Friday, October 3, 2008

Unveiling title banner to highlight Late Night

Bill Self addresses Jayhawk fans Sunday, April 13, 2008 during an awards ceremony for the 2008 national champion KU basketball team at Allen Fieldhouse.

Allen Fieldhouse doors will swing open at 5:30 p.m., Oct. 17 for Kansas University's season-opening Late Night in the Phog.

The program, which will include men's and women's basketball skits and scrimmages, will start at 6:45 p.m., and conclude around 9:30 p.m., KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said Thursday. It will be televised by Metro Sports with portions shown by ESPNU.

Admission is free. Fans are encouraged to bring nonperishable goods or make a donation to benefit area food pantries.

"I think the festivities, including the entertainment and the chance to see our men's and women's teams scrimmage, in addition to the unveiling of the banners, will make it a Late Night to remember," Marchiony said of KU's 24th-annual season-opening hoops extravaganza.

A temporary 2008 NCAA title banner will be unfurled in the south rafters as well as a Final Four and Big 12 title banner. An '08 national title banner identical to the four in the north rafters will be unveiled during KU's game against Florida Gulf Coast on Nov. 18.

¢ Walk-on tryouts set: KU's men's team will conduct walk-on tryouts on Sunday, Oct. 26, in Allen. Anyone interested in trying out must pick up a packet of information from the men's basketball office (250 Wagnon Student Athlete Center) prior to Oct. 15. Only full-time KU students are eligible for tryouts. For more information contact the basketball office at 864-3056.

¢ DJ impresses: Former KU forward Darnell Jackson has been impressive in training camp workouts of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

"He reminds me of somebody like Dick Butkus," Cavs' coach Mike Brown said of the 6-foot-8, 250-pound Jackson, in an interview with the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

"You take a guy like Darnell Jackson, he's a grizzled vet almost. His presence is almost similar to a guy who has been in the league three or four years," Brown added.

Jackson is hoping to earn meaningful minutes as a first-year player.

"I'll be the dirty guy on the floor" Jackson said. "There's just so much to learn. I just try to do what I need to do, get the ball, get out, run down the court and play defense."

Jackson commented to the Plain Dealer about former KU teammates Darrell Arthur and Mario Chalmers getting booted from the NBA mandatory rookie transition program after being caught with women and scent of marijuana in their room.

"I didn't know what happened," Jackson said. "When I found out I was kind of disappointed. I've been through a lot with those guys. But they made that choice. A lot of people make mistakes. They have to take their medicine and move on."

¢ Heat competition fierce: Chalmers, Chris Quinn and Marcus Banks are vying for the starting point guard position with the Miami Heat.

"Mario has had a couple of really good days and a couple of days where he's taken a couple of steps back and he's trying to figure it out. It's really about trying to get him some consistency and trying to play at an efficient level every day," Heat coach Erik Spoelstra told the Palm Beach Post.

"Some days I look really good learning the system, and some days I'm trying to learn things and trying to put them out there on the court," Chalmers said.

¢ Lance to visit: Lance Stephenson, a 6-5, 195-pound senior shooting guard from Lincoln High in Brooklyn, N.Y., will visit KU this month, likely for Late Night, Rivals.com reports. Stephenson also wants to visit Memphis, Southern Cal and UCLA this month. Other schools on his list: Pittsburgh, Indiana, North Carolina, Seton Hall. He will not sign until April.

Comments

chalmers2wright 11 years, 2 months ago

Have we ever had this much talent come visit for Late Night? It seems like we've got half the top 20 guys coming to visit. Anyone have a full list of who's coming?

bmkjayhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Triplenut, when you say "stud" for the last two listed, are there no rankings anywhere for them yet? I guess it wouldn't surprise me as it is, after all, quite awhile until they graduate from high school.

KGphoto 11 years, 2 months ago

JayCeph, that was not a DJax quote. Read it again.

Kevin Long 11 years, 2 months ago

Aledell- Where there is smoke there is fire. You should have been on the OJ case. You would have fit right in.

JayCeph 11 years, 2 months ago

Hey guys, quit giving Gary a hard time for using a QUOTE by DJax. All he did was quote the man. We all see it for the misspoken Freudian slip that it is but Gary didn't do anything wrong by re-posting it.Personally, I'd like to rebuff the goon who asked the question in the first place.On to 'Early Evening in the Phog'!!

5DecadeHawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Darnell Jackson is a WINNER. He may be the guy that becomes the most under appreciated heart and soul player in the NBA. His example may provide that steady influence that a hyperstar like LeBron needs.I love the idea of having two banner hanging dates. I'm not certain about recruiting schedules for football, but I hope we'll be able to have football recruits in the Fieldhouse on November 18 to enjoy the atmosphere for the 2nd banner hanging. Let them see the enthusiasm that KU fans are capable of. I haven't looked at the NBA schedules, but I hope some or all of our National Champion players that are currently playing in the NBA will also be able to attend one date or the other.Just to clear up a few other things...Johnny Cochran passed away 2 or 3 years ago. I don't expect him to come back. I also think associating the DateGate incident to the OJ case is extremely irresponsible. Whether you belive OJ did it or not, people died with that case. Arthur and Chalmers just had some women in their stinky room. It's hardly a similar situation.Unfortunately, Gary Bedore is allowing himself to be influenced by Keegan and his penchant for constantly picking at scabs to keep them bleeding as long as possible. Maybe one of these days fans and readers will wise up and hold him accountable for puss and infection. An antibotic injection of new leadership in the LJW Sports department would help.C'mon Gary, you're a better writer than to allow yourself to fall into this trap. Rehashing old news? Jackson has been quoted about the DateGate incident previously. You know you've got plenty of things to write about without pulling Keegan/Doogie lame stunts. Please don't stoop to their level. Set the example of how a quality reporter works.

KU 11 years, 2 months ago

Speaking of the OJ case, I can here Johnny Cochrain now: "If they didn't take a hit.....you MUST acquit."

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 2 months ago

Way to go, D-Jack!!! Love the attitude!!!

Tim Faulhaber 11 years, 2 months ago

bmkjayhawk: Yea pretty much, scout has about 10 players from the 2011 class on who to look out for and nothing on the 2012 class, so no real rankings on them yet.I'm willing to bet Beal will be in the top 30 in his class and Ellis will be top 10, he's been talked about nationally since the 8th grade.

Mo Golany 11 years, 2 months ago

Lance Stephenson is nasty!!!! If we can land him we are gonna be no joke! That kid can play! I like him more than X! NYC players usually are tough ala Russell Robinson!!!!

JayCeph 11 years, 2 months ago

Good call KGphoto, I recant my redress and allow the public consternation for Gary.Sorry Gary, but they're right.

Brian Correll 11 years, 2 months ago

aledellWhile no pot was found in the room, I bet if you were able to follow the flow of the toilet you would have all the evidence you need. It still does not mean Chalmers, Arthur or Beasley for that matter actually smoked. Fact is they put themselves in a bad situation and should have been more thoughtful of their actions especially during the event they were attending which was meant to inform all newcomers of the perils of life in the NBA. I think we have all had enough of this storyline already!

KU 11 years, 2 months ago

I'll say it one more time, just for you 5Decade.Johnny Cochran: "If they didn't take a hit.....you MUST acquit."

JNHawks 11 years, 2 months ago

listen, in the US you are innocent until proven guilty, a strange scent smelled by some security guard and so many people want to crucify these young heroes of our program. They got caught with 2 girls in their room, for this they apologized and payed a steep fine.Darnell is a super stud!!

Andrew Ledell 11 years, 2 months ago

"after being caught with women and marijuana in their room"Funny. Everything I remember reading said the smell of marijuana was present, but no actual weed was found anywhere in the room. So, LJW, of course we all assume they were smoking pot, but isn't that irresponsible journalism to say they were actually caught with it when they weren't?

Robin Smith 11 years, 2 months ago

I'm enthused about every prospect we're in the running for and even more enthused about the Team we'll have this season. It's going to be a lot of fun.KUdos Darnell, makin us proud.

Kevin Long 11 years, 2 months ago

I personally don't have a problem with what they did, but to act like it didn't happen is just being silly. I loved both of those guys as Jayhawks and will continue to support them.

Tim Faulhaber 11 years, 2 months ago

Here you go chalmers2wright:2009 Class: (All rankings by scout.com)PG/SG: Elijah Johnson (ranked 25th)SG: X Henry (ranked 4th)SG: Mike Snaer (ranked 22nd)SF: Dominic Cheek (ranked 15th)SF: Lance Stephenson (ranked 7th)PF/C: Daniel Orton (ranked 12th)2010 class:PG: Ray McCallum (ranked 30th)SF: Harrison Barnes (ranked 3rd)2011 class:PG/SG: Bradley Beal (stud from St. Louis)2012 class:SF: Perry Ellis (stud from Wichita)Hopefully this is helpful to all, it's exactally what kind of group you need to have to a Late Night when your unveiling a Natty Championship banner.

Kevin Long 11 years, 2 months ago

It's going to be good to see a new national champs banner hanging. We really needed an upgrade!

Rock Klein 11 years, 2 months ago

My take on the Chalmers/Arthur incident: Beasley and the girls were smoking pot, Chalmers and Arthur were waiting for the action afterwards.I don't imagine Beasley and Chalmers will be rooming together on the road this year with the Heat.

KU 11 years, 2 months ago

Wow! With a large, talented group like that attending Late Night, somebody better be getting the itchy finger to sign early since there are only 3 spots available at this point.

KGphoto 11 years, 2 months ago

"...after being caught with women and marijuana in their room".Gary did I miss something? I don't remember them finding any marijuana in the room. Just women. That's the official report. Stick to the facts. If I missed some breaking news, I apologize for the following statement in advance.The NBA privately fosters an environment that breeds misbehavior, then publicly scorns a select few every year to make sure they look like the good guy. Our boys were selected this year as patsies. The NBA's motives should be crystal clear after they doled out wildly inconsistent punishment favoring their big new star. So as long as the official report states that they were kicked out for having women in the room, and that no marijuana was found, that's what I'm going with.You do a great job Gary, but I don't want to make it any easier for the NBA to take the high moral ground, by propagating rumors and not facts. Especially when it implicates our hometown heros.

Jaminrawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Wow! We are gonna have the best Late Night ever. All of those recruits in one night.

Drew Bender 11 years, 2 months ago

bmkjayhawk,an article from theshiverhttp://theshiver.com/2008/09/perry-ellis-loves-ku/"Some consider Ellis to be a lock for the top 25 of the 2012 class rankings when they are finally released and according to his coach his game is really progressing in the Fall league."

Lance Hobson 11 years, 2 months ago

BTW, Johnny Cochrane died the same week that the Pope did, kind of ironic. It all evens out in the end.

100 11 years, 2 months ago

maybe instead of having the recruits scrimmage the current players, the recruits could get lowered out of the scoreboard. "And now, ladies and gentlemen, for your halftime entertainment, more future hard working NBA champion Jayhawks". As Xavier and John slowly descend, James Brown's Living in America cues up and rocks the house. Scoreboard clips start rolling: of Pierce limping back onto the court against the Lakers, then raising his MVP trophy high, passionatelypumping his fist, riling up the Boston fathful, Vaughn holding up his NBA rings, Simien holding his, Pollard kissing the NBA trophy, Larry Brown held up by his team clutching NBA trophy, JoJo White, Chamberlain, etc

JayhawkPhil 11 years, 2 months ago

It is silly to debate whether or not Chambers and Arthur had women and pot in their room. KU's Johnny Cochran reference was entirely appropriate and the fact that he is dead has no relevence. The point is Chambers and Arthur are going to have to live with this for a while and the only way it will go away is if they demonstrate they really are good citizens. Apologizing and showing remorse was a good first step. Now they just have to watch their actions in the future and they will be all right. They will be on a much shorter leash than if they hadn't gotten into this fix but I think they have the substance to do that.

Drew Bender 11 years, 2 months ago

JayhawkPhil,It is CHALMERS... Not CHAMBERS... Twice in the same paragraph you misspelled it

100 11 years, 2 months ago

rockchalkAZ: how intelligent you are to see that I was being, as you put so precisely, "stupid". Now, I have a question for you -- if it truly is stupid, why did you read it twice?

rockchalkAZ 11 years, 2 months ago

100.... I never said you were being stupid. i just said your idea was stupid. i said you were being a d bag (d stands for douche, i'm not sure if you know that). i read it twice, even three times actually, just to see if your words really were as stupid, cheesy, corny, etc as i thought they were the first time. and they were

Ryan Wood 11 years, 2 months ago

I've never seen so much whining in my life.

100 11 years, 2 months ago

A week or two ago Memphis papers (and KU fans) seemed to believe that Xavier (and possibly Wall) were going to finalize their decision. Since that hasn't happened (or has it?), will they be at KU for Late Night? If so, Calipari better get some depends when he goes to bed that night -- if Self can some how get those two into Allen to see the banner drop and keep MartiniMan from handcuffing Self's prospects in Memphis, Calipari is going to be p**pin' his pants that night. Calipari's worst fears: 1. Going to bed at night and having nightmares of Chalmers shooting the ball over Rose's fingernail. 2. Forgetting to wear depends.3. Xavier Henry and John Wall not giving Calipari a verbal "fast enough". 4. Xavier Henry and John Wall attending KU's late night.

RckChalkJeff 11 years, 2 months ago

Get used to it rockchalkAZ. 100 has been posting d-bag comments for a long time.

Andrew Ledell 11 years, 2 months ago

My original point was that the online version of a newspaper that claims to be both fair and credible is stating things as facts that have not been proven. Adding the words "the scent of" or "allegedly" would have made this fair game, in my opinion. But that terminology wasn't used, therefore rendering this "journalism" irresponsible.

KGphoto 11 years, 2 months ago

Gary? Gary Bedore? Do you have anything you'd like to say to the class?

Jonathan Allison 11 years, 2 months ago

maybe we should have all of the recruits scrimmage against our mens basketball team at late night.That would be quite the show.

rockchalkAZ 11 years, 2 months ago

100... you're still a d bag. that was stupid

Joe Ross 11 years, 2 months ago

That would be quite an NCAA violation.

Dan Harris 11 years, 2 months ago

Way to go DJ!! I will be rooting for the Cavs this year. On another note I thought that I read somewhere that L Stephenson has a really bad attitude. Has anybody else heard this?