Friday, April 3, 2009

Henry brothers in no hurry

There was no family meeting at the Henry household on Thursday night in Oklahoma City.

“He got delayed at the airport by bad weather,” University of Memphis freshman walk-on guard C.J. Henry said of brother Xavier, Rivals.com’s No. 3-rated high school player out of Putnam City High. Xavier played in the McDonald’s All-America game Wednesday night in Miami, with plans to head home Thursday morning.

C.J. and Xavier originally had hoped to meet with their parents to discuss their college options now that former Memphis coach John Calipari has moved on to the University of Kentucky.

Xavier signed a letter of intent with Memphis last November; C.J. took a red shirt this season — because of various injuries — at the Conference USA school.

“Maybe tomorrow, or over the weekend,” C.J., said, asked when the family will meet.

He said he didn’t think there’d be news of any kind to report before Sunday or Monday.

C.J. Henry, who orally committed to play at KU his senior year of high school before signing a pro contract with the New York Yankees, said the Henry brothers may or may not wind up at the same school.

“It’s still up in the air. We might stay here (Memphis). I don’t know. I’ll wait and see who they get (as next coach),” C.J. Henry said. “I’ve heard a few names. Both of us might be coming to Memphis. It depends what coach they bring in. I don’t know right now. We might end up at different schools. One situation might be best for me. One might be best for him. Or we could be together.”

Both could consider Kansas.

“Yes. I mean, it’s another school that is high on both of our lists. We will look at every school,” C.J. said.

That includes Calipari’s new school, Kentucky.

“Yes because I came here to play for coach Calipari, and my brother signed with coach Calipari. I’m sure we’ll talk about that,” C.J. Henry said.

C.J. Henry said he had not spoken with KU coach Bill Self about what he and/or his brother might do. He has talked to little brother, Xavier, a bit, however.

“It’s up in the air. He’s open to anybody,” C.J. said. “He just said he will open it up. He may end up at Duke,” he added, laughing.

Xavier told reporters after the McDonald’s game that he likely would make a campus visit to Kentucky and another to KU before finalizing his decision. He also said he would not be attending Memphis.

C.J., who was in Memphis Thursday night, said he’d try to return to Okie City for the family get-together today or Saturday.

“There’s no timetable. We just want to make the right decision,” C.J. Henry said.

It has been speculated 6-foot-3 combo guard C.J. Henry may want to wait to see whether Sherron Collins returns to KU for his senior season before possibly committing to the Jayhawks. C.J. said he’s looking for playing time next year.

“It will probably factor in. We’ll talk about it when we analyze every school,” said C.J., who believes he will not be required to sit out a year if he transfers to another school because of an NCAA loophole. “I want to play next year.”

Notes:

Stephenson update

The New York Daily News on Thursday reported that Xavier Henry is the reason Lance Stephenson remains undecided on a college. Sources close to Stephenson told the paper that KU prefers landing Henry over Stephenson.

A source told The Daily News it’s a “logical assumption” that KU’s pursuit of Henry made Stephenson postpone his commitment announcement (Tuesday) and take a stronger look at St.John’s.

There were reports on Kansas City radio station 810 Thursday that Stephenson is now upset at KU’s coaching staff with the possibility of him visiting Kansas State and/or Missouri.

A source close to Stephenson told Zagsblog.net that the player’s list of schools has not been expanded. His choices remain KU, St. John’s and Maryland. Zagsblog’s source said if Sherron Collins returns to school and Xavier Henry lands at Kansas, “they (Stephenson family) don’t know what they are getting into at Kansas (as far as playing time).”

Honors coming for Self

It’s the unofficial “Bill Self Appreciation Day” today in Detroit, site of the 2009 Final Four.

KU’s sixth-year coach this morning will receive the Henry Iba Award at the United States Basketball Writers breakfast at the Detroit Athletic Club. The Iba Award goes to the organization’s coach of the year.

Later in the morning, Self is the odds-on favorite to be named Associated Press national coach of the year. Winning the prestigious AP award would net Self a $50,000 bonus at KU. It’s one of the incentives in his 10-year contract that nets him $3 million per annum. He also netted $50,000 for directing his team to the Big 12 regular season crown.

Self also was named Big 12 coach of the year, Sporting News and Yahoo Sports coach of the year.

Hall of Fame

Eight individuals will be inducted into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame on Nov. 22 at the College Basketball Experience in KC. They are players Wayman Tisdale (Oklahoma), Magic Johnson (Michigan State), Larry Bird (Indiana State) and Travis Grant (Kentucky). Coaches to be inducted are Jud Heathcote (Michigan State) and Gene Bartow (Memphis State, UCLA, UAB). Bill Wall (executive director USA Basketball) and Walter Byers (NCAA director) also will be inducted.

Comments

Lance Hobson 11 years, 5 months ago

Wow, what a tough situation Cal has made for a lot of people. I hope the Henry brothers make the best choice, whatever they decide. I do hope it's KU, we could have something very special next year.

chezlog 11 years, 5 months ago

My prediction is - the Henrys will go to Kentucky. Here's why, they seem to be sold on Calipari and now Calipari is at a better school. I thought Xavier (C.J. will follow him) would come to KU because Calipari let them down. However, when I read what C.J. said - “Yes because I came here to play for coach Calipari, and my brother signed with coach Calipari. I’m sure we’ll talk about that,” I know the answer before the news. If Calipari can talk a kid into wanting to go to Memphis he can talk the same kid into giving up his birthright to go to Kentucky. It's over, for the second time it's over, Xavier isn't coming.

rockchalkmillhouse25 11 years, 5 months ago

Calipari is a snake!!! I do have a sick feeling that the Henry bros. will end up at Kentucky. I hope I am dead wrong. I would love to see the Hawks have a chance next year at another title. If Xavier ended up at Duke I would be sick for days!! I hate Duke almost as much as the Tiggers!

Aligned 11 years, 5 months ago

Is everyone else as tired of the Henry and Stephenson recruiting saga as I am?

My goodness man, are the Henry's going to go through the whole process again?

The world doesn't revolve around these recruits. It really makes you a appreciate the ones who know they want to attend KU and be a part of the storied program - like the other current players and recruits we have coming in.

Just pick a school already.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 5 months ago

The entire talk of 810 about Stephenson being upset at KU and is now looking at KSU and MU is utter nonsense. There is no basis for this other than some smucks yacking over the radio. I am shocked Bedore would be drawn into this mess.

thomc6 11 years, 5 months ago

Shocked might be too strong a word, but 'extremely disappointed' certainly applies. There is absolutely nothing to back up the statement.

KEITHMILES05...: "There is no basis for this other than some smucks yacking over the radio. I am shocked Bedore would be drawn into this mess."

Mitch_4_KU 11 years, 5 months ago

Puleeze!!!!!!!!!! Both Henrys turned their backs on the Crimson and Blue so I would very much like Bill Self to tell them we gave them a chance, now go away, just go away. I want to win like everyone else, I also want KU to have some integrity. Lance was offered...honor it. As for leaping coaches, the NCAA should make THEM sit out a year if they leave a job,while under contract, to take a different one. See how they like that. This is like whack a mole.

jayhawkr34 11 years, 5 months ago

Ditto, Mitch!!! Not much a person could add to that.

InfiniteJ 11 years, 5 months ago

I think there is a good chance that Aldrich leaves for the NBA, the Henry bros go to UK, and Stephenson ends up at Maryland or St. Johns. Hell, Collins might bolt as well (but I doubt it).

As much as I dig Cole playing for KU, it would be crazy for him to pass up the money he would be getting in the NBA next year, especially if he is a lottery pick.

The Henry bros want to play for Coach Cal, so they will follow him to UK, if they wanted to play for Coach Self and the University of Kansas, they would have never signed up to play ball at Memphis.

I do think Stephenson might be ticked at the KU coaching staff for pursuing Henry again.....which ultimately will lead him to sign with the Johnnies or the Terps, no matter what Cole, Sherron, or Xavier decide to do, and honestly, I don't really care because I don't care for Stephenson's game nor his attitude. drgnslayr pops wood for this guy and I'm not sure why.

If I was a betting man, which I'm not, I'd bet the farm that Sherron is back next year.

The sweet thing is though, is that even if all of that happens, the Jayhawks will still have a solid squad next year and will be one of the favorites to win the Big 12 again.....not a national championship caliber team, but a real good one, none the less.

Chicago_JHawk 11 years, 5 months ago

drgnslayr - I wonder if there is a "loophole" relating to his being a medical redshirt? He was part of the team but since he sat out, he gets to play right away? I'll leave it up for the NCAA to decide, but I would think he still has to play by the transfer rules.

I've heard so many different angles to this recruiting saga, I think I'll just wait until there is some concrete news. Even the Henrys can't get their stories straight...Dad says they'll decide as soon as they sit down...X says he'll visit UK and KU again, but won't play for Memphis...CJ says Memphis is still in the picture.

The last person LS should be upset with is KU...it's a recruiting dead period, right? So how could KU convey to him that they'd like him to wait until Henry decides...or convey to X that they're still interested, for that matter?

jayhawkintexas 11 years, 5 months ago

Wouldn't it be ironic if Xavier, C.J., Wall and Stephenson end up at Kentucky and the Jayhawks beat the Wildcats for the national championship because Sherron goes off for 30 points and Cole has another triple double?? That would be classic!!! Meanwhile, Memphis head coach Digger Phelps sits at home wondering why his team didn't make either the NCAA Tournament nor the NIT Tournament!! Would be a dream come true!

rockchalkmillhouse25 11 years, 5 months ago

If it is a "dead" period how is Calipari talking to X and flying to OKC to speak with Orton? I guess the rules don't apply to him.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 5 months ago

I think KU should sign Lance. He obviously feels stronger about KU than the Henry brothers. I mean we've already played "second fiddle" to the Henry family. We're going to mess around and end up with nothing!!!

KUPROUD 11 years, 5 months ago

Notice the absence of any hints as to what HCBS is thinking, saying or doing in response to this media speculation circus. I believe he is closer to Mitch 4's comments above than some others. WE ARE KANSAS, and we want players who want to come here. Despite how the recruiting game is played, I hope we always tell recruits who are hesitant to come here that they need to consider going elsewhere, because we will continue to be strong with great players who are committed to becoming jayhawks.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 5 months ago

I am beginning to get a strong feeling that infinite J's scenario is becoming more and more the final result of this mess. If I may summarize for the record.

1] Aldrich goes pro.

2] Collins go pro.

3] The Henrys stay at Memphis so they can play together pending the new coach. Think about it, Memphis is graduating, "pro-ing" or losing committments right and left. Major PT is opening up for both of them. They get their dream and become the main men. Alternative, CJ stays at Memphis, Henry goes to U of K . No one comes to KU.

4] I feel the Henry dance killed our chance with Lance...he goes to UnderArmour, I mean, Maryland University.

5] Orton sees that Calipari is going to run his butt off; Sees that Condor has gone pro; Sees his hated rival X showing up; Sees that there is an opening in the first semester for a center; sees Danny Manning; recommits to KU.[Unless he signed on the dotted line]

6] 2009 - 2010 Jayhawks:

Center - Withey, Orton.+/- Forwards - MC, Robinson, Little, QT, MK Guards - Taylor, Johnson, Reed, Morningstar, Releford, Appleton

13 players..13 schollies.

Please feel free to shoot holes in this theory..believe me, it's the last thing I want for KU Nation!!!

jfos4 11 years, 5 months ago

I too am certainly tired of the Henry(x2)/Stephenson "As the Recruiting Turns" soap opera! My fear is that the Henrys go elsewhere and Sir Lance-alotta-hype is still pissed and goes elsewhere too. So did Coach tell Lance that he wanted to get Henry in here and to hold off an a decision? Can't see that happening. My question is, why didn't Lance just go ahead and commit to KU earlier this week as planned and the Henrys would likely have chosen somewhere else because they're playing the same position and neither primadonna wants to lose playing time to another. Frankly, we're dealing with a HUGE ego if we get either for the next year. Hopefully we'll get the Henrys or Born-Not-So-Ready to make a decision soon and get over themselves. Might help everyone's decision Sherron and Cole decide to stay or go, but that may not happen for another couple weeks and after the signing period.

arcticjhawk 11 years, 5 months ago

I agree with Mitch4Ku. To hell with the Henry kids. They passed, they lost. KU is not a backup calibre school and in my opinion, its not a place for one-and-dones either. I'd sooner groom the current players we have that are committed to being at Kansas and wait another year for a National Championship that accommodate those stuck up kids. Go with Calipari Henry kids. See you in the Championships baby! Rock Chalk from 40 below!!!

Timmay97 11 years, 5 months ago

You are all missing the obvious. At this particular point in time, after what happened to Calipari, I'm almost positive the Henry brothers would have signed with KU. I think the reason why they are not is because of the scholarship problem. I know that CJ isn't getting a scholarship either way, but still......how does KU fix the scholarship problem?

If Cole and Sherron stay, and they sign Henry or Stephenson, aren't they over by 2 scholarships? What can they do?

Do you think Self is taking into consideration the other players on the team as well? If you bring Henry or Stephenson here, they are immediate impact players. This basically means Marcus and Markieff lose playing time, as well as Morningstar too I'm sure. Tyrel Reed will end up coming off the bench for around 5 minutes a game and no more. And will Releford ever play?

I'm just looking at the big picture. I really thought Quintrell or Releford would transfer because of PT......but as of now, that's not happening. This truly is drama for KU and I hope we have a happy ending.

Lastly, lets remember there is "currently" only one person on this team that can create his own shot and that's Sherron. All the more reason why we need Henry or Stephenson to come to have someone else that can as well. Marcus Morris has proven he can't. I just don't know where they are going to find the room for any new recruit.

Brennan Keller 11 years, 5 months ago

Hawkfans, believe in Bill Self he's recruited many great players at KU! He knows what he's doing. I definitly agree that the Henry Bros are both on different pages. I have a feeling that c.j goes to a different college than Xavier. Lets just hope that we get one of the two the henry's or stephenson. But lets not forget Bill Self wouldnt sign the players he signed if he doesn't think they have some major talent. I do believe that Collins will stay at KU.. I'm still questioning about Aldrich! The morris twins will be very developed next year and they will really help. Plus, Little will be great as well! I really do hope Connor Teahen works on his three's during off season. Call me crazy but i just think if Teahen works on his three ball, then he might find himself a little playing time in 09-10. Well i have to ask one question? Does anyone think John Wall has any chance to land at KU?

lahawkfan 11 years, 5 months ago

Don't forrget UK already has a dynamic scorer in SG Jodie Meeks. Henry would be required to switch positions which could be enough of a deterent to make him say no to UK. I still say go ahead and give the scolly to Lance and tell him he is OUR guy. Xavier is a better fit, but we can't gamble on this one or we could be left out in the cold. We need another scorer to help Cole and Sherron (assuming they come back) and Stephenson could be that guy. Take the sure thing.

TexasHawk44 11 years, 5 months ago

I hope none of these kids take any of the garbage on here too seriously. On the off chance that they read any of this guessing/moaning/crying/wailing from some of us backseat driving wanna-be's (myself included), X & CJ and Lance: We want you to come to KU. Our coaching staff would not have recruited and offered if we didn't. I personally hope you make the best decision for you. Selfishly, I hope it includes KU for one of you. Either way and anyway: Rock Chalk!

JayhawkLova7 11 years, 5 months ago

Seriously this isn't Bill Self's first rodeo. But the whole thing on Lance Stephenson possibly calling Missery and K-State seems a little childish to me. But, if possibly this is true then I hope that we sign the Henry kids. Another big rivalry will be taking place with the two top kids in the nation against each other. I just don't see Lance going to play for a coach like Mike Anderson, the way he coaches isn't really a superstars way of playing. Thats just my opinion though.

On the whole scholarship problem: Why would the Henry brothers worry about it if Self has offered it to X. I mean Bill isn't going to offer a player a scholarship and then when X signs, say 'Oh I guess I miscalculated.' No, he isn't. He knows what he is doing. Kansas needs to get the best possible player and X is.

I am just confused with X though... Why, why would you choose a coach that apparently loves money over his kids? Thats not even the big deal for me though. The big deal is how? I mean how! How in the world did Memphis who plays in Conference USA get the top kids in the nation? John Calipari isn't that good of a coach. Do all these kids need to be reminded? Well I'll go ahead just in case.

Kansas won the National Championship, not Memphis! Memphis didn't have the heart and will down the stretch and guess who did, Kansas! Memphis doesn't have anything on Kansas. So, which school would you choose? Apparently John has either brainwashed these kids to follow him wherever he goes, or he has paid him big money like some of you have said before. Whatever the reason, I wouldn't sign with a coach that is willing to drop me at the call of money.

Again, Kansas or Kentucky? Hey I'm a die-hard Jayhawk fan so I can't really say what other people would do. But, I do know that Bill Self is a much, much, much better coach then John Calipari.

I really don't think we have a chance at landing John Wall, but hey who knows he might surprise us. But I doubt it very highly.

kufankam 11 years, 5 months ago

it is very humorous that some people on here are getting so put out at these kids and their decisions. fact is, it is an important decision and they owe NOTHING to poster's on kusports.com. yet, people post things as if it is completely unreasonable for these kids to try to make an informed decision. it would be one thing if they were taking all sorts of visits to bask in the attention. but there not. they are simply trying to find time to get together as a family to talk about the future of thier son's careers. the only difference is that it is being followed minute by minute. if you're two son's were wieghing decisions that could have million dollar implications, wouldn't you want them to think long and hard about it. calm down people. these kids have the right to go wherever they want and they have the right to think about it as much as needed. it wouldnt be as dramatic except that recruiting blog sites post updates at every turn. it is not like the henry's are calling rivals and scouts and saying, "nothing yet... just thought you should let the world know". all they are doing is giving honest info when people call them up and then that person turns around and prints it for the world to see. i am sure the Henry family would be just fine if they didn't have to talk to recruiting service/news reporters every second of the day. then they could peacefully make a huge decision regardless of what kusports.com lowlifes like us think.

jhawks 11 years, 5 months ago

FairgroveJayhawk 11 years, 5 months ago

This old news is getting so old. Superior rumor mills generated from talk radio and "people close to the situation". Same old stuff, different day. I wonder how calicrappy is going to stir the pot next week. Actually, I believe I'll wait until the end of next week to read anything, I bet we have the same amount of "new" news as we do now.

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 5 months ago

Jayhawklova7- I've asked it before just like you just did, how does he get these recruits to commit to play for him over other coaches/schools? There sure isn't a legacy of Memphis players in the NBA that he recruted with his "connections" to the league as an advatage over other coaches. Why did they keep falling into that trap, or was there some other draw to play for him? Let's see if he can do it at UK with their boosters and scrutiny from the school and the NCAA. Don't be surprised to hear that violations are discovered from his Memphis days. There will be players who don't appreciate his leaving in the manor that he just did, leaving them with such a void. They may be the ones to "rat" him out.

Funny that Cal is making all of this noise for himself while Bill Self is merely receiving Coach of the Year awards. What a contrast! Cal is an underachiever while Bill is an overachiever. You'll never see Cal's name on an arena or basketball court anywhere. Bill may not believe in that kind of stuff, but could deserve it down the road for sure. He's been busy negotiating programs and facilities for KU and the community within his new contract (last year) while Cal was promoting himself in order to position himself for a future move like he just made. My perception of the two men is simply integrity vs. self-promotion.

cklarock 11 years, 5 months ago

810 Sports is a joke. I'm sure that was some idiot shock-jock trying to pull our chain.

I don't know if we'll get either of the Henry boys or Stephenson, but I have to tell you, I think any one of those three guys would be great for us.

But don't forget, we've already got two 5-star recruits in this class, as well as Jeff Withey. Even with the potential of NBA defections, we're loaded next year.

Remember, we've only begun to glimpse the ceiling of Tyshawn and the twins, and I'm convinced Mario Little has more to show us as well. After Christmas, we'll have a legit big in Withey, who will have had a year out to get bigger and learn the system.

All is well in Jayhawk land, regardless of how this off-season pans out.

TexasHawk44 11 years, 5 months ago

kufankam: Could not agree more. It i a big deal for these kids. For them choosing a college basketball program is not a lot different that someone else's kid choosing the best engineering program or pre-law school etc.

In the case of true blue chip players, it doesn't matter if they are one and done or if they graduate -- they are using college ball as a platform to get to play basketball professionally either in the NBA or overseas. Would you begrudge your neighbor's kid from choosing Harvard over Yale law? I mean could you really? I know there are some donkey's who probably would but you get my meaning.

I believe Self is a better coach than Cal but it doesn't really matter what I or anyone on this board thinks. It matters what these kids and their folks think. I mean KU is great program but if you are a UK fan you can say the same thing. I don't like Cal but what if it would have been Cal hired rather than Self back in the day and he had won us a championship and kept the program's nose clean in doing so?

I mean let's give these kids a break. Let's give our coaching staff a break. Everyone is doing all that they can for their own self interest and that is okay. These are two top ten recruits who play the same position. If we get them, great! If we don't: it is not the end of KU basketball. My God, we just won a title last season!

We should be happy we made such a great hire in Bill Self. He is a great recruiter (despite what happens with this year's incoming players) and a genius at putting the right parts together to build a great team. He is also pretty darned good with the X's and O's.

Consider ourselves blessed to be either graduates and/or fans of a great University with an incredible basketball program. The fact that you could count on one hand the number of coaches who deep down would not trade their program for ours is very enviable place to be.

Instead of getting on here and bashing X or CJ for considering UK or other places -- or ragging on Lance for delaying his decision or his "bad" play in a meaningless All-Star game, let's be thankful that these incredibly talented athletes are considering our incredible program and see what happens.

The Jayhawks are not about one season, we are about a legacy that is continuing to grow.

mbmerriman 11 years, 5 months ago

Henrys to kentucky Cole to the nba Orton and stephenson to KU

milehighhawk 11 years, 5 months ago

I can't believe some of the comments here about the Henry kids.

What's wrong with you?

Jesus...they'll have an answer in a couple weeks. They are demonstrating greater patience than you are right now.

Chill the eff out, folks, and let HCBS take care of business.

Blake Post 11 years, 5 months ago

I agree millhouse. Duke is Puke. Been hatin' on them for a long time. Carl Henry was a great player at KU. I have been waiting for great offspring of great KU players, so I wish they would come. I'm not certain whether coach has shown any interest in CJ, but if not, that would be key to getting Xavier, I would guess.

4th down, Reesing to Meier... dagger in heart of mizZOO... never gets old.

Jaminrawk 11 years, 5 months ago

If I were Bill Self, I would just call them both and say:

"Look, I know this is an important decision for your career. KU would love to have you as an addition, but we also need to start working towards our goal of a national championship next year. We want recruits that want to be here and compete for the national title. Who ever commits first, we will not say no."

TexasHawk44 11 years, 5 months ago

hawkman: KU recruitied CJ pretty hard before he went baseball and then to Memphis. KU has lots of the love the Henry brothers. It is just a matter of what the brothers and his family decide to do. We can rest assured that Self and company have done and are continuing to do everything they can to land the Henry brothers. If it doesn't happen: Que sera, sera. It won't be for lack of trying on KU's part and if we do get them, it won't have anything to do with us knucklehead posters.

rockchalkmillhouse25 11 years, 5 months ago

I am so sick of all the rumors and all the different stories coming out. I just read on zagsblog that the Henry brothers might stay at memphis depending on who the next coach is. This is getting crazy. I have a feeling that we wont get X or Lance. It would be great to be wrong....but if they don't want to come here thats their problem. There is no better place to play in the country and if they are all to dumb to realize it so be it!!!

kltbadboyz 11 years, 5 months ago

I think the longer the Henrys take to decide the more likely they will not choose KU. I mean they know what KU has to offer, not much has changed. I think Lance made a smart decision of waiting to see where X goes. I could understand why he wouldn't want to play with X. Hopefully if X doesn't choose KU, Lance won't have any hard feelings towards us and decides to come here. If I was Henry,Kentucky would be an extremely hard sell. I mean what one and done player wants to go to a team where the whole team is learning the new system. If X needs help with something what players are going to show him the correct way to do it and some of the players staying at UK might find out that they don't fit the system after one year. The key to everything will probably be whether Meeks, Collins, and Aldrich go pro. Hopefully we land one of these guys soon.

Justin LoBurgio 11 years, 5 months ago

Have faith in your AP Coach of the Year. All things will work out in the end.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 5 months ago

I haven't had time to read all the posts, but I could see a situation where KU loses out on all these guys. Personally, I like the idea of having Stephenson more so than Henry on the team. A lot of you are being awful hard on Stephenson and his family. IMHO the Henry family and especially the boys are the one's that are being Divas in this whole situation. I have a bad feeling about how this will all work out. If I was KU and the coaching staff I would sign Lance Stephenson. Lance Stephenson is no way 50 percent of X, but I would rather have 50 percent of something than 100 percent of nothing. KU needs a scoring 2/3 and X and Stephenson fit that bill. I don't care which one we get. I just feel like the Henry family is getting a "Free Pass" in this whole situation and using the Stephenson family as the scape goat. Sign Lance Stephenson!!!!!!

kusarge 11 years, 5 months ago

This is certainly not news, in the literal sense. These recruits think they are bigger than the schools they are considering? Go ahead and go somewhere else then! We don't need a cancer who thinks he should come in and net PT over proven players who know the system, etc. Oh yeah, did I mention DEFENSE. Sit your ass at the end of the bench if you're not going to play on both ends. This extra drama supplied by Coach Cal, who isn't even a proven winner in a competitive league yet, is REDONKULOUS. Please give us news when there is some - not that these guys are delaying their choices. That's not news, that's expected.

Craig Lang 11 years, 5 months ago

At this point, I would rather that we land Stephenson than the Henry bros. Both C.J. and Xavier have dissed KU, and I don't think the situation at Memphis/Kentucky is reason to let them come crawling back.

I understand playing time is a factor for all three players, but Stephenson seems like he will be more willing to play second fiddle to Sherron, whereas Xavier wants to be the leader of the team in his first year. That's not the kind of team Self coaches, and I don't think he'll be as good of a fit here as Stephenson would be.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 5 months ago

"All things work out.... in the end."

Unfortunately, hail2olku [which, by the way, is now my second favorite ID right behind Bobbyfissure], the key word missing is "right". All the posts defending these kids are absolutely correct.. It is their lives, their futures and right or wrong, their decisions.

All I am trying to do is emphasize is the POSSIBILITY that next year none of these young men will be at Kansas plus Sherron and Condor will both be gone.

Will we have enough to be good..absolutely!!! Will we have enough to great...????????????...the potential is there but it's a much steeper climb.

Anyway, congratulations to Bill Self named Coach of the Year while NOT winning the NC. I live in St.Louis so am exposed to lots of Illini BBall. When I heard KU got Bill, I screamed from my balcony..KU just got a future NC. Let's add some more. GREAT WORK to HCBS and the whole staff!!!!!

Jeff Hargate 11 years, 5 months ago

As KU fans we should know 1st hand what the draw of Kentucky is. They are the winningest school of all-time. Why would someone not want to 1) coach there or 2) play there. With Kentucky "booting" 2 recruits for next year it opens up atleast 3 spots for them...meaning...we are not in as good a posititon as they are at the moment.

One part of this saga I do not understand is how can Lance think we are pursuing Xavier? We cannot contact him until Memphis releases him from his commitment and as of now I still don't think they have. Shouldn't Lance just accept our offer (if he really wants to play here) and that's the end of it. If someone from the KU staff leaked it out that we would rather have Xavier they need to be fired. I understand that this is a business, but nobody needs to be in the business of basketball trafficing 18 year old boys no matter how big their ego is. This whole situation smells like a$$ and we could end up on the wrong end of it really fast.

David Friend 11 years, 5 months ago

From Andy Katz at ESPN.

" Kansas coach Bill Self received the Henry Iba USBWA coach of the year award for leading the Jayhawks to the Big 12 title after losing all five starters off the 2008 national championship team. Self said he hasn't heard from Sherron Collins or Cole Aldrich yet on their decisions on the NBA draft. But he said there's a good chance both will return. If they do, then the Jayhawks could be one of the preseason top-5 teams. Kansas is waiting to see if it will land Xavier Henry, the No. 1-ranked player in the ESPNU 100, and No. 8 Lance Stephenson. Henry signed with Memphis but is expected to leave now that John Calipari is the head coach at Kentucky. Henry chose Memphis over Kansas. Stephenson is still undecided"

ku_foaf 11 years, 5 months ago

Is the relationship between Carl Henry and Calipari pretty strong? Carl was on Larry Brown's first KU team, and I think Calipari was a grad assistant at the time. I've always assumed this played a large part in this.

trader 11 years, 5 months ago

At Kansas it is about the name on the front of the Jersey and I respect Bill Self for honoring that tradition. He knows what b-ball strategy it takes to win championships. And, he finds the players to run his ball game.

TheShot122293 11 years, 5 months ago

I agree with those that the best thing to happen would be to let Lance Stephenson know he's our guy, get his commitment, and sign him. The Henry brothers have turned down KU in the past. They had every right to do this, obviously, but that is their decision. I believe that Kansas is second to no one in the country. I always got the impression that Roy felt differently, that he couldn't win the head-to-head recruiting wars on the east coast against the Carolina schools. I get the impression that Bill Self thinks that with Kansas on his jacket, he can go head-to-head with anyone.

The absolute best news in all of this mess is that we have Bill Self, not John Calipari or ANYONE else, at the helm. He's going to make the right decisions.

Brennan Keller 11 years, 5 months ago

Hawkfans, as i said earlier yes, we do need at least one of these players: Henry brothers, Orton, Stephenson, Wall. We already have two solid commits Johnson, and Robinson. But guys dont forget about who we still have coming back for next year.

I see some possibilites that these following players have the potential to put in some minutes if they work hard enough and improve during the offseason

Connor Teahen- Lots of potential. Great three point shooter Tyrone Appleton- Solid player Travis Releford- Have a feeling he might transfer. He has to much talent to sit on the bench at KU. Mario Little- Has lots of potential, will improve and be a threat for KU. Jeff Whitey-Already in my perspective has a starting role if Aldrich leaves. If Aldrich stays he will give the big man time to actually rest during a game.(notice: he can't play until January because he transferred from Arizona.)

If Collins stays we will have a great frontcourt! I have a gut feeling Collins will return for his senior year.

Nontheless, The Kansas Jayhawks are going to return a talented group of players! We will win the Big 12 next year, and make the Final Four. Bottomline, if we get one of the recruits Kansas is after we will be in good shape!

Let me know what you think

Mitch_4_KU 11 years, 5 months ago

I only am concerned that IF Stevenson and Henry & Henry choose KU, the current players with scholarships are going to be put into jeopardy. We don't have enough open scholarships to have all 3 receive a scholarship. What do we do, tell a couple of players to pay their own way? Ask a few to transfer? Tell Collins or Aldrich to jump to the NBA? FOR WHAT? A possible run at the NCAA title with 2 probable "one & done" players? No thanks. I truly don't believe Bill Self would do that to the players he has. If he did, I would be very very very upset.

jayhawkboogeyman 11 years, 5 months ago

We have two solid kids coming in already. Let's give this year's team + Johnson and Robinson a year to gel together and make a run. Then, Collins, Appleton, and Little will all open up scholarships, and we can bring in the next big thing for the 2010-11 class (next year's Henry, Stephenson, etc.) as the missing supplement to this year's freshman, then juniors (Taylor, Morrises, Releford + Withey) and we should be set. This is Kansas, we will be Big XII champs and Sweet 16 even in an OK year, and Final 4/NC contenders more years than not. Getting this kids would be great, but we don't need to whore out our program and displace a kid who worked all year for this team to get a one-and-done showoff who may not even be able to defend well enough for big minutes in Bill's system. In the end, hard work and commitment make our program the best in the country, not the five stars you got in HS.

fansincewilt 11 years, 5 months ago

If Henry is a one and done, I would go with Stephenson. If Stephenson is a one and done, I would like to find another Collins. If there were one out there, that is what is needed. I might be tempted to think that Stephenson might give us a couple of years.

Jeff Hargate 11 years, 5 months ago

We need a legitimate 3 to make a run. Releford could be the guy if he matures and plays to his potential. He has to get his 3 ball going. Mario Little...should have red-shirted. I love what Brady brings to the team, but unless he can score consistantly...and grow 3 inches...he should be a reserve. A one-and-done Xavier or Lance could be (along with red-shirting Releford and assuming they are as good as advertised) very beneficial to the future of KU b-ball.

af13 11 years, 5 months ago

I'm kind of tired of the obsession with the one-and-dones. I'm a firm believer that experience breeds championships, so we should be focusing our attention on players that will form a core nucleus that will stay for 3 or 4 years and lead us to another championship. Out of the 4 teams left this year, 10 starters are seniors, 8 are juniors, one is a sophmore, and one is a freshman. I'm not saying that is the only way to win, but it just seems like the most likely.

Afterall, It isn't everyday you can win a championship with 2 freshman and 2 sophmores starting (unless they scoring machines like Carmelo Anthony, a ridiculously streaker shooter who can nail like 6 threes from 10 feet beyond the arc like Gerry McNamara, and long-armed shot blocker like Hakim Warrick). But, it isn't like I'm still bitter about that or anything....

mjhawk 11 years, 5 months ago

Ugh, following this saga is beginning to tire me out. It seems that for months I've rolled out of bed and searched the names of each of these top recruits in a news.google search---which I know is very sad. I do another search at lunch and then before leaving work. I think I've read every article, blog and comment that one person could read and I'm still lost. I've listened to radio reports and I have followed ESPNU as often as possible. As you all know, at one time several months ago KU appeared as a top choice for several highly ranked players. Wall, Henry, Snaer and others. When Snaer announced he was going to FSU I was p*ssed, when I heard X decided he wanted to go to Memphis I was heartbroken. When I realized CJ had walked on at Memphis I laughed in disbelief. Once my head stopped spinning I got on the Lance bandwagon and monitored his developments as often as possible. The guy scared me at first, he didn't appear to be a team guy and seemed overhyped. To be honest the guy grew on me. It really seemed that outside of making it to the NBA and getting paid, I thought that if this dude is willing to come to Kansas he can't be all bad. It really seemed to me that KU was viewed as a safe haven for a kid from the streets --- not only by Lance but also by his parents. That kind of made me feel proud not only as a KU fan, but as a KANSAN. As much as I hate to say it, I say we should have taken Lance and let X and CJ go to Kentucky with Cal. I trust HCBS, but after seeing the way this recruiting season has panned out I say we should have taken the possible-for-sure-deal in Lance.

I have just one other question. Where was the boost we should have gotten from winning the National Title? I was in San Antonio and was lucky enough to watch that game in person. When we won I thought there's no stopping us on the recruiting trail, but then I saw at least three recruits decide on Memphis over KU. Strange!

100 11 years, 5 months ago

I have a bad feeling about Henry too, which could end up meaning Stephenson grabbing a national championship ring instead of X. Since X is taking two more visits at least (one to KU & one to UK), we still have a shot. What UK doesn't have going for it is the family atmosphere of the team that Xavier was so close to. There is no mansion to live in, and quite frankly the student life there is nothing compared to Lawrence. X might know that now, but he will certainly see it when he visits. It's night & day.

The friendships he has built at KU too.

Right now it looks like UK -- however, it could change quickly -- just wait for his visits.

In the end, it depends if he wants a ring or not (right now we are hands down the best team in America) and wants to be around a true (not fake) community and a coach who develops players for the NBA.

It also depends if he wants to risk being on probation with UK

Kevin John 11 years, 5 months ago

XAVIER PASSED ON HIS CHANCE FOR A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. WE WANT LANCE !!!!!

Lin Rahardja 11 years, 5 months ago

Lance has a higher ceiling than X, but X will fit better to current KU rosters. We need that consistent third scoring threat on the wing, someone who can create his own shot consistently. X is also a consistent jump shooter, while Lance is better at shake and bake. Lance historically and potentially can bring distraction off the court, but Lawrence could be an environment where Lance can bounce back and show the world that he can fit in.

Thanks to Calipari, hopefully KU BB program can come out ahead of this fiasco.

Jack Wilson 11 years, 5 months ago

We won't get either of them .. when the really hot girl dumps you, and you latch onto the next best thing .. and the really hot girl leads you on .. you don't dump the next best thing. If you do, you end up with nothing.

Greg Lux 11 years, 5 months ago

Whatever happens I hope it happes faster then slower. If X and C.J. are coming to KU then do it now and let L make his decision. I can see where we lose all of them if this drags out too long. Stevenson is ego driven and he wants to be wanted (aka as in first choice) by Kansas. It's not in KU's best interest to let this drag on too long even though I know its not there decision it can look bad. Heck lets take all three and sort it out on the court.

Rock Chalk