Thursday, October 23, 2008

KU chant options narrowed to two

Kansas University's student newspaper is letting students vote on alternatives to a vulgar chant currently yelled at KU football games. Students will be asked to vote online today for either "Go : Jayhawks!" or "Kayyyyyyyy (kick) Youuuuuuuu!"

And then there were two.

Kansas University's student newspaper has winnowed its options for a new football kickoff chant.

Voting on a new chant to replace the vulgar "Rip his (expletive) head off" concluded Wednesday on kansan.com.

Now, University Daily Kansan editor Matt Erickson said students will be asked to vote online today for either "Go : Jayhawks!" or "Kayyyyyyyy (kick) Youuuuuuuu!"

Those two were the winners in polls conducted this week.

After voting concludes today, the newspaper will encourage students to use the winning chant during Saturday's homecoming game against Texas Tech.

On Monday, Kansan staffers offered online voters five options, and "Go... Jayhawks!" won that contest with 46 percent of the votes by the Wednesday deadline.

Other submissions also were voted on, in a separate poll. The winner of that group - "Kayyyyyyyy (kick) Youuuuuuuu!" - earned 51 percent of the votes in that poll. As of 5:30 p.m., a total of 1,484 people had voted for the student-submitted entries, and 1,373 had voted for the Kansan-submitted options.

Also, Erickson said the Kansan and the chancellor's office had split the cost of a full-page ad that's to appear in today's student newspaper protesting continued use of the existing chant. The Kansan and the chancellor's office each paid $570 to cover the cost of the ad, said Jordan Herrmann, Kansan business manager.

"We've got swagger. You don't have to swear," the ad reads. Two young children are pictured, covering their ears.

Comments

Sean Rodger 6 years, 1 month ago

Somebody just needs to hold up a sign that says "Explicit Language" or "Parental Advisory"Would that help?

jayhawkr34 6 years, 1 month ago

ive been to a home game and watched a home game on tv......seems to me there are alot more than students yelling it.im not for or against the chant....but it seems the attention you give things the more popular it gets?

Ted Toulouse 6 years, 1 month ago

I've got a feeling that something even more creative will bellow forth from the student section this weekend now that others have "voted" for change. Man I can't wait until GAMEDAY!

Mr_Sandman 6 years, 1 month ago

Little kids hear cuss words all the time. I am not saying it is right to expose them to the words, but TV, brothers and sisters, mom and dad, and their friends at school with introduce them to many expletives without the help of the KU student section. It is hardly a traumatic experience to hear a few cuss words as a child, just ask my grandpa.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 1 month ago

display,Do you really think students would yell, "Rip his freaking head off!" It's the same thing when we play mizzou and the "Muck Fizzou" always turning into "F- Mizzou." Did anyone tell the students that "GOOOO (kick) Jayhawks!" was stolen from Notre Dame's "GOOOO (kick) Irish!"

mace221 6 years, 1 month ago

Yeah poster 100 is an idiot.Also...Anyone remember the last year when the Kansan tried to replace of the "Muck Fizzou" shirts? Didn't work at all. This new chant won't work either.

John Brown 6 years, 1 month ago

What a bout 'Airrrr Balll' every time the opposing team throws the ball and misses the intended receiver? Or, Airrrr Head if it bounces of the helmet of the intended reciever. 'Butter fingers if the opposing team drops the ball.

ajs10 6 years, 1 month ago

Nobody in the student section will chant either of those.

Dick Murdock 6 years, 1 month ago

I think they should Snakes On A Plane it to "Rip his mother f***ing head off."

quigley 6 years, 1 month ago

You want to tell me what is missing in my life 909? I was simply trying to make a funny comment about making noise (in an acceptable way) even if others were not. Get a life.

Eurekahwk 6 years, 1 month ago

They're just words. Get over it. Cry less about what your kids are doing, and stand up and actually cheer for your team.

DJay23 6 years, 1 month ago

As a KU alum who lives out of state, I am embarrassed when friends of mine point out the lack of class KU students have in this regard. The national media has picked this up now. Our games are on national television more and more and people across the country are starting to see us the way we Jayhawks see Mizzou; classless imbecils. The excuses that you are "college students" or that it gets you "fired up" are lame at best and really demeans your alma mater more than it does either of the other two things. When I say that, i don't mean it demeans a bunch of buildings on a hill, or some stuffed shirts in those buildings. It demeans those who came before you and those who will follow. There is so much about KU that I am proud of, but this is not one of them.

Jayhawk1116 6 years, 1 month ago

jayahwk02, it's up to you to confront that student behind you. If he wants to live the "college experience" then he needs to go to the student section. There's nothing in the Constitution that says purchasing a ticket to a sporting event gives you the right to be wasted and verbally abusive. He can go to a Chiefs game for that ( a Chiefs game doesn't count as a sporting event - there have to be athletes on the field for that ;)

bmcmich1 6 years, 1 month ago

The team needs all the support you can give them on Saturday. That means (gasp!) STANDING UP on big third downs to make some noise for the defense, that means MAKING SOME NOISE on kickoffs, expletive or not! You don't have to SAY anything clever, just BE LOUD!This game Saturday is HUGE!!!! The team's going to bring their A game, let's as fans bring ours!!!!!

rockchalkAZ 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm just wondering why this all of a sudden became an issue... I understand that we are getting more national TV games than we have in the past, but why did nobody bring this up last year? The fact of the matter is, we (myself included) are a bunch of immature kids. All the attention being brought to the chant makes us want to yell it more; it's fuel to the fire. Sure, some students may stop yelling it, but most are going to continue to do it (again, myself included). but by all means, keep arguing about it on these message boards. it might accomplish something... probably not

John Percival 6 years, 1 month ago

02 - AMEN. People that have to "start at 8:00 a.m." to enjoy the awesome setting of Memorial Stadium & college football(or anything else for that matter) are sorely missing something in their lives. Do you have to get ripped to get loud at AFH??Support the team because they have KU on the helmet, not because you've had a 6-pack before you came into the game.

jayhawkdandy 6 years, 1 month ago

How come the Rip His chant wasn't an option to vote for? Because that is the chant that will win on Sat.

ku_guy505 6 years, 1 month ago

We're better than swear words? Do you realize how many swear words are emitted from players' mouths on every down, some of the time mouthing the swear while the camera is on them so everyone at home can see what he said?I'm not advocating swearing, but I'm not opposed to it because whatever unites the Jayhawk faithful into a powerful chant of "stop the ball carrier" greatly appeals to me and I think it intimidates opponents and pumps up our team. So what's the big deal? Are we THAT paranoid about sheltering our kids from hearing inappropriate words, or are we just trying to avoid having to lecture our kids on what they should or shouldn't say?I would worry more about teaching your kids not to murder after watching the daily news on your local TV channels.

Ryan Wood 6 years, 1 month ago

Students want to cuss because it makes them feel cool and it reassures them that mommy and daddy can't tell them what to do anymore.A 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct will solve this quicker than any media crusade.

quigley 6 years, 1 month ago

WHO CARES?!! Why don't you run articles pumping up ALL fans to get loud instead of running these dumb ones about the chant. Can't you leave that to the student newspaper?

KU 6 years, 1 month ago

Question for those who were at Norman: Doesn't the OU crowd yell "Ooooooooooo" (kick) "U!" They had plenty of practice last Saturday, so I thought maybe somebody might have taken notice.

HondaFoo 6 years, 1 month ago

I still think "Rock his chalking head off" is the best alternative.

eastTXjayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

i just hope we kick off enough for the chant to even matter.

eastland 6 years, 1 month ago

As an alum with kids who also likes to get rowdy at the games, I can see both sides of this. I would not want my 3 yo daughter to walk around dropping f-bombs. I also know that kids hear this stuff everywhere they go. You can't keep them away from it completely. At the same time, I think it's all in fun and no harm is meant by those who participate in the chant.I just wish our fan base spent as much energy supporting the team at the games as they have complaining about the chant.

DocBean 6 years, 1 month ago

Why does there need to be just ONE chant?Why don't you just change the kickoff yell every kick?like changing up the free throw distractions for the opposition in basketball.

jayhawk02 6 years, 1 month ago

This is really sad. I can't describe how disappointed I am. Most of you are just plain SELFISH! You are not the only ones who paid good money for a ticket to enjoy the game. Just because you paid to get in, you think that entitles you to do whatever you want. What about the rest of us who bring our small children to watch the games? I for one, don't want to hear my children walking around the house saying "Rip his f***ing head off!" There is a saying that says, "Garbage in, garbage out." Whatever our kids hear, will sit in their brain. And the more they hear it, the more it will fester until someday they let it come out. As for the comment "they will hear it on TV", yes, they may, but not until they are older (we moniter what our kids watch.) There is no reason a 3-12 year old needs to hear the F-word. PERIOD. Do you guys honestly think that by cussing, you will make the players play better? If by getting drunk and swearing throughout the game makes our team perform better, then Mizsewery would have won several championships by now. All you are doing is giving our fine program a black eye to those who are visiting. Stop thinking only of yourselves and please start being more considerate of others. Rock Chalk!

bmcmich1 6 years, 1 month ago

Wow, if this ain't typical. Freakin 60+ comments on the article about the chant. Have any of the articles about the football team received this many comments lately?It's just like some people at the games. They'd rather pay attention to who's ticking them off in their section than pay attention to WHAT'S HAPPENING ON THE FIELD!eastland had the line of the day: "I just wish our fan base spent as much energy supporting the team at the games as they have complaining about the chant."Do some of you realize that maybe SUPPORTING YOUR TEAM is more important than supporting your own agenda????!!!! Sheesh...

John Percival 6 years, 1 month ago

1116 (or Roy!) I agree, as well. However, I manage to get loud without downing a pint before the game, cussing or waiting for the video board to tell me to do so. For those who think I'm self-righteous, I go to the Hawk or Wheel for that part of my existence (it's a lot cheaper).

mbmerriman 6 years, 1 month ago

i dont know about anyone else but my buddies and i were cussing on the playground by the time 1st grade rolled around, my little sister who goes to the games doesnt even understand what they are saying so this really isnt that big of a deal. I sit in the family bowl and when Mangino came on all the parents clapped like the chant was ACTUALLY going to end, haha, then after the first kickoff they all looked at each other in shock. WOW

sevenyearhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

ugh ...it's repulsive, but this is just spitting into the wind.I still think they ought to go with this idea:http://www.tritech.com/images/copter1NEWtierrasantafire7.5.05.JPG

Andy Hess 6 years, 1 month ago

have all the contests you want, it won't make a difference.

KUfanDan 6 years, 1 month ago

This is the very definition of a media driven problem. I wouldn't say the chant myself, I think it lacks creativity, I do understand why college kids would. However there is a very simple solution. Simply drown them out. yell louder so no one can hear the chant. If you don't like the chant yell so loud you can not hear it. when enough people are making the same effort to drown them out not only will the problem be solved it will greatly increase the volume of sound which is going to pump the team up even more.. everyone wins. One more thing. If people cant hear the chant because the rest of the crowd is so loud It will die out very quickly there will be some that will keep yelling it for a while just to be contrary but most will just start yelling with the rest of the crowd. thats my view on it

LakeShawnee 6 years, 1 month ago

Jayhawk1116, I agree with you about both football and basketball fans. My football seats are on the west side of Memorial and already once this season I've been asked to sit down so people behind me can see. As for hoops, these past two seasons the seats directly behind mine have gone to an "e-bay" ticket holder and there is a new fan almost every game. During basketball season, I'm usually asked two to three times per year to sit down.I just wish JoeCollege made a shirt that on the back read: "Allen Fieldhouse & Memorial Stadium: Seatbelts not required."

gooftroop 6 years, 1 month ago

I would rather take my kid to a WWF match than a KU football game. The WWF has classier fans.

jayhawk02 6 years, 1 month ago

Right on 100. If you don't want to respect other fans' wishes to stop the chant, then PLEASE at least show some respect for Coach Magino and his wishes. I'm not asking people to sit down and be quiet........it's not tennis. In fact, I will be standing and yelling the entire game myself......without the cussing. If I'm not mistaken, it was Coach Magino, his staff and the players who went 12-1 last season, and not the cussing fans. The players get pumped up off of the noise, not the words.

eastTXjayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

and about the cussing etc...i'm sure it's only us old folks (yep, i'm a dusty 42) that even care....do the students care that they're compared to the antlers, probably not, other than it's a mizzery slam. hmmm...sh!t, i can't think of anything better to say..........

741hawk 6 years, 1 month ago

I was at Norman on Saturday and it was LOUD. So loud I couldn't hear anything distinctly. Just LOUD! And, they stood up for EVERY play. And there was no track to keep us away from the field.If those old farts on the West Side ask you to sit down, tell them to stand up, and if they kleep complaining, tell 'em you'll report them to Lew so he can sell the damn tickets to a fan. (I have).

gooftroop 6 years, 1 month ago

Would you yell that chant if your grandmother was sitting next to you? Hopefully not. Then don't yell it on national television. Show a some class. Yell loud and yell often but keep it clean.

barackchalkjhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Vote for Change!!! Really, we are better than this, at least we were in my day (there I said it). Stop sounding like jort wearing MU fans and take a little more pride in your school.

William James 6 years, 1 month ago

jayhawkclassof02-You seem fairly confident that many universities across America use the F-Bomb in their kickoff chant. Well, Im listening. I would love to hear about another school that has as trashy a kickoff chant as ours.Ive been to mid-majors stadiums as well as some of the power houses like Notre Dame and Auburn. I understand that you might not have access to said stadiums, but dont go telling everyone that all the schools students are acting as trashy as our students are acting.Folks, this is the trashiest chant in America. Until we fix this, I dont want to hear any Jayhawk talking about Mizzou and how unclassy they can be, because right now, we are pretty well blowing them out of the water.

kansas22 6 years, 1 month ago

Yell. That's it. It doesn't matter what you say or if you say anything at all. The thing we should be worried about are the people sitting on their butts throughout the entire game making no noise at all. Screw one single cuzz word. The ones that don't make any noise at all are the real problems.

KGphoto 6 years, 1 month ago

But how do we know the votes will be counted fairly?Honestly, this reminds me of the uptight dentist in our neighborhood when I was a kid. He used to hand out tiny toothpaste samples on Halloween instead of candy. They always ended up smeared all over his driveway.It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I have to say, the two elected options sound about as fun as cereal box prizes. I can't believe they can't come up with something a little more original than "Go Jayhawks".I think this will go over, about as well as a required uniform. Let's also take away signs and face paint. Institute a penalty or corrective action against decibel infractions, and install seat belts in the student sections.I mean, it's college. It's the students team as much as anybody's, and they already chose their chant. Lobbying for specific conservative behavior so little kids aren't ruined by exposure to such "vulgarity" is certainly anybody's right. But a chant is a chant. I doubt any of these poor kids will become serial killers or even playground bullies because they heard a silly chant.

ku_guy505 6 years, 1 month ago

I find it ironic how most of the people who find the chant appalling on here are people who claim to be 10, 20, 30 years older than the college students who shout the chant. They accuse them, but then go on to add, "but that's fine, I was immature back then, too." So then you're a hypocrite. I don't care how old you are. Just because you aren't a student anymore and don't share the same enjoyment of standing, whooping, and hollering in the student section that all the "youngins" experience, doesn't mean that 100 years ago when you were "old enough" to do that stuff you wouldn't be yelling the chant yourselves.So where does that leave us? A bunch of old fogies who grew out of the college experience and feel like they should point the finger at everyone young and daddy/mommy them into being "nice."

TKELuke 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm still going to chant "Rip his F***ing head off"

mariochalmersfan15 6 years, 1 month ago

the comment I put on here was my opinion and if you don't like it, I could care less

100 6 years, 1 month ago

Mangino brought you an Orange bowl victory and nearly a birth in the national championship game last year. He also asked you to stop the chant. So stop. On a side note, if everybody in the stadium would yell extremely Adam Sandler loud before each kickoff, while standing up and clapping and stomping on the loud metal bleachers, kids and grandparents included, this would be a non-issue, and the stands would feel like -- last year (finally).Why not do this the entire game? ("wow, dad, this yelling and stomping is a blast! It is much more fun than frowning quietly like we usually do at kickoffs and during important 3rd down defensive stands. I actually feel like I'm part of the game!")

jayhawk02 6 years, 1 month ago

Hey Fabio, everyone of my posts is AGAINST the chant. I've been saying all along that it doesn't belong at Memorial Stadium.

jayhawk02 6 years, 1 month ago

NO ku_guy, I'm not being a hypocrite by asking people not to swear at the games. Yes, 20 years ago, I was in the student sections yelling like everyone else, but I was NEVER swearing at the top of my lungs. Sure, if the other team scored or we had a turnover, I may have said da&% it. But I would never swear in front of people I didn't even know. ESPECIALLY if they had little children with them. It's one thing to be young and carefree, but it's another to be completely disrespectful.

Jayhawk1116 6 years, 1 month ago

By the way, my comment goes double for the basketball fans...

KUdude101 6 years, 1 month ago

WEAR BLUE & GET LOUD HOME CROWD!!!!Drink as much as you have to get loud for this one people!! As fans, we have to bring our A game to Memorial!! Our team needs us and when we win, they will thank us!! With a win on Saturday, we'll have the confidence to win the North!!GO HAWKS!!

stravinsky 6 years, 1 month ago

I hope all of you on both sides of the issue who feel like the way to express yourself here is to demean people of the other opinion realize that it sort of destroys your argument when you sound like a judgmental prick. Some people like to drink, some think it's dumb. Some curse, some don't. Respect some opinions, people. You don't have to start insulting people to make a point.I mean, yeah, it's sort of rude to curse in front of random people, especially young kids... but jeez. Some of you get so worked up. Try getting off your high horse and being rational about it though instead of complaining and thinking that you're a better, more moral person than everyone else.

castarke25 6 years, 1 month ago

I think it is funny how they took the Highest one voted that was submitted by the students and the highest one voted that was submitted by the staff. The reason these were the first and second highest was cause they conveniently Excluded the one that had the highest voting which was "all of these make me want to rip my head off!" which had 641 votes which was 55% of the votes. Way to go KANSAN nice try sneaking that one by us.

100 6 years, 1 month ago

It's pretty easy to see we have an ample # of antler fans who have posed as Jayhawks and invaded the site today to stir us up. You're not even good at disguising it. Go back to Columbia and go take a swim...in your world famous creek.

kansaspike 6 years, 1 month ago

How about.....raaaaaaaaaaa (constant until ball is kicked)chalk jayhawk KU!...like at the end of the normal jayhawk chant.SOMETHING more unique that these two options please!!!!!!!

Jayhawk1116 6 years, 1 month ago

909603, I agree. Purchasing a ticket to a sporting event doesn't give anyone the right to get totally smashed and yell and swear at players, coaches, refs, opposing fans. But on 3rd down or at a critical moment in the game I think it's totally appropriate to stand up and get loud. I miss the Mizzou games at Memorial. The only time we sat down was during timeouts. Now you stand up and hope enough people will follow...

chicagohawk52 6 years, 1 month ago

Posted by mariochalmersfan15 (anonymous) on October 23, 2008 at 12:58 p.m. (Suggest removal)Im Still Going To Say "Rip His F*ing Head Off"...it's a free country and I can say whatever I want to say------------------------------------Wow! That might be the most ignorant thing I have ever heard! Clearly anyone who supports the notion that it's okay to curse anywhere has no respect for anyone. What if your boss or a coworker constantly call you a hick or an a or anything that you wouldn't like to be called. Would you just smile and say "o'well it's a free country they can say what they want"Have a little class Jayhawknation, this is embarrassing to hear people who always talk about other schools and their lack of class, defend this example of classlesness. Have some respect for your school!

Displayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Why do we have to change the whole chant???Can't the students yell "Rip his freaking head off" instead???That way they don't say the expletive, but they still yell the chant. Eventually, the media attention will die down, and the chant will go away.I agree with ajs10, those two contest winners won't get yelled at all, because they aren't reasonable alternatives to the original chant.

LakeShawnee 6 years, 1 month ago

When watching other schools who have a kickoff chant, their chant isn't just shouted by the student section but is instead, shouted by a majority of everyone in attendance. Of all those on here who are moaning about the student section's chant, how many of you will be participating in the new chant this weekend?If the rest of the crowd participated in this new chant, it would surely drown out the old one.

avaholic 6 years, 1 month ago

I have an idea. I'm sure most of you have seen the Underarmor commercials. Why not make a lot of noise and then when the ball is kicked, everyone yells:"WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!!"Just a thought.

TaCityHawkFan 6 years, 1 month ago

How about the student section put some thought into it and come up with a great chant! The existing chant is lame! Come up with something that can be used for years to come, excites all of the fans, and does not display a lack of respect to the other patrons at the games.Get a little bit of class as all KU fans should have. Show people why you should be considered adults rather than minors. You are not in High School anymore!

gooftroop 6 years, 1 month ago

Those old farts on the West Side payed big bucks for those seats and I don't think Lew is going to want to make them mad. Who do you think pays Lew's salary?

njthomas 6 years, 1 month ago

"We were my in my day"? You mean, back when the football team was terrible, the stadium was half full, and the students showed up for a half, maybe, stayed quiet the whole time, and then left?Let's face it. People suck. The only thing that has changed is the manner in which they suck.

kansaspike 6 years, 1 month ago

I don't think I have a better chant idea at the moment.But no doubt this is lame, lame, lame.

Jayhawk1116 6 years, 1 month ago

KU has the WORST, most BORING, QUIET, WINE AND CHEESE fans in the country! Instead of worrying what the kids YELL (even though I don't agree with it) let's worry and criticize those that AREN"T YELLING!!! There are too many grandparents that just want to sit and peacefully watch the game without others standing up during critical plays and cheering. Most of KU's games are televised now. If you're not into it, STAY HOME!!!

DalTXJayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

The fact is others notice. As an alum, I feel we should demonstrate respect and class that is lacking at mu, otherwise, we become 'Antlers West'. A title that should offend even you 8am drunks! If ESPN and others are talking about it in a negative light, it reflects poorly on the University. We should strive to be loud, rowdy and have fun at the games, but also show respect to both other fans and the other team. (unless it's mu)

quigley 6 years, 1 month ago

Agreed KUdude-I am getting started around 8am on Sat. My plan is to get in the "zone" where I don't care if I am the only one around me yelling. Oh, I guess I will have a buddy doing the same too.

CarterFaucheaux 6 years, 1 month ago

Mark "You bleepin' hot dog" Mangino asked us to stop? The same Mark Mangino who was kicked out of Lawrence High Football games for screaming obscenities at officials during his son's games? He's a good coach, but you've got to be kidding me with the morality police stuff.

Rick Arnoldy 6 years, 1 month ago

Posted by mbmerriman (anonymous) "i dont know about anyone else but my buddies and i were cussing on the playground by the time 1st grade rolled around, my little sister who goes to the games doesnt even understand what they are saying so this really isnt that big of a deal." And you're apparently oblivious that those who heard you then considered you jerks and those who hear you now still consider you jerks.The OU crowd does yell "Ooooooooooo" (kick) "U!". The OU crowd was the loudest of any stadium I've been to and I don't think I heard a cuss word all day.

KUGreenMachine 6 years, 1 month ago

...i remember back in the day (not that long ago) when the entire crowd participated in traditions such as waving the weat, and rock chalk jayhawk chant at both basketball and football home games...it's sad to see just the student section participating in these traditions...also, i remember when all fans stayed until the end of the game...now it's only the student section that is loyal...point being, the students seem to be the ones carrying the tradition on their shoulders and keeping up with the chants, so them shout an inspirational chant such as rip his fn head off should be no one elses business. if the majority of the crowd won't rock chalk jayhawk, then i don't think they should be allowed to criticize the rest of the students chants/traditions...

John Percival 6 years, 1 month ago

good one, quig. Missed the humor. I wasted 15 years of my life with someone like yourself. drink up!

KUdude101 6 years, 1 month ago

Right on Jwliddell! Let's win on Saturday. I care about the team and its future than some chant.

100 6 years, 1 month ago

Mangino asked you to stop. So stop.

KUdude101 6 years, 1 month ago

110% Agree 741Hawk!! I'll be on the West side of the stadium and believe you me, I'll be standing and yelling loudly! Those old farts will have no choice but to either not watch the game or stand up and join me!!!

live4h2o 6 years, 1 month ago

This is lame. Are you kidding me? You want to replace that cheer with "KKaaayyyy - Yoooouuu" or Go... jayhawks? If I ever catch the guy who came up with this campaign or who thought of those "clever" cheers I am going to rip his (expletive) head off.

William Cormode 6 years, 1 month ago

Cussing is the mark of a weak mind. Something that a person says when they can think of nothing better to say. Cussing brings big impact and the people who often cuss are not able to articulate well enough to make an impact without cussing.

mariochalmersfan15 6 years, 1 month ago

Im Still Going To Say "Rip His F***ing Head Off"...it's a free country and I can say whatever I want to say

FlaHawk 6 years, 1 month ago

What a wste of tiem .... next topic .... plezzzzzzze!

Jayhawk1116 6 years, 1 month ago

mariochalmersfan15 your stance of it's a free country and you can say whatever you want is a little childish, don't you think? It's not true either. Go yell "Fire" in a theater or Wal-Mart and you'll get arrested. You can't always say what you want. Free Country? Tell me on April 15th how free this country is. But that's not the issue. It's not about what you CAN say; it's about what you SHOULD say. CLASS NEVER GOES OUT OF STYLE.

LakeShawnee 6 years, 1 month ago

I sit on the West side and I'm not an "old fart."

gooftroop 6 years, 1 month ago

What's next, cheering when a player is injured?

Sean Rodger 6 years, 1 month ago

Seriously - we're talking about a chant here! Big deal - there is worse things going on than that...But while on the subject - a friend of mine thinks maybe they should chant "Give Him A Friendly Hug".Anyways - doin' it with the word "freakin" is lame - way lame! A lot of people say "effin'" - just replace it like that - "Rip His Effin' Head Off".Problem solved.

Displayhawk 6 years, 1 month ago

Plastic, I think the students are more likely to change their original chant than they are to replace it!I am not so naive that I think that all the students will say freaking instead of the expletive.My point was to offer a reasonable alternative to the students that they might actually use, as opposed to the two chants that they won't use!

jayhawk02 6 years, 1 month ago

mariochalmersfan15, that is a real mature comment, one which I would expect from someone who continually curses in public, even when others have asked him to stop. Sounds like something my 13 year old would say. That's OK though, I was immature too back in the day. Just hope you and others will be more considerate to other people's wishes.

quigley 6 years, 1 month ago

After reading back through my comments, perhaps I should give 909 the benefit of the doubt. I am NOT a college student, I am NOT going to yell the student section cheer, and I am NOT missing anything in my life. Let's just chalk this up as a misunderstanding so I don't have to be any more pissed off at you....Deal?

jayhawk02 6 years, 1 month ago

Jhawk116, I can agree with you to a certain extent. The team does get fired up whenever the crowd yells. However, I'd rather it be quiet than have fans swearing, making our University look like mU. Please make some noise, but keep it classy. And to KUfanDan, how will yelling something else prevent my kids from listening to that drunk studen who sits right behind us? I'm not asking students to sit on their hands and snooze through the game. By all means yell and support your team......in a TASTEFUL manner though. Rock Chalk.

Mike Blur 6 years, 1 month ago

Dude in the picture has the scariest armpit ever.

rockchalkAZ 6 years, 1 month ago

jocohawkNmo 6 years, 1 month ago

It wasn't that long ago that a young Roy Williams walked into Allen Field House and asked the student body to refrain from yelling "Ahole" when players from the opposing basketball team made their free throws. This was a "chant" that was previously allowed under the coaching regime of the 1988 National Champions' coach Larry Brown. I was a student at the University of Kansas when this request was made by Coach Williams, and the students listened. The students respected the reputation of our University and we respected the voice of our new head coach. Now don't get me wrong, it was a lot of fun screaming "Ahole" as our free throw chant, but after successfully proving my ability to exercise my First Amendment rights, which I had just rehashed in History 101, it seemed the time was right to start a new tradition and conduct myself with the class our program, and our University deserved.Why should this be any different?I will admit that while I'm at the game, caught up in the moment of pure hatred for the opponent and a lingering buzz from the hours of pre-game festivities, I've joined in with the chant:and I've done it from my seat on the WEST side of the stadium! However, while watching replays of the game on TV and hearing the chant, I don't like it and I think it makes us look as classless as our hillbilly neighbors across the boarder. The students will need to decide for themselves when the time is right for this chant to end and it's going to take more than a newspaper ad or a Jayhawk Nation-wide vote to evoke this change. If Coach is asking for it to stop, then I think it should stop. So Coach isn't a glowing role model in this area, who cares? The man has built our long and weary program into a nationally ranked, Orange Bowl Championship program, not to mention his Coach of the Year honors. Don't you think it's time we exhibit the class that the University deserves? We've proven our point; now let's force the media to get back to reporting about KU Football rather than turning our creative use of the F word into national gossip.Hey HondaFoo,"Rock his Chalking Head Off" does have a nice feel to it:..still gets to be yelled in the same riff as the current chat, it incorporates Rock Chalk, and it's definitely unique to the University of Kansas.

Rick Arnoldy 6 years, 1 month ago

What a sad commentary on the state of our community that those who insist on the chant just don't get it. You have no clue as to the history of KU. Those who think that the success of the team has to do with the chant have to be the most ignorant, self-absorbed people to have ever attended the University. You write it off as being rebellious college kids yet in your own words compare yourselves to five year olds on the playground. Is that really how low you have set the standards for yourself?Your actions reflect on the Kansas community as a whole which means the rest of us have to keep apologizing for your behavior. You think it has no effect? Then why are ESPN and Fox Sports bringing it up on their TV and radio shows? Are you so naive that you don't thing recruits and their parents aren't taking notice? Are you so naive that you don't think the major donors who make the facilities competitive to recruit the best athletes and coaches in the first place notice? You're not an asset to the University, you are a liability and an embarrassment. The sad part is you take narcissistic satisfaction in the attention you have been gathering. Hopefully, you will one day realize the embarrassment you have drawn to an otherwise respected community. Hopefully, that epiphany won't be too late. Right now, you are not Jayhawks.

rockchalkAZ 6 years, 1 month ago

100 6 years, 1 month ago

The cat's out of the bag:1. KGphoto2. live4h2o3. rockchalkAZ4. mace221Are all Missouri fans who've been posing for quite sometime as Jayhawks. I can see why you guys would be so upset after losing 2 weeks in a row. Remember last year? You said, "big deal, KU isn't that good, you just beat OSU on the road, anybody could do that..." Well, I think we can all see why your really mad, sure. You guys got pounded at home by OSU. It makes complete sense. But come on, the Texas game? You were supposed to lose that one -- don't let it get you too upset...So, new topic, we'll get away from your losses... I guess posting a bunch of crud on this website makes you Tiger fans feel better?

100 6 years, 1 month ago

1. Has Mangino ever said anything about ripping anyone's head off?2. Any of you saying this chant -- have any of you been to Iraq? How about Afghanistan? Are you aware we have REAL Americans who actually do have to deal with this issue (that you find so funny) on a daily basis? Are you aware some Americans actually have lost their heads in these conflicts?C'mon, we have more class than this.We are Kansas. The Free State. Let Missouri be themselves. We don't need to go there, especially while the "conflict" (war) is still going on.

live4h2o 6 years, 1 month ago

And don't forget the french. Many a frenchman has lost his head to the guillotine....