Monday, October 20, 2008

Recruit had blast at Late Night

California guard Snaer down to 5 schools

Michael Snaer

Michael Snaer

photo

Kansas University basketball recruits, from left, Dominic Cheek, Elijah Johnson, Michael Snaer and Xavier Henry take in the action at the 2008 Late Night in the Phog in Allen Fieldhouse.

Michael Snaer figures he picked the best possible weekend to make an official recruiting trip to Kansas University.

That is, the start of college basketball season.

"Oh, man ... Late Night (in the Phog) was something else. It was totally different from anything I've seen before. It was all new to me. I took it all in," Snaer, Rivals.com's No. 11-rated prospect nationally, said Sunday upon returning to his hometown of Moreno Valley, Calif.

"Everybody was nice to me. The fans cheered a lot. They were super loud for the team," added Snaer, a 6-foot-4, 185-pound shooting guard out of Rancho Verde High.

"I don't know if it will be soon or later," Snaer said. "Whenever I feel it is right."

He said there's still a possibility he'll take an unofficial visit to another university, not naming that school.

"I liked it a lot," Snaer said of KU, adding, "all of them are equal right now."

KU, as previously reported, received an oral commitment Saturday from Elijah Johnson, a 6-2 point guard from Cheyenne High in Las Vegas. The other two seniors who attended Late Night were: Xavier Henry, 6-6 from Putnam City (Okla.) High; and Dominic Cheek, 6-5 from St. Anthony High in Jersey City, N.J.

"He's keeping it a mystery," Johnson said of Henry, the No. 3-rated player in the country who is down to KU and Memphis.

"He is keeping it to himself," noted Snaer. "I didn't ask him what he was going to do."

Cheek, meanwhile, returned to the East Coast on Sunday, also in no hurry to pick. Cheek will visit Villanova Oct. 24, Pittsburgh Oct. 31, Indiana on Nov. 7 and Memphis on Nov. 14, St. Anthony assistant coach Ben Gamble told Rivals.com.

"Dominic had a great time during his visit to Kansas. One thing he said to me is how much Tyshawn Taylor has improved as a player," Gamble said, referring to Cheek's former prep teammate. "Dominic said Tyshawn is very happy at Kansas."

Comments

emphawker 10 years, 11 months ago

I've been thinking... Has anyone else noticed that there is a 6'10" russian center on the ku recruiting list on rivals? His name is Kyryl Natyazhko. Kinda sounds like a dark horse to me. If Self decides that he needs another true center type, this guy may get a look. It sounds perfect to me since we lost Kaun.

kvskubball 10 years, 11 months ago

hawkitup,You are quite right, I shouldn't have used your name in my post. I apologize, you were not one of those who was on his case, you only said you had a bad feeling.mea culpa

kvskubball 10 years, 11 months ago

Many people have been asking: If all of the recruits liked KU so much, why haven't they committed already?Well in a post to the EJ article,lee3022 wrote:Coach Self is honest with these guys and likely tells them "you are in my top priority group" but not many get offered a no-conditions offer. Most likely Orton, for example, was told if another player did not come to KU he would. When Robinson committed, clearly Coach Self called Orton and told him the higher post player has committed and Orton is free to take his next choice (Kentucky). I've been wondering about this and it might make the current recruiting situation a little clearer. These are all my thoughts. Sorry guys, I don't have any insider information, just conjecture! But here goes.Here's my take on what may have transpired...Three, maybe four athletes may have been given 'unconditional' offers. My guess would be that the following were given unconditionals:John Wall ?Xavier HenryThomas RobinsonElijah JohnsonWith Coach believing he could make room if all four committed. At the same time, everyone else is told that KU was definitely interested, pending other developments.I would further guess that some kind of date is attached to the unconditional. For instance the first day of the early signing period. With Coach telling the unconditionals, Hey I love you and really want you to come to KU, no-strings, but it's the real world, I can't wait forever.Maybe that is why none of the others that profess to love KU have committed, or maybe I'm just an anal-retentive-over-analyzing KU fan! :)

brooksmd 10 years, 11 months ago

"Henry, who has visited Memphis, is expected to announce in the coming days or weeks in some sort of ceremony on one of ESPN's channels." --- This kid would probably be great to have, and I don't want to be a wet blanket, but do we really need a one and doner that is this full of himself? I would rather Snaer and/or Cheek. It's spelled "T-E-A-M". Notice there is no "I".

hawkitup 10 years, 11 months ago

kvskubball...dude you need to take a chill pill. I'm not all over Henry's back for not making a decision. I was simply stating that it seemed weird to me that he didn't make a comment about Late Night (or at least I hadn't heard anything yet...perhaps he has but I've missed it). Again, I was merely stating what I thought and said I didn't have a good feeling about it. I could be completely off base but I'm just sayin'. You said the decision is hard, but I disagree with you. To me, its an easy choice. If I've loved a team since growing up and they offered me a scholarship to play for them and I had the chance to seriously play for them...why would I not choose them?

jaybate 10 years, 11 months ago

Imagine trying to defend this bunch of players in 100 point take what they give us. These guys are ALL LONG AND STRONG ENOUGH to defend every square inch of the wood for a WHOLE game! Opponents just wouldn't wilt. They would vaporize. They wouldn't just cave in. They would go over the event horizon and into a black hole. Deny the paint to us? Imagine Henry and Cheek and Marcus shooting threes for 40 minutes, while Cole and Markieff take turns cramming down the few that don't drop. Take away the perimeter? Sure, let us pound it inside with FIVE bigs better than ANY of your thee or four. Take away the run and try to play thug ball? Hey Butcher Barnes, Huggo-muggo, and JThomp Ver.2.0, wanna bang with 1200 plus pounds of hydra-headed Hawkusgianticus with 25 fouls to give called ColeQuinThomMarMar for 40 minutes? Which row of seats do you want to wind up in? Want your noses broken once or twice before half? Dare to run with us? Oh, yeah, that'll work. You're bigs will still be blocking out on the defensive end as we spider backboards on the far end of the court. Your Budget Rent a Car guards are going to get whip lash craning their necks, as our whole fleet of Veyrons releases down the Bonneville Salt Flats of your court and breaks the land speed record, the speed of sound and the backboard with thunder dunks and lightening jams. You think our guys are only going to bounce the ball off the board once for a team mate to grab and bury the bone in your heads? Whyt they'll bounce the Wilson off the glass once, twice, three times to trailer after trailer and then bring down the whole backboard with a deuterium slam...just for starters.This team I am imagining; this team is possible.Heck, its not possible. Its now probable.This is not a perfect storm forming.THIS IS A PERFECT PHOG FORMING!Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Gooooo, Kaaay Uuuuuuu...Super class, super class, super class, super class, super class super class, Super class, super class, super class, super class, super class super class,Super class, super class, super class, super class, super class super class...BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!

mbmerriman 10 years, 11 months ago

jaybate,your excitement is warrented, i cant wait for november!

100 10 years, 11 months ago

some KU fan did a sweet job catching the Jayhawks in the NBA that was shown at Late Night. It's on you tube. This concept is something we had discussed weeks ago, I'm glad they ran with it. Editing staff did a great job. Liked Pierce clutching that NBA finals MVP trophy. Should have had Vaughn, Pollard, Simien showing off their NBA champion rings too (not to mention ex KU coaches Larry Brown and Greg Popovich). OK, then, the video was only 99% perfect: Also should have had Chalmers clutching his NCAA MVP finals trophy too. My biggest critique is the editing staff should have dramacized Pierce in the finals, getting knocked to the floor by Kobe (OK they bumped knees), in pain on his back, carried off by teammates, limping back onto the court to the Rocky themesong, only to nail 3 after 3 after 3. Then show him clutching the MVP trophy.But overall a great job by the editing staff and the crowd. Also loved how after it was shown, the you tube cameraman pans down, directly at Henry.

actorman 10 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the link, Lebowski. It sounds like Xavier is a great kid in addition to being a great player, and that he would be a perfect fit for the kind of family atmosphere that Self likes to cultivate. Man, I can't wait for him to decide!

Joe Ross 10 years, 11 months ago

Lebowski, re:"...the reason I didn't want John Wall came to fruition. He's looking at there being another PG here as a bad thing, rather than compete for time and lose some minutes here and there."Simply, genius!

kvskubball 10 years, 11 months ago

hawkitup and other doubters,Let's look at this from Xavier's perspective (As much as anyone who is NOT X can try to do that!!!)His dad and mom played at KU.Paper-Clip was an Asst. Coach at KU while X's father played at KU.KU has great tradition.Memphis has Snake-Oil-Salesman Calipari.Papa Henry has a good relationship with Coach Cal.Bro Carl is at Memphis.X has liked KU since he was a kid. Certainly knows the KU tradition and family connexxions.Now imagine you are an 18 year old, trying to make one of the most important decisions of your young life. Most young people have trouble deciding what to wear or eat. Now try to factor in all of the good vibes X has for both Memphis and KU. I ask you, is it any wonder that the young man is undecided?If he didn't honor the KU tradition, he would have already committed to play where his brother is. I think that the fact that he likes KU and respects his parents' connection to KU has to make this a ball-breaker of a choice for him. So I would ask all those who are pre-judging him to GET OFF HIS CASE! If I had this choice 30 years ago, I'd probably still be undecided. How about you guys who are giving him grief? Does this sound like an easy choice? It doesn't to me.

flipborder02 10 years, 11 months ago

Questions for anybody does any of you know of a website called The shiver and how reliable it might be?

cklarock 10 years, 11 months ago

@emphawker: I agree. I noticed that a lot of the folks leaving were families with little kids, and maybe it was just too late for them. My other thought was that some people had come out primarily for the hanging of the banner. Even still, the scrimmage is what it's all about. It's going to be a fun year!

Joe Ross 10 years, 11 months ago

The following is the latest entry on theshiver.com:"Latest Prediction for RecruitingI post this with some reservations, but I feel like we owe it to our readers to at least come out with a prediction. We have been hearing from multiple sources that Xavier Henry is going to Memphis, but is that indeed the case?Based on the current information that I have, it looks like Henry will become a Jayhawk. Considering how crazy Henry's recruitment has been over the last few months, I wouldn't be surprised if this is not the case. If he does indeed land in Memphis, it won't be a total surprise. Just wanted to pass along the strong buzz about X to KU that is happening right now.CamachoThis entry was written by admin, posted on October 20, 2008 at 12:18 pm, filed under College Basketball, Kansas Basketball Recruiting, Michael Snaer, Xavier Henry. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL. » College Basketball Top 25: SHIVER Style"

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 10 years, 11 months ago

"Henry... is expected to announce in the coming days or weeks in some sort of ceremony on one of ESPN's channels." :-/

Timmay97 10 years, 11 months ago

Put the KU hat on Xavier....you'll be glad you did!!! It would just be the icing on the cake. If KU gels this year with their young guys, I can see National Championship #2 in the Bill Self era.Great job at Late Night Jayhawk fans. Place was ROCKIN'!!!

emphawker 10 years, 11 months ago

I wish that people would stay throughout the scrimmage.I don't understand why you would even come to late night if you have no desire to watch the scrimmage! That just seems crazy to me.

100 10 years, 11 months ago

Great points, justanotherfan. The cars are there this year, next, and it looks like, for years to come. As for the mysterious wing that will be the Back to the Future car, I guess it comes down to if Henry wants to win a national championship before he goes to the NBA or not.

jaybate 10 years, 11 months ago

mbmerriman,You are totally correct, mb. I am very excited. Too excited? Maybe. But not dishonest. It is what I think. I mean no disrespect to last years team. Let me recalibrate your lack of respect sensor back to a true reading.Last year's team was the best defensive team in the history of college basketball.Relative to the competition it played, last year's team held the biggest margin of strategic superiority over the competition of any KU national champion, but perhaps the '52 Lovellette team; that's my way of saying they were one heck of a great team. They brought their B-game to the national finals and won against a very good Memphis team.I believe, in a rank of each KU team against the other, and imagining them playing each other in a fantasy hoops league independent of time, it was probably the best KU team ever.Now, back to your doubts about my forecast for the season following this one.I am forecasting entirely off talent amassing as we write. I am not pretending to know who will be injured, and when, who will leave disgruntled, and when, and who will grow up to be men, and who will not. Who could have forecast that Giddens, Padgett, Giles and Michah Downs could wash out, BRush would blow a knee and stay three years, Chalmers would wind up a short 2 guard, Collins would, playing on a leg and a half agree not to start and still be good enough to be our sparkplug, that DBlock would overcome several deaths and a gift scandal to become our spiritual leader, that Arthur would sleep walk through most of his games, that Kaun would regain his composure after having completely lost all his confidence mid point in his senior year, and that with all of the preceeding, KU would still win it all? I can only talk about what is coming together for the future, as I watch it, and there appears to be even more talent accumulating than this last staggering array of players that Self assembled, which was, in my opinion, KU's most talented team to date.I am just about as critical as anyone when the games start and we assess performances. But before the first tip off? That's my time to get pumped.I'm pumped.And I believe there is a certain karma to recruiting. I am trying to contribute positively to ours. :-)

jaybate 10 years, 11 months ago

After the signing of Elijah Johnson, Jayhawk nation needs to realize: if KU lands even one of Henry, Wall, Cheek, Snaer, and Stephenson, we are a top 5 team.Mature this year's team, subtract for Sherronatron going pro, add Thomas Robinson, EJ, and any one of the above and we are talking a team prepared with the weapons to meet the weapons that they meet (apologies T.S. Eliot).Add any two of the above, and we are favorites to win it all.This is a perfect storm of great basketball players brewing for next year and the following year.And remember, no matter which players come, and if its one, or two more that get added for next year, Tyshaun Taylor, who is already here, is going to be a major player...if he stays two years.Self HAS to be almost wetting his pants.I AM wetting mine. I know, I know, TMI. :-OBut imagine the defensive pressure a perimeter with any combination of these guys could put on!And on offense, everyone of them are scoring threats from almost anywhere on the floor!The KU scheme will have to be changed from 70 point take what they give us to 80, or 90, oh, heck, make it 100 point take what they give us. This team has more fire power than a Marine Division. It has more mobility than a Seal Team. It has more nuclear throw weight than US Space Command.(Pardon me while I jump and down at my keyboard!)

stravinsky 10 years, 11 months ago

"Snaer, who also has been to Missouri, Florida State, Marquette and UCLA, now will digest what he has seen at all five places and choose a destination in the coming days or weeks." Hmm, lets think about this one. Mizzou, Florida State, Marquette, UCLA, or... KU? Pretty easy decision, not even considering bias. UCLA and KU are the only two of those I would even consider, and KU definitely has more upside, other than pure minutes.

jchief40 10 years, 11 months ago

Nope nope I don't think so anymore. Nuh uh. He's not coming anymore. Henry is NOT coming. I knew it I just was confused before!

Gil Ek 10 years, 11 months ago

As this new team matures and gains confidence, think they could become very competitive. Think Cole will stay another year or two with the potential this crew could have next year. This year should be fun to watch develope.

mbmerriman 10 years, 11 months ago

i dont think sherron will go pro, he hasnt proven that he can carry a team, he has played the last two years with 4 nba players and 6 pro players. He has been very inconsistent his first two years and is very undersized. He has been immortalized by his performance in the title game and we will never forget it but that doesnt mean he is a lottery pick

jchief40 10 years, 11 months ago

Tyrel Reed, Smyrel Shmeed. See my eyes batting? HMMM? hehe I kid, I kid. But it will suck though for the poor lil fella. I'm sure he could score 26 in a game - just that Collins would score 30...

soapboxstew 10 years, 11 months ago

I've been paying close attention to X's recruitment for 3 years now. That was the year (X's freshman year) that KU offered him a scholly. Memphis didn't offer him one till the end of his Junior year.I have a subscription to scouthoops.com (phog.net for Kansas specific information), and rivals.com.I have seen nothing that would indicate that Calipari has been that close with X over the years. You say: "He coached his dad". Cal's first year as a student manager ('82) was Henry's last year as a Jayhawk. NO WAY they developed a very close relationship in that one year (that withstood being the length of the country apart as Henry was in Sacramento & Cal was @ U-Mass). When X was a boy & going to KU games & wearing KU gear, Cal was @ U-Mass paying players and giving them academic breaks. He then coached the Nets from '97 to '99, and coached under Larry Brown w/ the 76ers in '00 before taking over @ Memphis. It took him 4 or 5 seasons to become a National Power. Memphis was not even on X's radar as an existing school 'till then. So your "long term relationship" with Cal holds no water. You want to talk "long term" relationship? How 'bout both of X's parents went to and met at KU (just like mine). How 'bout having Jayhawks in the crib (I don't mean the house, I mean the baby crib). How 'bout cheering for KU his whole life. That is a "long term relationship".Don't forget that Bill Self is from the same state as Henry (Cal is from Pittsburgh, PA).One other thing that I have noticed from X (in my paying attention to his recruiting), is the kind of person he seems to be. The interviews that I have seen blow me away. He uses "sir", "thank you", and "please" when talking to these nobodys from scouting services. He seems humble, respectful, and genuine. His father has instilled that kind of character in him. I believe that aspect of him belongs more in Kansas than in Memphis.Regarding X's brother going to Memphis: They are 5 years apart, they didn't even go to HS together. They aren't so close as "wherever they go, they go together". Besides, CJ committed to KU out of HS. The only reason he is not @ KU now is because he wouldn't get much tic. I would not be surprised if Bill Self told him as much. He said "it was the hardest call he had to make" about not going to KU.Make no mistake about it, WE WANT X. He is a better, left-handed version of Rush. With him we are a top 5 (if not #1 overall) to start the season in 2009-10. Without him we won't be as good. Period. He is the difference between very good and great.(I say we want Stephenson if we don't get X)Lastly-I believe that Wall will go to Memphis now. That is great news for KU in getting X. I never saw those 2 on the same team (even here @ KU).

justanotherfan 10 years, 11 months ago

I think Self only moves on another big guy if it becomes apparent that Cole is going to jump to the League - an outside possibility right now. If during the season that starts to look like a probability, we will probably take on a "project" big guy like Natyazhko. Otherwise, another big really doesn't fit into our rotation.

mbmerriman 10 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate,I think youre getting just a little excited when we havent even seen these guys play yet and we dont even know who our last recruit will be. To compare these high school seniors and college freshmen to the 2008 Kansas Jayhawk Natl. Championship team is kind of disrespectful to them isnt it? You're saying these unproven big name recruits are better than the greatest team in KU basketball history? You're just a little excited

100 10 years, 11 months ago

jchief40: you are obviously a Memphis fan, posing earlier as a Jayhawk. Sorry you don't like Henry. We do. He'll be a great college player and a great pro, with great character. Why not go bother people on Tiger message boards?

100 10 years, 11 months ago

basketball aside, Henry's personality and character is a perfect fit for KU. He's a great kid, with a truthful heart. He's so much like his dad it's scary.

William Cormode 10 years, 11 months ago

I left as the scrimmage started because I have young kids and it was late. I came for the video and the banner hanging. The scrimmage is always boring. If you think that that is why people come for late night then you have another thing coming. When is it the loudest? The video, every year. I have stayed for the scrimmage in the past and there is always just a spattering of cheer. Everyone is bored.

CBaller13 10 years, 11 months ago

ya I saw this - I think X. Henry is 50/50. We need to let him make his decision and accept whomever he chooses. He sounds like a great player and a great guy. Hopefully he's a Jayhawk but if not, good luck to him.

jasonsgill 10 years, 11 months ago

@ Cballer-I find it difficult to imagine BS putting in Sherron, Tyrel, and Tyshawn in the same starting lineup beyond the first few weeks of the season (if that). NONE of those three are capable of playing SF, and unless alot has changed from this summer, I don't think Tyrel is strong enough on D for him to guard either the 2 or the 3 to the level of Self's liking. That said, he may start at the 2 with Tyshawn as the first guard off the bench. But I almost guarantee that either Releford of Little is the starting 3 this year. Last year a very similar thing happened where Tyrel started the season with alot of minutes but lost playing time as he was exposed on D. I hope he's better now, but D is a tough thing to improve as an individual.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 11 months ago

Very few people left before the last few minutes of scrimmage.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 11 months ago

Getting Snaer or Cheek would be awesome. But I still prefer Xavier. Even if he is one and done, he is so gifted that he could provide the Hawks with the elite scorer that could get us another championsip next year. With the team Self has rebuilt, next year's squad could be the most talented one KU has ever put on the court.

hawkitup 10 years, 11 months ago

I haven't heard anything about what Henry thought of Late Night. Is it just me or does the silence not sound too good? Perhaps I am reading too much into it and prehaps he's got nothing to say since he's already been here before...but I just have a bad feeling.

jchief40 10 years, 11 months ago

Wow let's hope that Shiver prediction goes our way. But as I said earlier, I don't see how he could pass up KU now. He saw the banner, heard Self's awesome speech he gave the guys before the Champoinship, and.. I just was fighting back tears watching that little screen on my laptop on Friday.. yikes! Don't know why - I am just a fan. But man!!!! I couldn't help it. Henry you can't pass up on us. You felt it too - common.

CBaller13 10 years, 11 months ago

good site. they reported elijah johnson signing before kusports did.

jchief40 10 years, 11 months ago

"He uses "sir", "thank you", and "please" when talking to these nobodys from scouting services. He seems humble, respectful, and genuine. His father has instilled that kind of character in him" says that one dude. Yeah he's cocky. Cocky! Behind that fake azz smile of his. When X Dips Snaer Commits!

Eliott Reeder 10 years, 11 months ago

Actually, I'd say about 60% of the people left before the scrimmage was over. It was my first late night. It was awesome, but I was certainly surprised by that. Did those people come to see the Orlando Magic fuzzy dunk-a-saurus or the Hawks play some B-Ball? Anyways, I think we will exceed the expectations of the national media with our team this year. Tyshawn looked fantastic, the kid was jumping out of the gym. Sherron seemed a little stiff, I just pray he gets fully healthy and stays that way throughout the season...

CBaller13 10 years, 11 months ago

Jasonsgill - when b rush was hurt we ran russ rob sherron and mario out there and it worked - sherron tyrel and tyshawn would be very similar - you put tyrel on the opposing teams worst 1 2 or 3. If the other team is bigger then bring in little or releford. I just think those three are our three best.

jchief40 10 years, 11 months ago

For some reason I am disagreeing with 'mbmerriman' in that Sherron is Gone if he has the season we all know he can have, including the media/ESPN and Self himself. Most expect Collins to have a breakout year as Self says he should have, then he's gone IMHO. Personally, I'd call it less of a breakout year and more of letting Sherron light up the scoreboard for a prolonged period of time this year. No surprise his numbers would stand out; certainly not a breakout. He is just a bad mutha when he's healthy. At the least you could agree that if he stays HEALTHY he is a g-o-n-e-r. ? Has X committed yet? ;)

CBaller13 10 years, 11 months ago

Here is my revised - post scrimmage - lineup assessment:g - Sherron, Appleton backupg - Tyrel Reed, Tyshawn Taylor backupg - Tyshawn Taylor, Travis Releford backup, Mario Little backupf - Markieff, Marcus backup, Quintrell backupf - Cole, Markieff backupI think Sherron, Tyrel, Tyshawn, Markieff/Marcus (can't tell yet) and Cole are our best 5 players. I think Little and Markieff/Marcus are a close 6 and 7. I also think Releford and Appleton will see their time and could be starters. But I think when it comes down to it; Sherron, Tyrel, Tyshawn, Markieff/Marcus and Cole will be on the floor and if we are playing a bigger team - sub Little in for Tyrel or Tyshawn.I think we have the potential the 2005-2006 team had BUT I think we will actually do better and not start off so poorly because Sherron and Cole are here experienced to help start the season. Whatever we do, I'm pumped. Another thing, let's say Marcus and Markieff perform real well this year - if one goes pro, both go pro and I'm sure Self knows this when he overrecruits. Right now I'd rank early departures like this:1. Sherron2. Cole3. Tyshawn4. Markieff/Marcus5. Markieff/MarcusI don't think we have to worry much beyond those 5. I also don't think all 5 or even more than 1 will go pro, but if we do overachieve, Someone more than Sherron could go pro.

CBaller13 10 years, 11 months ago

no one gives Tyrel Reed any fred - mark my words he will start

ku98 10 years, 11 months ago

CBaller, I have gotten to read your posts over the last few days, and I respect your opinion, but I have to disagree with you about Tyrel. He won't start unless Sherron or Tyshawn get hurt. I see Tyrel as part of an 8-men rotation, but not a starter. Sherron, Tyshawn, and Little are ahead of him in the depth chart, perhaps even Releford. Also, I don't know why everyone here is so high on Sherron going pro. Will he leave early? Perhaps. Will he make an NBA roster? Not unless he really improves his PG skills. He is strong, explosive (used to be) and can shoot pretty well, but he reminds me an awful lot of his fellow Crane High alum Will Bynum (ex-Arizona and GTech), i.e. too small and without a true PG mentality. At best, he will play a few games in the NBA, and will go to Europe for more $$, just like Bynum. Don't get me wrong, I like Sherron and will forever be thankful for what he did last year, but I don't think he is NBA material.

melrank 10 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate - you're funny. I haven't laughed at one of your posts that much since the "X-Files" references.PS - no connection to X Henry.

blackmild33 10 years, 11 months ago

i think that ku will be just fine with other one we get

justanotherfan 10 years, 11 months ago

jaybate,I like your enthusiasm. Allow me to observe.In the garage RIGHT NOW 08-09Sherron, Tyshawn, Travis, Tyrone, Mario Little, The Morris twins, Cole, Quintrell. That's nine guys. Sherron is quicker than quick. Tyshawn, Travis, Mario, Tyrone, the Morris' and Quintrell all fit that long, lean mold. They have little experience, but we already have quite a few sportscars in the garage. Cole is the Hummer of the group, not a 0-60 in 2.2 seconds, but you can take him out on the town and clear some space (and look good doing it). Sherron is the motorcycle that you take out when you want to get from place to place in LA rush hour traffic. And then we have a garage of Corvettes, Ferraris, Porsches and Jags. Next year, we bring in another pair of lean sportscars. Granted, we probably don't have our motorcycle to zip in and out of traffic, but we add two more Ferraris (Elijah Johnson and Athletic Wing Player To Be Named Later) and another Porsche (Thomas Robinson). We ALREADY have the horsepower to do what you have talked about THIS YEAR. We add even more horsepower NEXT YEAR regardless of which of the four wings (Henry, Stephenson, Snaer, Cheek) we add. I will now allow you to jump up and down on your keyboard in sheer delerium. Enjoy.Does this make them better than last year's squad? No. Only results can make them equal to last year's team. But if you think I haven't pondered having Elijah Johnson elevate and cram on some unsuspecting Tiger, Buffalo or Sooner, or dreamt of watching Thomas Robinson spin baseline and catch a picturesque lob from Tyshawn Taylor and quiet Hilton Auditorium, or imagined Travis Releford and Mario Little filling the fast break lanes for Sherron in a three on two, you are kidding yourself. This is basketball. It's supposed to be fun.

WeAreTheChamps 10 years, 11 months ago

Does anyone know if there's a way the videos shown at Late Night can be downloaded on the internet? It doesn't even have to be downloadable really I just want to watch the Dream On video again!!! I tried Youtube but only the last part is on there. Anyone know?

justanotherfan 10 years, 11 months ago

Tyrel Reed is unlikely to start. Let's examine our lineup.Sherron and Cole are locks. At least one of the Morris' starts. So that leaves two spots. One of those spots will go to one of our taller wing guys (Releford or Little). That leaves Tyrel battling Appleton and Taylor for the final starting spot. Taylor has been our most impressive newcomer to this point. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't start. With Appleton and Little nursing injuries, Reed may get some early season burn, much like last year, but by the time Big XII play rolls around, it's doubtful Tyrel will shed his warmups very much. The rotation is likely to be:Perimeter - Collins, Taylor, Releford, Appleton (when healthy), Little (if no foul trouble)Post - Aldrich, Marc. Morris, Mark. Morris, Thomas, Little (if there is foul trouble).That's a nine man rotation. Reed is man #10.

CBaller13 10 years, 11 months ago

ku98 - If Nate Robinson can make it in the pros, Sherron definately can, he's the same player but 4 inches taller. The problem I have with the Bynum comparison is that Sherron can shoot the ball better, is more athletic, is stronger, and plays better defense. Durability is a question but if he makes it through this year I think he can definately go pro - the guy is so explosive. Plus I'm sure he wants to go pro ASAP because he has a kid to support.Regarding the starting 5: Everyone overlooks the fact that Tyrel is probably our 2nd or 3rd best scoring option. He is going to start and if for some reason he doesnt start - I think he plays significant minutes a la Sherron last year. Releford is nowhere near as good as Tyrel right now. Appleton I haven't seen but I have to assume Tyrel is a better 2guard option. Little looks good but I still give the nod to Tyrel unless we are playing bigger.If Rush didn't hurt his knee and left like he planned our starters last year would have been RussRob, Sherron, Mario, Darrell and Darnell - that's three g's 6'3" and under, the same thing I propose. I see absolutely no problem inserting Tyrel for Russel and Tyshawn for Mario. I know it's a smaller lineup but Cole eats up a lot of space inside and with Markieff or Marcus playing the 4 I think we will be big enough and very fast and versatile. I'm not contesting the fact that if we play a team with a 6'7 SF that our three guards won't be out there as much, I just think from what I've seen, Tyrel is going to start because he is a top 5 player on this team along with Tyshawn and Sherron. Little will see significant time at the 3rd guard spot I just don't think he's better than Tyrel. In our system, we have three guards and two forwards. Sometimes that third guard is big, sometimes he isn't. Whatever happens, I'm pumped and excited to see what happens - I just don't understand the lack of love for Tyrel who by the way was the 59th best player in the class of 2007: http://home.nc.rr.com/rsci/RSCI_100_Final_2007.htm

jchief40 10 years, 11 months ago

@ 100 - I don't like Memphis. I am a KU fan through and through. It's just half of me thinks Henry is coming here. The better half tells me this dude is just having fun with all the attention and really doesn't respect the KU tradition. I have seen some of his interviews. Comments like "they just say that because my parents went there" and other parahrased comments to the effect of 'Kansas is not the best thing since sliced bread' . Which I happen to disagree with mister.

CBaller13 10 years, 11 months ago

haha I know, I'm saying he can do that -- because he's nasty. Regarding Will Bynum, I don't think he's as good of a finisher or as explosive. He also can't shoot like Sherron and plays smaller. Sherron is bull like and loves contact. Bynum just jumps out of the gym.

ku98 10 years, 11 months ago

CBaller, we will just have to wait and see about Tyrel. Like you, I am excited about the season no matter what.Now, on to my fellow Chicagoans Bynum and Collins... Sherron has lost some of the explosiveness he had in high school (injuries), but Bynum was and still is more explosive... Take a look at what he is doing now in the Euroleague:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_H6l-... this one:http://www.blinkx.com/video/will-bynum-sickk-dunk/Dgy41hBBx5UJCTK2oS1Z3QYou make a good point with Nate Robinson though... I will give you that. I can't stand that dude, by the way.

CBaller13 10 years, 11 months ago

He's good and it looks like he's gotten better since his GTech days. I'm just saying I think Sherron is stronger and more explosive. Also, Sherron elevates a lot more on his jumpers. Time will tell - I just relate Sherron more to Nate Robinson than Will Bynum because I think he's more of a scorer than sick athlete. Maybe Bynum should be in the league.

jaybate 10 years, 11 months ago

justanotherfan,Flippin' the paddles in the Porsche.Floorin' the gas in the Gallardo.Go, mahn, go!!!!

jasonsgill 10 years, 11 months ago

Re: Tyrel.I absolutely agree that at this point Tyrel is a top flight scorer (although #2 might be stretching it with Marcus Morris and Little on the team). The problem is that we run a spread em out run and gun transition offense as first option with a high-low half court game second(I know this is not really insightful), where we are going to get our points. Tyrel's problem is that he is just not a very good defender. Period. I mean the guy just plain lacks the lateral quickness to stay in front of top guards. I agree that we could put him on the worst of the other teams 1, 2 or 3. But good teams would exploit that matchup every time. You really believe it would be better to start three guys under 6'2 with two 6'5 SFs on the bench? I think he will get minutes, but strategically, IMhumbleO, it is much better to go into a game dictating match-ups as would be the case if either Mario or Travis were starting at 3, than playing playing a lineup that has a rather glaring weakness. If we learned anything last hear, it's that BS does not value offense more than balance.Having said ALL that I think he may be a better pure 2 than Taylor, and if anything that's where he would start with Tyshawn as the first guard off the bench.

ku98 10 years, 11 months ago

CBall, you crack me up. You have to take 3 minutes and watch this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXqEh0... can't imagine you would persist in saying that Bynum is less explosive, not as good a finisher, plays smaller, and does not like contact like Sherron...By the way, the dude getting blocked 2'31" into it is our own Aaron Miles, playing for Pau Orthez in Euroleague.Come on, CBall, give WB his props.

CBaller13 10 years, 11 months ago

I agree for the most part - but you say if he starts that all three guards are 6'2" and under. This isn't true, not only is Tyshawn Taylor 6'3", the guy can jump out of the gym. He can check most 3's we will face. And WHEN we play teams with tall 3's ala CDR last year, then you bring in Little or Releford(whoever is better). I think you make good points I just need to see Little and Releford do more to justify going away from Sherron, Tyrel and Tyshawn at the three g's to at least start the games. We will see though - it's kind of interesting because after the recruiting period I think everyone was betting on Releford or Little being a lock at the 3rd g position and one of the two being the sleeper of our class but it turns out Tyshawn is - meaning we might have to go short.

CBaller13 10 years, 11 months ago

Also - when I say he's the second or third best scoring option I look at it like this:Sherron is clearly the best. Depending on Markieff and Marcus, one of those two or both could be 2nd or 2nd and 3rd. Tyshawn could also be 2nd or 3rd. But my gut tells me Tyrel is going to be the 2nd or 3rd scoring option because the guy can flat out shoot the ball. He's a better shooter than Sherron and if there is anything we are lacking this year that we had last year - it's three point shooting (BRush and Chalmers). I'm not saying Sherron can't shoot, I just think if he has Tyrel to drive and kick to, we can be very effective. I also really need to see Appleton play.

jasonsgill 10 years, 11 months ago

CB-Right, I'm not even considering Appleton in this discussion, he's a black box as far as my knowledge goes.I think the thing about Tyrel is this: you can say all you want about how much of a better shooter he is than Sherron, but Sherron now has two years in a row of high level college ball where he has shot the trey@ 40 and 36% (Fr and So yrs) to say nothing about his clutch shooting. Now, however good Tyrel may be, it is very problematic to project him as doing better than that in his first year of full rotation time. Playing in scrimmages and the like is a very different story than hitting those shots in high stakes games.Now, not to dis Tyrel (who I would LOVE to see hit that 40% mark w/ significant minutes), but Little has just come of being the full time go to guy on the best JUCO team in the country and he hit a fairly high %, 35-40 if memory serves. And, something I think is very under appreciated, he can play in the post. I mean he was playing the 4 before the twins got here. When you talk about dictating the game, that means your 3 can post up smaller matchups and play on the outside against slower guys. As much as I like Tyshawn and Tyrel, this is not something they can even hope to do this year. That post game comes with time and a minimum of size (I may be going too far there).With either Tyrel or Tyshawn coming off the bench at 1 or 2 you have a great change of pace, with shooting or pure speed. And with Travis being a first option at 3 or a 2nd at guard you can overwhelm with size and defense. This is my prediction as to how the 123 will play out. As for 45 I haven't seen the bigs outside of Cole, so I have no Idea.The above is a great problem to have to sort through .

melrank 10 years, 11 months ago

jason - your patience with this conversation is amazing - congratulations. Did you graduate with a law degree?