Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Recruit Henry’s dad: KU in the mix

No current basketball recruits took part in tonight's McDonald's All-American game, but KU had two prep players to keep an eye on.

The Henry family is scheduled to meet at 6 p.m. today in Oklahoma City to discuss the futures of basketball-playing brothers Xavier and C.J. Henry.

Former Kansas University guard Carl Henry — father of the Henry siblings — told the Journal-World late Wednesday afternoon he hopes Xavier and C.J. choose a school during their family get-together.

“I hope he comes in and says, ‘I want to go here,’’’ Carl Henry said of Xavier telling mom and dad exactly where he wants to land next season.

Xavier, a 6-foot-6 senior guard from Putnam City High who chose Memphis over KU last November, asked for his release from his Memphis letter of intent Wednesday in response to Tiger coach John Calipari taking the Kentucky job.

C.J., a 6-3 freshman walk-on at Memphis, will leave Memphis and likely will attend the same school as his brother. C.J. committed to KU his senior year of high school only to sign a pro baseball contract with the New York Yankees. As part of the deal, the Yankees are required to pay C.J.’s college tuition, so he will be a walk-on wherever he lands.

“Actually, I hope to know something Thursday night. One of my sons (Xavier) is in Miami at the McDonald’s game. The other (C.J.) is in school (at Memphis),” Carl Henry said.

“Both of them are upset (at Calipari leaving Memphis), but until we talk Thursday, I don’t know what they are thinking,” Carl Henry added.

He said KU was definitely “in the mix.” He said he didn’t know if Xavier and C.J. would consider Kentucky now that Calipari is there. Xavier told reporters after the McDonald’s game that he still could visit Kentucky and/or other schools or could make a quick decision during the family meeting, or shortly after.

Carl Henry said he was not miffed at Calipari for leaving Memphis for Kentucky.

“I’m not mad at him. It’s something he wants to do,” Carl said. “I figure Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA ... to me, you’ve got to go. Those are dream jobs.”

As far as his preference to his sons’ final destination, Carl said, “It makes no difference.”

He said he had not talked to KU coach Bill Self yet about this week’s developments. He just hopes his sons’ futures are decided soon. Xavier, who scored 14 points off 5-of-11 shooting (three of six threes) with five rebounds in Wednesday’s McDonald’s game, said after the game only one thing was for certain.

“I won’t be attending Memphis,” he said. “I have to open my eyes and find a new place, a new home.”

Stephenson still deciding: Lance Stephenson, a 6-5 guard from Lincoln High in Brooklyn, N.Y., scored 12 points off 6-of-11 shooting with six assists, six turnovers and four rebounds in the McDonald’s game.

He originally had planned to announce for KU, St. John’s or Maryland on Tuesday, but now is uncertain when he’ll choose one of those three.

“Lance and his pops are saying they want to take their time, which is what they’ve told SLAM as well, though I have to believe the Coach Cal-to-Kentucky move is a big factor,” wrote Ben Osborne of SLAM Magazine. “Coach Cal’s defection could have all sorts of domino effects, recruiting wise, including our man Xavier maybe reconsidering Kansas, which would make Lance and Kansas reconsider each other.”

Lance Stephenson, Sr., told the New York Daily News overseas remains a possibility.

“I’m glad he has other options beside college and we’re going to evaluate everything," the elder Stephenson told the magazine.

Sonny Vaccaro, a former shoe-company executive, gave his take to the Daily News: “Things have happened so fast for Lance. I think he’s confused. He’s put himself in a box. There’s no prize for him doing it early. Wait till the bottom of the ninth.”

Comments

Jeffery Barrett 11 years, 2 months ago

Come one, come all. HCBS will figure it out!!!

Side note: If they do come to KU, hopefully they will be better than the other brothers here.

AaronHawk19 11 years, 2 months ago

Despite what some others on here believe. X and C.J. are heading to Lawrence. I just have this feeling that X knows if he signs here, he will start, he and his family are familiar with Lawrence, and the process will be much simpler.

Justin LoBurgio 11 years, 2 months ago

From ESPN.com

"The nation's top-ranked high school player, Xavier Henry, a 6-6 guard from Oklahoma City, is not expected to follow Calipari, however. Henry, who also is in Miami for the McDonald's All-American game, told ESPN on Wednesday that his parents already have submitted the paperwork for his release from the national letter of intent he signed with Memphis.

Henry, whose only official visits were to Kansas and Memphis, said he will reopen the recruiting process and consult with his family, adding that he has spoken with Calipari since the hiring announcement."

FairgroveJayhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

dont know if a player transfering due to a coach leaving would require them to sit out a year. i would assume so.

SGTJB - I have felt the same way at times but under the direction of the coaching staff I am pretty certain we will be able to remark highly on thier progress over the next couple seasons.

kupark 11 years, 2 months ago

Yes, I think he will still have to sit out a year even though he is transferring because of Calipari leaving. It sounds unfair but if they don't have this rule, then whenever a coach makes a move a university is going to loose several players as well. This penalty makes sure that won't happen often.

Chicago_JHawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Interesting that they haven't talked to HCBS yet.. Suppose they sit down tomorrow night and X says "I want to go to KU". What then? Do they announce they're coming? Does Self give Stephenson a chance to decide one way or another right then, since he's technically who has the offer on the table right now?

jcneiman 11 years, 2 months ago

I believe that's right. If memory serves me, Nick Bahe had to sit out a year after transfering to Creighton.

BCRavenJHawkfan 11 years, 2 months ago

I just watched the first half of the Micky D's allstar game and it would appear that Henry would be worth all the hand wringing.

Stephenson on the other hand, pleeeeeze. In this Micky D game Stephenson has tripped over the ball, went the length of the floor and got blocked, went three quarters of the floor and double dribbled, hung around the three point line, played the snow bird in hopes of a long outlet pass (looking for that dunk I'm sure), and scored two points but I don't know how. Someone tell me this is not this guys game. If it is, shutter the thought.

kansas22 11 years, 2 months ago

If the Yankees are required to pay C.J. Henry's tuition, then does that mean that we won't have to use up a scholarship on him if the two of them do decide to come here? I mean if the Yankees are paying for his tuition that makes it sound like he could just be a walk-on and still be going to school for free. Just wondering.....

Scott Smetana 11 years, 2 months ago

I live in Colorado....
Being a huge Jayhawk and Bronco fan, I'm in the middle of Trade/Draft/Recruit craziness!

I propose Jay Cutler to Detroit, Xavier and little Bro to Kansas, Calipari back to Car Salesman School, Cassel to the Broncos, Marty back to the Chiefs, Bob Knight to Memphis, and March Madness to ESPN.

Agree?

Jonathan Allison 11 years, 1 month ago

Kansas22,

Yes, CJ counts as a walk-on. He does not take up an athletic scholarship. Xavier and CJ is essentially a 2 for 1 deal. Can't beat it. Of course Xavier will likely be off to the NBA after one year and CJ won't even see the court while he and his brother are teammates. Or maybe that would give Xavier incentive to stick around for two years...

I hope they come to KU. Despite the brief love affair with Memphis and Coach Cal, I believe that the Henry's are a classy bunch.

TenaciousD 11 years, 1 month ago

Smitty -

That was hilarious !! Thanks for that. I agree. Especially March Madness to ESPN. One channel (CBS) to house all of those games? Greg Gumble...Clark Kellogg... pathetic. ESPN/ABC could show nearly everything simultaneously.

Cheers.

Derek Conway 11 years, 1 month ago

This is absolutely crazy! All of these players deciding where they are going to attend college, in what is considered to be a top notch requiting class as a whole. As for KU, how many more guys can we possibly bring in? Will anyone leave? Will somebody give up their scholarship? Will we even land one of these guys? WOW!!! We are sure to learn a lot in the days to come. Gotta feel for the KU bench players right now though. They have put in so much hard work and effort it would be a shame so see some of them have to leave. In the end though, I know it will all work out for the best.

Proud to be a Jayhawk!

jchawkfan 11 years, 1 month ago

Just watched the Micky D's Allstar game. Man did X look stacked or what. Looks like he has been putting some time in the weight room. I thought X looked good and Stephenson looked ok. Took Stephenson awhile to settle down. Hard to base anything off of those kind of games. Both would definatly help on the wing.

Dillon Davis 11 years, 1 month ago

I wouldn't get too excited guys. Just because Xavier and his family are meeting thursday doesn't mean they'll have a decision Thursday. They'll probably just tell us when they plan on announcing and maybe who they're considering. I mean the Calipari to Memphis thing just happened. There's no way he could be ready that quick to make a decision. It's possible he could decide but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't.

rockbrooklynchalk 11 years, 1 month ago

This recruiting offseason has been crazy, so who knows what is actually going to happen, but Jayhawk Slant and Rivals think that Xavier is going to commit to KU tomorrow.

I also watched the full game tonight - Stephenson played terrible in the first half and was whining about a ton of calls. That said, he was hands down the best player on the floor for the last 10 minutes. Prima donna, yes, but a ton of talent. Xavier is a physical specimen but didn't get that many chances to touch the ball, but he's definitely unselfish. He must have thrown half a dozen outlet passes for uncontested dunks tonight.

Former KU wing targets Michael Snaer and Dominic Cheek looked really good. Snaer was really the only guy on the floor playing hard-nosed defense and was very aggressive and crafty taking the ball to the hole. He reminded me of a stronger and more athletic version of Keith Langford. Would have loved to have him. Cheek is the least imposing of the four physically, but the kid can flat out shoot. He was draining NBA threes and has an effortless stroke. Villanova's backcourt is going to be really good for at least the next two years.

kufankam 11 years, 1 month ago

Gary Bedore,

"The Henry family will meet at 6 p.m., Thursday, in Putnam City, Okla., to discuss the futures of basketball-playing brothers Xavier and C.J. Henry."

I am not trying to be a wise guy...

Just fyi, Putnam City is simply a school district-not an actual city. It is located in OKC (actually, Warr Acres which is a small city that is in the middle of OKC). It is certainly strange to have a school linked to a city that doesn't exist but that is just the way it is... and I just thought that this may help for future articles.

WisconsinJayhawk 11 years, 1 month ago

I thought it was very intersting that Carl would like Xavier pick a school after Thursday's meeting. He only visited Kansas and Memphis. He's never been to Kentucky. He's stated he won't attend Memphis. There's almost no chance he'd commit to Kentucky sight unseen; if he's going to decide in the next few days, it almost has to be KU.

That said, I also liked Stephenson's game in the McD Game. A little sloppy like all the kids at times, but I liked his attitude: giving up the ball to a teammate when appropriate, high-fiving a teammate after a block, (appluading defense-- what a concept in the Mcikey D game), and the like. I think the guy really likes to win, not just be the star; and 4 straight NY state championships prove it. He could be as good or better than Henry; if we get either guy, we are going to be in great shape.

kansaspike 11 years, 1 month ago

X getting out of his letter to come to KU remind you of anybody else?

Kirk Heinrich via Iowa St. after Tim Floyd left.

....that turned out pretty good.

IlikeKUabuttton 11 years, 1 month ago

Not that our team is full of academic christian boys but Lance is trouble. I want Henry bros. or Wall or no one. CJ sat out this season...would that effect his eligibility?

rockbrooklynchalk 11 years, 1 month ago

Unrelated - Tim Floyd is leaving USC to taking the Arizona job

And the recruiting wheel keeps turning - wonder what this means for Renardo Sidney.

Jeffery Barrett 11 years, 1 month ago

Personal opinion......Stephenson had a lot on his mind tonight. I don't think he has decided yet.

rockbrooklynchalk 11 years, 1 month ago

KUabuttton - There's nothing in that article that's any different from Sherron's background. Like Lance, he too fathered a child, he too had a sexual misconduct court case brought against him, he too is a product of a bleak but competitive inner city environment. And I'd have to say that he too would work out very nicely for the Jayhawks. I'd love to have Lance.

kerbyd 11 years, 1 month ago

I'm kinda concerned about some of you guys. Do you understand what a walkon is? There is no problem with transferring cause they pay their own way. (or the yankees do) I agree with rockbrooklyn. Lance is like a lot of kids now days.

mbmerriman 11 years, 1 month ago

great article gry, thanks for the update. I too expect Zav-e-a to commit sometime in the next week hopefully before Cole and Sherron decide. Maybe the addition of X would make them want to give it another run. That is wishful thinking though until anything is decided for sure.

Pittsburgh_Jayhawk 11 years, 1 month ago

If the Henry's, Stephenson, and Wall all come, who are the three players that leave? Coach Self has been clear that he will not take away scholarships from existing players. I'm wondering if he is anticipating Cole or Sherron heading out????

Chris Shaw 11 years, 1 month ago

I also just got done watching the game. I was a little later because I had to Tivo the game. Anyway, as some of the other posters stated it's hard to judge from these all-star games, but here is my assessment.

KU Recruits:

I was impressed with both Stephenson and Henry. The best indicator of both those players came in the last 3 to 4 minutes of the game. I loved the idea of those two going after one another head to head. They are the number 1 and 2 shooting guards/small forwards in this years class. Lance looked a little eratic at times, but once he "Slows Down", oh man, what a talent. He was rushing some things early on, but once the game got close towards the end you could really see his true potential. If KU fans don't think Lance Stephenson can fit into a team environment they are crazy. He just needs a little seasoning, but overall I was impressed.

As for Henry, all I can say is "Smooth". He also looked very good, but seemed disinterested at times. I think he likes more ball movement and sets so an all-star game is probably not his cup of tea. Either way, he looked just as impressive as Henry.

In regards on which one I would take, Stephenson or Henry, it does not matter to me one way or the other. They both are exceptional talents and I think either one would fit nicely into the rotation. I'm not really sure how good CJ is, but getting the 2 for 1 deal, pending if CJ can even help KU, would be a bonus. I'm still high on Stephenson because I love his toughness. Henry just looks polished and could fit in right away.

As for the rest of the players

I was most impressed with both OU recruits (Mayson-Griffion and Gaffon I think). I think that's both their names. One was a silky smooth point guard that had a pretty stroke that was effortless and the other was the big 300 pounder that was running the floor and working his tail off. Capel has got some big-time recruits coming in. There was a rumor Capel might take the Arizona job, but it seems like that is going to go to Floyd of USC.

I also somewhat liked the Plumlee kid headed to Duke. He is a little weak and physically out-matched at times, but I liked some of his moves.

Siva was also impressive to me. I like that kid.

Flops:

Wear Twins of UNC-Not sure how low 30 something recruits made the all-star game, but that is not the point. They looked awful and completely out-matched.

Ryan kelly of Duke-Not much to say about him except not impressed A very poor version of Baby Dirk (Kyle Singler)

Lance Hobson 11 years, 1 month ago

So KU, UK, etal are places you go as a coach, but not as a player? These two would be idiot lackies if they follow Cal to UK. At some point they need to stop making the same mistake.

hydrohawk 11 years, 1 month ago

Smitty I moved to Lawrence from Springs last year. Between this recruiting storm and the Cutler/Mcdaniels soap opera I havent got a thing done in the last two days and I my computer might melt (Im sure you know how I feel). I think its pretty obvious that our Jayhawks are about to get some good from the Henry family but I dont think the same can be said for the Broncos. It might be a rough year for the orange crush nation. When the Hawks win the NC next year it will ease our NFL pain.

jayhawker85 11 years, 1 month ago

I can't blame these one-and-done players for trying to choose the best option for them, but this is getting ridiculous. Calipari either has magical recruiting powers, or there is some behind the scenes stuff going on. I find it really weird that Henry didn't commit to KU in the first place considering how both his parents played here.

With this big recruiting mess these days, it's hard to gripe over whether KU gets Henry or Stephenson.

I just hope Sherron AND Cole stay, because I would rather have two veterans than say, as a hypothetical, John Wall and either one of the top indecisive shooting guards in this class.

From a competitiveness standpoint, it would be great if K-State got DeMarcus Cousins to add to its already top-25 class. Anderson staying at MU and Martin bringing in another top recruit will only make this conference, especially KU, that much better.

KULA 11 years, 1 month ago

PikesPeak, No thanks on Marty--I wanna win the big one someday. Bob Knight will never coach at a major program again--he can't recruit the kind of players you need to succeed in the college game today. NCAA to ESPN? YES!!! CBS coverage sucks & gives no love to Kansas.

Lin Rahardja 11 years, 1 month ago

Looks like the brothers have been burned by Memphus. I can understand CJ is pissed, they persuaded him that Memphus is the fast way to the NBA, made him sit for a year, have him persuade his little bro, only to be left in the Memphus facility by the same man who look at $$$ above his players.

I am surprised Stephenson has postponed his decision, perhaps KU can postpone the offer to him as well - isn't recruiting a two way street? If the Henry brothers would like to reserve their seats, why not? Same position, same level of talent, First Come First Served.

Good luck Jayhawks!

Carl O'Hair 11 years, 1 month ago

I have only seen one mention of Aldrich and Collins returning here. I think that either Henry or Stephenson knew what they will do their minds would be so much easier to make up. Without Aldrich I don't think either of them would see much chance of going all the way. I say that if either of them waits too long the other will take the spot and the waiter will be left out in the cold looking in. Either one would be ok but one is not going to get in.

Actually they probably would be two one and dones that could play together on the same team and get along but there just aren't that many spots open.

Joseph Kuebel 11 years, 1 month ago

Brady's Dad has already said he is going to pay Brady's tuition next year if needed. Given that we will sign Xavier and his brother we will be getting the #1 player in the country.

Next comes the comment of Calipari, and how he recruited such an amazing class to such a porous institution with a history not even close to that of KU, UNC, Duke, or UCLA. Well you wanted it, here it is.

Being from Chicago and regarding the Violations and scandals of Calipari:

Words I have personally heard on the streets of Chicago by multiple sources: regarding the recruitment of Derrick Rose is he gave both D Rose and his brother 2 300s' fully decked out to the specifications of whatever they both wanted.

Furthermore, the cheater (Calipari) also has been rumored to offer all his players a summer internship program of $40,000...40K for 1 summer of work...Don't believe it? Look at what all of Memphis' players are driving around in. 40 K for a summer internship is how these players in such a scandalous program drive around in what they do. Unless you are Derrick Rose and are given fully decked out 300S along with your brother.

Way to go Kentucky, you signed a grade A scandal. Way to bring down your program even more than it already is...

It really will be only a matter of time before this cheaters actions get surfaced. How else would anyone in their right mind go to Memphis over KU/UNC/Duke/UCLA? Give me a break, this guy is SCUM.

BTW I have heard the above allegations from more than 1 source...Calipari = Trash

KU Kick UK while they're down AND reclaim the title of winningest program of all time.

TexasHawk44 (anonymous) says...

CaliHawk33: No doubt about it that Cal is greasy. I too have a friend in Chicago who told the same story. I guess it is technically hearsay but I have heard enough people talk about Cal to believe the hearsay. Smoke usually originates with fire.

Chicago_JHawk 11 years, 1 month ago

kerbyd - I think CJ would have to sit out. It's the matter of transferring from one D1 team to another, not how his tuition was paid for (walkon or scholarship).

Aligned 11 years, 1 month ago

When Stephenson hits the college scene and faces top-level talent and screaming coaches on a daily basis, he'll be in for the rudest of awakenings. That boy needs a giant dose of humble, and he's going to get it. I see another Micah Downs in him.

Mike Crosbie 11 years, 1 month ago

drgnslayer: I don't think you can count Hancock as a "one and done" as that term applies to someone who intends to play one year and then leave. In Hancocks situation, he proved he was ready for the NBA by getting caught with pot (nothing wrong with pot) and he was booted from the team for it. If he wasn't caught, he would have come back.

4jhawks4ku 11 years, 1 month ago

Wow. Say what you want about Stephenson but Jeez that guy can flat out ball. Can you imagine any team having to defend Lance and Sheron in the backcourt? I think HCBS can tame him down a bit and he did have a couple nice assists. The guy has a will to win. Although its probably agreed to play loose on the defensive end in these games he was playin some lockdown D near the end of the game. I was impressed by Henry as well. Has a great soft shot from three and has a nice pull up jump shot off the dribble. I'd be happy with either one or hopefully both. Have to do some magical roster and scholarship rearranging but it'd be a great show. Good luck Coach!!!!!

keith horinek 11 years, 1 month ago

I don't mean to bring up old wounds here, but does anybody remember last fall during the Xavier recruiting process when some idiot from Memphis got on here and started predicting that Xavier would go to Memphis and KU would lose out and blah blah blah. That conversation downgraded to the National Championship game and how KU didn't win it but rather Memphis gave it to them? I wonder how he feels now with a program totally decimated by Coach C. leaving and all these highly touted recruits leaving as well. I've alway said, except for a few BB programs like KU Duke UNC UK etc. these recruits don't pick a school, they pick a coach. That's what happened to Memphis. These kids didn't go to Memphis for the school they went there for Coach C. I feel bad for Memphis, but I still think coach C. did the right thing. Now I'd like to see KU reap the benefits of him leaving Memphis. A 2 for 1 deal with the Henry brothers would be sweet.

jahawkdave 11 years, 1 month ago

X chose calapari over ku once, I'm sure he'll do it again. The only question is how many offers does uk have to give. 1? Sounds like cousins has uk 1 on his list I'm sure wall is interested, and X will take a visit.

I think it will shake out like this; X goes with Coach Cal again, Wall to Duke & Cousins stays home to play at Bama. Lance I think is trouble, but we offer because he is the best left. I can't see Lance fitting in Self demands defense and I don't think LS is athletic enough to guard at the D1 level. He won't get the PT he thinks he deserves he and his Dad will get pissed and start drama. Mark it down Lance is not a KU guy if he comes it won't turn out well. I hope I'm wrong and it seems Self is willing to try. There are just too many negatives out there about this guy. I'm not impressed, but I hope I'm proved wrong.

JayhawkPurist 11 years, 1 month ago

oljhkw, As much as we all like to think recruits are enamored by KU tradition and history, most of them when asked admit that they didn't choose KU for the tradition, but rather for the overall culture of the program and the ability to get to the next level. Both of those variables are directly influenced by whomever is sitting in the head coach's chair. KU, UK, Duke, UCLA, UNC, Indiana, etc. are only as attractive as their current coaching staffs make them to high school kids.

JayhawkPurist 11 years, 1 month ago

Gentlemen,

Let us trust Coach Self to judge Lance's character and his ability to fit in to KU's system. Surely Self wouldn't recruit Stephenson if he believed there was a great chance that he'd be detrimental to KU's team chemistry and/or ability to win it all next year. Coach Self is a veteran recruiter, and knows how players project.

As an urban northeasterner, watching the tapes of Stephenson on the internet, I happen to believe that he would benefit marvelously from some stable, high quality coaching, away from the one-on-one streetball bubble that is NYC. Lance has had to embody that streetball persona to garner attention and establish a reputation in NYC; now that he's acheived those goals, it seems logical that he's ready to move to the next chapter in life -- to grow and mature in a stable and supportive environment where he can display his many talents without the need to constantly be so guarded while doing so. Let us let Coach Self and his staff work their magic.

Mike Crosbie 11 years, 1 month ago

out of defference to Hancock, now that I think about my post, it may have been Tyke Peacock I was thinking of who was caught with marijuana......any help from anyone whith which player it was that was caught with pot?

jaybate 11 years, 1 month ago

Had a chance to reflect. Let's all stop speccing on motivations.

In the future, everyone should admit that this stuff is all cutthroat business and quit thinking about there being any loyalty, when money is involved.

Rather than spec on where Lance Stephenson, or Xavier Henry may choose to play, just say they will play where ever they think they get the most benefit.

These coaches and players are very competitive persons, or they would not be in the sport and the associated business. Again and again, it plays out the same way. There is no more to it than this that I can see. And everytime circumstances change, where the benefit of changing exceeds the cost of changing, they change where they coach, or where they are going to play.

It used to be interesting to me to speculate about where they would go, because I thought there was some real emotion to their decisions; that they were choosing among better and worse alternatives. But the coaches and players prove again and again that they will go anywhere, and play for anyone, they think will give them the biggest net benefit.

Speccing on what schools coaches and players will jump to is like speccing on which money source the investment bankers are going to prey on next, or which impala in the herd the cheetah is going to try to pick off. It is going to pick off whatever suits it best.

There's nothing emotional about this.

The only guys I now respect in all of this recruiting stuff are the ones like Aldrich and Woolridge. They pick a good school early and they avoid shopping around like johns in a whore house.

jaybate 11 years, 1 month ago

Had a chance to reflect. Let's all stop speccing on motivations and about who will go where.

There's nothing emotional about this.

Dan Pawlowski 11 years, 1 month ago

I don't give a rats @## where they go anymore. They both sound like one and done's now and I for one don't want them. It is not worth the hassle and its disruptive to team chemistry. I like the team and the recruits we have coming in. Henry never sounded like a Kansas type of guy and Stephenson is sounding less like one. Especially with his father saying he is "glad he has other options besides college". That does not sound like a father who cares if his son graduates college.

jchawkfan 11 years, 1 month ago

Everyone keeps saying these kids want to play for Cal because of his system and that he will prepare them for the NBA blah blah blah. Ok I am thinking of the players in the last 8 years that HCBS has recruited and put in the NBA greatly out numbers the players that Cal has put in the NBA. Plus HCBS has always talked about, its not always about the first contract you sign but about the second and third that means alot.

On a side note with all this recruiting stuff going on does anyone know how our current players are holding up? Any stories on them?

girl4Ostate 11 years, 1 month ago

This is tough for me, personally. I would LOVE to see X play at KU - Keep him in the BigXII (even though it will be rough on my Pokes). I have watched this child play for 4 years, now, and he will only continue to get better. I firmly believe that HCBS can elevate Xavier's game to new levels. Once Xavier actually faces opposition that challenges his game, he will only improve because that's the mentality he has: Elevate above the competition. He is a hard worker, self-motivated, level-headed, respectful kid with athletic ability beyond any I've seen (personally) at high school level.

jayhawker85 - His parents do have ties to KU; that's why he considered the program initially...not to mention the rich tradition that's building in Lawrence. Hopefully that will draw him back, again.

Good Recruiting!

canuckhawk 11 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate, you may not want to start a post by admonishing everyone to stop speculating on the motivates of college recruits (which I agree with) and then proceed to describe their motives as incredibly self-centered, akin to johns at a whorehouse.

I suspect that these kids have dozens of coachs contacting them regularly (directly or indirectly as rules may or may not permit), making all kinds of promises, appearing to care for the kid maybe not seeming entirely truthful in their own motives. Parents and kids could get pretty cynical about the whole thing. If a recruit was to read many of these posts they would also get cynical about the true adoration of the fans. Posts are often so high on a player until he makes a step in another direction. Then the knives come out and the recruit can see that the praise was ingratiating but of questionable sincerity.

I don't envy the decision that these kids need to make. The more skilled the player, the more likely they are going to have lots of people claiming to be offering them a boost when they are really trying to take a ride. If some, or many, of them start to look at the process purely from their own self-interest, I don't think we should be surprised or fault the kid. They may be the ownly interest that they can fully trust, and what do they owe the fans or coaches of team x or y that is so great that they should't look out for themselves first?

jahawkdave 11 years, 1 month ago

Jaybater

Are you seriously telling everyone to stop speccing?

Its a freakin message board where we are all under anonymous names specc'ing, praising and crticizing, spreading rumors, talking BS... reflecting?? and posting long a$$ boring comments (sometimes twice) like all of yours.

Jaybater's brilliant comments:

"Coaches move for better jobs, or use the offers for leverage in their present jobs. They make there decisions to go, or stay, based on their own self interest." No Sh!t

"Recruits play all the colleges off against the other. Any time a recruit thinks it might help him to dink around a school, or coach, the recruit does so." Tell us something we don't know

"These coaches and players are very competitive persons" No one states the obvious better than Jaybater

Jaybater please write your comments preview them then delete, you are the only one that wants to read your opinions.

Just playin' like I said it's a message board, keep posting your paragraph upon paragraph of nonsense, can't wait to read your next one! Twice

Theutus 11 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate, you speculate ALL the time on what KU has to do to win games... Actually, you state it as more of a "matter of fact". Not that thats a bad thing, i'm just sayin...

Seems somewhat hypocritical if you ask me.... Oh well, we're all hoping for the best, 1st rounds on me if we get Xavier though. :Þ

kupark 11 years, 1 month ago

Well guys, Jaybate should have been checked a long time ago for his posts. We have created a monster by first endlessly praising and then ignoring his posts.

Jaybate, please follow your own advice on this post as well as future ones. Your head is getting bigger by the day. Keep it short and sweet. Like most people here I start reading your comments and then have to quit when I see how endlessly long they're and due to the "rant" nature of your comments. Create your own blog and just link to it whenever you feel the urge to write one of your long rants.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 1 month ago

A lot of good posts today.

Jayhawkpurist: You put it nicely in reference to tradition of a program vs the Coach. Each one of those components by itself will make your program average, but when you put the two together, you get a program like KU, Duke, and UNC. When you don't have a coach, or rather the boosters don't support their coach, you get programs like IU (Before Tom Crean Arrived) and UK. Great Post JayhawkP!

As for the emotional involvement with recruiting. It's a two way street people. More times than not, it's the players who get the shaft when a coach takes another position or leaves abruptly. Coaches over the years have picked up, moved, and traveled to new destinations without any penalities towards them what so ever and the players have to pay the price. The players either have to red-shirt or sit out a year if they want to go to another school or most players will get weeded out by their new coach because they "Aren't His Recruits". If you don't think it happens then you don't have to go very far because it happened right here at Kansas. As stated above, a player, at least at the upper level programs of NCAA Division I basketball, are picking a school solely based on the coach. Having tradition (KU, UK, UNC, DUKE, UCLA) only enhances that overall experience, but most are trying to find a way that helps them the most individually. Nothing wrong with that, but in the modern day of recruiting that is what it has come down to.

I think how Calipari is leaving Memphis is downright wrong, but I understand why he is going to UK. I actually like the fact that every single one of his recruits (Yes, every single one of them signed the clause) had the clause that stated, "If Coach Calipari leaves for another school, the player can opt out of his LOI". For Once, the players have an "Out" for when these "Greedy" coaches change jobs. Why punish a player who committed to a school and a coach who represents that university when the coach leaves? It's not the players fault that the Coach took another job. Why make the kid sit out a year or have to red-shirt a year because the Coach took advantage of that student-athlete? Think about what Tim Floyd did to USC. He had a meeting Tuesday night with all of his players convincing them all to stay and as of late last night he's the official coach of the Arizona Wildcats. LMAO!

Continued in next post!

Chris Shaw 11 years, 1 month ago

Continued......

On the flip side, I could see this rule, which I have deemed the "Memphis Rule, get completely out of hand. If a kid commits to a school and the coach in-turn leaves, that kid should have the opportunity to re-open his recruitment. I don't necessarily think all of those recruits should be able to follow that coach to the next school, like Calipari is trying to do, but they should at least have options. Now, Calipari is goinng to be a snake in this whole situation because he wants all those recruits. Most people forget that a sports athletic scholarship covers academics and academics only for 4 years. The sports side of these scholarships are one year renewable scholarships at the discretion of the athletic department, school, and coach. Now Calipari, which only has 1 UK scholarship available,could sit down with some current UK players and weed them out to make room for all of those recruits. I don't like that idea and don't condone that practice, but then again we're talking about a mult-billion dollar sport where money talks.

Some people will not side with me because I will always side with the student-athlete because they are the ones that are being the most exploited and also the ones with the most risk and penalities in a bad situation. Coaches get to skate from one job to the next without punishment or regard to the former school or his or her players. I know Memphis got $200,000 in bail out money from Calipari's contract, but that wasn't anywhere near enough. I do feel bad for Memphis in this whole situation because they are going to be wiped clean of everything and basically start over. It's pretty sad! Even though Bill Self didn't keep a majority of Roy Williams recruits, but could you imagine if he took that entire recruiting class with him to UNC?

Chris Shaw 11 years, 1 month ago

You know, we could use Jaybate as an example. LOL! I like Jaybate and his posts, but at the beginning of the year everybody loved Jaybate and was constantly getting praise from "Most" posters. It seems like as the season has progressed, the UK boosters have gotten involved, and are calling for the head of Jaybate. Just like UK, I thought the boosters, fans, and university were just down-right spoiled. I did not agree with the firing of Billy G, but not not much you can do when an organized group of people get together for a common goal. Keep doing what you do, Jaybate. The good think is you can't get fired so all you'll have to do is keep bringing up interesting and controversial posts for everyone else to ponder. LOL!

keith horinek 11 years, 1 month ago

I need a frickin aspirin after all that, KUSHAW. Good stuff though, I have to admit and I like Jabate and the stuff he talks about, keep it up. We need more people on here that appear to be somewhat educated in the subjucts at hand and a lot less complaining and whining. We have it pretty good as KU BB fans. We all thought the sky was falling when Roy left and in one third of the time Roy was here HCBS had a National Championship! HCBS is the winningest active DI coach in the country and the most storied program in the country as well. These recruits come and go all the time, some make good decisions and some don't. I feel the most improtant thing in a big time program like KU is integrity. Maintain the integrity of the school and the BB program and everything else falls into place. We've had that integrity for at least 21 years between Roy and HCBS.

Tony Bandle 11 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate

Architects in general are born "Contrarians' so in following my mystical pathway, I say make your posts longer, go even deeper into detail, expand the insights exponentially. Reading the reactions to your posts are as entertaining as the posts themselves.

And, if you posters find Jaybate's posts long-winded, annoying, aggravating , etc,.... now listen carefully......DON'T READ THEM!!!!

The First Amendment is an absolute....anything less is a slippery slope that none of us want to ever tread.

Jaybate, if want to wax poetic on Okie ball, go for it. If you think Lance will make a good point guard, ler 'er rip. The beauty of this site is that you can argue about the merits of a five star recruit and immediately switch to quantum physics or ask the age-old question, why didn't eecummings ever use caps?

Let's see that on Mizzou's blog!!!!!

JayhawkPurist 11 years, 1 month ago

BoulderHawk,

Don't care about where recruits go? Don't want anything to do with one-and-dones? Then I guess, as many have noted over the years, Coach Self should've stayed away from Brandon Rush and Darrell Arthur. Both came in as potential one-and-dones, and KU doesn't win last year without both.

As for Stephenson's father, of course he doesn't care if his son graduates college -- at least not in the next 4 years. Why should he? Lance should be able to pursue whatever vocation he chooses whether it requires higher education or not. No doubt higher education benefits all who partake from a personal standpoint, but the window in which Stehpenson can earn enough money (doing something he apparently loves, no less) to support himself and his family for generations (if managed wisely) is too much to pass up just so that he can take the conventional route of attending college from age 18-22. As long as Lance's father truly has his son's best interests as his first priority, who are we to judge?

eastTXjayhawk 11 years, 1 month ago

hey, what's up everyone, i just got back from the chicken ranch, been out of contact...what's all the fuss about?

"john"

JayBoi2011 11 years, 1 month ago

CJ wont have to sit out cause he isn't a scholarship player. so he can do what he wants.

vmwskywalk 11 years, 1 month ago

eastTXjayhawk....

Well...let's see...first the Earth cooled...and then the dinosaurs came...but they got too big and fat...so they all died and they turned into oil...and then the Arabs came...and they bought Mercedes Benz's...and Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes...I couldn't believe it...he took her best summer dress out of the closet and put it on and went to town.....

Jason Roberts 11 years, 1 month ago

Henry planning visit to Kentucky - http://www.cjonline.com/sports/2009-04-02/henry_planning_visit_to_kentucky

Both Stephenson and Henry are close enough in talent that choosing either one is a win-win situation. I understand that choosing Stephenson would involve giving up on the opportunity to have two players (Xavier and C.J.) instead of one, but let's be honest about the situation: C.J. may have to sit an additional year. In addition, by reading the article, Xavier is not in a hurry to decide to make a final decision. If KU remains mum too long it might frustrate Lance to the point that he'd rather play at a school that isn't waiting on a decision from another player.

Let's look at it from a poker player's perspective. You're at the final table (along with Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, and UCLA). Your chip stack (current team + incoming recruits) puts you at the top of the money board. If there's a remote possibility that you can win a big hand (Stephenson) now as opposed to losing a slightly bigger hand (Henry) later, I would recommend offering the scholarship to Stephenson right now. The sooner it's done, the sooner HCBS can focus on preparing for the '09-'10 season.

ddeck87 11 years, 1 month ago

I would prefer the Henry brothers because I think Xavier would bring more of a scoring threat from the wing, and CJ is no slouch either. After watching Lance last night he looks like he's a pass first guy which is nice, but we need scoring from that position. Also, CJ was a highly rated recruit his junior season until he stopped playing in the AAU circuits and focused mainly on baseball. I'm not saying the kid is going to be a star but I know he would be a better practice player than previous walk-ons and could possibly see significant playing time. Either way I just want to land one of these guys because we need help at the 3.

jahawkdave 11 years, 1 month ago

Was there a reason Wall wasn't a McDonald's All American?

If these McDonalds players live up to their rankings North Carolina is going to be stacked for a few years , They'll have 7 McDonalds All Americans on their roster next year. 3 from 2008 and 4 from 2009. Roy can still sign em, but can he win the big one with his own players?

JayhawkPurist 11 years, 1 month ago

Wall wasn't a McDonald's All-American because he's a fifth-year senior and fifth-year seniors aren't eligible under McDonald's rules. There's talk that McDonald's may amend that rule, however, as the void is leaving room for events like the Nike Jordan Classic to step into the vaccuum.

eastTXjayhawk 11 years, 1 month ago

wow, you miss a lot spending a couple hundred bucks...i do have this weird tingle now, not sure where that came from? tingle code word for "burn"

Tony Bandle 11 years, 1 month ago

"Xavier Henry to visit Kentucky and Kansas......."

Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me. We've all been through this dance before. If he wanted to be at Kansas, he would be at Kansas.

I say, Bill, call up the Stephensons and say that the scholarship is theirs if they want it. Let them have the right of first refusal. Bring in Lance, let him grow as a Jayhawk and close the door on the Henrys.

Lance was good enough before...that should be good enough now.

Jason Roberts 11 years, 1 month ago

OakvilleJHawk - glad to see someone agrees with my opinion that KU should just offer the scholarship to Lance Finance. The late signing period is April 15th - 20th, which is plenty of time for Xavier Henry to go and visit Kentucky's campus, decide that he would rather go to (K)rimson and bl(U) only to have the scholarship slot already filled because he decided to play the waiting game....again.

My guess is the decision (by one or both players) will be made no sooner than April 7th, the day after the national title game.

RCJH!!! GO KU!!!!

Tony Bandle 11 years, 1 month ago

Final thought....if X thought Calipari was a better fit than Self by going to Memphis, he sure as heck is not going to change his mind after seeing Calipari at Kentucky.

All you posters dreaming of the Henrys in Crimson and Blue..wake up!!! It isn't going to happen!!!

PAHAWK1 11 years, 1 month ago

Oakville,Shock - it is possible that HCBS has asked Lance to wait till the scholarship scenario at KU is clear. After the sweet sixteen game, HCBS was supposed to help Cole and SC evaluate their NBA stocks. That process will take some time.

I do not think that HCBS will contact the Henrys. He had recruited Xavier in the past. It is up to them to contact HCBS.

It is nice to speculate regarding these recruits on this board but we need to admit that KU will have a great team next year irrespective of these recruits and above all the best coach in the nation.

Jason Roberts 11 years, 1 month ago

Not sure who the "source" is, but I've followed his articles for a few months and have come to realized that he's jumped the gun one too many times.

Once Collins and Aldrich make their decisions the dust will settle.

Dillon Davis 11 years, 1 month ago

It's a dead period right now so Self can't even really communicate to the Henrys that much.

Got this from theshiver.com

Definition: A "Dead Period," as the name implies, is a time when nearly all recruiting activity is temporarily shut down. During a dead period, coaches cannot:

1.Make in-person recruiting contacts 2.Conduct in-person evaluations -- on or off-campus 3.Schedule official campus visits 4.Allow unofficial campus visits 5.Offer complimentary tickets to games 6.The only permissible communications during a dead period are phone calls (limited by NCAA regulations to one call per week) and correspondence.

And rivals says there is a change of plans for the meeting tonight. CJ can't make it to OU is what i've heard so they might just have the discussion over the phone or postpone their family meeting. But im still not confident that a decision will come in the next two days. I hope it does but im not sure it will.

Lance Hobson 11 years, 1 month ago

This is getting out of control. I can't believe he's really thinking of following Cal to UK. We don't want somebody this dumb.

Fred Davis 11 years, 1 month ago

the only thing I'll comment on for now is that the LJWorld's coverage of this recruiting saga has been weak.... The Topeka paper has out-hustled LJW, and fan blogs have given better info than I've found from LJW writers...

jaybate 11 years, 1 month ago

canuckhawk,

I'm saying its all an object oriented programming routine. Plug in the same chunk of programming lines tied to the same icon and click it every time one of these situations comes up. Same routine over and over and over again. I wasn't speccing on motivations. I was saying those ARE the ONLY discernible motivations connecting them to the icon of the the little orange basketball!

After I've seen this stuff play out a 1000 times, where is the wonder and excitement of it? It is just freaking boring. No one has enough insider info to say what XMan wants and who is going to bend over and give it to him. Going on about this stuff is like listening to women talk about shoes. They choose what they choose. Who can predict? Who even wants to predict? We have a Final Four people! Restore reality.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 1 month ago

Wow! Tim Floyd changed his mind last minute and is going to stay at USC. I didn't understand from the beginning what the fascination with Floyd was for the Zona Athletic Department to go after him. I think it's good that Floyd stayed at USC, but I think it's an even better scenario for Zona that he didn't accept the job. Zona can get a better coach and most importantly a "Better Person" than Tim Floyd.

jaybate 11 years, 1 month ago

Theutus,

I like speculation and I like reading speculation, when it relates to something that has some opportunity for valid reasoning about potential outcomes. But there just isn't much to be said about XMan and his choice. There just doesn't seem to be any new information to reason with. The XHenry signing DVD ejected from the Wii, when Cal hit the eject button in Memphis. Gotta stick it back in, so it plays again. No one knew why X chose Cal over Bill the first time. No one is really going to know why he chooses Cal, or Bill, this time either. Give me a new Wii game to play.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 1 month ago

More Breaking News!!!!!! If you read my post from above, I mentioned the 1 year renewable scholarships on the athletic side of that scholarship. Did anyone just see what happened at UK? 3 players either have decided to give up their scholarships or have decided to go elsewhere to pursue other opportunities. Pretty Crazy stuff and how could not think Calipari was not going to go this route. Unbelievable! These coaches get away with murder without any regard to whom they are affecting. He said, "It's all about the kids and players", but what he's forgetting to mention that this is a cut-throat business and he will doing anything, at the expense of everyone around him, in order to succeed. I lost all respect for Calipari. My how things change over a couple of days.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 1 month ago

Oh, I'm sorry! Three recruits have withdrawn their committments to UK, which now makes 3 or 4 open scholarships. Unbeliveable! This is crazy stuff!

jaybate 11 years, 1 month ago

kushaw,

I enormously respect your takes and you did break some news that was very interesting about 1 year renewables. Thanks.

jaybate 11 years, 1 month ago

kushaw,

How about Larry Eustachy for Zona? :-)

Justin LoBurgio 11 years, 1 month ago

jaybate,

Thanks for that....just about fell out of my chair. If Larry does not work out maybe they can go after Jim Harrick.

jaybate 11 years, 1 month ago

jayhawkknave, er, jahawkdaver,

Who put the Ben Gay in your enema bag today?

JayhawkCasey 11 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate, I think that Larry Eustachy has to much baggage (scandals) for a school like Arizona to take him.

jaybate 11 years, 1 month ago

hail2olku,

Ah, yes, Jim Harrick. My favorite nickname for him was Jim Warlock. Forget who gave that one to him.

jaybate 11 years, 1 month ago

JayhawkCasey,

I would say he has a complete set of Samsonite. :-)

Chris Shaw 11 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate: I don't know who I would hire for the Zona job. I don't like Eustachy at all, but I do believe in second chances. I don't think he'll ever get a big-time job again, but I've been wrong before. I like Bruce Pearl for the Zona job. BP has some "Slick Rick" qualities in him, but at least he is a nice guy underneath everything. I think Keno Davis would be an excellent coach at Zona. He's young and he did wonders at Providence, but Providence will not be a consistent winner in the Big East no matter who you bring in.

jchawkfan 11 years, 1 month ago

I really do want to stop reading about all of this but I just can't. Now I know how all the Twilight readers felt when that was sweeping the US a couple months back.

eastTXjayhawk 11 years, 1 month ago

i heard Vince the shamwow guy had a little problem with a hooker in a california hotel...apparently one slapchop didn't love his nuts!

Lance Hobson 11 years, 1 month ago

I heard Arizona was looking at Jeff Capel for the job. It might be old news and he already said no, I don't know.

eastTXjayhawk 11 years, 1 month ago

holy crap....there's a refresh button??

can you imagine the disappointment when someone sees there's been another post or two on the link, only to find out it's an update on Vince the shamwow guy, or "holy crap, there's a refresh button?" ;-)

Jeffery Barrett 11 years, 1 month ago

Bruce Pearl has signed an extension with UT.

Andrew Moore 11 years, 1 month ago

<p>kansas.rivals.com has an updated story, but I don't have a membership. If anybody does, they should read it and tell us what is going on.

Dillon Davis 11 years, 1 month ago

I do, and it turns out they didn't meet. Xavier got stuck in the airport in florida due to weather or something so they'll probably meet up this weekend and talk as a family. But neither of them are coming out and saying well now that Memphis is out so we're definitely probably going to Kansas. They are (Henry bros) are being real secretive with their interviews as to not giving any leads. C.J. said they'll probably have something for us Sunday or Monday. But the longer this crap goes on the more I believe we will end up without a premier shooting guard.

Justin LoBurgio 11 years, 1 month ago

I don't have an account with rivals.com, however, they still list X as undecided.

jayhawk815 11 years, 1 month ago

I agree with dynomitehawk. After reading all this crap that has transpired the last several days involving Calipari, I have gained even more respect for both HCBS and Roy. They showed much respect for the programs they left. It is obvious that was important to them. Kentucky made a very poor move, IMO. Hopefully, we land either Lance or Xavier, but even if we don't we'll be just fine. RCJH

Dan Pawlowski 11 years, 1 month ago

JayhawkPurist, Rush and Arthur were never true one and dones, they never had the talent of a true one and dones. I never thought for one minute they were and time proved me out. I stick by my opinion on Stephenson and Henry. I like winning but I like good student athletes. Call me a purist.....

Dan Pawlowski 11 years, 1 month ago

vmwskyhawk, Thanks for the laughs, I always loved that line . Airplane is one of my favorites..

Dan Pawlowski 11 years, 1 month ago

Not sure why the hate on Floyd. He was not a good NBA coach but I don't think any coach making the NCAA to NBA jump have fared well. The last time Iowa State was consistently good was with Floyd. As for Arizona, I can totally understand why a coach would not go there. The coaching situation there has been totally F'd up for the last 3 years and the assistant "interim' coaches are still at the mercy of the opinion of the Mighty Lute. Arizona God of Basketball. "Tradition" fades fast as turmoil continues. Kentucky is headed in the same direction.

AaronxScythe 11 years, 1 month ago

By Cal going to Kentucky, he probably threw away a couple of national championships. His team was stacked and if they stayed there for 3+ years, i guarantee that would be a winning season.

Self is such an amazing coach, I would really like to see X and CJ come to KU. For one, the whole family is from KU so he would be accepted already and it shows that he will want to represent Kansas for more than one year because of his family's history.

As far as Lance, if X goes to Kansas Lance will go to Maryland for his shoe deal. He's a good player but I think he thinks he wont shine if all these equal/better recruits from his year are there. I dont see anything wrong with Collins at PG X at G and Lance at SF, i mean the 2 and 3 are virtually the same.