Thursday, May 29, 2008

White House to honor Jayhawks Tuesday

The Kansas Jayhawks go wild with jubilation following the Jayhawks National Championship win over Memphis Monday, April 7, 2008 at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

Bill Self was impressed with the focus of Kansas University's basketball players on their postseason trips to Omaha, Detroit and San Antonio.

"You can ask our guys ... they didn't have any fun at all," KU's fifth-year coach said of time spent outside of Qwest Center, Ford Field and the Alamodome, where the Jayhawks went 6-0 en route to the 2008 NCAA title.

"It was all business," Self added.

Self was happy to report there would be absolutely no business to conduct on the final road trip of the 2007-08 season - next week's junket to Washington, D.C., where the national champs/nation's capital tourists on Tuesday will be honored by the president of the United States.

"Bill wants the guys to get a chance to see as much as possible in two days," KU senior associate athletic director Larry Keating said.

The Jayhawks' traveling party of 70 (players, coaches, support staff and family members) will fly charter Monday morning out of Topeka. The group will visit Walter Reed Army Medical Center on Monday afternoon and take a bus tour of Washington, D.C. on Monday night.

The Jayhawks will be honored by President Bush at 9 a.m. Central time, Tuesday, in the Rose Garden of the White House. Lunch is on tap at the Supreme Court Building, where some of the justices will meet the champs. A tour of Capitol Hill and meeting with Kansas' legislative delegation will follow, and the Jayhawks will head home via charter Tuesday night.

"Everybody's excited about going," Keating said, adding, "there's not been much red tape. We had to provide names and Social Security numbers of everybody. It's been a fairly simple process."

The process might be one President Bush winds up enjoying as well.

"I'm sure the team will present him with a shirt or something," Keating said.

Comments

Mo Mosallaei 11 years, 6 months ago

Timmay97 11 years, 6 months ago

If the Jayhawks have a few days to actually enjoy one trip that they take.......shouldn't it be Hawaii, not Washington D.C.? :-) Why can't Bush just meet them on Maui?

Alan Braun 11 years, 6 months ago

kushaw, that would be incredibly tacky. Let them enjoy the occasion, especially Sasha who can go back & tell his old friends in Siberia where he's been! Congrats on a fantastic season, enjoy the moment & get autographs for your kids.

William James 11 years, 6 months ago

txrockchalk-fabio is definately back! We dont play south of the Red this year so are you gonna come up for the Texas game?

peter56321 11 years, 6 months ago

Lighten up rcaltrider. kushaw was clearly joking. This board is so sensitive!

sevenyearhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

you know ... if they gave W a KU jersey with the number zero, that'd be pretty damned funny! :D***For some logistical reason the Tampa Bay Bucs never got their visit to the White House ... I know players griped about it and it bothered some fans for years!

JayCeph 11 years, 6 months ago

If politics were meant to be left out of this scenario, then there would be no reason to visit the White House... the cradle of politics in today's landscape of political theater."To blame all these problems on one man is cowardly and shortsighted." I wonder if the same could be said about (and for) Saddam Hussein, Joseph Stalin, Kim Jong Il, etc...Nevertheless, this is a great opportunity and our Jayhawks should be proud. Congrats again fellas~

sevenyearhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

well ... it certainly didn't take this thread long, did it?

William Cormode 11 years, 6 months ago

Fabio - Legalized abortion is one of Americas biggest problem? Are you serious?You should become a teacher and try and teach the kids who will be in school when abortions become illegal and their parents are so awful that the kids can barely put one foot in front of the other.

Eric Bernauer 11 years, 6 months ago

Fabio, the biggest problem facing Kansas is Kansas basketball? The biggest war we faced in four decades began before this President? I'd like to hear more of your well thought out opinions. Please feel free to explain them in detail. I'll go look for a copy of the Battle Hymn of the Republic to listen to while I read your ideas. No, really.

sevenyearhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

... or show the president your buttocks!!

CasperCorps 11 years, 6 months ago

The article was on meeting the President and seeing the White House, doesn't that mean people are going to comment on oh....... the article?... Its not like the article was about new recruits and somebody brought up the President, thats what it was about!!! Saddam Hussein Oboma, Stalin, or Kim Jon Illin will always be remembered as tyrants... Bush, on the other hand, will be remembered for not putting up with other countries sh**...

JayhawkPurist 11 years, 6 months ago

Anyone know where the team will be staying in DC?

peter56321 11 years, 6 months ago

The Soprano's was a great television show. That doesn't mean I think it should be on Nickelodeon. Likewise, I am VERY interested in politics and follow the issues closely. That doesn't mean I want to read about them on KUsports.com. Let's TRY to stay on subject. I congratulate and am happy (and a little envious) of our Jayhawks. I just wonder which Supreme Court justices they will be meeting. Thomas loves basketball and he, Ginsburg, Roberts, Souter, and Scalia all have ties to KU of varying degrees.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 6 months ago

If I was a player I would ask the President this one very important question, "Mr. President, what do you really think of former Press Secretary Scott McClellan?

hometownhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

I am in no way bashing your opinion, Casper, but who is Oboma?

rcaltrider 11 years, 6 months ago

kushaw--fortunately for all of us, the players have more class than you apparently do, so that won't happen. Some people just can't keep their politics out of it, ridiculous.

rockchalkAZ 11 years, 6 months ago

you guys are a bunch of toolbags for talking about politics on here. lame. no one cares. ok i know some people care, but this isn't the place for it. that is all

jahoward77 11 years, 6 months ago

I wonder if they will take the time during lunch to hoop it up with the Justices. There is a basketball court in the Supreme Court building.

Bob Zielinski 11 years, 6 months ago

it would be funny/fitting if the team presented bush with a missouri basketball shirt since the president seems hell bent on making the US a slave state. this is just a joke so please refrain from the previous "classy fans" or "bush is a patriotic fine man" responses. don't respond at all, just look up a web site on how to take a joke or meditation.

frompekka2sasha 11 years, 6 months ago

actorman- You are an idiot who should move to Canada. Pleaaaaaase???? I will personally give you a ride.

11 years, 6 months ago

fabio - last year, it was your, "Who cares. It's football season." comment on a basketball article that endeared yourself to fellow posters. This year, it's your political repartee. It's good to see you are still diligently making friends! :o)

WilburNether 11 years, 6 months ago

It does not matter who happens to be in the White House at any particular time; it's about being honored by the President of the United States. This will be a great event for the guys, and people who feel compelled to inject their politics into it can f-off.

hometownhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Article doesn't say if any of the 6 draft hopefuls will not be able to make it. I know Mario has been in Indy and the seniors in Orlando, but hopefully they all convene for this.

William James 11 years, 6 months ago

hometownhawk-When did I say that? I said if he dosent like me giving my opinion he can move to a country where guys like me cant give thier opinion. Please try to keep up. JayCeph-Because you dont agree with a guys politics dosent mean he deserves to be compared to Stalin and Hussein. Besides being ruthless dictators and quite insane, they were both in charge for several decades.

Eric Bernauer 11 years, 6 months ago

Dang, I wish you had more time,I'm sure you're well practiced at lecturing others. I'm doubly impressed that you know my opinion on global terrorism since I haven't stated it. Kinda spooky. To others out there, let this be an example of what happens when we cut mental health funding.

hometownhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

So fabio you're saying you're free to make your statements, and if anyone disagrees with them, they can move out of this country. That's not ignorant at all.And sevenyearhawk, I agree there shouldn't be nepotism in government, but I'm pretty sure John Adams was our second president and John Quincy Adams was our sixth. Doesn't get much more "founding fathers" than that.

William James 11 years, 6 months ago

BPSkelly-Your right, it shows that I care about something other than basketball. I know many Kansans dont like to deal with issues anymore serious than Kansas Basketball, which in my opinion is the biggest problem the State of Kansas faces today. This is a democracy though. Whatever the setting, if I see someone making ignorant or cowardly statements regarding the president, I am going to call them out. If you dont like that you can feel free to move to a country where people like me cant give thier opinions.

BCRavenJHawkfan 11 years, 6 months ago

Wow, from these comments I feel like I might see these Jayhawks on Hardball or O'Rielly.For me DC was an eye opening place to visit, you get to see the full spectrum from the White House and Capital, the monuments and memorials (Lincoln and Viet Nam very impressive), to the homeless putting up their cardboard shacks on the subway ventilation grates at night.

sevenyearhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

I'll offer this final political thought:The Founders of this country did not intend for generations of families to be in control of the government, one of the many reasons they left England, and also why George Washington did not want to be appointed "king" ...Whether it is the Kennedys or the Bushes ... they've all been in power long enough!I admire a man like Truman who returned to Missouri and worked his farm with a mule ...

Kevin Sontag 11 years, 6 months ago

Regardless of politics, Bush is just a flat out idiot. If I met him, I think I'd knock on his head a few times and say Hello, McFly? Anyone home? ... Of course, I'd get my butt kicked by Secret Service, but I think it would be worth it :) Enjoy the spoils, victorious Jayhawks!

rawkhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

I certainly have opinions about our leader, but i appreciate all the posts about leaving politics out of this. Sports and KU basketball are major reasons I can still talk to my father. If we start talking politics, forget it. While I think there are merits to folks to having opinions on local, national, and global issues (which in my experience as a Kansan there was never a shortage of educated opinionated folks), there are also merits to having non-political things to follow such as sports, weather, music and the like. The president's the president, for better or for worse, and I'm very proud of the team to have this opportunity. I deal with enough strife and conflict in my day-to-day affairs, and I'm thankful for this website and the Jayhawks to take to a break from it all on occasion. Congratulations Jayhawks!

William James 11 years, 6 months ago

The multiple problems America faces in this country like legalized abortion, outrageous gas prices, and the biggest war we've been in in 4 decades are all problems that began way before this president took office. All these problems could of been avoided if they would of been dealt with decades ago, instead of being ignored and now it has all come to a head at the same time. This country has been extremely neglegent and irresponsible over the last few decades and this president is doing the best he can with what we have givin him. To blame all these problems on one man is cowardly and shortsighted.I wish I could go with the team to meet this fine man and patriot.

frompekka2sasha 11 years, 6 months ago

Congratulations, Hawks! I hope you treat everyone with the utmost respect and are able to put political differences aside.What an honor to visit the White House! I miss the days when people considered the Presidency more of an office and not a man. We have become a very disrespectful nation and it's unfortunate to hear everyone bash our President whether it be Carter, Reagan, Clinton or Bush- as if they are even qualified or know what the real story is behind the curtains. One of these days our country may struggle like our grandparents or great-grandparents did and this younger generation may have to decide between keeping their cell phone or having something to eat. I'm assuming that will actually be a tough decision in this spoiled, spoiled nation. The more spoiled we seem to get, the more disrespectful. Sad.

sevenyearhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

It will no doubt be a once in a lifetime experience for them ...and hey, just one more thing to hold over the heads of our Feline Friends, and another opportunity to promote our fine University and Athletic Department!!!! :D

KGphoto 11 years, 6 months ago

I'm with thetagger. Knock his block off!!And I'll inject my funking politics anywhere I please!! If you think politics shouldn't be included in this conversation, you're probably a big reason America is in this mess!!I say, "Act classy" Hawks. But somebody stick your gum under a presidential table before you leave. Oh, and give ol' G.W. the bunny ears in the team photo.

Dick Murdock 11 years, 6 months ago

Fabio, Are you nuts? I'm so happy they get to be honored at the White House no matter whose son of an idiot president it is.

Chris Shaw 11 years, 6 months ago

rcaltrider: Lighten up a little bit dude! Have you ever heard of sarcasm? I guess not! LMAO

Brian Skelly 11 years, 6 months ago

Arent there thousands of sites/blogs where people can rail about they're politics and the problems facing our country?Keep it on those boards fellas. And if you cant that says more about you than anyone else.Im sure it'll be an experience they'll never forget, and I for one think its great for them and the program.They should embrace the moment. Not shun it. Regardless of they're politics.

Lance Hobson 11 years, 6 months ago

Timmay97, excellent suggestion!! The Jayhawks definitely should come to Hawaii! I will make sure they all get leid, it will be great! It's much nicer here than DC, I know for a fact since I was just in DC.

Jason Sinclair 11 years, 6 months ago

from Fabio: "I know many Kansans dont like to deal with issues anymore serious than Kansas Basketball, which in my opinion is the biggest problem the State of Kansas faces today. "Yeah, Kansas is in a world of hurt. It's amazing that the sun even comes up each morning with all the terrible issues/crises this state is facing. I agree, basketball is the root of it all. We need more tennis fans, that would make Kansas the perfect state!

frompekka2sasha 11 years, 6 months ago

ramkhawk- Props for your post. One of these days as you grow older you may understand your father's opinions and may even change your own. I'm not an old guy or anything but the many of the things you believe when you are in your 20's drastically change when you are in your 30's. Not always. Just sometimes.I agree that is only an issue of sports. I still can't believe we are going 2008 National Champions!!

lee3022 11 years, 6 months ago

To the victors belong the spoils and this trip to Washington DC is a once in a lifetime opportunity for these folks to enjoy together. For all those who kept this to basketball - thank you. There are many other forums for political thought.

Tim Orel 11 years, 6 months ago

With the probable next President, the KU team can not only go meet with the President, but they'll also likely hold a pick-up game. At least that happened at UNC and one of the service academies (think it was Air Force).

11 years, 6 months ago

rawkhawk I have the same issue with my parents, so I know how you feel. I am no spring chicken either.Fabio welcome back (with a bang!)! Right now, I am looking at being there for the home opener, Texas Tech, Kansas State, and Misery games. I will probably have to watch the tu game on TV. Will you be there for all home games again with J_D alongside?

William James 11 years, 6 months ago

waymilky-You misunderstood me, the biggest problem with Kansas, in my opinion, is people not caring about serious issues.Your opinion that the global war on terrorism didnt begin until September 11, 2001 is, well inaccurate. For me to lecture you on this war from the beginning would take hours and Im not gonna do it.

digitalkookie 11 years, 6 months ago

fabio...to call bush a "fine man" (your words) is shortsighted...i am not even going to go into your other points and opinions concerning this ridiculous administration.in other matters...all the best to the hawks, and congratulations again on a fine season!!!!

sevenyearhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Regardless of your politics, an opportunity to visit the White House and meet the President (and a few Justices) is just incredible!!Congratulations, gentlemen ...

Joe Ross 11 years, 6 months ago

This is why sports and politics should never be mixed in threads.I think it's great that the Hawks get to go to DC. I dont care who the Prez is at the time. The point is, it's an honor to be recognized by the leader of the free world.I have my own political agenda but I dont wish to share it with any of you. Id appreciate likewise...

frompekka2sasha 11 years, 6 months ago

waymilky- Thanks. I can give you a ride as well.And anyone who posts on a "sports message board" thinking he's getting through to someone politically is, indeed, an IDIOT. This all started with someone bashing the President over a White House trip to recognize the TEAM for winning the Nat'l Championship. How freaking dumb is it to bash a trip to the White House? It's not about our President. It's about our team's accomplishment. I would say the President has very, very little to do with the premise of this trip, he will be gone in a year and yet the White House will remain. Hate Bush all you want but this is about giving credit to our team. Lighten up, Francis!

Eric Bernauer 11 years, 6 months ago

It amazes me that conservatism is supposed to be based upon upholding the Constituion but is completely ignored by conservatives."You are an idiot who should move to Canada."There is a well thought out response. I guess this person thinks everyone must agree with him or should move. It is pretty obvious most people don't feel the President has done a good job. It would be interesting to see a country where everybody did agree with this fella. I'm guessing it would be sparse both in population and intelluctually.

frompekka2sasha 11 years, 6 months ago

actorman 11 years, 6 months ago

It's sad and pathetic how stupid people can be. According to brain-dead, Hitler youth like jhwkfan and frompekka, the "president" should have the right to completely ignore the U.S. constitution, torture whoever he feels like, even if they've been proven to be innocent, manufacture reasons to go to war and butcher hundreds of thousands of people, and declare unilaterally which laws he's going to follow. And of course if anyone dares to question any of that, they should move out of the country. Yep, you guys really understand what America is all about.

Rationalanimal 11 years, 6 months ago

thetagger said:"Regardless of politics, Bush is just a flat out idiot. If I met him, I think I'd knock on his head a few times and say Hello, McFly? Anyone home? ... Of course, I'd get my butt kicked by Secret Service, but I think it would be worth it"Keep dreaming because you'll never be invited to the Whitehouse by any U.S. president. Why? Because you're a RETARD.

Eric Bernauer 11 years, 6 months ago

Name calling? Kind of the last resort of someone immature who has nothing to say. I am guessing now by the name calling (what's next, threatening to tell on me?) that the reason you keep telling people you will give them a ride, is that with your restricted license, you need an adult with you to drive?

frompekka2sasha 11 years, 6 months ago

I don't play poker because I prefer earning my money through hard work. I am pretty skilled at picking out idiots because I found you and actorman. He actually trumps you by a good margin but if you keep posting ridiculous comments on a sports website than you might give him a run for his money. The thread turned political when the first stone was thrown at our President. Hmmm... and it still has nothing to do with him or the point of this trip. Absolutely nothing. If they were visiting Bill Clinton it still wouldn't be relevant.

frompekka2sasha 11 years, 6 months ago

I rarely resort to name calling but in your case it just makes sense. I am going to the Driver's License Bureau tomorrow and, ummmmm, hoping that I get my restricted license. If everything goes well then I should be able to take you to Canada later in the week. Keep your fingers crossed and remember NOT to admit that this thread was about KU basketball being honored... not a forum to bash our President.If people would have stayed on topic then we would not be here right now. Remember I'm only 15 years old and don't have a DL so this sort of behavior should be expected. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha. Oops... gotta go because my mom says lunch is ready. I'm having peanut butter and jelly with a glass of chocolate milk. Mmmmm... so long as she cuts it diagonally.

Eric Bernauer 11 years, 6 months ago

I think the team deserves a huge amount of appreciation from all of us and I hope they enjoy their trip. However, this thread switched from a sports thread to a misplaced political thread about the second or third post, long before either you or I placed our initial posts. Thanks, I don't need a ride, I'm grateful and happy for where I am. I enjoy our diversity. I'm guessing you're looking for homongeny. It doesn't take much experience to realize the place doesn't exist and wouldn't survive. I'm guessing you're probably not the best judge of who idiots are, you remind me of the person playing poker who is looking around the room trying to figure out who is the sucker in the game. You post political, for want of a better word, ideas, then you call everybody on the thread talking politics an idiot. Do you see where I'm going yet?

actorman 11 years, 6 months ago

"The Jayhawks will be honored by President Bush"How is it possible for a man with no honor to honor someone else?"Fabio, Are you nuts?"That's an insult to people who are nuts everywhere."JayCeph-Because you dont agree with a guys politics dosent mean he deserves to be compared to Stalin and Hussein."You're right. However, destroying the constitution piece by piece, stealing two elections, and sanctioning the torture and brutality of thousands of people, all so a few oil buddies can get richer, DOES mean he deserves to be compared to Stalin and Hussein."To others out there, let this be an example of what happens when we cut mental health funding."CLASSIC!"For gods sake, if the president asks you how you feel, don't say "I've gotta pee" because you had 16 bottles of Dr. Pepper.""... or show the president your buttocks!!"I think the latter is quite appropriate in this case."Saddam Hussein Oboma, Stalin, or Kim Jon Illin will always be remembered as tyrants... Bush, on the other hand, will be remembered for not putting up with other countries sh**..."You're right, Bush is clearly a much better man than those described above.To those who wanted me to stay away from politics, too bad. And knowing that Noah strongly considered not going to the White House (and only went because of his teammates) gives me a whole new level of respect for him. It would be nice if players didn't just automatically succumb like robots for the thrill of meeting a mass murderer. Say what you will about the "Office of the President," but when there's nothing legitimate whatsoever about the man in the office and he's a brutal despot, there's nothing special about going there.