Thursday, October 9, 2008

KU sends students video of Mangino asking for end to explicit chant

Mark Mangino filmed this video about a chant said at KU football games that has drawn the ire of KU officials and some students. He sent it to students in an e-mail.

KU officials urge students to drop chant

KU officials urged students to refrain from using a long-time student chant during football games because of its obscenity.

Kansas University football coach Mark Mangino asked students to stop an obscene football chant today.

The video was distributed to university students by e-mail this afternoon, asking them to stop yelling "rip his (expletive) head off" after Kansas kickoffs.

Mangino thanked the students for their support and praised the university's many traditions.

"But do us a favor," Mangino said in the video. "Let's cut out that kickoff chant."

Comments

LakeShawnee 10 years, 8 months ago

On the whole, I'm indifferent about the chant. I'm just glad the students show up. Nevertheless, couldn't we give the students a pass when we play Mizzou? You all know that secretly (and for some of us openly) we'd all LOVE to see a Tiger actually get his head ripped off....

stravinsky 10 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, I'm definitely not a republican, but I think yelling "home of the chiefs" at the end of the national anthem is f-ing stupid. Reasons have pretty much already been covered. The Patriots winning more games last year than we will in three or four (or five....) is also part of it.

Alan Halvorsen 10 years, 8 months ago

All I'm gonna say is ya'll better do what the man says. God knows there are other places he could go in a heart beat that would listen to the 2007 NCOTY

Jeff Worthington 10 years, 8 months ago

I'm glad the athletic department got Mangino involved. He's brought more success to this program than anyone dreamed, so I'm thinking if he says to get rid of it, then we'll get rid of it(even if he doesn't care). For a new chant after the kickoff, I'm trying to help spread the word to chant "Rock Chalk Jayhawk KU!" just like we do at the end of the "Rock Chalk" chant during pregame. It'll sound really great if everyone pitches in. The most important thing is to be loud, REAL LOUD! And help our guys to get a big W this Saturday. ROCK CHALK!!!

DueFan 10 years, 8 months ago

Mangino asking the students to stop chanting f*** words!! It's like having Snoop Dogg asking people to stop smoking weed.

rockchalkblock 10 years, 8 months ago

I dont see how saying home of the chiefs is disrespectful, i think its holarious when people do it.. you both must be way right wing republicans

Marcia Parsons 10 years, 8 months ago

If the rest of the crowd would yell they would cover up the students. Maybe they could find a way to encourage that. Childish is as childish does, as Forrest would say, but asking them not to just makes it worse.

rockchalkAZ 10 years, 8 months ago

hey how bout we change the chant to this.... GIVE HIM A BIG FRIENDLY HUG!!!it's not a big deal and it's not gonna change, sorry

okjhok 10 years, 8 months ago

I doubt Mangino gives a rat's ass what the students are chanting as long as they keep showing up to games.

barackchalkjhawk 10 years, 8 months ago

I agree, makes us look (and sound) like Misery fans. We're better than that.

troutsee 10 years, 8 months ago

I never could understand what they were chanting.

John Percival 10 years, 8 months ago

My favorite is yelling "home of the Chiefs" after the Anthem. 1. It's disrespectful 2. Memorial ain't the f-ing home of the Chiefs!!! Stupid. Realy cool now that the Chefs are the laughing-stock of the NFL.

Jarod DeLozier 10 years, 8 months ago

The chant isn't very cool, but that video was lame. Can't we afford a teleprompter or something so he's at least looking at the camera. Or couldn't he wing it, not as though he was saying anything he couldn't come up with on his own. That looked like the American Express commercial the Cleveland Indians shot in the movie "Major League"....

FSUJHAWK 10 years, 8 months ago

I use to do and say a bunch of silly things when I was a student at KU and FSU. I never really thought about the implications of certain things until I got a real job and had a child. I haven't had the chance to take my kid up to Lawrence for a game yet but I would be a bit upset if this chant was one of the first things my kid would hear in the stands at a KU game. Kids will be kids but someday we all have to grow up.

William James 10 years, 8 months ago

Coach Mangino commands your respect. Nobody makes him do anything. If he dosent want to do it, he's not going to. If you dont listen to him then I am convinced you dont really care about this program.Only 2 Schools out of 119 with the F-Bomb in their chants. 1. Missouri2. Kansas

tdub 10 years, 8 months ago

The "home of the chiefs" is hardly audible these days. That's what having a terrible franchise will do for your "fan" support.As for the explicit chant, I'm wondering why Bob, Lew, and Mangino all of a sudden give a hoot. This thing has been around since my early days at KU, five or six years ago. Sure, it has gotten louder but I don't think college students care much about hurting people's feelings.

KUbsee69 10 years, 8 months ago

An alternate cheer would be better, but why use several words. The more words, the more garbled the chant and the less effective it is.Why not just get everyone to yell "FUMBLE" the instant the kick receiver touches the ball?

Jeff Hargate 10 years, 8 months ago

Mangino better remember this the next time he blasts one of his players with F-Bombs on the sideline. The horror!!!What happens when you tell a 18-23 year old kid they cannot do something? It's gonna be louder than ever tommorrow.

eastcoasthawk 10 years, 8 months ago

Great traditions. Check. Classiest fans. Hardly. Maybe if it is low class.

DallasHawk 10 years, 8 months ago

I heard this crap during the SHSU game and I think it is classless. I'm glad they have put a stop to it. Seriously? That is the best our student body can come up with??