Monday, April 13, 2009

Henry scores 22 in junior loss

Xavier Henry scored 22 points off 7-of-12 shooting in the U.S. Junior National Select Team’s 98-89 loss to the World Team at Saturday night’s Nike Hoops Summit, played before 11,246 fans in Portland’s Rose Garden.

Henry, a 6-foot-6 guard from Putnam City High in Oklahoma City, hit six of 11 threes. He had four rebounds and an assist.

“It was a tough game, back and forth all game. The other team, they just played tougher than us the whole game,” Henry said.

John Wall, a 6-4 point guard from Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh, N.C., had 13 points off 6-of-12 shooting as well as 11 assists and five steals. Wall is considering KU, North Carolina State, Duke, Memphis, Baylor and Miami.

Comments

Lance Hobson 10 years, 7 months ago

Is Wall really considering KU still? I thought we were off his list. I hope this recruiting mess gets settled quickly and we end up with one of these elite players. It seems like in all of these battles so far this year we've ended up on the short end.

Chicago_JHawk 10 years, 7 months ago

If Collins comes back and with EJ coming in, I can't see Wall coming here. It doesn't make any sense for him.

fansincewilt 10 years, 7 months ago

Bill Self could take any of these guys and make a championship team. However, a few other coaches could do the same. I do not put Calipari in that group. Self has proved he can get a team up for the big game and win it.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 7 months ago

Perhaps they meant "UK" instead of "KU".

I also thought the race was between Kentucky (since Calipari's selection) and Duke.

Dillon Davis 10 years, 7 months ago

We're not going to get Wall guys, the guys we need to focus on is Xavier and Lance. And right now to be honest, it looks like we could be losing out on both. Because Xavier has told one foxsports reporter he plans on visiting UK after this weekend and Lance just took a visit to St. John's this past weekend. However Bill Self did go visit C.J. in Memphis and he did go visit Lance in NY. But i think he needs to go to NY for the Jordan Brand Game this weekend and try to seal the deal with X. Lance is reportedly very close to a decision and its coming down between us and St. John's. And im going to be honest guys, Ive been following this stuff very closely for the last couple weeks and have been looking at all the sites and I just have a bad feeling we're going to end up empty handed.

MarchSadness 10 years, 7 months ago

I'm not going to lie, I would love to have Xavier and C.J. play for KU. The thing is that Xavier has already chosen against us once, what makes people think he's not going to do it again? LETS GET LANCE! Lance was pretty much ready to sign with KU until Self started going hard after X again. Lance has shown he wants to win a title and play for us! Why are we wasting our time going after someone who already turned us down and probably will turn us down again? Lance wants to be here, so lets get him! He is just as much of a stud as X and could help us win the 2010 Title!

kcmostwanted 10 years, 7 months ago

One thing you guys forgot.. in the 2007 Recruiting battle there was this Kid named Derrick Rose who was down to KU and Memphis...

Even though KU had: Mario Chalmers, Russell Robinson, Brandon Rush and Sherron Collins on its roster ... The decision was still hard for Rose (until Coach Cal gave him a tricked out 300M...j/k at least that's the rumor)...

As of right now, I don't think anyone knows who's going to play the 2, 3 or 4 position for KU next year.

Tyshawn - good last year but hit the wall pretty hard. Morningstar - good against less talented teams Reed - same as Morningstar Mario Little - played well in 5 or 6 games then disappeared Morris Twins - took 1 step forward 2 steps back every other game

Thomas Rob. - unproven EJ - unproven

...meaning a guard of JW's caliber can come in and take one of the 2 or 3 starting guard positions.

I'm not saying he's going to pick KU but whatever HCBS is selling him...he's (somewhat) buying it, and I don't blame him. Look at Bill's gaurds in the past 7 or 8 years. Derron Williams (lottery), Dee Brown (2nd round), Luther Head (1st round), Brandon Rush (Lottery), Russell (undrafted), Mario Chalmers (2nd round)...

I would say HCBS is pretty good at developing guards, and anything is possible when it comes to HCBS and recruits...Remember, in 2006 he brought in the top 3 Small Forwards... Wright, Downes and Rush in the same class.

MitchumMan 10 years, 7 months ago

Can you blame Self for going after X? I mean it's a two for one deal. I like both guys but I can't blame Self at all here. I just hope it doesn't backfire and we end up empty handed.

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

Only 22?

Only 6 of 11 trifectation?

I thought he was perfect.

Next.

Let's start recruiting some people who can play the game, shall we?

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

drgnslyr,

At this rate, we have to ask ourselves: has an OAD ever come off the bench? :-)

jaybate 10 years, 7 months ago

Frankly, Stephenson and Wall both seem to have level heads on their shoulders to me right now. They were smart enough to understand that if you are good enough to get a ride no matter what, it is a smart idea to wait as long as you can to minimize the chance of a coach jumping on you and leaving you in the lurch the way Calipari left Henry.

As things shape up, coaching stability and program stability seem to become the crucial determinants, rather than where a player can get the most minutes. Each of these guys are going to get minutes where ever they go, and if they find they have flaws in their games, coaching stability and program stability become even more critical to them.

KU and Duke and UK all offer plenty of coaching stability. Self and Coach K are institutions. Calipari, because he is new, will have at least 2 seasons before UK gives him the hook and that's all the job security these three players need in a coach.

Program stability is where they separate.

KU is riding high and appears headed for a superseason next year.

Duke though it always does well, is not as hot as it once was. It has been in a small lull and does not have a stacked deck for next year. Kyle Singler does not a stacked deck make.

UK is all a bet on the come.

Advantage: Kansas.

Robert Brock 10 years, 7 months ago

OAD that comes to mind that came off the bench - Marvin Williams, UNC. Can't think of anyone else though. Williams was probably an anomaly; can't see something like that happening again.

Steve Gantz 10 years, 7 months ago

I really can't believe we're after a bunch of one and dones. This rent a player mentality seems wrong in the KU scheme of things. Can't really put a finger on why, but I'm uneasy about it. We should be recruiting guys who will develop into good players. NC this year, KU last, Florida the 2 previous all won without them (I think) I understand it reflects the changing face of basketball, but where are we next year at this time if we get one or two and then they go pro along with Collins and Cole. If we go this route, then KU really risks becoming a one and done in tourneys after next year.

MitchumMan 10 years, 7 months ago

Everyone says there is no chance Wall has KU on his board. This might be true because Sherron should stay but Wall could easily be the 2 guard. Plus when Sherron is out you have the "next best" point guard bringing up the ball. Either way, I think if KU can land one of these 3 guys we are looking at a Final Four for sure next season. If we don't then we still have a good chance if Thomas Rob comes in and plays to his potential. I just don't think I'll ever be sold on the Twins. I hate talking bad about KU players but they remind me of players MU would try to get. They just don't seem like first class basketball players. Sorry!

Bryan Summers 10 years, 7 months ago

I went to the Nike Summit game this weekend in Portland. Xavier was smooth but didn't seem to put much effort into the game. Most of his 3's were from NBA range and effortless. He will need to work on his D, though, and he didn't crash the boards - it really seemed like he just didn't care - I suppose because it was an All-Star game. Wall was amazing; he is aggressive and has incredible court vision. He took on the "bigs" on several drives and (with 11 assists) clearly shared the ball as you would expect from a point guard. I don't see him at the 2 simply because he is best with the ball in his hands and he knows how to run the show, but maybe he could make the transition. I was more impressed with several of the World players. There is some amazing talent out there, too bad we can't get them into KU but most are already playing pro ball in Europe.

Joel Hood 10 years, 7 months ago

jabate - OAD off the bench? Wasn't Marvin Williams a OAD for uncle Roy in 2005? I don't believe he started as a freshman - but was considered their best athlete.

dylans 10 years, 7 months ago

OAD Self has recruited: Wright 2yrs Rush 3yrs Arthur 2yrs Who knows how it will turn out when these athletes sign. One and done only means that the kid is highly talented (and hopefully doesn't have a big ego if KU lands 'em). I know Bill's job would be much easier if he had a crystal ball that would tell him who would stay, pan-out, etc.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

I'm not sure why many posters seem to think Wall and Collins couldn't be on the floor together if Wall actually did come to KU. Both players are essentially combo guards, and the 1 and 2 positions would be shared much the same way they were with Russell and Chalmers.

Honestly, Wall is probably a bit more comfortable at the point, and Sherron more so at the two -- even though Wall has a solid 4 inches on Collins -- so I certainly don't see why these two wouldn't share the guard responsibilities. Two guys with that kind of driving, passing, and shooting ability would be absolutely dominant together, especially with the talent we have on the inside.

Regardless, it is a moot point, as I'm fairly certain Wall isn't coming to Lawrence. Although, I would greatly enjoy it if I'm wrong.........

I'm still very hopeful that Xavier will be lacing up in Allen next year. I really do think that is what will happen. Hopefully another week or two and we will know for sure.

jayhawkboogeyman 10 years, 7 months ago

The Morris twins will be fine. They were carrying a much bigger load as freshman than previous big men at KU, and, for Marcus, you could really see him putting it together toward the end. Next year and beyond, they should both develop into excellent anchors inside as part of a 4-man rotation. Remember, Sasha Kaun looked like a fool for three years, but in Self's system, he finally became a monster inside. Give the Morrises a chance.

100 10 years, 7 months ago

Regarding Wall "is he still interested in KU":

If he wants to win a national championship before the NBA he is.

LAJayhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

jayhawkboogeyman,

I second your comment regarding the twins. Marcus especially improved by an enormous margin by the end of the year. And they have no where to go but up.

I'm still not sold on their personality yet, but as basketball players, they will be very good by the end of their college careers.

Michael Pannacciulli 10 years, 7 months ago

These guys are not ku material gang, really. Let's get that straight. They won't choose ku and so what. Just like Greg Monroe last year. Bad move for him to pass up the chance to work with Manning and practice with Cole. Fool. Plus g-town turned out to be horrible this year. But I digress. These guys are used to being stars already...ku is not where stars go...it's where stars are made.

BuhrKU5 10 years, 7 months ago

If Mr. Wall is still concidering KU i would certanily hope he would become are #1 guy on our board.

IF Wall comes to KU he plays the point. Sherron goes to the 2 and Morningstar/reed/ at the 3. Now you have exactly what we needed this year. We have the bigs. We have the guys who can cash the 3 from the corner off kick outs on drives and post ups. and now you have Sherron playing the 2 and all he has to worry about is scoring points. Wall handles the point and shares with everyone, he'll get his and he will average quite a few assits passing it to Mr. Collins. This guy should be are #1 priority IMO.

Of course i'd still take X or Sir Lance. I just feel Wall would give us more.

Ervin O'Neal 10 years, 7 months ago

Can you imagine how bad Wall and Collins on the floor together would shred any full court pressure. I love the thought of them both taking turns bringing the ball up court. Both would be able to take breathers and keep their shooting percentages high. Add X on the perimeter and Cole inside and it would be "40 Minutes of Phog" for any opponent.

Tennishawk21 10 years, 7 months ago

Ok, so this is my first post on this wall, so feel free to tear it apart at will. In my opinion we don't have much of a shot at landing Wall, everyone is talking about he and Collins sharing time, which I just don't see as a reality. He dished 11 assists and everything that I have read says that he is a point guard. Collins may be more comfortable as a 2, but at the next level he has little to no chance of playing a 2 and needs to focus on being a full time PG this year to get into the first round. With him doing that we would be asking Wall, a OAD, to play out of position and I sincerely doubt that is happening

Dale Koch 10 years, 7 months ago

I'll admit I didn't read all of the posts, and someone may have said this all ready, but honestly, if we don't end up with any of these so called blue chips we will still be a contender for another title next year. We already have some excellent players coming our way and HCBS has proven he can get the most out of what he has to work with. I think we will be just fine next year without any of these big egos.

buckleyhawk 10 years, 7 months ago

Apparently y'all don't consider Tyshawn Taylor a part of the mix. I mean, the guy half of y'all called the next "Russell Chalmers"...regardless of what happens recruiting-wise, KU will be top-5 and contending for the NC. The Morrises will be much bigger contributors, Collins and Aldrich will be what they are, and Withey/Little/EJ/KS boys/and maybe T Robinson will be solid contributors...this is what KU comes back with if they sign nobody. Any way you slice it, it should be pretty.

mikerizk 10 years, 7 months ago

All I want to know is what's taking X so long to decide? We want him; and previously "wanted" before he decided to go elsewhere. If he really wanted to come, he would have decided by now. This is KU; and certainly not a Memphis. Every great & proven star that played in Allen Field House felt it was a privilege to be part of this program. I feel we are being played; and it's very disappointing. I say we just move forward and land either Lance, Orton, or Wall...whoever commits first; and then close the door. And to be honest with you, Lance wanted to be a Jayhawk all along. Lance, c'mon aboard !

Jason Pearce 10 years, 7 months ago

Maybe, just maybe, Xavier is toying with KU and never intended to come to Lawrence. And by playing these games of "Dad says X wants to come to KU," he can scare Stephenson away at the same time. Then X and Wall can jet to Kentucky and become the No. 1 09-10 favorite. Hope it is not true, but it would be another Calipari dirty trick! Wall had KU on his list only if Sherron decided not to come back.

I don't want to imagine a UK team with Wall, Xavier, Meeks, Cousins, Patterson, Orton etc.