Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Mangino: Reesing’s struggles no concern

The Kansas football team will have to wait two more years before it receives a crack at breaking its 20-game losing streak in Lincoln.

In just two years as Kansas University's starting quarterback, Todd Reesing has moved to the top of a number of lists - passing yards and touchdowns in a KU career, to name a few.

Unfortunately for the junior from Austin, Texas, this season he's also found himself atop a far-less desirable list: Interceptions among Big 12 quarterbacks.

In Saturday's 45-35 loss to Nebraska, Reesing tossed his conference-worst 10th interception of the year when he was picked off by Huskers defensive end Zach Potter late in the fourth quarter.

Normally, 10 interceptions wouldn't be much cause for concern - especially from a quarterback on pace to throw for 3,530 yards and 28 touchdowns this regular season. But after a 2007 season in which he threw just seven total interceptions, fewest among Big 12 starting signal-callers, this year's total has raised some eyebrows.

"He's 2-to-1 in touchdowns-to-interception, which I would say most people would take," Kansas offensive coordinator Ed Warinner said last week. "But for him, it's a little bit higher than we would like. ... But we've just got to be smart and not take too many chances and not try to force things."

Part of Reesing's miscues can likely be attributed to the inexperience of the team's offensive line. While the interior three remained the same from last year's 12-1 team, the team features a pair of red-shirt freshman tackles in Jeff Spikes and Jeremiah Hatch.

Against Nebraska, Reesing was sacked a season-high five times, and for much of this season, he's enjoyed far less time to work in the pocket.

On Monday, however, Kansas coach Mark Mangino insisted that Reesing's recent struggles - specifically, last week's season-low completion percentage of 50-percent - isn't exactly keeping him up at night.

"We can live with it because he makes plays for us, and that's really the bottom line: making plays," said Mangino. "If you saw any of the Nebraska game, you could see where he just flat out was just being a great competitor. ... You would always like to see the completion percentage higher, but I think in this case, it doesn't speak to his productivity.

Comments

Lance Hobson 5 years, 11 months ago

The O put up 35 points, what else do you want? I can't believe this is even a topic. The defense has been losing games for us, let's not forget that obvious fact.Reesing is a junior and already has blasted past the previous KU passing leader, and he's done it winning more games than any other KU qb. He is the best ever. His name should be on KU's ring of honor already.

KU_Alumn_2000 5 years, 11 months ago

Alcart21 - You have a great point with Reesing having to match what our defense can't provide for the team. However...Bowen should be held accountable for two reasons. Not only does he have 9 returning starters from last year...the defense is failing to improve as the season progresses. It's obvious that we're not going to be a good defense...but it would be nice to at least see some improvement with time. Some of his situational scheming doesn't make sense and is completely ineffective.

Pbbut 5 years, 11 months ago

100% agreement, alcart. If he feels the pressure to score a TD on every possession, he's going to force throws.

alcart21 5 years, 11 months ago

I don't think Reesing's 10 interceptions are the problem with this team. He has to try and score a touchdown everytime we have the ball just to match what the defense is giving up. And I don't think Bowen is the problem. Where's the leadership in the lockeroom? Missed tackles. Missed assignments.

hawk_bred20 5 years, 11 months ago

I don't understand how some of you can really claim that Bowen needs to be gone after 1 season. Why does everyone keep saying that there are 9 returning starters?I wish I could find a list of the starters from the Nebraska game but I'm pretty sure it was Justin Thornton, Daymond Patterson, Stuckey, and Strozier instead of a secondary of Aqib Talib, Kendrick Harper, Chris Harris,Stuckey, and who was the other Safety last year, Resby?Well that secondary is totally different, the D-line wasn't even good last year! The D-line lost it's best player (McClinton) and so why would it be any better?I've said this before and I'll keep saying it....NFL Players DON'T GROW ON TREES. Aqib Talib was more valuable than any player on that defense last year and he shut down an entire side of the field. Because of this, it made everyone better and it made our defense much better.The other issue is that we didn't play but a few prolific offenses last season so our defense didn't get an opportunity to be exposed. Bill Young's defense 2 years ago was just as horendous when they went 6-6 and got lit up by Baylor! Quit whining about Bowen and realize taht we just aren't as good this season, Mangino and staff will get it figured out, though!

KUbsee69 5 years, 11 months ago

It would be interesting to see what KU's record would look like this year if we played the same schedule as last year. I think we'd have a lot more than 6 wins. It's hard for me to say, for sure, this year's team isn't "as good" as last years. It's just different from last year's. I think comparison of last year's record vs this year's record is an apples/oranges thing with this year's much tougher schedule.

Fred Davis 5 years, 11 months ago

KU just isn't as good this year as it was last year... The offensive line has been a work in progress, there's nobody to pair with Sharp running the ball and that Defense is atrocious...Like I've said before, let's take our 6-6 regular season - while I'd love to see us beat Mizzou, our defense is gonna get run ragged - go to a bowl game in Texas, and make a Nick Quartarro-like removal of Clint Bowen and bring in a new D-Coordinator in the off-season... I like Bowen, and I'm sure he's a great guy, but he's not getting it done...Rock Chalk

Francois 5 years, 11 months ago

I totally agree wxhawk. We certainly need to downgrade Reesing from his premature "best KU quarterback ever" label, but he's still a heck of a player.

esque 5 years, 11 months ago

It all comes down to upgrading the talent. Kansas is still sorely lacking in that regard and until it is addressed, KU fans, including me, will continue to have their hopes dashed come conference play.

rkstoops 5 years, 11 months ago

I still wouldn't trade Reesing for any other QB in the nation. I don't think anyone else could be so productive while running for his life back there.

wxhawk 5 years, 11 months ago

that first touchdown pass after receiving that shot...that's making a heck of a play. Todd wants to win, and risks are taken to win. He's just not as been as successful this year compared to last year.I can live with it.

Sparko 5 years, 11 months ago

Reesing's problems are that Kansas has been too predictable this year after half time. In the Tech game, that horrid Third Quarter ruined Reesing's and Kansas' season. But the earlier South Florida game foreshadowed the disasters to come. Kansas became impatient with the run, and blew a big lead against USF in the Third Quarter. Same thing last week. Same thing in Norman. Good teams are making adjustments on the Jayhawks this year. They may have broken the signal call codes from the sideline. I say let Reesing call the plays based on his sense of what the defensive schemes are and snap the ball much more quickly. No huddle is worthless when a team takes as long as Kansas is to get plays called. My Two-cents!

JayViking 5 years, 11 months ago

Reesing could throw 20 INTs a year and he'd still be MVP of the Hawks.

rasta_meta 5 years, 11 months ago

Another thing that bothers me is when coaches and fans constantly berate our current players both in the way they play and their talent level. They are college kids, the coaches are ones who should take the heat not the kids.

Brad Farha 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm still in awe of Reesing's huge TD pass in Lincoln. Watching him bear down and take a huge hit from the Conrhusker cornerback.....and somehow stay on his feet to find Meier for a TD pass. Incredible. That's a gutsy play, and I loved it. Sure I want more wins, but I'm still so proud of this team. I can't wait for Saturday!

KU 5 years, 11 months ago

All in all, we've continued to make progress this year......especially in terms of fan interest. There might have been one home game that had fewer than 50,000 in attendance. That is amazing. It has to be a record. Let's not give up! Everybody with tickets needs to show their true colors on Saturday, no matter HOW cold it is. Game-time temps are supposed to be in the mid 30s, but that's when TRUE football fans really turn out to support their team.Look for me. I'll be the one in blue.

rasta_meta 5 years, 11 months ago

JBurtin, just because Mangino supports his staff doesn't mean the staff is doing a good job. This is typical in football, many coaches get the support from their head coach even if they are not getting the job done. Mangino supported Nick Quartaro for 6 years and he wasn't getting the job done. Don't believe those fluff articles you read about Young and Bowen either. Young is not going to throw Bowen under the bus anymore than Mangino would.Also, I am so sick and tired of people talking about our youth on defense. For christ sake, we returned 19 or 20 from last years 2-deep. Basically, we returned 9 starters and every backup player from last year. They started playing more young guys later on in the season. I am sure that is because they weren't stopping anyone so might as well get them some experience anyway. Maybe the SENIOR linebackers aren't playing that well because they are not be put in good positions to make plays, did you ever think of that? Coming into the season, many people in the country were saying that we have one of the best linebacking units in the country and it has been anything but that. These guys have been pretty solid for 3 years, there were growing pains when they were younger, but they were really good last year. This year, they are never in position to make a play. You can blame the players all you want, but from looking at the film, it looks like a scheme problem to me.I do agree that we were not going to be world beaters on defense against teams like Oklahoma and Texas Tech, but we have had problems against everyone except K-State and we all know that they have coaching issues.

JBurtin 5 years, 11 months ago

That's really not hard to say at all, this year's team is not as good as last year's.Even when we've played some of the same lesser competition we have struggled. Last year's team would have blown them out.Bowen can't turn freshmen into seniors overnight or even over a season. Many of these 18 and 19 year olds simply aren't ready to take on 22 and 23 year olds.He's not going to get fired, so you might as well drop it. Mangino shows absolutely no interest in buying into that crap, and I'm pretty sure that a guy that won 6 coach of the year awards last year knows just a bit more than the pack of clowns on this board.People are acting like Mangino isn't even around at practice when the defense is there. I'm pretty sure the head coach is doing everything he can to help Bowen make up some clever schemes and is just as bamboozled as Bowen is. Bowen even talks to Bill Young on a regular basis and Young doesn't seem to have any magic wands either. Further, Steve Tovar's linebackers haven't been tackling well this year (never mind the fact that they're playing injured), should we fire him as well. Or how about Je'ney Jackson, he's got a slew of perfectly good inexperienced freshmen to work with. Surely with the cornerbacks combined 10 minutes of game experience this guy should be able to net us a National Championship, he must not be doing his job.Yep, firing all these people must be the answer because Clint Bowen refuses to run bump and run man coverage against superior athletes that will lay our cornerbacks flat on their butts and jog for an easy touchdown.Pretty sure there's a good reason the coaches are going with the coverage packages that they are. Also pretty sure that there's not a single person on this board that could have done what Mangino has done for this program.Questioning Bowen means that I have to question Mangino just as much. Considering the fact that he's the reigning coach of the year and I'm an armchair quarterback, I guess I'll trust his judgement.

Sparko 5 years, 11 months ago

I still say: Third Quarter. Almost all of Kansas' struggles are after half time. Offensively especially. You put the defense in a bind after three interceptions, for example. . .

Hawkish4bigM 5 years, 11 months ago

Todd will be back next year thank goodness. The competition should be Nebraska. If Mizzu loses Macklin and they have a new QB we should be able to take them and the rest of the North, although Iowa State is going to get better and better over the next two years because of all their young players. If Todd has a defense next year AND the running game comes around a little earlier maybe he will be able to relax a little. Next year should be a better season.

Hawkish4bigM 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm looking forward to see what Bill Snyder will do against the spread. Bet he doesn't play zone.

iamtoddreesing 5 years, 11 months ago

Hey guys, the reason I throw so many interceptions is because I'm not very big. To be honest I'm only 5'7" with my cleats on and my hair spiked. I'm like a 5'7" quarterback baby.

Cmill1221 5 years, 11 months ago

its ok todd. you have set like 18 school reccords dont worry you are doing fine.