Friday, May 30, 2008

Arthur definitely not returning to KU

Kansas University power forward Darrell Arthur told reporters at the NBA pre-draft camp on Friday that he has played his last basketball game at KU.

Arthur, who is projected as a lottery pick in the draft, told Yahoo! Sports and Miami reporters that he would choose an agent next week.

"Yes, I'm coming out," Arthur said in Orlando, Fla., referring to definitely staying in the draft.

He said he has individual workouts scheduled next week for New Jersey and Charlotte.

KU coach Bill Self said Friday afternoon he was not surprised by Arthur's decision to hire an agent and remain in the draft.

"We've anticipated this happening since last August," Self said. "It's not news to us at all. I think it's good. Everybody knew 'Shady' would stay in."

Comments

rockchalk80 11 years, 6 months ago

Congrats to Arthur! and thank you for the memories...His ceiling is quite high - I am sure we'll hear a lot about DA in the coming years.

cobweb 11 years, 6 months ago

He may suck at math but he figured out that a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.

Mo Golany 11 years, 6 months ago

We're reloading anyways so thats alot Darell for a great 2 years at KU and can't wait to see the new guys come in and take over! Mario please come back!!! You can be in the lottery next year if you stay!!!

chicagoeddie 11 years, 6 months ago

jaybate, if you look at our team we didnt need so many all stars like unc and other schools had. coach self put good players and made the team awesome! i love the recruits that picks and watch how they work together in the coming years! rock chalk!

Mo Mosallaei 11 years, 6 months ago

I'm a little disappointed from a selfish point of view, but not at all shocked. Thanks for helping us accomplish what we did, and thanks for schooling Dorsey. Good luck in the NBA, and do the Jayhawks proud.

smitty33 11 years, 6 months ago

I was hard on DA this year for his inconsistency and wanting to take over when he shouldn't have. HOWEVER, he delivered when it counted!!! Thanks DA!! We look forward to seeing you again at Allen for Reunions! That said, the NBA sucks.

b1afide 11 years, 6 months ago

Shady,So happy you had that dream 3 years back of playing at KU and not Baylor. Turned out to be a good dream for all of us.Good luck

jayhawkliz 11 years, 6 months ago

Good Luck Darrell. I will enjoy following you in the NBA as I do all the former players! Be safe and use good judgement! All Jayhawkers appreciate you and are darn happy you played for KU!

bryan123456789 11 years, 6 months ago

MARIO WILL NEVER BE A LOTTERY PICK!!!! why do people on he constantly say that? he is good and may be better than some of the guards who will be drafted in the lottery this year, but he isnt going to grow to 6'4 and he isnt going to play PG at KU even if he did come back next year. Give it up guys. dont get me wrong i love mario, but you guys are foolish to think that.

Chris Weaver 11 years, 6 months ago

something i liked about shady -he was a very highly touted recruit - and without the newly instituted one year rule the NBA put into place - there would have been a possibility that DA would have jumped straight to the association. that being said - DA was a great freshman, that didn't complain about PT or touches. he sat the bench and watched JU JU, sasha and darnell get their minutes. he bided his time, learned the system, and never complained.this year he showed great upside, remarkable improvement, and seemed by all accounts to be a great teammate. lets not forget that in the world of "me first" recruits, Darrell Arthur put his team first.good luck and make us proud.

kansaspike 11 years, 6 months ago

I can't believe DA hit that long jumper with 2:00 to go!!!

fundamental 11 years, 6 months ago

This can't be a shock to anybody. He's been projected as a solid no. 10-17 in the first round. No reason to come back when there's a guaranteed contract sitting there for him.

jaybate 11 years, 6 months ago

Interesting that KU is not even on Antonio Williams list of 2009 recruiting classes, but KSU is, with two DC Assault AAUers. UNC and Illini top the list with four commits each in the '09 class.Recruiting is insane.

Joe Ross 11 years, 6 months ago

I like the comments here, expressing warm sentiments! There are times when Jayhawk "nation" seems to come together and be of one mind. It appears DA's sendoff will be a good one, full of gratitude and appreciation. As it should be. We couldn't have had the season we did without Darrell Arthur, high point man for the season (I believe) and for the championship game. Thanks for bringing it to us!

Robert Brock 11 years, 6 months ago

Won't his ninth grade Algebra I grade knock him out of the first round?

SWHawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Brock, I heard James Mays Jr. wants to be DA's agent. You know, the 'ol "I scratched your grade, errr back" thingy.

Mike Blur 11 years, 6 months ago

Congrats Shady and hopes for an injury-free, productive career. Thanks for the once (er, twice) in a lifetime memories!

DSommersby 11 years, 6 months ago

Best wishes and good luck DA! I appreciate your play for the Hawks, and all your help bringing home a Championship! I hope to see you have a long and prosperous career in the NBA. I think you have another couple of gears in your game you can reach as you are a young player and still learning your way out there even if you are dunking on people as you learn! :) No problem with you leaving if the time is right for you. I think you can crank it up another couple notches and you will make some nice contracts as your career goes.

KUfball 11 years, 6 months ago

Best of luck Darrell, I hope you continue to improve and blossom into the player we all know you can be!

bryan123456789 11 years, 6 months ago

MARIO WILL NEVER BE A LOTTERY PICK!!!! why do people on he constantly say that? here is good and may be better than some of the guards who will be drafted in the lottery this year, but he isnt going to grow to 6'4 and he isnt going to play PG at KU even if he did come back next year. Give it up guys. dont get me wrong i love mario, but you guys are foolish to think that.

Robert Brock 11 years, 6 months ago

Hey, jhwkfan162515 - I was just kidding, idiot. I am from Dallas and I was really offended by WFAA's maliscious report. Got it?

NH_JHawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Way to go DA. We've enjoyed watching you play and helping us win the NC. Represent KU well in the league! Hope to catch you in Boston soon!

sevenyearhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Sad ... and difficult to understand for someone who was at KU for seven years, but ...Thanks and good luck, Mr. Arthur!! :D

bryan123456789 11 years, 6 months ago

MARIO WILL NEVER BE A LOTTERY PICK!!!! why do people on here constantly say that? here is good and may be better than some of the guards who will be drafted in the lottery this year, but he isnt going to grow to 6'4 and he isnt going to play PG at KU even if he did come back next year. Give it up guys. dont get me wrong i love mario, but you guys are foolish to think that.

Dan Pawlowski 11 years, 6 months ago

bryan123456789,The reason why your post showed 3 times is because youare a moron.PS. You are not an NBA Scout or can see the future either.

killabees 11 years, 6 months ago

Thanks for everything Arthur! We were lucky to have you. I hope you go high in the lottery, and I look forward to watching you tear it up in the league next year.

bryan123456789 11 years, 6 months ago

sorry guys no idea why that posted 3 times

Kevin Millikan 11 years, 6 months ago

Here's hoping the twins qualify soon! Good luck DA, you are forever a Jayhawk, and Jayhawk Nation appreciates you!

chicagoeddie 11 years, 6 months ago

oh yea and we got the top second recruiting class coming in after a national championship~ =)