Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sought-after Appleton looking for major minutes

Tyrone Appleton, who announced his decision to leave Kansas University’s basketball program Thursday afternoon, had college coaches eager to speak with him Thursday night and Friday.

“We’re talking to several programs,” Appleton’s dad, James Dye, said Friday. “All are majors. I can tell you at least two are teams ranked in the Top 25,” Dye added, not wanting to name names.

Appleton’s dad, who lives in Gary, Ind., said Tyrone, who chose KU over Kentucky and Iowa State his sophomore year at Midland (Texas) College, left KU with no ill feelings.

“We are good with the program and appreciate what his teammates and coaches have done for him,” Dye said.

“He loves it there — the university, the people around him, the players, staff. It was very difficult (to leave) because of that.

“Anyone who saw him this year ... you have the No. 1 junior-college point guard become one of the team’s biggest cheerleaders,” Dye added. “Coach (Bill) Self said Tyrone practiced every day like he was one of the starters.

“There are no (bad) feelings whatsoever. I’ve been in it long enough to realize it’s a business. The best-laid plans sometimes don’t work out. He’s an athlete who needs to play. We just didn’t see him going from 2.2 minutes a game to 15, 17, 18 his senior year. It’s best to (leave) so he can achieve his goals and do some of the things he wants to do (play pro ball somewhere).”

Dye said the most important thing is his son “is going to graduate. He has two semesters left (in African American Studies). He’ll sit out a year (at new school in accordance with NCAA rules) and definitely will graduate.

“He’s grown so much in the past year. He learned how to deal with adversity. I’m very, very proud of him,” Dye added.

KU freshman forward Quintrell Thomas, who also has announced his plans to transfer, was recruited heavily by Rutgers, UNLV and Maryland his senior season at St. Patrick High in Elizabeth, N.J. On Thursday he had no comment on any schools he might be considering.

Notes:

Stephenson update: Lance Stephenson, a 6-5 senior guard from Lincoln High in Brooklyn, N.Y., was to visit St. John’s this weekend, the New York Daily News reported.

KU coach Self was to visit with Stephenson at the family’s Coney Island home on Friday afternoon.

“They’re getting closer to making a decision,” a source told Zagsblog.net, referring to the Stephenson family. “They (coaches) are all making their last-minute pitches and I think this is St. John’s last chance to beat the other couple (KU and Maryland). They are just waiting to see what the numbers are at Kansas,” the source added.

If Stephenson is waiting on Xavier Henry, it might take a while to finalize his college choice. Henry, who has received a release from his Memphis letter-of-intent, told Fox Sports Net’s Michael Eaves on Friday at the Nike Hoops Summit in Portland that he is planning on visiting Kentucky after the Jordan Brand Classic on April 18. Henry will play at either Memphis, KU or Kentucky next season.

Orton update: The father of Oklahoma City McGuinness High senior center Daniel Orton spoke with Kentucky coach John Calipari on Friday at the Derby Festival in Louisville. Daniel is trying to decide whether to stick with his letter-of-intent with Kentucky or play at Kansas.

“Just nothing. He was just glad to have Daniel, that was it,” Larry Orton told the Lexington Herald-Leader when asked what he and new UK coach Calipari discussed. The two agreed to talk again next week.

Comments

Eurekahwk 11 years, 1 month ago

Its all Kentucky's fault. We are just doing what any team committed to success would do. And that is to swoop in that nab up recruits left behind. It is what everyone should expect the coach of Kansas to do to ensure we always have the best talent we can.

melrank 11 years, 1 month ago

The situation with Cole and Sherron is decided. HCBS didn't fly to Memphis on Thursday (CJ) and NYC on Friday (Lance) to engage these recruits without knowing all of his options.

He's made the final sales pitch to the Henry boys and then either offered Lance a chance to play with a potential NC next year or said to him, "Sorry, there's no room for you right now".

Unfortunately we are still left to speculate.

Assuming Cole and Sherron are coming back, my guess is he asked for a commitment from CJ. If he got it from CJ, he'll get it from X. But, I don't think he got it. The Henrys have too much up in the air right now and aren't ready to make a decision. Fair enough - snooze, you lose. So, knowing that we are going to be stacked next year anyway, he asked Lance to join in on the fun and Lance put his bruised ego aside and gladly accepted the opportunity to continue the NYC tradition at the Phog.

Lance will be a Jayhawk. The Henrys probably won't. Orton isn't in the mix.

Now, there ae approximately 428 slightly altered versions of this theory available for fans to speculate on. Feel free to choose the one you like the best . . .

Finally, with Calipari being at Kentucky now, I almost hate them as much as Duke (but not quite).

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 1 month ago

I have to say that I am quite impressed with the attitudes of Appleton and his dad.

Gil Ek 11 years, 1 month ago

I think Julian Wright should sit out a year, get his amateur status back and give us two more years. He is a case of leaving toooooo early and not developing his potential. Just a dream.

John Brown 11 years, 1 month ago

Julian is starting to get PT in the league. Rush is now getting the PT and Mario has played a significant roll for Miami all year.

63Jayhawk 11 years, 1 month ago

Good luck to Tyrone. I'm glad he came to KU. He seems like a fine young man and I will cheer for him where ever he plays (as long as it is not against the Jayhawks).

Michael Bratisax 11 years, 1 month ago

Get Orton...Big wide-body athlete w/major potential.

jayhawkintexas 11 years, 1 month ago

When it all shakes out, I think Xavier will go to Kentucky, Lance will go to St. Johns, Orton stays at Kentucky and CJ stays at Memphis. And all four will be sitting at home next Spring watching KU play in the Final Four. As far as Tyrone and Quintrell, they will transfer to schools where in two years they will be starters. Good luck, guys and thanks for being part of KU basketball.

NH_JHawk 11 years, 1 month ago

I agree jayhawkinatl. I'm very impressed with Appleton's attitude and positive outlook on this situation. Thank you Tyrone for what you gave to our program and we'll be rooting for you wherever you land. Same goes for Q.

I can't remember a time when there was so much speculation/excitement about the upcoming recruiting class or when KU was recruiting this consistently on such an elite level. HCBS could prove to be the best coach in KU history if he keeps putting teams together like these. Regardless of who we sign (or don't sign) next year is going to be another exciting edition of KU Basketball with Robinson, Johnson, and Withey in the mix. If Cole and Sherron stay we are definitely a legit title contender. If they stay and we sign at least one of the OADs then we have a redonkulously talented team. Gotta catch my breath just thinking about the possibilities!

Jacobpaul81 11 years, 1 month ago

If there's something i've learned watching the NCAA the last few years, it's one and dones don't get the job done. In the last 10 years, Carmelo Anthony's the only one and done with a national title. All the rest of that last 10 title teams were deep with Seniors and Juniors. Is one of these one and done guys really what we need to get back to the title?

Normally I'd say go for Orton. But we've got 5 talented big men. It's at guard that we're weak. Even if Collins stays, we lose him next season. We also lose Mario. What we really need is a guard who can play the 2 next to Tyshawn for that 2010-2011 season. If Bill could find a 3 in the vain of B. Rush, that'd be fantastic. Unselfish, Defensively minded, and a scorer. But it has to be someone who needs 2-3 years to develop.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 1 month ago

I agree, jayhawkintexas...it would be nice to get a surprise late-addition (e.g., X, Lance, Wall, Orton), but I honestly believe that we are a Final Four team as long as Cole and Sherron return.

Steve Brown 11 years, 1 month ago

Here's my take, like Melrank said, it is all speculation.

Cole and Sherron drafted high enough to leave, or one stays, we just don't know. X follows Cal to Kentucky, our new national rival, replacing Duke for top spot. Lance stays in NY w/ St. John's. CJ stays at Memphis, gets on the court without another sit out year.

Back at AFH, our twins continue to improve, look at Darnell Jackson from his freshman year toward his senior year, made big strides. A couple guys on the bench this year break out for next season. We continue to play tough defense, pass the ball for open shots and use the crimson & blue magic to win another conf. title. Life is good .... even without X, CJ, Lance, Orton, life is good, any of these is just icing on the cake.

AaronxScythe 11 years, 1 month ago

I hope X and C.J. come to Kansas given the history and the talent of them and their family but if it doesn't happen, I'm pretty sure Lance will come to KU. I think he hasn't signed his LOI to Kansas because he is waiting on X's decision.

Basically to sum it up, if X goes to KU Lance probably won't. If X goes somewhere else, Lance will probably come to KU.

And we don't need Orton, we just got Thomas Robinson and we already have the twins. And lets not forget Cole...

Seth Nesmith 11 years, 1 month ago

Lance Stephenson would be a huge mistake at KU. I don't know how anyone thinks his attitude would suddenly change coming here. He would be a one year distraction and would not lead us to a final four. Coach Self is the best, but I wouldn't touch this kid, his dad, and their attitudes with a ten foot pole!

CrodieBroyle 11 years, 1 month ago

We are a FF team next year without any of these one-and-done's, but it could only help to sign on. I personally want X and CJ over Lance.

Larry Smith 11 years, 1 month ago

The one thing people seem to forget, or maybe just not consider when they say "Other than Carmello, none of them (OAD's) have won a ring" is that most of the OAD's have not been on a team that surrounded them with as much talent as the current Jayhawks would. Can you imagine if Beasley last year had a Cole at center, a Sherron at pg and the depth that we will have next year?

Most of the OAD's don't win it all, because of the lack of talent and depth around them. I don't think that would be an issue at KU. I can tell you that I certainly would have taken a OAD this year if they could have been a third scoring optinon. Imagine how far we could have gotten.

CasperCorps 11 years, 1 month ago

Lance is gonna come, why would X be going to visit Kentucky, plus its a lot closer to his brother if he stays at Memphis, even though I thought CJ was already released from there.. We need another scoring option,for sure. Maybe Releford, will learn to play some defense and it will be him.. Mainly we need somebody who can steal the ball and dunk on people.. Lance seems like he could do that. We havent had a one in done player at Kansas since Micah Downs, we're do..

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 1 month ago

CasperCorps...by your definition of "one-and-done", I guess Galindo and Padgett also qualify.

jcjr 11 years, 1 month ago

I'm getting sick of waiting for XHenry to make his decision. If he doesn't know by now that KU is where he should be, then screw him. Let UK have him. We should just move on and focus on getting Lance and Orton and be done with it. I still can't believe that after the whole memphis/calapari thing, X still holding out on KU. What's wrong with him? Forget him and move on!

CasperCorps 11 years, 1 month ago

Oh yeah.. Havent had a one and done since Padgawith, Galindo, and Downs.. The only one I regretted seeing leave was Galindo, I really liked that kid.. How'd he end up doing?.. I know we got someone a lot better in his place but he seemed to be pretty solid..

jaybate 11 years, 1 month ago

Calipari just announced he's jumping to UCLA! I just saw it on ESPN. Howland quit for personal reasons and Calipari is taking over at UCLA. $4.7 million/yr and a 10 year contract! UK's AD is practically having a coronary!!!

redballer1313 11 years, 1 month ago

come on guys.. we need to stop talking about these guys.. lets look at the guys that are coming back and the guys who have signed on.. like EJ and TR. they both could come and help right away. this past season we had a good year and with most of the guys coming back we can't have a bad year. i just can't wait for next season to get started. i wouldn't mind getting X, or lance, but even with out them we will have a great year.

CasperCorps 11 years, 1 month ago

Dear drgnslayr, I know your young and your body is going through changes, you know, voice is getting squeaky, Daddy just bought you your first BMW, and your still in the "its cool to try and be little people phase in your life", so I won't hold your lack of reading other peoples posts before you comment on them, against you but I said Lance was coming, little guy... Relax, think about what it will be like to drink a beer legally.. I really don't care which on of the true OAD's comes, just as long as we get one of them...Yes I haven't posted very much this year, cause to me this was just a reloading year, but buddy I've been a proud poster since Sept 2006....

dcmander 11 years, 1 month ago

I used to feel the same way about Lance as most of the ppl on this board....and the first half of the McDonald's AA game confirmed it even more for me. But the kid is a winner. If anyone saw the last 10min of ht MAA game, you can tell that Lance wanted to win bad and he made so many key plays and key assists to bring home the victory for his team. I would probably prefer X more than Lance because I think he is a more solid 3 for our team next year, but I certainly would be happy to get Lance also because he is a winner!

emillasap 11 years, 1 month ago

Come on Ralster you're better than that.

Joe Baker 11 years, 1 month ago

I find it extremely interesting that QT and Tyrone BOTH transferred during this whole situation. This opens two schollys plus Brady's sacrifice. Also, I'll say it again, Releford can redshirt (+1), and Reed qualifies for an academic. If my math serves me right and the ncaa rules are fairly understood, 2 (QT/Tyrone)+1 (Brady's)+1 (Releford?)+1 (Reed)= 4 or maybe 5 schollys possible for KU's program. Please correct me if I wrong, but CJ doesn't need one (Yankee contract). Let's replace them with some possibilities: X and Lance replace QT/Tryone, Orton takes Brady's, Releford is a little long shot, but possible. And doubtful Self will sink to ask Reed to give up his earned b-ball scholly. Schollys: Collins- YOU ARE THE MAN AND Commanding GENERAL! Educate these boys!
Aldrich- Thanks for staying one more yr, now lead this team to the NC Morris Twinsx2- Get bigger and DOMINATE the paint. Taylor- Must develop his outside shot and become the next Collins. Instrumental in the 'back to back" thang 2010 and 2011. I'm thinking BIG!! Why not, we're Jayhawks! Little- I want to see him in his true swing position in the front court. Reed- Solid contributor and needs to get a tiny bit more consistent. Withey- We finally get a 7 footer again!! Hello Ostertag Robinson- This guy has SKILLS as a forward. He's a born leader!! The Missing Link in ncaa b-ball and he's under the Big 12 radar right now. Johnson- Quiet, but DANGEROUS! Can you say "Baron Davis" X- The most humble kid in college b-ball and he knows he's good!! No smack pleeez!! Lance- Most of Jayhawk nation knows this guy is the REAL DEAL! Born to be a Jayhawk. Doesn't hurt that Danny Manning, former NBA star is courting him and will perform another miracle. Orton- Hey! One more big man doesn't hurt for Mc/Mk and Robinson!! Misc: CJ- We should nickname him "The Family Key or the Key" This is why Self flew to Memphis to get CJ and X follows (it's brotherly love) Redshirt: Releford- very possible (we'll need him down the 1-2 yr stretch with class of 2010) I saw high school tapes of this kid and he can shoot. We need him to get his shot back with confidence! Besides...we may get his little bro too and they would get to play together in a yr or two. Walks: Juenemann (sp.) Buford Teague Brady- He gives new meaning to "taking one for the team"! Unselfish and a true hawk at heart!!

John Wall can take a flying hike to the nearest airport. I think he snubbed KU more than any of these other players. It's even sick to think Self was investigated for "bumping" into this brat!! Uh Um...Sorry!

Joe Baker 11 years, 1 month ago

CORRECTION: Sorry Teahan, NOT Teague!!

jaybate 11 years, 1 month ago

ralster,

I just posted that false rumor/humor about Calipari leaving for UCLA for bigjay83, who castigated me yesterday for mastering the obvious and telling people I was doing some schtick. Please accept my apologies, if you were misled.

bigjay83,

Now, do you see why I make clear that I am doing comedy, even when you find it unamusing?

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 1 month ago

I went straight to ESPN.com after I saw your post, jaybate. Thanks.

melrank 11 years, 1 month ago

truehawk:

I'm not completely sure, but assuming:

• Cole and Sherron come back
  • We have 2 transfers (TA and QT)
  • Withey, Robinson and Johnson take scholarships next year
  • We get back our 13th scholarship from probation

We only have 1 available scholarship left.

Releford (or anyone) red shirting absolutely does NOT provide for an extra scholarship so the math remains the same.

If someone gives up a scholarship to pay their own way, that would be an extra one, so everyone can speculate on that likelihood. However, if anyone has EVER heard of this actually happening, I'd be curious as to the circumstances. Even knowing that the Morningstar-paying-his-own-way urban legend has a lot of legs, I find it highly unlikely.

Ralster, my comparison to KY and Duke was only based on my obsessive dislike for Duke over the years and now with Calapari going to KY, there was a strong case for KY taking over my personal top spot for dislike. However, make no mistake about it, I think Coach K runs a great program with good kids (this doesn't mean I have to like them). Calapari has a LONG ways to go before I would put him in the same category from that standpoint.

KC_J_Hawk 11 years, 1 month ago

Here's my advice to X and CJ: come to KU. If CJ has to sit for the year, X will just have to stay an extra year to play some ball with his brother... everybody wins!

honestly, this is ri-gosh darn-diculous. I can't take the suspense... even though it doesn't matter for another 8 months.