Monday, September 15, 2008

Receivers peeved Mangino

KU coach: Wideouts not blocking well

Mark Mangino

Mark Mangino

Reesing shines despite loss to USF

More than 48 hours have passed since the Kansas football team went down to the wire with South Florida. And regardless of KU's 37-34 defeat, Friday night's performance from quarterback Todd Reesing will be a topic at the water-coolers for many weeks to come.

As of Sunday night, Kansas University coach Mark Mangino had watched enough film of his team's 37-34 loss to South Florida to know this: The Jayhawks' receivers, despite their statistical achievements, have a long way to go.

Asked whether he thought the Jayhawks' receiving corps was as deep and talented as any he's had at Kansas, Mangino replied, "I thought they were up until (Friday) night. I think we have a mentality with some of our receivers where they want to catch passes. But as far as the other things that come with the game - running precise routes and blocking - I thought we were very sub-standard."

The coach's biggest gripe seemed to be with the lack of blocking, which he said contributed to the team's stagnant running game. Kansas totaled only 61 rushing yards against South Florida - 13 of which came from quarterback Todd Reesing -and averaged just 2.9 yards per carry in the third straight game they've failed to rush for 130 yards or more.

Part of Friday night's woes likely could be attributed to the absence of senior receiver Dexton Fields, an astute blocker who has missed the team's past two games due to injury.

But such factors did not seem to ease Mangino's concerns.

"I think the receivers, watching tape, had some opportunities to get some blocks for our run game and did not do it, did not sustain their blocks," he said. "And that's disappointing when you can get running backs through the next level and not get help from the receivers."

Following Friday's loss, the coach also issued a warning of sorts to his receiving corps.

"I made it very clear to those guys: If you don't block, you can't play," Mangino said. "We have to put somebody in there that will, and we'll get the ball to them and have them make the catches. Because you cannot be one-dimensional and be successful at the wide-receiver position."

Mangino also addressed the Jayhawks' struggles along the defensive line.

"Nobody jumped out at me on the tape," he said. "Nobody was overly impressive."

The lack of pressure applied by the defensive line played a large part in the Jayhawks' forfeiture of a 17-point first-half lead.

"We were very poor on line stunts and twists, which normally we're pretty sharp at," Mangino said. "I didn't like the way we executed those. We've just got to do a lot of drill work and get it fixed and get it fundamentally sound."

Comments

Rock_Chalk_NYC 6 years, 2 months ago

Did anyone else think that in the second half we quit running our offense in the same manner as we have executed it in the past year or so? Now, granted I watched the game in a bar without sound so I didn't get the full take, but it just didn't seem like the same team. (This may have been a blessing since I've talked to a few friends and family members who shared with me that the ESPN announcers were ill-equipped to cover a baked potato).That said, we have a lot of season left! Beat the Texas schools, K-State and please god, Mizzou and I'm one happy camper. Rock Chalk

741hawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Someone get the word to Coach to quit penalizing Angus for running with his pads "Up." When Eric Dickerson's coaches finally let him run naturally, he set NCAA records at SMU and in the NFL! Run, Angus, run!

Dirk Medema 6 years, 2 months ago

We looked pretty good at times against a good team, but you've got to really like the fact that Coach Mangino will breakdown the game and make certain that the players & everyone does it right.The schedule is also rather convenient. After an early test to expose the warts, we get 3 games of steadily progressing competition (including the bye prior to the BigXII) before we hit the meat of the schedule: SHS, bye, @ ISU, CU before @ OU, TTech, KState, @ NU, UT, bye, MU

jayhawkinATL 6 years, 2 months ago

I trust that Mangino will fix the problem(s).

wxhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

It's all about the blocking. Daymond Patterson didn't block at all on all the plays I saw. That has to change!

Kyle Crenshaw 6 years, 2 months ago

timstruc if you were a usf fan you would have noticed that two years ago when they played each other. or... your a bandwagon fan who hopped on after they finally started winning last year. good eye though you. you should go tell your eye doctor you can spot a fat guy from the stands, he might want to study your amazing eyesight.with that aside... is there any news on kendrick. if he woulda been healthy i believe our secondary wouldnt have gotten torn up as much. i noticed they never threw at harris but whoever was in for harper

sdoyel 6 years, 2 months ago

Who cares what he says, he's just making his own fanbase look bad.

KU 6 years, 2 months ago

On the issue of receivers.....Had Ray Brown had the tenacity to play the ball instead of worrying about getting his head taken off by the safety on that interception, he could have either: a) broken up the pass, or b) tackled the safety before he ran the ball back 40 yards into field goal position.It's not Ray Brown's fault we were in a tie game with 40 seconds left, but you have to make a play for the ball, Ray! If the game goes to OT, we might still lose, but at least we have a shot.On the issue of receivers blocking......How many times all year has a running back actually made it past the line, let alone the linebackers? It's human nature: if you don't sense that your contribution is going to make a difference, you might start to slack a little bit over time.On the defensive line......Mangino said they didn't stunt and twist very well. It looked to me like they were simply rushing straight upfield all night long. I WISH they had run some stunts! Then they would bring 2 linebackers straight up the gut and USF only had to clog up the middle. Bring somebody off the edge!All in all, I'm still excited about the season and believe we will have a great year!

joedavis 6 years, 2 months ago

Timstruc, did you honestly register on this site to bash Coach Mangino? Don't you have something better to do with your time--or you just a purple in disguise?

DJay23 6 years, 2 months ago

MY GOD! timstruc is RIGHT! I had not noticed that before, thank you for bringing this to the attention of Jayhawks everywhere. We are all grateful that SOMEONE is paying attention!

Michael Foulston 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm just glad to see Mangino continue to take the "sawin' wood" approach and ignore all the Chicken Little's posting over on the message boards. You'd think the entire team had been sucked into a wormhole the way some of the fan base is panicking. Go Hawks!

timstruc 6 years, 2 months ago

I am a South Florida fan and I got a good look at Coach Mangino from the stands; he was not hard to find. I had heard people talk about his girth before the game but GOOD LORD...............mix in a carrot stick every now and then before your dead my man!!! What an example to set for your players.

thiknthinhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm tired of my coach being such a target for jerks!!!

sdoyel 6 years, 2 months ago

Way to be coach! I thought this was a big issue most people overlooked. It's easy to blame the line, but the lack of downfield blocking at times was horrendous!

shelleysue 6 years, 2 months ago

I was relieved to hear Coach talk about all these things last night. This game is just what we needed - we still have plenty of time to work out the problems and I have no doubt that our genius coach will find the solutions we need.And call me crazy but I think coach actually looks like he has lost some weight.

Lance Hobson 6 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone know how much Mangino weighs? I have some deployed friends who are taking bets...

GoJayhawks 6 years, 2 months ago

Mangino will fix the problem and go 12-1 with a big 12 north title.. This game helped

jayloco 6 years, 2 months ago

Rock Chalk NYC- The Bulls came out in the 2nd half and decided to punch us in the mouth defensively and it seemed to me we did not make many adjustments offensively. The main thing they did was start challenging our WR man to man and using bump coverage at the line. This caused Reesing to hold on to the ball about 1/2 sec longer, which ultimately led to Selvie and the other DL of the Bulls at least getting hits in on Reesing. To me, it would have been a good time to run some delays, or shuffle passes in order to take advantage of their aggressiveness. Instead, I think we ran 6 straight passing plays and were 3 and out two time in a row to start the 2nd half. That got the MO' rolling for the Bulls and they flew with it in the 3rd quarter. I put some of the blame for this loss on our O coordinator. just didn't seem like we didn't counter their changes in the 3rd quarter.I am not one to argue with coach, but talking about the WR blocking is sort of like avoidment the elephant in the room. The big issue is this O line. They are just not creating holes in the interior or sealing off blocks to get guys to the outside. Someone else said this earlier, but if you are a WR, right now you aren't expecting guys to get to the 2nd level on run plays. Thus, you don't think your block is going to matter much. You can't tell me the WR wouldn't block a little better if they felt that their RB was going to run up their backside. To borrow a line from this year's presidential race, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. The O line has to get better if we want to be successful. You can darn well expect our BIG XII brethren to use USF's defensive game plan as a model in their preparations for our Hawks.

Rock_Chalk_NYC 6 years, 2 months ago

Thanks jayloco... good stuff... I agree with ya.Lets hope our O-Line starts to mature (ie get better) really quick. I have confidence they will. And you're definitely right, every future competitor will be watching this game tape!

rkstoops 6 years, 2 months ago

The WR blocking was definitely a problem, but the offensive line was TERRIBLE in the 3rd quarter. Not only did they not block anyone, they were flagged for holding or false start on every series in that quarter. They put us in negative position every time we had the ball. I agree too, that the defense was a bit scary. I couldn't figure out why our DB's were playing so far off their receivers. I can't wait to get Harper back.But we've got a great coach and he'll get them fixed. And Reesing will find ways to get people the ball no matter how bad the line is.

BigD 6 years, 2 months ago

KU,From the replay it looked like Ray had already committed himself in the air expecting the ball to be there. It wasn't the greatest angle (viewpoint of the ball coming in) but it looked like he wasn't in a position to make a play on the ball. Maybe he should have adjusted more but quite frankly Reesing didn't give it enough juice. From that vantage point that pass was all on Reesing. One bad pass out of a ton of great passes that's the way it works sometimes. I know that the coaches wanted that play but the higher probabillity play was the underneath route. We had plenty of time to move to field goal range.

plotku 6 years, 2 months ago

After watching the game on Saturday, I took away a couple of things from the game:1: Our defensive line is not good enough to bring pressure as a unit of 4, heck there were plays where we brought 6 people and the blitz got picked up. 2: Our offensive line (while improving) is not full of the big hosses that are required to have a power running game. 3: Since we don't have the O-line to have a power running game, that leaves you with a the outside running game, where our recievers really let us down4: There was never a reason to not Double team Selvie. He may not have gotten sacks early, but he lived in our backfield.5: We are a good team, not a great team, but a good team. Mangino has this team headed in the right direction and it's exciting. Would it have been great to win on national television, ABSOLUTELY. This team is going to be exciting all year, and if we ever develope a running game. . . . watch out.

JBurtin 6 years, 2 months ago

"if you are a WR, right now you aren't expecting guys to get to the 2nd level on run plays. Thus, you don't think your block is going to matter much"If our wide receivers really are thinking like that, then it's further proof that they are too young to take on the job and need to be replaced. They have their own jobs to do and those jobs should not be done badly even if somebody else is doing their job badly. That's the Terry Allen formula for football and to suggest that it is an acceptable way of thinking is assanine.Seriously though, I think it's pretty stupid for a fan to watch the game once in full speed, assume they have all the answers to what went wrong, then question the coach's analysis of the situation when it doesn't match their own uneducated opinion. I'm sure he's watched every running play in super slo-mo to see who is doing their job. Now he's calling out the players to blame publicly to get them playing harder and all you want to do is offer excuses for them.Sorry man, but I'm not a fan of 2-10 seasons. You'll have to forgive me if I trust my coach's opinion.

actorman 6 years, 2 months ago

I don't think people doubt coach's opinion, JBurtin. But as fans we are certainly entitled to talk about what we think went wrong; that's what this message board is for, for us to discuss our opinions.The focus on the offense and the blocking is important, but to me the defense was a bigger problem. The offense was inconsistent but the defense was TERRIBLE. When USF scored 31 points in a row they were running up and down the field like they were scrimmaging against a junior college team. If we play defense like that against OU, we'll lose by 30 points.

Hawkish4bigM 6 years, 2 months ago

And one thing he will NOT do publicly is complain about his staff which is the right thing to do, yet ultimately they are responsible for getting the guys ready to play. My biggest fear is having such a great QB for this year and next scoring enough points to win every single game without a corresponding defense. What a waste if that happens. The best KU QB in history may have no chance at even a Big 12 title without a competitive D.

JBurtin 6 years, 2 months ago

I like the enthusiasm.Looking at the world through blue glasses while drinking a big glass of Crimson Kool Aid.While I doubt they accomplish all of that, I do think you're right about this game helping. I expect we'll see a bit more of Raymond Brown, Dexton Fields (hopefully), and Marcus Herford out there on offense over the next couple of weeks.Nothing is going to get these young guys playing harder than losing their starting spots. My guess is that they'll get one last chance against Sam Houston State, and being a 1AA, they'd better be taking the defenders to the woodshed.