Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Self steers elder Case to MTSU position

Jeremy Case isn't the only member of his family starting a new job.

Win Case, father of Kansas University's first-year basketball graduate student manager, Monday was named to an assistant coaching position on Kermit Davis' Middle Tennessee State University staff.

Win, who won two national championships as head coach at Oklahoma City University and went 21-11 last season at Redlands Community College, was tipped off about the job by his former Oklahoma State roommate, Bill Self.

"When I was trying to decide if I was going to pursue this position, I got a call from Bill Self, and he just raved about coach Davis," Win Case, 364-138 overall in 16 seasons as a head coach, said in an interview with Middle Tennessee Athletic Communications.

"He (Self) told me coach Davis was one of the best, and he told me I needed to look hard at the position. At that time, the position had not been offered, but what coach Self said certainly appealed in terms of having an opportunity to work with a coach who has that type of reputation. Coach Davis has a reputation around the country that is second to none."

Jeremy Case, who joined Self's staff in early August after playing for KU the last five years, spoke to his dad about the opening as well.

"We talked almost every day before he took the job. He wanted to know my opinion," Jeremy Case said Tuesday. "I said I thought it was a great opportunity. He's always wanted to get on that level, see how he'd do in Div. I basketball. He's very excited."

He's as excited as Jeremy Case is about his new job. Case is taking six hours of classes toward his masters in sports management, and he also daily works in KU's basketball office. Most of his office work involves copying and breaking down game videos.

¢ ¢ ¢

In Henry's home: Xavier Henry, a 6-foot-6 senior guard from Putnam City (Okla.) High, held in-home visits with coaches from Memphis, then Kansas, on Tuesday night. Henry's father, Carl, told Rivals.com it remains "50-50" between KU and Memphis. Carl Henry said his son will make his college choice after visiting both KU (Oct. 17) and Memphis (Oct. 24).

Comments

Jeffery Barrett 13 years, 4 months ago

Gary, MTSU dropped the "State" from it's name years ago. It's now The University of Middle Tennessee.

Baha 13 years, 4 months ago

Chill Boy's and Girl's... There are more fish in the pond than just young Xavier... If we get him, Great.. if not, is it really that big of as loss? Realize that he is probably a two year player at most... There are several other top 20 players that we are in the running for so relax and let ALL the chips fall where they may... I still believe X will be a Jayhawk...

Lance Hobson 13 years, 4 months ago

Recruiting is so dicey, we could get all or none of the guys we want. I'm glad Bill Self knows what he's doing. It must be hard to do all of these in-home visits and make promises knowing that in theory, if all of these guys chose Kansas he'd have to turn down a few.

jaybate 13 years, 4 months ago

With a ring, Self now gets to be compared by recruits even up with the best coaches. Ask the key question: who would you rather have your son play for, Self or:Ben Howland--can't win a ring with the best material, can't win a ring with a great back court, can't win a ring with the best center, looks like a semi-pro bush league-er dressed up in nice clothes, teaches cheap shot defense.Coach K--hasn't won a ring in years, hasn't attracted the best players in years, orders his players to cheap shot opponents whenever Duke falls behind, acts like a jerk to players frequently.Lute Olson--coaches through his first wife's death (Mr. Sentimental), quickly remarries, quickly has marital problems, quits coaching to divorce his second wife, runs off the interim coach that the players decide they like, resumes coaching when no one wants him to.Roy Williams--I'm a Jayhawk forever. I'm going to UNC. The kids are family. Leaves kids proving family is just a recruiting hustle. Late middle aged man still taking orders from an octogenarian marionette. Coaches a brand of ball that no one but him coaches and no team but his plays. Defense, increasingly the coin of the realm in the game, is just a technique for speeding up the transition game under him.

jaybate 13 years, 4 months ago

John Calipari--can't win the ring reputedly bending rules at UMass, jumps to the L, where he's totally out of his depth and gets fired, knocks around and resurfaces at that citadel of virtue, Memphis, where he mysteriously can suddenly attract vast numbers of prison bodies, plus the number one draft choice in the L, plus another All-American in CDR, but can't coach his way out of a paper bag down the stretch of the biggest game of his life.Bruce Perle--do any parents, of any ethnic background, want their kid playing for a coach who wears Volunteer orange dress suits? No ring. No big wins when it has counted. No apparent system. No nuttin. Just a big, big smile and that suit.Jim Boeheim--the poster child for the path of least resistance in basketball, teaches defense the way no one else plays it, can't get his team free of the dreadful Carrier Dome--the basketball equivalent of a blimp hangar with seats, can't get excited about anything, can't bring himself to strategize beyond zoning, would rather watch the game from the bench than coach it.John Thompson Version 2.0--JT V1.0 single handedly turned basketball into a street fight and JT V2.0 carries on the tradition. Do you want your son playing for a legacy kid, or someone who is actually good enough to make it on his own?Jim Calhoun--a certifiable winner, but a world class cry baby who is very likely to have a coronary before your son does his one and done.Billy Donovan--a viable alternative if you want your basketball star son playing for a football school, where the coach jumps to the L and then changes his mind before his feet hit the ground.Rick Pitino--can you trust a guy capable of winning a ring at UK and bolting for the show, only to disgrace himself, knock around, and surface at UK's arch rival? Can you trust your kid to a Coach they call "Slick Rick?"Bob Huggins--cheerleaders, alcohol, prison bodies, apparently fired apparently from UCinn, apparently requires only incidental class attendance (even of four year players), spent a year at KSU, told the fans of a school who's color is purple to wear black, bolted on KSU, left TWO super recruits stuck in the Little Apple, when he left for WVU.Compared to the lot of them, Self seems stellar.

Billy Derringer 13 years, 4 months ago

13 years, 4 months ago

Jeremy Case is another class act. The apple usually doesn't fall far from the tree. Good to see things going well for him and his father.I think we could seal the deal with Xavier if we sent 100 and jross1972 down to pay him an in-home visit :o)

jerhawk 13 years, 4 months ago

we need henry, its a magical place, lawence ks. remember bloody ks! self can mold him into a better pro player than anybody else. rock chalk jayhawk

bmkjayhawk 13 years, 4 months ago

I was just reading on rivals.com about all the in-home visits Self will be making in the near future:#3 Xavier Henry (last night)#22 Daniel Orton (today)#11 Michael Snaer (9/11)#18 Thomas Robinson (9/13)#16 Dominic Cheek (9/15)#1 John Wall (9/16)#27 Elijah Johnson (9/23)What an exciting time. Rivals had some pretty good things to say about the whole situation, stating that KU is "the team to beat" for Robinson and Johnson, and that we have a very good shot with Cheek, Henry, Wall and Orton. Obviously we won't get all of these guys, and even the ones for whom we're supposedly the team to beat are not guaranteed commitments, but it seems like we're in a pretty good position. They said few, if any, are better with an in-home visit than Bill Self. I like that. Julian Wright liked it, too.

oldcoach 13 years, 4 months ago

I was sitting under the basket at KSU when Carl Henry hit the winning basket that started that great winning streak. That was probably before Derringer was even born. Listen short gun, Carl Henry was and is not a disapointment to KU. Recruiting these young athletes is difficult enough without the fans popping off with remarks like Derringer's.

Nutflush21 13 years, 4 months ago

First off, I love that we have two people on this board using wikipedia at a credible resource. Thats just funny.Secondly, Rabyers, Xavier will not have to compete with anyone for playing time. The kid is a stud and will start for any school in the nation and then promptly go to the league after one season. And by the way, the MTSU calls itself Middle Tenn. State Univ. in its mission statement. I believe thats game, set and match.

Jaydub 13 years, 4 months ago

Geez Derringer, give the kid a break. It's a tough decision. If we get him, he will be worth all the time and effort.

DSommersby 13 years, 4 months ago

I love Carl Henry as a Jayhawk and I will love Xavier Henry as a Jayhawk. Come on to KU, Xavier!

Steve Day 13 years, 4 months ago

Sgtjb123........What??It is still Middle Tennessee State University. If you question that, maybe try visiting their website at www.mtsu.edu. Check your facts.

Rick Arnoldy 13 years, 4 months ago

Nutflush, the wiki references aren't used as statement of fact. They merely point out there are multiple names used to reference the school regardless of the official name, a.l.a "University of Kansas" and "Kansas University". drop, wipe, (nut)flush.

JayCeph 13 years, 4 months ago

Has anyone else noticed how Quintrell Thomas' name is awfully close to Quantrill's? I wonder if we can spin this name-association to our advantage during the Border War with... that other team.

Jarod DeLozier 13 years, 4 months ago

I live in Nashville, about 30 minutes from MTSU. It is not called the University of Middle Tennessee. Where do people get this stuff??

Rick Arnoldy 13 years, 4 months ago

wiki citation..."The university's athletic teams simply refer to the school as "Middle Tennessee" or "MT", abandoning the words "State University". This is being done to save another logo change should the university change its name to "University of Middle Tennessee", as has been long-rumored."

rabyers 13 years, 4 months ago

Now Now I'll take 50 50. At least we are in the running and likely have a good chance. The question is does young Mr Henry want to compete against his older brother for playing time? ALso thanks to Mr Henry Senior for being a class act and letting his children make their decisions. Wouldn't want someone here whose daddy told them to come.

cklarock 13 years, 4 months ago

@JayCeph: I can almost write the headlines already. :)

Drew Bender 13 years, 4 months ago

Jaybate,I see your points on the other coaches but they could all argue that Bill Self has only ever been to one Final Four... I do think he is the best coach in the nation but its just something to think about

jaybate 13 years, 4 months ago

Again, Coach K, Lute Olson, and Bob Knight, to name three ring winners, all came from a school of basketball that says when you fall behind more than fifteen points in the second half, you start cheap shotting an opponent in hopes of disrupting the opponent so much that he loses his temper and blows his lead. It is just a part of the game when you start to pull away against one of their teams. You have to go through a period of time on the floor when your players are at significant risk of physical injury. And if you send your kid to anyone of the these three guys you know that your kid is going to be taught how to take cheaps shots.And I believe that if your kid plays significant minutes over a couple years, he is eventually going to be given the order. It may come veiled. It may come direct. I don't claim to know anything first hand about these coaches or their players. I can't prove it. I can only say that it seems they play this way when I watch their teams. I have not seen KU under Bill, or under Roy do this. Larry Brown's and Ted Owens' teams did not do it. I never saw Eddie Sutton's teams do this. I've not seen Rick Butcher Barnes, or Slick Rick Pitino's teams do it. Wooden and Denny Crum's teams never did it. I never saw Tarkanian's teams do it. Frankly, I can't think of many teams other than the three I mentioned that did it.As great of a winner as Coach K is, I suspect you would agree with me on this: if either of our kids asked us which coach would be the better to play for, Coach K, or Bill Self, we would both say, knowing full well that neither man is a saint, and that Coach K has won many more rings, Bill Self for sure!And I would add: I would rather my kid play for ANY of the coaches mentioned above that do not go in for this cheap shotting, rather than Coach K. I really don't like it. Does it show? :-)

jaybate 13 years, 4 months ago

ESUjayhawk,Good point. Self has to win a few more rings to be considered a greater coach than the likes of Coach K in anyone's eye...in terms of winning.Still, I have never felt the total number of rings won can outweigh a person's treatment of his players, or oppposing players. Bob Knight won many rings and 900 plus games, too, but I would not have wanted my child to play for him under ANY circumstances at any time in his "storied" career. And I would have been quite happy if my child did not have to play against him either. Its not that Knight was so good, or so hard to beat. Roy proved Knight was quite beatable starting the second time he coached against Knight. The problem with Knight is that your kids are going to have watch Knight bully his own players, bully your players, bully the referees, bully the opposing coach, bully the media, and bully the fans. AND you have to ask your players to take the risk of being cheap shotted, and perhaps injured, should your players get up 15 in the second half.And if you schedule Coach K, or Lute Olson's teams, you are asking them to put up with the same kind of cheap shotting, as Knights, if they pull into a fifteen point lead.Maybe I am a dinosaur, or naive, or both, but I think there are and have been quite a few terrific coaches with or without rings that did not resort to this sort of thing. Ray Meyer at Depaul was beloved and respected by many as a fine coach and teacher. He never won a ring. His teams never cheap shotted when 15 down. Dana Altman at Creighton is a fine coach who has never won a ring. His teams do not cheap shot when 15 down. Tim Jankovich who left the KU program for Illinois State would be a great guy to play for even though he's probably not going to win a ring at Illinois State ever. I have heard his teams don't cheap shot when 15 down. At the other end of the spectrum, John Wooden won ten rings. Never cursed out his players. His teams didn't cheap shot when 15 down. There have been many, many fine coaches that have not won rings, and others who have, but who treated their players with respect and who treated the opposing players and coaches with respect.