an affair with the AD's wife, or something?

} I wonder how long John Wall's AAU coach will last at Baylor, if Wall doesn't show there? We are about to find out how forgiving of a Christian Scott Drew is, if Wall can't be drawn to Branch Davidianville.

} It almost doesn't feel like the season is over with all this recruiting dramaturgy. Basketball itself seems kind of prosaic in comparison. Perhaps ESPN needs to start a reality show called Real Recruiting.

} Has anyone heard if KU has signed any OAD cheerleaders yet? OAD cheerleaders are an emerging phenomenon, according to some recent ex-Cheerleaders. OAD cheerleaders are so hot that after just one season of TV exposure they are snapped up to become Super Models by the Ford Modeling Agency, or cheese cake for situation comedies in LA.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

} Bill Self not only likes impact players, he apparently likes to be an impact recruiter. The man is not saying he only wants one or two more players. Holy cow! What has the old coach got up his sleeve? How about a recruiting class of Johnson, Robinson, Withey, Henry, Stephenson, and Orton. Can we call that a Fab Five at last? I could definitely see Brady, Tyrell, Tyshawn and Little giving up their scholies and taking academic and financial need rides, if they were to also work some exceptionally high paid summer jobs, which would hardly be a first in college athletics (the high paid summer jobs, I mean). Bring'em all in Bill. What the heck! If Brady and Tyrel have to become benchwarmers, why not Tyshawn, Little and the Morris Twins, too.

} Would a starting line-up of Collins, Henry, Stephenson, Withey and Aldrich be KU's best starting line-up ever? I'm asking this of everyone but Theutus. I already know his answer. Any team with Collins at PG would be hopelessly flawed. But for the rest of the board rats here; would this be KU's best five ever, or do they actually have to play before they can lay claim to that?

} Is the reason Xavier Henry is hesitating about coming to KU, because he does not want to play at a school with a skinny dipping lake named Lake Henry? Does Lake Henry even still exist?

} If Daniel Orton comes to KU, does this mean one or both of the Morris Twins will transfer? Say it ain't so, Marcus and Markieff. You guys are soooooo likely to develop into studs next year, after a season of trial by fire.

} Rumor: If Xavier Henry and Lance Stephenson come to KU, Lisa Guerrero has an escape clause in her contract and will come to KU to become The Voice (and The Body) of Jayhawk basketball. Chris Piper may be asked to become KU's sideline reporting beef cake.

} Rumor: X Henry's jersey has already been retired and will be hung immediately upon signing. He reportedly will play naked from the waist up and ESPN market consultants indicate this should bump the ratings for KU Big Monday games in the 16-40 female viewing audience by over 23%. The same consultants estimate that the 32-42 female viewing audience, called the Cougar Cohort by consultants, is expected to jump by 65%.

Brett Glover 10 years, 9 months ago

Love the sarcasm Jay-ul-bate, I think all we need to worry about is the 2-4-1 Henry special. Because right now we have great chemistry with everyone we have now. This would be best for us.

canuckhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

When do expect to know if there is an announcement?

douggiejug 10 years, 9 months ago

I can't imagine how unreal it is that everyone want Cole and Sherron to both come back. Their egos will explode the team next year. We need to lose at least one of these BIG heads. Jahn Wall and Xavier would bring a young fresh team to the promise land. As for sherron and company...they would disappoint even more with high expectations.

Chris Corley 10 years, 9 months ago

Congratulations, douggiejug, you may have just posted the most absurd comment ever on kusports.com.

Can you imagine how unreal that is?!

MrPilot 10 years, 9 months ago

douggiejug: Please don't ever post anything on KUSports.com again. Seriously.

ddeck87 10 years, 9 months ago

douggiejug, Why on earth would we want either of them to leave? You put the best players on the floor to win, and I don't really see how any of them have a huge ego. We have a much better chance winning a title next year with both of them staying. You're on crack if you think otherwise.

mjlindsm 10 years, 9 months ago

A few observations, opinions, etc.

-Brady Morningstar isn't giving up his scholarship, and it'd be terrible if he did. After the contributions he made last year, there is no way Self is going to give ole Rog a call and ask him to pay Brady's way next year. How awkward would that be?

-If Henry or Stephenson sign, I think Taylor would be the one to lose the starting job. We don't need 3 drivers. We need a shooter like Brady. Plus he'll still probably be our best perimeter defender, and Self is a defense-first coach.

-If I'm Cole Aldrich, I bolt for the league now while people are talking about my triple-double and before they look at me under the microscope. As a fan, this is sweet if he stays!

-Marcus Morris will never play small forward. We haven't even seen Mario Little play the 3. Some people don't seem to look at the kind of lineup Self plays. This isn't Jim Calhoun here!

-Since everyone is throwing out predictions, I'll join the fun and say we get Xavier, CJ stays at Memphis, Lance goes to St. John's, Orton stays at Kentucky, and Wall goes to Duke (who will be awesome with him next year; stop counting chickens before the eggs hatch re: a national championship). I base these predictions on reading the same thing you guys read and randomly guessing.

Brett Glover 10 years, 9 months ago

Doug, are you serious? Sherron Collins having a big head. I've had the fortune to meet Sherron and he is about the quietist person you'll ever meet. That's pretty insulting of calling a man that brought this young team to the spot they're at right now. If it weren't for Sherron's "Big Head" Tyshon wouldn't be as good as he is now. Just leave Doug.

The stupidist post of the day goes toooooooooo **DRUM ROLL* DougieJug!!!! And the Phog goes WILD!!!!!

jayhwkr77 10 years, 9 months ago

If Self does not land either Henry or Stephenson, I think it's about time that he gets shown the door out of Lawrence.

I mean seriously, he's been here six years now, and I don't remember him winning one really big game. On top of that, it's not that he even has that great of a winning percentage in the first place.

Brett Glover 10 years, 9 months ago

Ok, scratch that Doug. Stupidest post goes to shoe-in Jayhawkr77!!!! Ouch doug looks like you're getting some competition, better keep it up. ;)

KUSmurf 10 years, 9 months ago

I believe that was sarcasm, mizzousucks.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

jaybate says: "} With so many treating Brady and Tyrel as inevitable bench warmers, because of OAD wet dreams, will Brady and Tyrel be the next two KU players to transfer? There have to be some teams around the country that need 40% plus trifectators, especially one like Brady who was assigned the opponent's toughest perimeter player most games. Brady and Tyrel, welcome to the Rodney Dangerfield Society of I Can't Get No Respect!"

I agree with your sarcasm.

I'm not sure where the report originated that Brady or Reed would give up a scholarship, I haven't seen a link to the story where these words actually came from Mr. Morningstar or Mr. Reed. If anyone has it please post it. I feel a bit of hipocracy going on in all the excitement of a "dream team" or OAD roster.

I am extremely excited about the prospect of Cole and Collins coming back, picking up a 5 star recruit with the scholarship and watching with extreme anticipation as the season begins next fall. I'm salivating at the prospect.

I would disagree with the decision of Morningstar or Reed to give up their scholarship for any new recruit. It underminds their importance to the team, the hardwork they have put in, it underminds their goals as players. It's their choice, but I would personally disagree. I feel they are too valuable to the team.

If KU were to start culling players it's tradition would be lost.

If anyone has the article I would love to read it to see in what context it was written. Otherwise this "rumor" is simply mindless disrespectful speculation.

David Hall 10 years, 9 months ago

so jay u are say bill self has not win a big game what a bout a national champions

Here are a few big games Bill won jayhawkr77:

Nov. 25    06-07 Florida OT     82-80             Bill Self wins

Jan. 7   05-06   #21Kentucky  73-46             Bill Self wins

BigXII Ship Mar. 12 05-06 Texas 80-68 Bill Self wins

BigXII ShipMar. 11 06-07 Texas OT 88-84 Bill Self wins

BigXII ShipMarch 16 07-08 Texas 84-74 and, Bill Self wins

these are just the games i can name off the top of my head.

David Hall 10 years, 9 months ago

jayhwkr77 10 years, 9 months ago

what about the game at Kentucky with out simien in January of '05?

you have to throw the OU and Missouri games from this year in there. I also think the win at K-State in February was one of KU's best road wins of the Self era.

you sound like a typical blind KU fan mizzousucks89 if you couldn't tell that I was kidding there.

lv_jhwk 10 years, 9 months ago

Once again, as KUSmurf already pointed out, jayhwkr77 was demonstrating the use of SARCASM!! Granted, it is often hard to detect when written and not spoken, but still.

Brett Glover 10 years, 9 months ago

Well, jay. You really never know, I mean ther are a lot of retards out there stupid enough to post stuff like that I gues I'm just on my toes. And we don't need the name calling lv, that's IncestU's strategy. :)

Milhawkee 10 years, 9 months ago

Also what is the record for official Triple Doubles for KU?

rcaltrider 10 years, 9 months ago

blackmild (anonymous) says... tho to will keep there scholarship they are good guy that do not ned there scholarship away from them

WTF?

mjlindsm 10 years, 9 months ago

Forgot one observation: -Why do some have a problem with OADs? Lets look at the last seven years.
2003 - 'Cuse. Obviously Carmelo led them. 2004 - UConn. No OADs. 2005 - UNC. OAD Marvin Williams was an important part of the team. 2006 - Florida. A bunch of sophomores, not juniors (except Humphrey) and seniors. 2007 - Florida. Abberation; guys don't all come back like that. Won against Ohio States OADs. 2008 - KU. No OADs, but without a comeback for the ages and a miracle shot, Memphis wins from the help of OAD Derrick Rose. 2009 - UNC. Ed Davis helped a lot in the inside and should be a OAD, but he so far has said he is sticking around.

Bottom line is OADs won't always be the star, but they really can help in getting you to the title game or through it. How can anyone say our team wouldn't be better without Lance or X? If they hurt the team, Self won't play them (which could happen if they don't play D).

Joseph Kuebel 10 years, 9 months ago

WITHEY WILL PLAY THE 4 (SEE THE LOPEZ TWINS PLAYIN BALL ABOVE THE NET).....

1. Sherron/elijah
  2. Ty Tay/cj henry
  3. X/brady/little
  4. Withey/marcus, kieff, t.robinson
  5. Cole, robinson in for relief and still a board presence.