Saturday, May 31, 2008

Arthur tells media he’s headed to NBA

Kansas University's Darrell Arthur (00) hangs on the rim after powering home a dunk against Eastern Washington. Arthur had 15 points in the Jayhawks' 85-47 blowout at Allen Fieldhouse in this file photo.

KU sophomore forward Darrell Arthur's college career is over. Arthur has decided to keep his name in the upcoming NBA Draft.

Kansas University power forward Darrell Arthur told reporters at the NBA pre-draft camp Friday that he has played his last game at KU.

Arthur, who is projected by many as a lottery pick in the draft, told Yahoo! Sports and Florida reporters that he would hire an agent next week.

The 6-foot-9, 225-pounder, who just completed his sophomore year at KU, said he has individual workouts scheduled for the New Jersey Nets (June 4) and Charlotte Bobcats (June 6).

KU coach Bill Self said Friday he had not spoken with Arthur, but was not surprised by his decision to hire an agent and remain in the draft.

"We've anticipated this happening since last August," Self said. "It's not news to us at all. I think it's good. Everybody knew 'Shady' would stay in."

Arthur's high school coach, South Oak Cliff's James Mays, said he had no idea which agent Arthur would tap.

"Some lucky guy," Mays said, laughing.

"I assumed it was headed this way. It looked like Darrell's draft position was in the area he wanted it to be," added Mays, who, like KU coach Self, has heard reports Arthur is a lock for the lottery (top 14 picks first round).

"I think this is good because it'll benefit Darrell and his family. That's the most important thing to him - his family."

Mays said he was still planning to take legal action against a former South Oak Cliff math teacher who accused Mays and the former school principal of changing Arthur's failing math grades to passing marks.

"It's in the hands of the lawyers," Mays said. "It's the principle of the matter. This shouldn't happen to a bad kid, much less a good one like Darrell."

He said Arthur likely would take legal action against the former math teacher sometime after the June 26 NBA Draft.

Mays is confident a school district investigation ultimately will prove the math teacher's charges were unfounded.

"There was some positive feedback the other day on reports we were trying to get. Without saying too much, this is a no-brainer. It should not be a problem," Mays said.

Arthur commented on the grade flap Friday at the camp.

"It's been pretty rough," he said of the last few weeks. "I'm just trying to keep my mind focused on the task ahead of me. It kind of caught me off guard. I'm not even trying to think about that right now."

Comments

Greg Woolen 11 years, 6 months ago

I don't know how anyone could be surprised. I would've been more surprised if he had come back than I would have been waking up with my face sewn to the carpet.

nameer 11 years, 6 months ago

man all you guys that didn't catch the sarcasm are fools

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 6 months ago

I'm stunned!!!! I don't know what to say.

Chris Weaver 11 years, 6 months ago

what's next? joe dooley taking a head coaching job? the unthinkable has happened. i'm not taking anything for granted.

cpjayhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Sarcasm doesn't work well on a comment log.

rockchalk80 11 years, 6 months ago

who would have thought this could happen?

Matt Kenton 11 years, 6 months ago

Just when you think someone is going to be here four years... poof! Gone. I can't take any more surprises. I'm going to start following some other KU men's sport... maybe Tennis or Swimming & Diving.

Dan Harris 11 years, 6 months ago

I just can't believe he's gone! Oh well we will always have our memories.

agraves 11 years, 6 months ago

why are you people surprised? Arthur had the dream that he won a NC with KU...that's why he choose KU...he did that...now a lottery pick worth millions? I do not know why anyone would be surprised...way to go Shady...best of luck in the nba...make us proud!!!

63Jayhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Agraves, can't you see the tongue in the cheek?

stujayhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Any projections as to Shady's pro team?ALSO,whatever happened to Ater Majok?

tis4tim 11 years, 6 months ago

"Yes, I'm coming out," Arthur said in Orlando, Fla., referring to staying in the draft.Good thing Gary clarified what Arthur meant by that, because otherwise nobody would have known he was talking about the draft...Not that there's anything wrong with that.

cpjayhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

You all can't be serious about being 'surprised.' Do you really follow the Jayhawks as of late let alone college basketball. Most of us don't like the fact that these students can leave but it's the harden facts, they can and they will continue. I for one think it's unfortunate but that's the way it goes. Be thankful that we have them for the time we do and then be excited that they are proud to have spent time at KU and are now representing us in the league.

hometownhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

agraves and cpjayhawk are hereby banned from any and all postings on KUSports.com due to severe lack of sense of humor and common sense.

bryan123456789 11 years, 6 months ago

i am happy we got 2 years out of him, i think he is going to be very good in the nba, i think some rich KU alumn should start their own NBA team and put all the former KU players on it. I wonder how good they would be.

Chris Weaver 11 years, 6 months ago

shady goes to charlotte to be coached by bill self mentor - larry brownany takers?

Matt Kenton 11 years, 6 months ago

What!?!?!? They cancelled the men's tennis, swimming, and diving programs eight years ago?!?! Arghh!!!Get it?... no more surprises? (crickets chirping...)

ralsterKUMed95 11 years, 6 months ago

Speaking of going to Charlotte "to be coached by..."--Now we can add "a top high school recruit goes to UNC to be coached by another Bill Self 'student': Roy Williams..."