Friday, April 3, 2009

Equal play

To the editor:

Congratulations to the KU women’s basketball team on making the championship game of the WNIT.

And, shame on the J-W for not routinely interviewing the girls on the team (aside from a comment or two from Danielle McCray). If it were the men’s team in the Final Four (and no disrespect, guys!), Cole Aldrich, Sherron Collins, Brady Morningstar, Marcus Morris and/or Markieff Morris, Danny Manning and Coach Self would’ve likely ALL been interviewed. Why can’t you take the time to interview the gals?

And why didn’t we have a two-page spread in the middle of the sports section, with color photos of the game? With stats, “Go figure” and all of the accoutrements that come with the reports on the men’s games?

Let’s show our women’s team that we REALLY support them: Show ’em the love, get out to the games, interview these young women (as you would the men), and put THEIR photos (not just one color photo and one black and white photo) all over the middle-spread of the sports section! They ARE our winners in March Madness!

Lawrence

Comments

stravinsky 10 years, 9 months ago

Not to sound like callous, but I think the answer to that question lies in a couple of things. First the readership is more interested in mens basketball, and so the media is going to naturally write things that appeals to more of the readership. I mean, it sucks, but look at how hard and expensive it is to get season tickets for the mens' basketball, and how students camp out for days, while for womens basketball they can hardly get students to go to the games, even tournament games, all of which are free. Hopefully this'll change with continued success of the women's program.

Also, it's the NIT. I mean, I think it's freaking sweet that they're in the championship, but womens NIT and mens NCAA championship just don't have the same draw.

Sorry to start it off with a downer dose. That said, go lady hawks! I'm stoked for them playing the championship game, here in lawrence, and hopefully I'll make it on saturday.

RockChalkJayBlog 10 years, 9 months ago

stravinsky....If the KU men were in the NIT, they'd still get full coverage.

So that's a lame excuse.

slantrox 10 years, 9 months ago

I have three basketball playing daughters...they check the JW every day to see if there is any stories on the MEN'S team! They are happy the women are playing in the WNIT final, and we will watch it on CBS College, but I guarantee they won't be heart-broken if there isn't 10 stories about the women's team in the next two days!

MinnesotaJay 10 years, 9 months ago

It's pretty hard to disagree with the sentiment expressed in this piece. It has been disappointing to observe the coverage the women's team has routinely received from various media.It 'should' be better.

But, the problem with pieces like this, and with my last comment above, is that it's easy to speak of what others 'should' be doing, like we really know what's involved in running their enterprises.

Nonetheless, it would be nice to see better coverage. And, I'm absolutely certain that the coverage will improve, but not because it 'should' happen. All you have to do is go to one of the women's games. When you see how good they are, and get hooked into their passion (I mean, they are out there wearing Jayhawk uniforms, giving everything they've got on behalf of the school), you will want to go to more of their games.

And, this WNIT success is getting the ball rolling. More people are seeing the games. This is generating more excitement which will undoubtedly spill over into next season, at least incrementally versus this past season, and the coverage will pick up in response.

KUPROUD 10 years, 9 months ago

Hey, it's great that this is even an issue. That means the women are doing something they don't usually do and are getting attention for it. It's not quite where we all want it to be, like competing for the league and national titles, but it's a step in the right direction. So keep wanting more, and there's a good chance that it will happen.

stravinsky 10 years, 9 months ago

Oh yeah, I'm not saying they shouldn't get more coverage, but I was just being honest at why I thought they didn't get as much coverage. I don't think I can agree with "shame on the LJ world" for catering to public tastes and popularity, thats sort of what the media does and stuff.

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 9 months ago

Coverage of the women's team sure wouldn't take away from the men's coverage. There is nothing about the men now except rehashing the same old recruiting or going to the NBA stuff.

KUFan90 10 years, 9 months ago

I agree stravinsky, couldn't have said it better myself.

FlaHawk 10 years, 9 months ago

THe LJW coverage sucks for eerything but Football and Men's Basketball. Baseball, Track, Swimming get scant mention in passage. Women's BB coverage is above all of these other sports, which happen to be revenue producing for KU AD.

Woman's BB is rarely a revenue producing sport. It has the potential but KU is a few season's away from breaking even in this sport.

Bill Kackley 10 years, 9 months ago

I partially agree with the letter to the editor. The LJW can help all KU sports with better coverage. Better coverage will help attendence.

nobody1793 10 years, 9 months ago

"If the KU men were in the NIT, they'd still get full coverage"

If the KU men were in the NIT, people would be calling for Bill Self to be fired...

MinnesotaJay 10 years, 9 months ago

Maxhawk (anonymous) says... You want the truth? You probably can't handle the truth. Nobody cares if the women's team is in the NIT final.

Hey, man. Maybe that's your truth, but there are going to be around 12,000 Jayhawk fans at Allen Fieldhouse tomorrow who will be rooting like crazy for the women's team. I hope you will at least acknowledge that they may have a different truth from yours.

Additionally, there will be vastly more fans than that who are too far away to get to the game, but will be either watching it on cable or listening to the online radio broadcast. I respect your right to not be all that into it, but 'nobody cares' is not only an overstatement, it's flat out horsesh*t.

sevenyearhawk 10 years, 9 months ago

I'd say the revenue earning potential of women's basketball is just about to be unleashed ...

4mertiger 10 years, 9 months ago

I think it's a chicken and egg thing - if the women were reported on better and, of course, if they won more - then they'd have the attendance and therefore get more coverage. Familiarity with the players is a big part of why we care about sports. When we don't know the women players, we aren't invested in them. Don't forget, too - the power structure in sports writing is male. They're going to say men's games and male athletes are more interesting.

I'm particularly disgusted by that lame "they don't dunk" excuse I've heard so often. I understand we have someone on the women's team who does dunk this year, but the way I understand the game the point is to get the ball into the basket. HOW that's done doesn't get any more points. Since it's more difficult for the women - who are shorter than many men players - to get the ball in, isn't it more interesting to see how they get the job done? And isn't it more of a challenge for them?

My son played in the band for women's basketball from 1996-99, and I had a blast going to the games. There was plenty of excitement, good basketball and good athletes playing it to watch, and It was great fun. I'd love to go to the game tomorrow but don't have time to travel 300 miles to Lawrence for it.

A championship game in any sport is special - Go Hawks!