Thursday, September 25, 2008

Chalmers, Beasley express regret at workout

— Three weeks after angering NBA officials with their behavior at a league symposium, Miami Heat rookies Mario Chalmers and Michael Beasley reiterated their regret over starting their careers on such a sour note.

"My immaturity played a factor," Beasley, the No. 2 overall selection out of Kansas State, said Wednesday during an informal interview session before an evening workout at AmericanAirlines Arena.

"It was just a mistake," said Chalmers, the national-championship point guard from Kansas University who was drafted in the second round, "being at the wrong place at the wrong time, something we look back and we regret to the fullest."

Beasley was fined $50,000 and Chalmers $20,000 by the NBA for violations at the league's Rookie Transition Program in Rye Brook, N.Y.

The league cited the presence of improper guests in a hotel room where Beasley, Chalmers and former KU player Darrell Arthur of the Memphis Grizzlies were present.

The scent of marijuana was also present, although that was not cited by the league in the issuance of the fines, with privacy issues involved in the NBA's substance-abuse policy.

Arthur also was fined $20,000, with Beasley given a steeper fine for initially refusing to cooperate with the league investigation.

Beasley acknowledged he was hiding in the room when hotel security initially arrived.

"I'm 19, so I kind of tried to be a kid and get away with it," Beasley said. "It was kind of eating away at me, just to watch my teammate go through so much, and be basically hiding behind the lights. I just felt it was the right thing for my team, and just to stand by my teammate."

Beasley was allowed to remain at the four-day seminar, unlike Chalmers and Arthur, who were immediately expelled and required to attend next year's program, something Beasley will not have to do. The incident took place on the eve of the four-day session.

The league said there would be no suspensions attached to the fines.

"It's a situation that's over and done with. We put it behind us," Chalmers said. "I think it's helped me a lot, just being in that situation, learning from it, learning not to even be in a predicament like that, not to be in a situation like that. Other than that, I've been through a lot of stuff before and I've just got to get over it, get over the hump."

Comments

jaybate 11 years, 5 months ago

Clearly, the NBA wanted to show some authority.Just as clearly, the NBA wanted to avoid the can of worms related to reputedly widespread consumption of THC in the league, so they spun the story toward women in the room, fined the players, gave Beasley (their No.1) some preferential treatment, and "moved on." Sorry, Mario Chalmers, this is not behind you. You and Arthur will be doing the rookie meeting again next season. And each of your names are going to come up in every story about marijuana abuse in the league for the next few years.Get used to it.

Nutflush21 11 years, 5 months ago

Mario's quote cracks me up "being at the wrong place at the wrong time" He acts like he mistakenly walked into a hotel room with women and weed.

Hawklin 11 years, 5 months ago

Its the offseason. You really think this is going to be the feature story for sports writers to come for the actual season let alone for the "next few years". Please.

Drew Bender 11 years, 5 months ago

according to zagsblog.net "We hear Memphis coach John Calipari is trying to get his school's Late Night moved back a week to Oct. 24 and then have MTV broadcast it with Jay-Z, Beyonce and Justin Timberlake performing. Xavier Henry is expected to attend, and possibly John Wall and others."wow... does it really come down to this to get players attention???

Hawklin 11 years, 5 months ago

"And each of your names are going to come up in every story about marijuana abuse in the league for the next few years.Get used to it."Hilarious. Every story for years.

tyd930 11 years, 5 months ago

"Why are you still writing or putting forward articles about this? It's over, done, behind everyone. Move on. Must be a VERY SLOW news day for the LJW."Hey njjayhawk, take a look at who wrote the article and where it came from.

Drew Bender 11 years, 5 months ago

it also looks like X. Henry is ready to commit to memphis as soon as this weekend... Carl Henry's statement can be heard at theshiver.com

Jonathan Allison 11 years, 5 months ago

How much conversation this gets depends on how successful these guys are in the NBA. Sure, maybe we won't hear about it ever again if Chalmers and Arthur don't pan out. But you definitely will hear about it all season long as long as these two are playing. Just like we still hear about how Josh Howard enjoys marijuana use during the offseason.The Dude is right, and there will be even more talk about this event when the season starts because no one cares about the NBA during the offseason. Oh, and sorry hawklin but I didn't see anyone say it would be a featured story, just that it will be mentioned

KGphoto 11 years, 5 months ago

This story will be a side note after the Heat begin their run. Besides, it was a stupid story to begin with. "The Scent of Marijuana". Hilarious. These guys are being publicly embarrassed because some dork thought he smelled marijuana. Who calls the police when they smell marijuana?If I started throwing around $20k fines every time I smelled marijuana walking through Capitol Hill in Denver, I'd own this town. Thats Capitol Hill. There are cops everywhere. Guess what, the cops are worried about crimes. Yes crimes. Real ones. If they went diving into hotel rooms every time they smelled pot, this place would look like Gotham in the grips of The Joker. Our boys were patsies and David Stern is a tool.

NotWiller 11 years, 5 months ago

Then again, 6'10", 280ish is about the size of a sturdy rollaway bed. Maybe he just laid down and they threw blankets on him? Did anyone get a good look at the couch the girls were sitting on....to see if it had tattoos?Or maybe he pulled a ninja move and stuck to the ceiling, dangling just above the cops' heads, worried that a single bead of sweat would fall onto David Stern's scowling head and give him away? Call it, "Crouching Tiger Hidden Power Forward."

jaybate 11 years, 5 months ago

Lebowski,Thanks for the hard screen. Now I will try to scrape Hawklin off as I go by.Apparently, Hawklin can only intermittently internalize fragments of sentences before locking down repeatedly in a terrifying inner world. This self-reinforcing auto-reality maybe called Hawklinworld. Hawklinworld can be anything he can imagine. He may view the Jayhawk as a prehistoric bird that endlessly recites Revelation. He may view The Big Lebowski as a documentary about White Russians. He may view Potters Lake as an inland ocean full of serpents and sea monsters. He may view basketball as a game in which rebounding does not matter. When confronted by logical trains of thought, Hawklinworld turns ugly. Witches appear in the grass. Dogs spontaneously combust. Houses take wing. Bob Knight teaches anger management. Hawklin erupts in fight or flight. Hawklin needs a gift certificate for Club Menninger.Hoooo-haaaah!

rockchalkjayhawk4ku11 11 years, 5 months ago

"I'm 19, so I kind of tried to be a kid and get away with it," Beasley said....Your basketball skill says your ready for the NBA, but your maturity level is saying something else...

11 years, 5 months ago

'I guess that's the way the whole durned human comedy keeps perpetuatin' itself.'NotWiller ~ That does evoke a comical image. Kind of like the recent bed check commercial for the ESPN Game Day crew. Too funny.

KGphoto 11 years, 5 months ago

OMG. If Henry ends up on MTV, being recruited by Jay-Z, Beyonce and Timberlake, I'll lose my sh!t.Here's how I hope it would go if MTV offered Kansas the same.Scene 1:Lew wants to capitalize on a die-hard fan base by allowing MTV to rent Allen Fieldhouse during KU's sacred midnight madness, But he is turned away emphatically, by The Phog himself. And the most loyal throng of enlightened Kansans maintain their dignity, and their home.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwE_eh12TYw&feature=relatedTyler really puts the crimson, in Crimson and Blue, eh?

11 years, 5 months ago

'The Dude abides. I don't know about you but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' 'er easy for all us sinners. Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals.';o)

100 11 years, 5 months ago

Anybody else get the feeling that Calipari is being investigated bigtime by the NCAA right now? Or at least, will be? Landing recruits with the assistance of .... Justin Timberlake??? J-sus!.... What's he gonna do take them to the Blue Oyster Bar afterwards? He may as well call the NCAA and say,"hey, I'm promising Xavier and John a few thousand a year to play for me and I know they LOVE 'JT' so I booked him, and also I've already given them a couple free steak dinners that I havent documented" -- lets be clear about this, you bring JT into the mix, the NCAA is forced to go after him now, on sheer principle if nothing else. And Xavier and John will get dragged through the mud with him. Justin Timberlake??? Does he think John and Xavier are going to vacation with him in Neverland next summer instead of declaring for the draft? If they sign with Memphis, I'll give the NCAA about 3 weeks before Memphis gets hit by the biggest probabation in the history of the program.Surely Xavier and John will be embarrassed by Calipari's presumption, once they figure him out. "oh, now we know why he's so nice" they surely will be whispering while hiding from him in the locker room stalls. All in all, it sounds like Calipari had them leaning towards Memphis -- but he pulled the JT card -- it might have cost him.Luckilly Self surely has at least one text remaining for Xavier and John, realizing there was small a chance martini-man Calipari would shoot himself in the foot by bringing in Justin Timberlake to welcome his lifelong dream of Xavier and John.

Joe Ross 11 years, 5 months ago

Both Wall and the Henry Bros. to Memphis?

NotWiller 11 years, 5 months ago

Sorry, but am I the only one that's splitting a gut at the thought of Beasley hiding in a hotel room? Where does a dude that size hide??!! Behind the shower curtain? Under the covers next to the hot chick? Best thing for someone 6'10" to do in a situation like that is stand in the corner, put a lampshade on his head, and hope nobody notices that the lamp wears size 14 sneakers.

bmkjayhawk 11 years, 5 months ago

Can this really be happening, BOTH Henry and Wall to Memphis?

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 4 months ago

Mario's comment being in the "wrong place at the wrong time" is pure ridiculous.What? You didn't want to be at the rookie camp?This reflects poorly on him.

kvskubball 11 years, 5 months ago

Jaybate,Hope you got that bubble gum off your sneakers. It just tries to go everywhere...Keep the laugh track coming! LOL

jaybate 11 years, 5 months ago

Say it ain't so, jross, say it ain't so!

eastTXjayhawk 11 years, 5 months ago

it's my understanding, and this is based not on any actual fact, but instead soley on the two beers i've enjoyed while reading this article and the posts....that Beasley in fact wore a cloaking device that rendered him completely invisible to the human eye, but, unfortunately, not the human nose, hence the strong aroma of mary jane floating through the room.