Originally published October 14, 2008 at 10:30a.m., updated October 15, 2008 at 12:00a.m.

All-Big 12 pick Collins healthy heading into season

Big 12 basketball coaches have voted and only two Kansas Jayhawks receive preseason accolades.

Others honored as all-conference:

• Baylor guard Curtis Jerrells
  • Oklahoma forward Blake Griffin
  • Texas guard A.J. Abrams
  • Texas forward/guard Damion James
  • Honorable Mention all-conference: DeMarre Carroll & Leo Lyons, Missouri; James Anderson & Byron Eaton, Oklahoma State; Connor Atchley, Texas; Josh Carter & Bryan Davis, Texas A&M.;
  • Freshman of the year: Oklahoma guard Willie Warren
  • Player of the year: Oklahoma forward Blake Griffin

Sherron Collins went on a special diet last week.

"Ice cream, popsicles, yogurt," said Collins, Kansas University's 5-foot-11, 200-pound junior basketball point guard, whose choices of food had nothing to do with his much publicized fluctuations in weight.

He had his tonsils removed Oct. 7, leaving his throat in no condition for solid matter.

"I was out a few days. It (throat) hurt and I couldn't eat, but it turned out fine. I'm back now," Collins added.

Deeming himself 100 percent healed from offseason arthroscopic left knee surgery and "really close" to his desired weight of 195, Collins said he's looking forward to Friday's Late Night in the Phog (6:30 p.m., Allen Fieldhouse) and the beginning of his junior year.

It's a year of high personal expectations.

Big 12 basketball coaches on Tuesday voted Collins to the five-player Preseason All-League team. He was joined by Texas' Damion James and A.J. Abrams, Baylor's Curtis Jerrells and Oklahoma's Blake Griffin.

Griffin was named preseason player of the year, while KU's Mario Little of Chipola (Fla.) Community College was newcomer of the year and Oklahoma's Willie Warren freshman of the year.

"I am thankful to the coaches for picking me," Collins said. "It motivates me to work harder. Choosing me for this preseason achievement .... it's more a target on my back now. I'm not worried about individual things. I'm just worried about the team and getting better because we're really young."

Collins said he's ready to grasp a leadership role that goes with being starting point guard for a defending national title team that returns zero starters.

"I'm a junior. I'm the 'vet.' A lot of things depend on me, Cole as well," Collins said of sophomore Cole Aldrich.

Collins has already bounced back in the eyes of his head coach, Bill Self, who last week said, "Sherron's been great," after being critical of Collins in August for reporting to school overweight.

"I got a little bit off track," Collins said. "Coming back, coach criticized me. I was out of shape. He told the truth, didn't lie about it at all. It helped me. I've worked hard to get really close to my 195 (pound goal)."

Collins said he lost track of his weight during a 2 1â2-week trip to his hometown of Chicago that preceded the start of first semester classes.

"I was still coming off my knee 'scope. I couldn't really do anything (but) I could have controlled it (weight) a little more," Collins said.

Self last week said Collins needed to be the "best-conditioned player in our league because he will take more shots than anybody in our league.

"I don't know if he'll get 20 off, (but) I really believe he can attempt in that 18-range average for the year. If he does that and makes half of them, you are looking at a guy who averages 22 (points) a game. You've got to be in great shape to be able to get your own shot like he'll have to. Defenses will be designed to stop him," Self said.

Collins is ready to do whatever is asked.

"Coach told me I will have to take a lot of shots in the game. It's my first time hearing it. We'll see what happens," Collins said. "I'm excited just being the position I will be in on the floor. I'm excited to lead the team, to be the leader I'm supposed to be."

He said he won't be discussing his NBA options until after his junior season.

"I'm not even thinking about that right now," he said of possibly entering the 2009 Draft. "Especially now ... I'm thinking about our season. I'm really excited about the season."

¢ Honorable mention: The Big 12 all-league honorable mention team consists of Missouri's DeMarre Carroll and Leo Lyons, Oklahoma State's James Anderson and Byron Eaton, Texas A&M;'s Josh Carter and Bryan Davis and Texas' Connor Atchley. KU's Cole Aldrich was not recognized as honorable mention despite his strong play in last year's NCAA Tournament.

¢ KU vs. Memphis?: Memphis coach John Calipari told Memphis radio station 560 (WHBO) Tuesday that the Tigers would be playing KU next season. KU officials had no comment, indicating no contract has been signed.

¢ Langford in Italy: Former KU guard Keith Langford has signed a two-year contract with Virtus Bologna in Italy's top professional league, Langford's brother, Kevin, told lasvegassun.com. Kevin, a 6-8 senior from TCU, was in Vegas on Tuesday for Mountain West Conference Media Day. U.S. players Earl Boykins, Brett Blizzard, Jamie Arnold and Sharrod Ford are also on Langford's Bologna team.

Comments

bryan123456789 11 years, 3 months ago

dont get me wrong I like Cole, but he hasnt done anything, besides the UNC game he didnt really have a big impact on any games last year. Cole is good, but he may be a year away from being first team all big 12. Last year Cole had turnover and stupid foul problems. He will be a huge part of the team this year, but all you guys saying he is going to be a lottery pick already are silly. He isn't better than Sasha or Darnell yet, if he was better than those 2 he would have played over them. Yes he does have potential, and could someday be a lottery pick, but to say that based on one game is silly. Glad to see the support for Cole, that support is the reason so many players decide to come here, but lets see what he does when he averages 30 minutes a game.

CBaller13 11 years, 3 months ago

Shaun Alexander, Chad Johnson, TJ Houshmanzadeh, oh wait.

CBaller13 11 years, 3 months ago

Little as newcomer of the year is a little surprising to me. Can freshman not win that award? That makes me happy though, good luck to him.Mark my words - Willie Warren will be as good if not better than Blake Griffin. The guy can flat out play. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a_wW6...

keith horinek 11 years, 3 months ago

Aldrich shut down Hansbrough last year in the tournament. Remember, Hansbrough was player of the year last year. Just wait, this year will be aldrich's year!

Ryan Sullivan 11 years, 3 months ago

Yep, I can't wait...not that I'm done watching the Hawks play some football yet. Its such an interesting year and intriguing group of kids that, much as I thought, there are many different schools of thought...all of them valid.

CBaller13 11 years, 3 months ago

Atchley - 10 pts, 5 rbs and 2 blocks while shooting 54% and 41% from the arc - those are good stats. And 2 blocks a game means he isn't "bad" defensively. As for the Cole argument, he will be good, I just think he has to prove more before he wins preseason honors. What he did against UNC was awesome and he deserves a lot for that, especially because that was probably the biggest game in Kansas history. I think Cole is going to be a Collison-esque player for us with a little more of a defensive edge but I think he is more of a 3 year plan than a draft pick this year.As for Barnes as a coach, the guy can coach better than Capel. He's not as good of an X and O's as Self, but he's not bad. Self is a great coach, great recruiter, great guy. I'm not going to lie though - I liked Roy's style better. I love Coach Self and would say Roy and him are equal - I just think Roy's teams are so much fun to watch and Roy is a legend.As for all the Cole will be better than Atchley at the end of the year - I think that's a fair assessment, time will tell. I know one thing - we have to be really good on defense this year to be a good team and I think Cole defnately helps that area big time.

prairie_rattler 11 years, 3 months ago

Cballer - I'm hoping you're basing your assessment on more than that clip... a simple dunk 9 out of 10 NAIA players could convert... no defense (sans Henry's help)... and to top it off, Warren got T'd up on the play... can't wait to see self lock him down.

CBaller13 11 years, 3 months ago

and I know Warren has character issues, I'm just saying watch out for the guy. He's like a DWade athletically. I think Oklahoma is going to be very talented, problem is I don't think Capel is capable(ha ha) of coaching a top 10 team all year long. I think he's a good recruiter but not a great x and o's guy like Self and Barnes. I guess time will tell, I just know that I've seen Warren play 3 times and he is really good.

mbmerriman 11 years, 3 months ago

cballerI think bill is more than just a good recruiter, i agree he isnt a great x's and o's guy, but he may be the best practice coach in the nation, KU always has a plan and they stick too, and basing on the national championship he won last year, it usually works

Nutflush21 11 years, 3 months ago

cballer- Yes Warren can play, yes him tea-bagging Zav-ee-Yay Henry was sweet, but he has had some questions come up about his character and his me first attitude. If Capel can shape him into a team player, he will be a stud though.

Ryan Sullivan 11 years, 3 months ago

How 'bout these questions:1. Who will lead KU in scoring?2. Which Freshman/newcomer will have the best all-around year?So I want to say Sherron, but I think he's going to have to do so many other things that we won't be putting up ungodly point totals. Cole is be very good, but he doesn't have all the moves just yet. I'm gonna say Marcus Morris because he has a high skill level and he's gonna be a difficult matchup for alot of teams I think.Now, although Marcus will lead the team in scoring, I think its gonna be Travis Releford who ends up being the best all-around new guy. He can go alot of different things: score, distribute, and most importantly play defense.My answers:1. Marcus Morris2. Travis RelefordI'd love to hear other thoughts...

killabees 11 years, 3 months ago

CBaller, They also have a Freshman of the year, this year the preseason award goes to Willie Warren from OU. Newcomer of the year is basically for the best transfer, although I'm sure there could be some other situation where a newcomer wasn't a freshman (like a player who had to skip a season for medical reasons, or was mormon and went on a mission before playing, or something to that effect).

CBaller13 11 years, 3 months ago

That dunk didn't make my decision. I just posted it because it is ridiculous. One of the top 10 dunks I've ever seen. Willie Warren can ball, dunk or no dunk.

bryan123456789 11 years, 3 months ago

Sherron Collins will lead this team in scoring. Self said in an article about a week ago that Sherron will take as many shots per game as anyone in the country. So he better be our leading scorer. Tyshawn Taylor will be the best freshman hands down, he may not have the highest points per game, but he will be the most important and best. HE WILL START ALONGSIDE SHERRON mark my words Self has already basically said this much in an article a few weeks ago. All you guys are very high on Travis Releford, and I also think he will have a good year. To be really honest all the freshman better have a good year or we will suck, lets face it Conner, Brady, and Tyrell Reed may never play meaningful minutes at KU with all these high caliber players/athletes we have been recruiting. A player who will suprise many of you will be Markeiff Morris, yes the bb sniper himself. The morris twins may be our biggest inside scoring threats this year, I think Cole may still have a lot of work to do in that department. No matter who does what I am already excited and ready to get this year underway. We are a long shot to repeat as national champions, but we could win as a 3 or 4 seed, but the end of Rush/Chalmers/Julian's first year I thought we had a shot to win, and I see this year as the same kind of challenge....Hell we should win it every year as far as I am concerned

kvskubball 11 years, 3 months ago

MichAve...TRel is going to have a good year. He really helped the National U18 Team this summer. The thing is we've got a lot of good players and just like last year I think when we come together and get some games under out belts, we're going to again have 4 or 5 guys that will lead us in scoring and maybe 3 or 4 that can lead us in rebounding. So I don't think we'll have the same depth as last year when we had like 8 different guys lead a game in scoring and rebounding.To answer your questions,1) If we get him the ball where he can do something with it, I say Cole, and he'll get some of his own with put-backs, if we can't get it to him, my guess is Sherron or whoever has the ball in his hands the most!2) I have no clue, I think we have several really good new options. Will it be TRel? Little? One of the twins? Tyshawn? Tyrone? I think the only new comer that can be seriously counted out is QT, but who knows?All I can say is it is going to be fun finding out the answer to your Q's as the year unfolds!Good Q's!!!!!!

kvskubball 11 years, 3 months ago

bryan...I didn't say he should be a lottery pick, I only said that I think he should have been HM. There's a huge difference. Yes, I agree with those that say the reason he was left off was because he hasn't done anything. I also agree that the reason why he didn't last year was because there wasn't enough PT for him. Did he make mistakes, yes. Do you remember how much Julian improved from his freshman, when we could see he was a freakish-great athlete, but the parts hadn't come together yet. Then Julian really became a good player his Soph. year. I feel great about Cole doing the same thing this year. Sometimes people consider potential when making these selections and sometimes they don't. I think Cole will play 25-30 minutes a game this year may be a 14 ppg and 8 rpg guy. I tell you all, one of my favorite plays from last year was in the NC Semis when Cole ran down the court and ran over Hansborough!LOL. Yes he got the foul, but I loved it!

CBaller13 11 years, 3 months ago

Atchley was a better player than Cole last year.Don't get me wrong, Cole has a lot of promise but I think people are too influenced by his UNC game. Atchley is a great offensive player. I think there's a chance Cole can be as good as Atchley but I think based on last season I would take Atchley over him.

CBaller13 11 years, 3 months ago

I think we could be a lot like the Hollis Price Oklahoma team of 2002-2003. Sherron playing that role with a bunch of other role players contributing in different games. At least I hope that's how the season goes.

justanotherfan 11 years, 3 months ago

Leading scorer - Sherron. For most of the year, we are probably going to have to have the ball in his hands 80% of the time just to have a functional offense. By the conference season, we could see that balance itself a little more, but he's going to be a little like Augustin was for Texas last year.Impact newcomer - Morris twins. We have to be able to get easy buckets inside. Cole is a great defender, but as others have noted, has foul problems. The Morris twins will be key to our offense. If they can score from the block, we can be very good. If they can't we will struggle many a night.

kvskubball 11 years, 3 months ago

mbmerri...I agree, that he is a great recruiter and practice coach, but I also think he is hitting his stride as a bench coach and with x and o! Think back to the NC Semis against UNC. The first play of the second half was a BEAUTIFUL play. If you can go back and watch it. I think it will change your mind about whether Coach knows his x's and o's!!!!!!

chalmers2wright 11 years, 3 months ago

Newcomer of the Year is pretty much Transfer of the year right?

CBaller13 11 years, 3 months ago

Ah ok then I agree with that being that Little was #1 juco player in the country last year. Whatever it means, it sounds good to me. My point was that if Freshman are included then maybe it was a stretch to choose him.

kvskubball 11 years, 3 months ago

Wow, I'm surprised that Aldrich wasn't honorable mention! Is there a limit of 2 players per team?

kvskubball 11 years, 3 months ago

NO, I see that Texas has three players. i don't agree with leaving him off. I think he will be as good as if not better than Connor Atchley!

jhawks 11 years, 3 months ago

Alright Cole...Now go prove 'em wrong!!!

JayhawkPhil 11 years, 3 months ago

I am not sure where all these "character issues" are coming from regarding Warren other than he was pretty cocky about what schools he did and did not want to go to. I saw him play a couple years ago and there was nothing to indicate he had nearly as bad of attitude as Daniel Orton seemed to have both times that I saw him play and no one seems concerned about him.

WisconsinJayhawk 11 years, 3 months ago

Title is deceptive. Newcomer of the Year is NOT "all-conference team". Only Collins is "All-Conference"; but both garner "pre-season honors". There's no 2nd team pre-season, just 1st team and honorable mention? Aldrich will be 1st or 2nd team all conference at the end of the year.

justanotherfan 11 years, 3 months ago

Cole isn't on there because he basically played spot minutes, then one great half in the Final Four. I think Cole will be awesome this year, but I don't think he deserves pre-season honors because he hasn't done anything in Big XII play. Notice that all of the first teamers are guys that were big time players last year. The honorable mention guys are the same way. As for Willie Warren, he's a stud. I think Capel finally has a team that he can compete with on the offensive end. We will see whether or not he can deal with the prosperity as the season wears on.Oh, and Rick Barnes is not a very good X's and O's guy. If anything, he's the one that is the great recruiter, but subpar coach.

KU 11 years, 3 months ago

I don't know if I would go so far as to say Connor Atchley "is a great offensive player". Yes, he went off on KU with the 3 pointers if I recall. Yes, he hit over 40% from the 3 point line last year. Considering his size, he is a bit of a liability on the floor because he is more of a perimeter big.He isn't strong enough to be a monster post player inside and he doesn't do a great job creating. He doesn't get to the foul line and create foul problems for the opponent. He's not a particularly gifted offensive rebounder.He was the 4th option offensively last year. I'm not familiar with UT's new players, but I would say he will be the 3rd or 4th option THIS year because of Abrams, James (and even Mason may be more of a threat this year in the absence of Augustin).Atchley is a solid Big 12 player and honorable mention is about right for him.I'm glad Cole Aldrich wasn't named to the pre-season team. Just more fuel for the internal fire, baby. I think by the end of the year, Cole will be clearly the superior player between him and Atchley--although much DIFFERENT styles.

KU 11 years, 3 months ago

I think if Sherron Collins leads the team in scoring over the WHOLE YEAR, we will struggle. I can see him carrying the team early, but I would hope we have a natural wing scorer OR Aldrich who can assume the scoring leadership. My feeling is the "team" concept will suffer if you're asking a 5'11 point guard to create 15-18 points per game for himself. It can work for a game or a stretch of games, but it's not healthy for the team in the long run. I'd rather not look like Oklahoma State's offense running through Eaton.

John Brown 11 years, 3 months ago

This is pre-season! If Cole smokes the league like he did T. H. in the final four then he wont have a problem making the list.

CBaller13 11 years, 3 months ago

1. I think Sherron will lead our team in scoring. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Sherron is player of the year in the Big 12. When he's on and eating correctly, the guy can flat out play. If he stays healthy, I think he's for sure a top 3 player in the Big 12 and averages 20 ppg, 4 assts.2. Top freshman will be Marcus Morris because he has the best oppurtunity to play the most. I feel as though he's almost a lock at 4 for us. With 2 and 3 you have Tyshawn, TRel, Little, Brady Morningstar all vying for PT. I think Markieff might be our most important freshman though because beyond Cole we have nothing inside. Does anyone else think Sherron can win player of the year? I thought he had a down year last year compared to 06-07 when he carried our team during league play.

Mo Mosallaei 11 years, 3 months ago

Aldrich should absolutely be on the HM list. He isn't on there because he averaged 8 minutes a game and 2.8 points per game his freshman season. We had so many great scorers last year that Cole wasn't asked to do much. When he was asked to perform he dominated players like Tyler Hansbrough.

WisconsinJayhawk 11 years, 3 months ago

THANK YOU for fixing the title to correctly reflect that Little was NOT on the All-Conference Team.

kvskubball 11 years, 3 months ago

justanother...Like no other... ever at KU, hum I'll have to think about that.I'll tell you my impression and comparisons...How about a shorter version of Deron Williams, or here's one to chew on: an even shorter version of Charles Barkley. Each of these guys is/was able to muscle guys several inches taller than them, and were rock solid in almost all aspects of their games. I see Sherron getting there with his game!

Lance Hobson 11 years, 3 months ago

No way! Is that they same Jamie Arnold who used to play for WSU in the pre-Turgeon days? What a complete loser that guy was! He was a punk from Detroit with a ton of talent but 5 cent noggin. I can't believe he's still playing and not in jail.

Lonnie Ross Dillon 11 years, 3 months ago

Just because Little was #1 in Juco doesn't necessarily extrapolate to Div I and Big XII. First off, Jucos aren't known for their defense, and if he doesn't shows those skills Coach won't let him on the floor much. Second, wasn't Jacques Crawford a monster rusher in juco? We see know how well that transferred over...On the other hand, I think Brady Morningstar's dad was a Juco X-fer and he was a significant contributor to a Final Four KU team...I think Johnny Douglas was a Juco X-fer, and he was also a stud.I can't think of any others off hand...

ku98 11 years, 3 months ago

CBall, how can you diss Earl and KG like that? Lester was not THAT tall (6'8 at best) and was a crazy dunker in HS. Check it out:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bamV1EjuCGgAs for Kenny, he was generously listed at 6'5, and Warren is listed at 6'4, so there is not a major difference in height, and Kenny could almost kiss the rim with his 40+inch vertical.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbHfR6UkJhEWarren is all right, don't get me wrong... but I like my former Jayhawks better.

OilKan 11 years, 3 months ago

FOY - Beasley, Durant, Wright, Gibson,LavenderNOY -Carrol, Burgess, Neal, Gray, Conley

Michael Auchard 11 years, 3 months ago

I get really nervous about our chances next year (hear me out, I'm a fanatic like you, I promise!!!) with Collins having such a big role next year. He's streaky from beyond the arc and injury prone. I really, really, really don't want to see him writhing in pain on the floor this year as I've seen in the past. I want this guy to go to the league. Far be it for me to question His Selfness here, as I'm sure he understands Collins' limitations, but I really hope we don't wear Sherron-ron down too much this year. He plays an Allen-Iverson-type game where he bulldogs his way to the lane so much. He is built like a tank, but he always seems to have something holding him back from his amazing potential. I hope this year he drops 20 a game... I'm just nervous.

CBaller13 11 years, 3 months ago

both great dunkers - btw you should include Julian bc he is a nasty dunker. BUT I still think Willie Warren is better because he has better hops. Lesters head gets the same height as Willie Warren and he's 6 inches taller. He's kind of lanky. Kenny Gregory could definately jump but I have to give the nod to Willie Warren for in game dunks. I will say this - you are biased and that's ok. I'm just arguing that dunk he had is a top 10 dunk that I've ever seen. The guy is 6'3 and jumping over someone in a game. That's unheard of.

jasonsgill 11 years, 3 months ago

Also, on the discussion.You guys forget(maybe?) that Little and Collins played together in AAU. That combination is going to get us through some tough early bumps that might otherwise trip up a young team. And it'll also be a potentially devastating combo on the court deep into the year with a developed cast around it.

Jeff Worthington 11 years, 3 months ago

Chalmers2Wright,For the most part, yeah newcomer of the year is usually for a transfer. But I remember Jacque Vaughn as a freshman won newcomer of the year, but the freshman of the year went to Kelly Thames from Missouri. I would think newcomer of the year is a slightly bigger award, since it includes freshman and transfers.And obviously Durant would've won it 2 seasons ago, but they may have changed it to strictly transfers. So I'm not sure if he won it or not.

ku98 11 years, 3 months ago

Ross, I agree with you that #1 in JuCo does not necessarily extrapolate to Div I. JuCo players are very much a gamble... For every Larry Johnson, there are 50 to 100 Ashante Johnsons or Jelani Janisses. KU has not had much luck with JuCos in the last 10-20 years. Hope Little breaks the mold.As for Willie Warren, yes, it is a nice dunk that CBaller posted, but far from being one of the best dunks I have ever seen. KU's Kenny Gregory and Lester Earl were better dunkers than him.

CBaller13 11 years, 3 months ago

HAHA no way. Willie Warren is 6'3 and his head gets to the rim. Lester Earl was just real tall and Kenny Gregory had hops but not like Warren.

justanotherfan 11 years, 3 months ago

Dunking on people is an art form. Some good ones...Kobe over Steve Nash. Just ugly.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgWIXQVsXjcLebron on Damon Jones. Little guys should not EVER jump to block a dunk, otherwise you end up like this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K73lS1HetaYAndre Iguodala over Jumaine Jones. Don't arrive late.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvT9h0hpLakJulian Wright. This one was a facial within a facial. It symbolized the blowout this game had become.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmC9Tb... on Kevin Love. This was a true punch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K1erfSGCWs

kvskubball 11 years, 3 months ago

KU, I think you're spot on! Only one gun would be a tough go.CBall...I think "If he stays healthy" and Sherron don't quite go together, so far. But I hope that he is and he'll have a really good year. I like his toughness, he's like those old plastic Bozo's that had a sand bottom, you could hit 'em and they'd go over, but they always came right back up. From the surgery he needed this summer, it is obvious that he wasn't a 100% in the FF last year, but he sure still played like he was!We need others to step up so that if he does get hurt, we don't go into a free fall.As far as Juco's, going way back, Al Lopes was from a Juco to KU in the 60's

jaybate 11 years, 3 months ago

But, hey, he's not just a Sherronatron with a laser sited electron gun.This guy's got the muscle mass. He's the density of a black hole. He pees heavy water. He can body any ordinary guard not just into the cheap seats, but entirely off the fabric of space-time. And he's not just strong.The guy can slash, and spin, and reverse in traffic like a caffeinated quark in phase space at Fermi lab.He's a serious threat from three.He's a serious threat at the rim.He's a serious threat every where in between.Combine superior acceleration, superior mass, and superior strength in a basketball player, regardless of height, and you've weaponized a match-up advantage. Add excellent skills, fundamentals and touch, and you've created a nuclear reaction in warm ups. Take off the warm-ups, and add 22 shots a game and you've got a weapon of mass destruction set to go off each game.Oh, and he just happens to have Tyshaun beside him and so opponents are going to learn after six games, that they dare not rig their, weeny, unmanly, unSelfian defenses to stop Sherron, or else Tyshaunatron goes off like, well, like Sherron II.KU is bleeeeeeeeeesed this year at guard.

CBaller13 11 years, 3 months ago

Alright I admit the Lester Earl dunk was as good as Warren's. I just think its more amazing that a 6'3" player dunked over someone so I have to give the edge to Warren. As for the Baron dunk, that's just sick because he dunked on one of the the top shot blockers and defenders in the NBA. Who was Dooling's dunk over?

Jaminrawk 11 years, 3 months ago

Cole is gonna be much better than he is getting credit for. He was basically the 3rd or 4th bigman in the rotation last year so he didn't see nearly as much playing time as he will this year. Plus, if the things they are saying about the Morris twins having range are true, he might just have a heyday inside this year.I would LOVE for KU to get a yearly game with Memphis going. I mean, KU and Memphis are the two powers of the midwest and we seem to be head-to-head in recruiting as well. Actually, we should just throw Baylor or Colorado in the WAC and bring Memphis into the Big XII. That would be awesome.

jaybate 11 years, 3 months ago

Right now, Bill Self and some fellow D1 coaches, and yours truly, seem to be the only ones who remember how truly dominant Sherron was in highschool--the last time he was healthy--and how he led KU from the sixth man spot to a national title.Sherron is almost certain to be recognized after this year as the best PG KU has had since Jo Jo. If healthy, he can score 20ppg in his sleep. I expect him to beast a few times this season for 30. Bill Self needs to show case a guard to help him land the next superstar PG, AND to put a sock in all this talk that no one gets to show their best at KU because of the recent spate of spread-it-around ball.Bill Self, Mr. Wreak Havoc on Defense and Don't Turn It Over on Offense, needs to keep the ball in Sherron's experienced hands as much as possible to keep it out of the inexperienced hands of freshman starters--for half a season anyway. Listen up freshmen, the freshman are just supposed to set picks to shake Sherron loose and to come off picks to take dishes from Sherron. Sherron will manage this gig. He will decide when you need to score. And shoot when he dishes it to you. Don't pass the ball. Don't even think of passing the ball! Only bad happens when freshman pass the ball. And for god's sakes, freshman, don't EVER dribble it. You saw what happened to Memphis at crunch time when THEY had a freshman handling the ball. Freshman dribbling basketballs is as dangerous as asking persons with Parkinsons to play catch with Nitroglycerin. Just set picks, freshman, and come off picks, freshman, and Sherron will take care of the rest, at least until your wobbly, doe-like legs get the hang of things by March. Now to replay my iPod Nano's Sherron track, on one and a half legs, Sherron Collins was a better point guard than Mario Chalmers and Russell Robinson, and Mario is in the L playing PG, while RR is doing same for a pro team in Europe.To put Sherron in historical perspective, Sherron is Jacque Vaughn with brute strength, quantum acceleration, and an excellent touch. He's like Aaron Miles with the same. And Vaughn and Miles were darned good point guards, too. Let me cue another iPod replay: Sherron, on one and a half legs, blew by D.J. Augustin, LB's numero uno for the Charlotte Jordans.Sherron at 195, with 2 good wheels, is now the Bugatti Veyron of point guards in college basketball. Sherron be capable of accelerating to 60 mph in 2.0 seconds. After Sherron, there be the UNC pg at about 3.25 seconds, and the rest of the supposedly top PGs be draggin' their onions at 4.0 seconds.Sherron Collins accelerates so fast, the scientists at CERN have named a new particle for him--the Sherronatron.Sherron takes quickness to a new dimension.His first step is so fast you have to measure it with a linear accelerator.But he's not just a positron in Pumas.He can jump, too.He can get to the rim and finish like a directed energy weapon.

kvskubball 11 years, 3 months ago

OilKanAre those the last 5 freshmen of the year and newcomers of the year in the Big XII?If so, then we can see that the FOY's have had a much larger impact on the league than have the NOY's!Who agrees or disagrees?

jasonsgill 11 years, 3 months ago

I like the call of Sherron as top scorer, but I would say Little is a definite sleeper for that honor. The guy can score 8 different ways and will be able to exploit alot of matchup problems. I see Sherron shooting alot more at the beginning of the year but becoming more of a point as the year goes on.As you might suspect from the above I think Little will be our best '08 recruit. Although I think Taylor, Morris and Releford will all play at a high level by the time Feb. rolls around.

oregonjhawk 11 years, 3 months ago

Nice to hear that Keith Langford is getting some play time in Italy. He's one of my favorite players that doesn't normally come to mind.

kvskubball 11 years, 3 months ago

Strike,The purpose is to generate interest.That's not needed here at KU!!

Lance Hobson 11 years, 3 months ago

A lot of accolades for guys who haven't played a game yet this year. I'm not sure what the purpose is of preseason awards.

ralsterKUMed95 11 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like Sherron is up to the task for sure. Seriously, if the Allen Iverson analogy holds true, as suggested above, then a 30lbs heavier, more muscular version should hopefully be more durable? I guess we all will see. I personally, (and apparently the rest of the BigXII coaches) think alot of Mario Little. He has collegiate experience, in a sense. He has grown into his frame better than most freshmen, just by being older; and we know he can play hurt at a high level. And he also seems to play like a more aggressive version of Rush, at least offensively. If anyone can teach defense, Self can. I hope these guys respond semi-quickly. Last year provided an awesome package of defensive highlights (courtesy Mr. Robinson and Mr. Rush, and Chalmers), as well as the offensive show. I do not understand someone posting way above that they still liked Roy Williams style of ball better? What???!! Offensively its the same transition fed by turnovers, etc, but KU blows away Roy's teams in the half court offense (even the ACC-lovin ESPN commentators mentioned that about UNC), and defensively?...You need to watch any of Roys teams season in archives, and watch the last 2yrs of KU. Especially last year's KU...wow! Where U been?

ralsterKUMed95 11 years, 3 months ago

...and I really like/liked/never disliked Roy. I absolutely do feel he learned a few things in the Final4 game vs. KU, courtesy Bill Self. Who 'transition-balled' who? Dont worry, North Carolina basketball will be just fine, if not better, under the now new & improved Roy Williams...

jasonsgill 11 years, 3 months ago

Grilllll Cheeeeeese!!!!!!!/Seconding the props to Graves

justanotherfan 11 years, 3 months ago

Sherron is like no one else ever in a KU uniform. That's right, I said EVER. I am not saying that he is or even will be the best player EVER at KU, or even the top 5, because that's just silly. What I am saying though is that we have never had a guy like Sherron. Never have we had a guy that was lightning quick, strong as a bull and explosive like Sherron. We have had lots of great distributors (Miles, Vaughn, Jordan, etc.) many tremendous overall guards (Langford, Chalmers, White, etc) but never someone who could break down the ENTIRE defense by putting the ball on the floor. Sherron is Allen Iverson, except 30 pounds heavier. The one thing that worries me is the injuries. Lower body injuries are the type of thing that causes constant problems. Because of his explosiveness and build, Sherron is hard on his knees. Whether they can stand that type of pounding for a full collegiate season is still an issue. Do I think Sherron can lead this team in scoring? Yes, without a doubt. But I don't want him to. I think we will be a better ballclub overall if he doesn't have to take 18-20 shots a night. I think it will keep him healthier if he doesn't have to create every trip. I think Sherron's life gets infinitely easier if either Tyshawn or Travis is doing damage from the perimeter. I think Sherron's life is much easier if we have a good low post threat. But just like last year, when I wanted the ball in Mario's hands down the stretch, this year I will want the ball resting in Sherron's hands for every clutch moment. If he has to take over every close game for the last two minutes, I'm willing to ride along. I just hope he doesn't have to do that for all 40.

Joe Ross 11 years, 3 months ago

"KU has not had much luck with JuCos in the last 10-20 years. Hope Little breaks the mold."JEFF GRAVES!!!!!!!!!!!One of my favorite KU players of all time. Julian would turn beast mode on and off. For Jeff Graves, there was no "off switch".

KGphoto 11 years, 3 months ago

CBaller13, that's the funniest dunk photo I've ever seen! I almost blew my cheerios out my nose. http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1935196.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1939057D9939C83F1069B72C47BECCD0F8B5A5397277B4DC33EThe best dunker? Kind of depends on what you like to see. I'm like you. I like seeing it in a game. And I like seeing someone getting posterized.That said. Best dunk I've ever seen in college was 6'3" Keyon Dooling flying over 6'9" Ashante Johnson to throw it down. This YouTube does it no justice. If you were there you were making the same face as Dooling. And Roy's quote cements it for me."We saw him fly... all of us". -Roy Williamshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io24lQQ32HoI love it when a small guard just blows somebody up. Former KU recruit Baron Davis did it in the pros, in the playoffs a couple of years ago. Against shot blocking menace Kirilenko. Maybe the greatest dunk ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j01q8A6pqpsA dunk gets major points for being unexpected too. Both the Keyon and the Baron jams were completely out of the blue and gave you a jolt.This link has a scroll of sick jams. Starting with another Baron blowup.http://www.jumprevolution.com/index.php?file=profile&video_id=31317Another honorable mention. Kevin Johnson over Hakeem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifx_gR...

Tuskin 11 years, 3 months ago

How can Dooling's dunk be the best in college if they didn't even count it?

CBaller13 11 years, 3 months ago

From ESPN:5. Darnell Jackson's toughnessHe's just a rookie, but after four years at Kansas, Jackson and James are almost the same age. He's also a former high school football star. All of it shows. Though respectful, he hasn't backed down once to the veterans even when Wallace started hitting him with elbows in practice to test him or he was required to put on diapers in the locker room as a hazing ritual. Coach Mike Brown has raved about him day after day in practice and called him one of the best screen setters he's ever coached. He's an undersized power forward at 6-foot-8 and he likely won't see much playing time early on, but there is no questioning the impression he's leaving. Every year there is a second-round pick who surprises and the Cavs are hopeful they've found a blue-collar banger, which they backed up by giving Jackson a three-year contract.

jaybate 11 years, 3 months ago

Sherron gets 20ppg.Four other starters average 10 ppg.The bench brings 15.W/L record depends on whether these guys can play wreak havoc, in the passing lane defense, or not.If they learn the D by January, they win the league and get to the Sixteen, maybe the Eight.If they don't learn the D, if they don't commit their mortal souls to becoming at least 90% of last year's greatest defense in the history of college basketball, then this is a rebuilding year, with or without the wonderful guard tandem.Since I believe Bill Self is a Defensive Evangelist who could have converted even Lloyd B. "World" Free to lock-down defense, I predict this team will take the wreak-havoc defense to a very high level and the team will do well. Still, I am chastened by the number of obviously offensive players Coach Self and recall an biting bit of commentary by an old, defensive minded coach of mine. You can lead a player to defense, but you can't make him play it. Great defense, more than anything else in basketball, requires a deep reservoir of wanting not just to beat an opponent, but to dominate them. Scoring is the effete part of the game. See how I dunked on you, man, I dented your grill! There's just nothing manly at all about scoring. Even the dunk is the feminine, finesse side of the game. Defense is where you find out if you have a pair. How bad do you want it? If you want to control an opponent, if you want to break an opponent, if you want to break them down to whipped puppies, it gets done with defensive manhood. Mano a mano. Freshmen rarely have it. Neither Derrick Rose nor Kevin Love had defensive manhood when it came to the crunch in the tournament. Two great freshman in every way but one. They lacked the defensive cojones to survive to the end. If these freshman have that, if Bill Self can instill that, in one season, it will be the greatest job of coaching ever. It took all the great old coaches several years to get players to defend like men. It took Bill Self 3-4 years to get most of last year's players to defend like men, to take defense to the level of brutal domination of an opponent.Who knows if its possible? But we're about to find out.(Note: this started as a post about offense and scoring and it wound around to being about defense. Why? Because everything in Self-ball ultimately comes down to defense.)