Saturday, November 8, 2008

Bighorns pick Robinson

— Former Kansas University guard Russell Robinson was selected by the Reno (Nev.) Bighorns in the second round of Friday's NBA Development League draft. He was the only former KU player taken in the 10-round draft. Robinson is currently playing pro ball in Turkey.

Comments

ralsterKUMed95 6 years, 1 month ago

Hey, Im the last one to plug for Giddens, especially in the same discussion as our beloved Chalmers, but I heard he sorta developed some ball-handling and some defense to go along with that 6'5" size and sweet 3 shot. So I suppose the 'NBA potential' scouts had to beat the Giddens-drum? I watched half of 1 NewMexico game last season, and heard the announcers mention his improvement in those areas 'compared to when he was at KU'. Maybe getting kicked off the KU team turned him around?

ralsterKUMed95 6 years, 1 month ago

As always, my heart goes out to Russell Robinson. I hope he excels. What an example for the new kids to follow! Maybe he has polished the offensive skills (he came to KU with, but put on the shelf for the sake of the team--part of what almost caused him to transfer), since he has been playing serious ball in Europe since grad. LJW--thanks for printing this update on Russell!

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 1 month ago

If the "D" league is truly a developmental league for the NBA, Robinson should skate through the pack and not end up a career "D'" leaguer. The cream will rise to the top. After all, he wasn't exactly on anybody's radar screen for the regular league draft. I feel like most of our guys who were drafted there, were under-valued compared to higher picks in general, especially Arthur. RusRob will just have to seperate from the pack and become the golden boy that we all know him as.

jaybate 6 years, 1 month ago

The second round? Of the D-League?This is an insult to a fine player.Surely Larry Brown will find a place for this guy. Or the Heat after seeing what Chalmers can do. My, GOD! He is just as good of ball handler and defender as Chalmers. If Chalmers could get 9 steals in an NBA game, RR would get 10. No, he hasn't got the great trinity that Chalmers has, but some one in the NBA has to wake up!! If not RR, come back to KU and coach for a year or two for Self, go assist with Roberts, or Janks for a year, and start prepping to be KU's coach some day.

tomike 6 years, 1 month ago

Larry Brown chose Augustine instead of Chalmers.

Kusportsshould Notrequirethis 6 years, 1 month ago

The Heat got a steal with Mario in the second round. They have the best rookie PG in the league and only have to pay him $700,000 this year. Man...I wish I was taller.......and athletic.....and.....could play basketball.

Dan Pawlowski 6 years, 1 month ago

For those even considering that Giddens should have been drafted ahead of Mario....http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/rookies/rankings? season=2009&playerRankingType=1&period=1&set=2

JayCeph 6 years, 1 month ago

Since Robinson is already playing in Europe, would be obliged to come back and play for the D-League when his current season is over? I'm not so certain...