Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Dugan Arnett’s KU football notebook

Audio clips

2008 Nov. 4 KU football

Branstetter impresses with tackling

At a tiny 5-foot-10 and 175 pounds, Kansas University placekicker Jacob Branstetter is not expected to be his team's on-field enforcer.

Apparently, however, no one has shared this fact with him.

In a 52-21 victory over Kansas State on Saturday, Branstetter did his best Brian Urlacher impression, tearing down-field after kickoffs and making three tackles - a couple of which appeared to be touchdown-saving. It was enough to earn the team's special teams player of the week honors, and enough to make Kansas coach Mark Mangino issue a warning to the other members of his team's kickoff coverage unit.

"I told the kickoff coverage unit he better not make a tackle the rest of the season, or I'm going to be ticked," Mangino said.

Branstetter, who missed the first part of the season while an eligibility issue was being handled, is 8-for-11 on field goals this season. But he has drawn the most attention from teammates for the intense nature with which he goes after opposing kick returners.

"He just comes flying in," linebacker James Holt said. "He's almost down there with half the people after he kicks it. He's saved a lot of kickoff returns for us, so I'm pretty glad he goes flying down there like that."

And it's not just in games. Branstetter approaches practices like a he's auditioning for a job with the World Wrestling Entertainment, too.

"We start practice everyday on defense with tackling circuit, and he tackles better than some of the guys that have been in the circuit all year long," Mangino said. "He gets his pads down, he wraps up. So who knows? If we have some problems at safety or something, we might put him in there.

"I don't know if he can cover anybody, but I think he can probably make a tackle."

MU-KU matchup still under discussion

KU associate athletics director Jim Marchiony said Tuesday that Kansas and Missouri have not yet decided whether to extend their contract to play the annual KU-MU game at Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium.

Kansas senior associate athletics director Larry Keating has previously said the decision whether to continue to play in K.C. likely would be made toward the end of this season.

The final game in a two-year series contract, scheduled for Nov. 29, will kick off at 11:30 a.m. and be broadcast on FSN.

Comments

GridironHawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree with Troutsee.... Although the game being at Arrowhead might have cost us last year it could help us this year. I live in STL and have no problem driving the extra two hours past Columbia to get to KC. Columbia is a dump, as I think most KU fans will agree, and I will never watch another game there. At least the game at Arrowhead allows me to watch it live every year. However, I wish they would vertically split the fans like most bowl games do (split at the endzone) rather than the horizontal split (Split on 50 yard line.. All MU fans in one endzone). The horizontal split gives one team an advantage if most the game is played on one side...

William James 8 years, 7 months ago

Anyway about the article, I got a kick out of Brandstetter in Ames. As everyone knows we were losing 20-0 at half. In the 3d qtr we had cut the lead to 20-14, ISU had the ball, and Brandstetter walked over to our corner holding his helmet and elevated his hands up and down for us to get loud. I remember being a bit surprised because of all players it was the kicker getting us fired up.

siltom 8 years, 7 months ago

Why in the world would you bring the President elect into a conversation about a Football game?!? Stick to FB.

troutsee 8 years, 7 months ago

My Arrowhead experience last year was horrible. However, having it at Arrowhead really gives us another "home" game when the game is scheduled to be in Columbia, and believe me, I'd rather go to Arrowhead to see the game than endure Columbia.

oldalum 8 years, 7 months ago

I think they were talking about increasing ticket prices at home so it wouldn't be necessary to go to a neutral site.

KU 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm not for raising ticket prices except for maybe the Family Zone. We would only see the attendance at home decline if we did raise the prices. Selling out the stadium is an important step in growing the football program. Until we "arrive", we need to keep ticket prices reasonable. I think having the MU game at Arrowhead is good for our athletic department.

Cmill1221 8 years, 7 months ago

Does it not bug you that mu NEVER plays KU in Kansas? I HATE THAT! I hate the state of missouri and i sure as hell dont want to spend my money there and sure as hell not my TIME. MAKE THEM COME BACK TO KANSAS! FORGET ARROWHEAD!!

John Mueller 8 years, 7 months ago

Please bring this game back to campus. It's college football, it does NOT belong in Arrowhead. If we need more money, ask Kivisto oops, raise ticket prices but keep this game on campus!There has to be better ways to capture the same dollars.Maybe we can get it from the government. I assume KU doesn't pay taxes which means you should be in line for a hefty (tax credit) from the President - elect.

Rick Arnoldy 8 years, 7 months ago

When you start paying the players like employees you can move it to a pro stadium. Oops, guess that still rules out Arrowhead.

d_prowess 8 years, 7 months ago

Does anyone know what places in Lawrence might be buying the game?

LakeShawnee 8 years, 7 months ago

Agreed, the game should be left in Arrowhead. I'm sure that it only helps with recruiting when you can tell kids that they will play at least one game in an NFL stadium each year.If we return this game to campus, during KU's home years everyone will simply leave at halftime. How does that help our program?As for the financial aspect, I'm sure raising ticket prices will help generate more money for those years that are KU's "home" year at Arrowhead, but what about the year we are "away." The Arrowhead game guarantees around $1 million for EACH year, not just the school's respective "home" year. I don't think you can raise the ticket prices enough to makeup for that second year's million dollars. I recall an article from a couple of years ago that said KU Athletics brought in $700,000 from the last time MU visited Lawrence. What is better: $700,000 over two years playing the game on campus or ~$2,000,000 over two years playing at Arrowhead and guaranteeing recruits that they'll be able to play at an NFL stadium at least one time per year?

Cody Stumma 8 years, 7 months ago

Just for the record, when a game is played on Neutral ground, ticket sales are split 50%, so increasing ticket prices really doesn't help too much...

Dyrk Dugan 8 years, 7 months ago

the fact that it's not a done deal yet, shows that the pressure is on. it would be have to be REALLY worth our while (a.k.a big $$$) for us to keep the game at Arrowhead. and if it's been like the last two years, then the dollars aren't worth it.Get it back to campus, and let's be done with it. It's much more fun to kick their tails at KU, then anywhere else.

JBurtin 8 years, 7 months ago

Fill our own stadium.Expand it when it becomes necessary.Problem solved.Our crowd was loud and made a huge difference against K-State last week. I'd rather have Missouri have to play in that environment every other year, than to never have to play in it.Not to mention, the Arrowhead game just wasn't very much fun. Even the tailgating experience was ruined by the constant nuisance of classless Missouri fans, hour long lines at porta potties, and a generally uninspiring environment.Who really wants to go to a game every year and wonder whether their car is going to still have windows by the time they come out? I don't have the money to buy new tires, windows, or a new paint job for my car when it gets vandalized.Missouri's fans were already insufferable after the game last year. Imagine how obnoxious they would have been if they had lost. I could see the environment getting downright dangerous.I was all for the experiment, but I just don't see that money is a big enough draw to make it worthwhile. Simply winning more games per year will bring the money and make a game like this unecessary. Texas and Oklahoma don't get good recruits because they play ONE game a year in an NFL stadium. They get the recruits because they win a ton of games and their players go on to play MANY games in NFL stadiums.Marchiony has already gone out of his way to ruin the tailgating environment here at KU by charging $20 per car to park clear the hell across campus. If we're not careful, his greed is going to ruin our opportunity to finally get this program out of the dumps for good.

Cody Stumma 8 years, 7 months ago

ROFL...Nice Ohioburg.I think its appropriate for Arrowhead... these past two years, the game to get into the Big 12 Championship has come down to this one. Plus it gives the game more national spotlight.

Lance Hobson 8 years, 7 months ago

JB did have a great tackle that saved a TD. That must have been tough to swallow for that KState kick returner.

Alan Halvorsen 8 years, 7 months ago

Keep it in arrowhead. National attention.

William James 8 years, 7 months ago

Keep the border howdown on the border.**Assuming we address the issues of last year. Such as not letting anyone tailgate until a couple hours before.