Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Final Four floor heading to KU

The 2008 Final Four floor soon will belong to Kansas University's athletic department.

KU has made arrangements to purchase the portable surface used at the San Antonio Alamodome for just three games - KU's national semifinal victory over North Carolina, Memphis' semifinal win against UCLA and KU's title victory over Memphis.

"We'll probably do something similar to what we did with the old floor at Allen Fieldhouse we took up two or three years ago, have it cut in pieces and sold as replicas of the tournament (on kustore.com)," KU senior associate athletic director Larry Keating said.

Keating, who estimated the cost of the Final Four floor at about $35,000, indicated the center circle of the court might be put on display in the Booth Family Hall of Athletics.

"There's been a lot of interest (from KU fans). People know this is something that can be done," Keating said of the Final Four champion school getting the opportunity to purchase the floor from Connor Sport Court International. "So many (fans) have already asked about buying a piece of the floor, we feel it'll be worth it."

Keating said KU hasn't considered using the Final Four floor as the surface in the new practice facility that will be constructed next to Horejsi Center.

"We'll duplicate the floor in Allen in the new practice facility," he said.

¢

KU, BU to meet: Add Belmont University to KU's 2008-09 basketball schedule. The Jayhawks will meet the Bruins on Nov. 21 in Allen Fieldhouse.

The Bruins return four starters from a 25-9 team that fell to Duke, 71-70, in a first-round 2008 NCAA Tournament game in Washington, D.C. Coach Rick Byrd's Bruins have won three straight Atlantic Sun postseason tourney titles. Belmont is located in Nashville, Tenn.

¢

Dates of games: Dates of KU's marquee nonconference men's basketball games have been revealed.

The Jayhawks will play Temple on Dec. 20 and Tennessee on Jan. 3 in Allen Fieldhouse. KU will travel to Arizona on Dec. 23 and Michigan State on Jan. 10.

Also, KU will meet Massachusetts on Dec. 13 at the Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo. KU also will play Missouri-Kansas City on either Nov. 16 or 18 in an early-round College Basketball Experience Tournament game in Allen Fieldhouse. KU will meet Washington in a CBE semifinal on Nov. 24 in Sprint Center. Florida and Syracuse will play in the other semi, with the finals and consolation finals the following night.

¢

Canada slate: KU's schedule for its Labor Day weekend trip to Canada has been finalized.

The Jayhawks will play the first game of a day/night doubleheader against McGill University at 11 a.m., Saturday, Aug. 30, at University of Ottawa's 1,000-seat Montpetit Hall in Ottawa, Ontario. KU will face Carleton University at 7 p.m., Aug. 30, at 20,500-seat Scotiabank Place, home of the Ottawa Senators hockey team.

KU will tangle with University of Ottawa at 7 p.m. Aug. 31, back in University of Ottawa's campus building. There are no plans to televise the games at this time.

A vacation package for the games is available at travellersinc.com.

¢

Self camp: The 2008 Bill Self Summer Basketball Camp has openings in the June 8-12 and June 15-19 sessions (ages 8-19). For more information, log onto billselfbasketballcamp.com.

¢

Udoh on move: Epke Udoh, a 6-foot-10, 240-pound power forward who just completed his sophomore year at the University of Michigan, has decided to transfer and has Kansas State on his list of possible schools.

Udoh told the Daily Oklahoman he is considering Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, K-State, Baylor, Arkansas and Texas A&M.

Udoh, who averaged six points and five rebounds while starting 24 games at Michigan his sophomore season, is friends with former Edmond (Okla.) Santa Fe High teammate Obi Muonelo of Oklahoma State.

"It would be fun to play with him (Muonelo) again," Udoh told the Oklahoman. "We've played (together) our whole lives, but it has to be what's best for me."

Comments

Toto_the_great 6 years, 2 months ago

Then I'll take the area where Collins made his moves.

digitalkookie 6 years, 2 months ago

i'll go ahead and call the spot where dorsey got the ball dunked off his nugget by DA....priceless

Kevin Kelly 6 years, 2 months ago

I want the spot where the national player of the year was embarrassed by Cole Aldrich. Can I just buy the whole thing???

KGphoto 6 years, 2 months ago

Floor schmoor! I want the KU sticker from Roy's shirt!And a picture of that inexplicable cheesy grin of his.

Steve Tramba 6 years, 2 months ago

Ron,That makes just too much $en$e... but then Lew cannot profit off of it. Then the co$t of "re-$tickering" / painting... I mean what do you think i$ in the coffer$ for thi$?I'll take the spot where Dorsey made foul #5. This was pretty close to BRush's 3 late in the big UNC run that prompted Billy's "over" comment.Rock Chalk Jayhawk!! Great to be a 'Hawk in Big Televen land these days!

ralsterKUMed95 6 years, 2 months ago

Tulsa3: you were close on the spelling of UNC's Tyler H. Its "Hansdouche"...lol! Joking, of course--he does work hard, but he seriously got exposed by KU as just a 6'9" college forward. He is in NO way to be confused with the thoroughbred athleticism of someone like D.Arthur, he doesnt play much defense, and Self had our bigs go at him all day-excellent plan. And the main exposure came at the hands of a FRESHMAN (Aldrich), who at 6'11" basically showed what would happen when Psyco-T went up against true center-sized players...Personally, I thought Beasley should have been Natl Player of the Year. Beasley carried KSU (say what we will about his attitude and comments...), while UNC has a fairly good supporting cast. Hansborough did NOT deserve that award, in my personal opinion...

RonBurgandy 6 years, 2 months ago

They replace the court floor every now and then anyways, it's not like the court has been there since AFH was built. I definitly could be wrong, but I think they replaced the last one in '93? It would be repainted to look exactly like the current floor, and it's not like it was a crappy floor to begin with, I'm sure it was top of the line, whatever that entails.

CaramelMacchMan 6 years, 2 months ago

(To people who wants to change the AFH floor)How can you compare the floor we play regular season with???Final four floors are come and gone.. There will be MORE in the future... WE are KANSAS we go to final fours Often NO biggggy...Bye Bye Final four floor..I'll keep my original floor with a pride.

quigley 6 years, 2 months ago

I will take the spot where Cole punked Hansbrough.

soapboxstew 6 years, 2 months ago

Billy was bad. No doubt about it. I've watched the NC game about 15 times, and I can tell you, without a doubt, that 'ol Billy was for Memphis from bell to bell. He ignored the 4 technical fouls that were not called (That first 'undercut' of BRush should have been an automatic ejection; you can't endanger a player's health). And then he gets angry at the refs for supposedly missing 'over-the-backs' and 'traveling' on Kansas. Throughout the game he defended Memphis and attacked Kansas. My favorite moment was when he said that Darrell Aurthur's deep 2 was the "worst shot you can take...no way that they can win..."But 'ol Billy and Dicky V are not the real villains. The one that us KU fans should REALLY hate is Jimmy Dykes. When Memphis and KU were the only 2 undefeated teams in the nation, Jimmy D didn't even have us in his top 10. In that same ACC game that he was announcing he talked down the KU-MU rivalry, saying that Tennessee-Vandy is a better (more significant) rivalry. At the end of the season it was Jimmy D v Andy Katz as to which team deserved the #1 seed: Tennessee or Kansas. Tennessee had just got POUNDED by Arkansas in the SEC tourney, and KU was beating UT in the B12 championship. Andy fought for us with all of his heart and soul, and Jimmy D fought against us with all of his heart and soul. The argument got REAL heated, and Jimmy's anti-KU colors really shined. He drank the hater-aid all year long, throwing salt all over our game.

not_important 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm guessing that they will cut the floor up into pieces with the same proportions as the playing floor and border. Then they will get a sticker/overlay that has the same floor design (clear to let the wood show through where the floor did not have paint) and they will stick that on the pieces of wood. I'm pretty sure that is what they mean by "replica."

Dirk Medema 6 years, 2 months ago

So fun to relive the many wonderful moments.The Billy Packer comment did remind me that he at least apologized 20 years after the fact for some of his bonehead calls during the OU-championship - "KU can run with OU, but they can't beat them running. The Sooners are just too well-conditioned athletes."Rock Chalk

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 2 months ago

the spot just inside the three-point line where Rose took off to hit the two that was initially called a three... mine

Rick Arnoldy 6 years, 2 months ago

jaybate wrote "The restaurant would HAVE to be called the Jayhawk Cafe."I think the fine establishment on 1340 Ohio Street would object.

cuzimajjjjjhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Why does ljworld refer to KU as Kansas University? it's University of Kansas!Some people may not care 'cause they think it's not really a big deal, but I care deepy about whether my school is represented correctly or not. it's University of Kansas=KU. not KU=Kansas University. There is no such school as Kansas University, although there's Kansas State University. As for the actual article itself, nice addition of Belmont University to the schedule. Seems like it will be a good competition.

Jonathan Andrews 6 years, 2 months ago

"...have it cut in pieces and sold as replicas of the tournament..."Replicas? Do you mean memorabilia, Keating? Or are you selling tiny replicas of the Alamodome?Anyway, I'd love for us to "move on Udoh". He'd be a great pickup, and he led the Big Televen in blocks last year. I'm surprised to hear that the former HEAVY KU lean (while we were pursuing Arthur) is not considering us. Maybe we're not considering him...

eastTXjayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

just give me part of the border, i'll put it next to a jersey and see if it disappears...

halogenlamps 6 years, 2 months ago

I'll take the area where the cheerleaders sat

dannyxo 6 years, 2 months ago

I want the bench area where Roy looked so confused and frustrated in the semi's.

jaybate 6 years, 2 months ago

I have a couple of ideas.1. Humanitarian Idea: Put it inside the new community basketball court that Bill Self's charitable organization is planning on assisting the creation of. It would be a useful thing to do that a couple generations of kids would get great good out of.2. Historical Monument Idea: Expand the Museum to become a building large enough to hold the basketball court. Have an artist create bronze statues (or whatever would be affordable material) of all the players on the floor as they were at the moment that Mario released "the shot." Have the artist makes statues of all the KU coaches and players on the bench in the positions they were in when "the shot" was released. If we can afford it, make statues of all the Memphis players on the floor, too. Freeze the entire moment in time. Then set up all the KU basketball exhibits that are in the existing Basketball Museum to places around the perimeter of the floor. Then turn the existing basketball museum into retail/restaurant facilities. The restaurant would HAVE to be called the Jayhawk Cafe.

Displayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

LMAO Halogenlamps! ......That was a good one brother!

atexasjhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Jaybate, the historical monument is the best idea that I have ever heard. It would pay for itself in a matter of days! I do not think that the Athletics Department should cut it up and sell it. They should preserve the court. After all, it is sacred.P.S. Who else can't wait for football season to start?

areyouserious 6 years, 2 months ago

I will gladly take the free throw area that seemed to trouble CDR and Rose, the constant reminder of : "its not automatic"

justinryman 6 years, 2 months ago

I have to take any spot in "the paint" Did you not see how many points KU scored in the paint? Any of it would be great!!!!

Joe Ross 6 years, 2 months ago

I like the idea of putting the Final Four floor in the practice facility, but resurfacing it to resemble the Field House floor. That way, you have the mystique of knowing what the floor represents as the players are practicing, yet you don't compromise the authenticity of the Jayhawk environment.

Chicago_JHawk 6 years, 2 months ago

Ron-I think the current court was installed in fall 2005. The previous court was in use from 1993-05 (based on the collectible pieces for sale).http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/store_contents.cfm?&store_id=363&dept_id=-4&product_id=114536&partner_id=14279They could do what Michigan State did - buy the court and refinish it for games use, or sell it in pieces as mentioned in the article.

tis4tim 6 years, 2 months ago

I'll take the spot where Collins hit the late three from the corner.

zissou 6 years, 2 months ago

Dear Athletics Department - I would like a certain part of the floor. I think you know which one.Sincerely, Rodrick StewartP.S. Does anyone have a tablesaw I could borrow?

kickazzkurtz 6 years, 2 months ago

So KU is dropping $35K on this floor why don't they just pay the extra $6k that is owed to the hotel where they cancelled the awards banquet in favor of a parade and call it a day. How can they chop up the floor and sell them as replicas? Aren't replicas replications of the real thing? If they sell the actual floor it's the real thing not a replica.I'll take the spot where Bill Self set during the championship game.

pepper_bar 6 years, 2 months ago

Dibs on the spot where Billy Packer's chair was when he told Jim Nantz the semifinal was "over" 7 minutes in.

JayhawkPurist 6 years, 2 months ago

The idea of installing the Final Four floor in AFH is growing on me, and I'll bet I'm not alone. At a minimum, I like the idea of installing it in the new practice facility: it'd set the tone for practices, to say the least.

Tulsa3 6 years, 2 months ago

I'll take the spot of Sherron's late game steal. Or the spot where Cole ripped that ball out of Hansbourogh's hands. Yeah I know that's probably spelled wrong but whatever.

Lance Hobson 6 years, 2 months ago

Zissou, that was the funniest post I've ever read! Has anyone claimed the center of the court yet? I still call the spot where Mario launched his miracle.I like the idea of the museum with the statues, that would be cool. Overkill maybe, but we do love our basketball. I'm thinking the resaurant might be Phog's deli or something to with that theme. I only recommended playing on the Final 4 court for Late Night and/or an exhibition game.

toyss29 6 years, 2 months ago

I think the KU Athletic Department should keep the floor, and install it in the new practice facility. It would be a nice recruiting tool. Not that Michigan State is a heavenly place to play, but their court at the Breslin Center is from their 2000 Championship. Just a thought...a court for champions.

areyouserious 6 years, 2 months ago

What if I were to offer the flooring company $50,000 for it, would they sell it to me???.....I have a nice spot in my backyard for it!!!!!! probably still wouldnt help me sell my house in this whacked out market. This is a huge money maker:Approx 5,500 sq ft. cut into 1.5'X1.5' pieces = 2,444 pieces X $200 a piece = $488,000Cha-Ching...............maybe they will use this to pay the $6,000 banquet cancellation invoice to the Holiday Inn!!

Rick Arnoldy 6 years, 2 months ago

An all time thread. Wish I had a spot left to claim.

Jim Pendleton 6 years, 2 months ago

I will take the spot where the team was standing when they were handed the championship trophy!!!Also, a friend of mine from Memphis wants the spot where Calipari was standing near the end of regulation yelling - foul, foul. He wants to add a microphone to that location as well.

RonBurgandy 6 years, 2 months ago

Why don't we do what Michigan State did and put the floor in allen field house? I think that would be cool.

Ed Fox 6 years, 2 months ago

Seriously? You don't change the Fieldhouse floor for this. The Fieldhouse floor is special too - that's the floor that they played on to get there. It's not necessarily disposable. And you don't want to put this floor in the practice facility - you know the guys will actually practice on that floor - it might be helpful if it resembled a floor they will be playing regular games on. A big FF floor probably isn't something they'll be seeing a lot during the season. I like the idea that hundreds or thousands of KU fans will get to own a piece of that floor.

DocBean 6 years, 2 months ago

I wish I could have called the spot where Mario took the shot. Instead I'll take the spot where Dorsey slammed the ball down and didn't get T'ed. There's probably a dent in that spot, and it was right about where Aldrich schooled the national player of the year.

JayhawkPurist 6 years, 2 months ago

Banner,Are you suggesting that the Final Four court has different dimensions than any other regulation-sized courts?Repaint it if necessary, but I like the idea of the Final Four court in the practice facility: it sets the bar high, and would add another element to the aura of the program and its facilities.All that said, given the fact that chopping it up and selling it is so profitable, I highly doubt we'll see it anywhere but advertised on kustore.com.

Lance Hobson 6 years, 2 months ago

We should put that floor in Allen Field House for Late Night or something - play on it a couple of times before chopping it up. I want a piece - I call the spot where Mario launched his miracle.