Friday, April 10, 2009

Gary Bedore’s Kansas Basketball Notebook

• Status of Collins, Aldrich: There’s a rumor going around that Collins and Aldrich definitely have decided to return to KU.

“That’s positively not true,” Self said. “I do think there’s a thought process (with both of them) initially (where they say), ‘I probably am coming back.’

“I’m not putting any pressure on them to give me an answer. They may be leaning a certain way.”

Self is in the process of talking to NBA front-office types about the duo’s draft stock.

“I owe it to them to get them information,” Self said. “I’d be very surprised if they do anything before getting the information. It’ll be sometime next week (that he gets them all the information).”

Aldrich’s dad, Walter, said last week that his son probably would be back to KU for a junior season. Collins said after KU’s season-ending loss that he’s coming back unless he’s advised otherwise by Self.

Various draft sites believe Aldrich would be a definite first-round pick if he declares, Collins a likely second-round pick.

• Orton update: Daniel Orton, a 6-10 senior forward from Oklahoma City McGuinness High, told the Lexington Herald-Leader he will consider Kansas as well as Kentucky, a school he signed with in November, but lost its coach, Billy Gillispie.

“Right now, my brother and my dad and I are going to sit down and talk about it,” Orton said at the Derby Festival Basketball Classic in Louisville.

“In my heart, I believe I truly want to go to Kentucky,” Orton added. “You want to make sure everything is right. You want to make a good decision, a very educated decision.”

Kentucky this week received a commitment from big man DeMarcus Cousins.

The Wildcats also have front-court players Patrick Patterson and Perry Stevenson.

“It does kind of affect it (decision),” Orton told the Herald-Leader, not mentioning KU’s frontcourt situation.

• More on Henrys: Former KU player Carl Henry told Rivals.com that Self was in Memphis on Thursday to visit with his son, Memphis freshman walk-on C.J. Henry, who has received a release from his letter of intent. C.J. would like to play on the same team as brother Xavier next season. Xavier Henry, who has received a release from his Memphis letter of intent, is in Portland this weekend for the Nike Hoops Summit.

• Other prospects: John Wall, 6-4, from Raleigh, N.C., tells Rivals.com he has a list of KU, Duke, North Carolina State, Baylor, Memphis, Miami and Kentucky. He said he also might consider North Carolina if UNC begins to recruit him actively. ... Lance Stephenson, 6-6 from Brooklyn, N.Y., still has his list of KU, St. John’s and Maryland.

Comments

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

Oh, for goodness sakes.......this sounds like we're back to the November signing period. The whole thing has gone from curious to ludicrous to hilarious. KU may get X, CJ, Lance, Big O and John Wall......or we may get NO ONE!!!!

If CJ can get out of his LOI, KU is a no doubter for the Henrys..if not Memphis/Memphis or Memphis/ Kentucky.

Lance will come to KU..........if KU wants him.

Condor stays, Big O stays away Condor goes, KU X's and O's for Big O

My post from November still stands..if John Wall comes to KU, I will set a date at The Wheel on 14th Street and buy beers for every poster who shows up!!!!!!!! Do ANY of you think that John Wall even has KU on his radar?????

Tribehawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Just about any permutation is possible now. I think if we strike out on Lance AND X, (which I think is actually quite possible) I would not at all be surprised to see Wall come in. Chances for that scenario go up if Sherron goes L.

DallasHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

Totally agree on Wall. I don't think he is nor was ever in the picture. I really believe that the Henry's want to come here and look for it to happen in the next 2 weeks.

On Orton... I can't imagine him deciding to come to KU. Unless he is a complete stud, I can't see him coming in and playing more than he would at uk. We will be loaded if Cole comes back.

On another note. I wish the best for Appleton and Quintrell. They were always ready to play when their number was called and never moped. Good luck and I hope we don't have to match up with Quintrell in a few years!

TaTownHawkFanBase 10 years, 9 months ago

to oakvillejhawk

i think wall is smart enough to have ku on his radar if collins departs, but i think he realizes that collins is more than likely coming back. That all being said, he's the smartest one of all these recruits to stay undecided. The craziness of college basketball recruiting is a game and he has played his cards well.

beckujayhawks 10 years, 9 months ago

i don't think that Orton will come to KU. didn't he go to kentucky because we signed thomas, thats what i remember.

number1jayhawker 10 years, 9 months ago

Oakville, CJ is a walk on at Memphis. He does not have to be released from a LOI. He is having his college tuition, where ever he plays, paid for by the NY Yankees.

prusso25 10 years, 9 months ago

i think if (most likely when) ty leaves unc then wall is going to unc. he sounds like the kind of guy who will basically pick the school based on who doesn't have a pg, and with sheron leaning on staying home don't look for wall to even consider us anymore.

TexasHawk44 10 years, 9 months ago

number1jayhawker: Exactly what I was going to say,:. It is a matter of his eligibility to play next year that is in question. CJ can go wherever he wants - but right now he will have to sit out unless he stays in Memphis. beckujayhawks: I think you are right. KU withdrew their offer after Robinson accepted a scholarship. Wall is not coming to KU. Never was.

kcmostwanted 10 years, 9 months ago

Even if Lawson goes pro..they have a McD AA guard coming in as well...They also have a McD AA guard from the 08 class (Larry Drew) so this may hurt their chances of getting Wall.

That being said, I think they still have a good chance of landing him because: 1. I know that both of them (Larry and Strickland) are more of combo guards 2. I know that Wall would like to stay close to home

Like I said, I'd prefer Wall to land at NC State if he doesn't end up at KU.

kerbyd 10 years, 9 months ago

I would be very surprised to see Wall come to KU. If my memory serves me, he seemed pretty upset that Johnson signed and basically said KU already had their point guard and would look elsewhere.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

number1jayhawker

You are exactly right..you'd think after I had read all these scenarios about 30 times in the last month, I would have it straight...NCAA transfer not LOI is the hurdle...and I am afraid the NCAA is not going to let a crack in the doorway so the appeal WILL BE DENIED!!

TaTownHawkFanBase

Very astute observation on John Wall's patience in the recruiting arena, although a partial reason is the determination of his mother's health. Still, KU, UK, Memphis, Duke, NC all are vying for him...can any other senior out there really say that. He must really be something!! I agree with TexasHawk44...Too bad we'll never see him.....unless HCBS has an ace up his sleeve.

Orton is a possibility ONLY if Condor declares, otherwise, I agree..he's not leaving UK

Lance???......if KU can determine that the website thing is legit, I think he is the one guy we land

TexasHawk44 10 years, 9 months ago

While Wall is an incredible player, Johnson is not chopped liver:

From ESPN: January, 2009: Johnson was the most physically gifted prospect by far at the event, but before he arrives at Kansas next season, he has some areas that need to be addressed. Johnson, who may remind some of current NBA standout Baron Davis, has a world of potential due to his athleticism and skill. He plays the game at an effortless pace - that is part of the problem - but he can impact it on so many different levels. His strength, skill, and bounce are easily noticed, but he only utilizes those advantages in spurts. He can get to the basket at will and can hang in the air for an eternity. His jump shot is more than solid with range out beyond the 3-point line, but he doesn't get his legs into it as much as he should. Overall, he understands the game and he should be in the NBA some day, but Bill Self might have his work cut out for him getting Johnson to reach his enormous potential

He is the number 28 ranked player according to ESPN. Not exactly an also ran....

Lance Hobson 10 years, 9 months ago

Orton was passed over by KU in favor of Robinson, but from what I understand he wanted to go to KU. If the scholarship is open now and coach Self offiers it to him, I think it would be a great move for him to come here.

DoubleDD 10 years, 9 months ago

Wake me up when its all over, I just can't take it anymore. In one breath KU gets the pie in the sky, and the next we might be eating mud pie. I will say one thing I just don't see the Henry brothers coming here. X wants to play with CJ, there's two problems with that; one he might have to sit out year by transfering to KU and two even if the NCAA lets him play how good is he. The more I think about this, Lance is our boy. He wants to come to KU, and he is the mostly likely to return for a second year. Mr Wall and Orton only come if Collins and Aldrich declare for the league.

KanKu 10 years, 9 months ago

IMO, fellow Kansas Fans: Wait for for the recruiting to work itself out, and simply hope that what we have returns next year healthy.

I'd take Sherron Collins over John Wall anyday. Sherron is a senior and will play much better next year after being "The Man" this past season. He is a clutch shooter, can distribute the ball, and mostly played what people call "out of control" when others weren't stepping up.

I'd take Cole Aldrich over having any other bigs out there AND Zavyeah Henry. Having Cole next year as a junior center will be, literally, huge for KU. He'll get doubled and trippled all year and will still get his 15 and 10, but will be seasoned enough to play out of the double team successfully.

I think most fans, myself included, love the idea of highly ranked guys coming in. But we need to remember that they're still freshman and will frustrate us way more than an awesome senior/junior PG/C combo that we already have. I hope to get a stud wing too, but we're pretty fortunate to have what we've got.

jaybate 10 years, 9 months ago

Go to this link as an antidote to the recruiting suspense. It is the Top Ten Women in Sports Broadcasting. It is kind of comical. Ya gotta love the pics of these very serious sports journalists. When are Keegs and Gary going to pose like these women?

KUSmurf 10 years, 9 months ago

Oh man I could definitely use a break from this recruiting insanity. Just get it over with already.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 9 months ago

Jaybate...excellent link..I vote Leeann Tweeden broadcast or sideline every sporting event in America for the next five years!!!

The Mirror Shot is classic.

Can you imagine Keagan in that pose!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA..oh my sides hurt!!!!

Layne Pierce 10 years, 9 months ago

One thing, my friends. To win a national championship, we need a 3rd scoring threat. Xavier would give us that instantly. We lost the Michigan State game to a great extent because other people could not and would not hit a shot. They were chicken. It's easy for good teams to beat a 2 man team. If we don't get any of the above, don't you all think it would still be good to go out and get the best 3 spot available?

Of all the great players we had last year, Brandon Rush was probably the most valuable, because of all he brought to the table. Unfortunately, we don't have anyone even 75% as good.

Jack Wilson 10 years, 9 months ago

Just for fun, look at this link .. didn't know Collins could get up like this.

jayhawkboy35 10 years, 9 months ago

i think that if sherron leaves we will get both Stephenson and Henry. Therefore we would get both Henry's.

I cant see Wall coming to KU with the amount of guys we are getting (i doubt he wants to spend a lot of time on the bench).

As for Orton, i could see him waiting for Cole's decision. If Cole stays, it is likely Orton wont come to KU, but if Cole goes, Orton might take a serious look at KU (even though the Morris twins might play ahead of him)

In my opinion, I could see both Sherron and Cole staying. If that happens i think we would get Lance, X, and CJ. (Brady would have to drop his scholarship in order for this to happen this way)

Joe Baker 10 years, 9 months ago

No OakvilleJHawk: Wall may be smarter than we think and knows from the highest KU b-ball source that he's done. We have X, CJ and Lance!
My comments for Mr Wall: Been nice knowing you Mr. Wall, but you had your chance to sign with KU b4 any other recruit and you snubbed the likely #1 team in the nation. But hey, you're bound for the NBA, right? You don't need the attention of that thing called a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP to help that NBA stock, do you? You go to one of the "other" schools and you'll be ranked, but NC? Naw! Good luck to ya anyway!!