Sunday, May 18, 2008

Jayhawk’s brother arrested

Former USC star charged with battery near Lawrence bar

Lodrick Schron Stewart, 24, was arrested and charged with battery following an incident early Saturday morning, police said.

The incident occurred shortly after 2 a.m. outside It's Brothers, 1105 Mass.

Stewart, a former Southern California basketball player, is the twin brother of Kansas University men's basketball player Rodrick Stewart, who is graduating today.

Lodrick Stewart allegedly struck Michael Ricklefs, 23, a Lawrence resident and KU student, in the face after a verbal altercation, Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl said. Ricklefs fell and hit his head on the concrete. He was flown to KU Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., where he was in good condition Saturday morning, according to Hadl.

Lodrick Stewart was booked at the Douglas County Jail and later released on $100 bond.

Comments

Dyrk Dugan 11 years, 6 months ago

good show of family love right there....good grief, attend your brother's graduation 1600 miles away...and you get thrown in jail! Thanks for coming Lod.

Jonathan Andrews 11 years, 6 months ago

Hey, we don't know what happened to cause the altercation. Some dude could have been trying beat up Rod or something. All we know is, EVERY measure should have been taken to avoid a fight. Doesn't sound like good judgement on Lod's part, whether it was right or wrong.

kcmostwanted 11 years, 6 months ago

No...You guys don't know what happened and I don't either but Lod's been in Lawrence hanging out w/ his brother since / before the injury so don't make stupid comments like that mvjayhawk and strikewso. Probably some drunk college student just trying to ruin things for an ex-college athlete. I mean he did play for USC but i've seen him on campus and at the rec, and he seems to be a very nice guy who's also pretty easy going.The guy probably deserved to be punched in the face anyways...you know like most drunk college students :-)

Drew Bender 11 years, 6 months ago

It sounds to me like "Mike" caught a really bad case of Little-Man-Syndrome. Am I wrong? I see it happen several times a night on every weekend. Some wannabe tough guy with something to prove(Mike), will try to start a fight with the biggest guy in the bar or some hot-shot athlete. I did athletics in college and although Im not huge, many of my teammates and friends were. I have seen this same thing happen to my friends several times at bars and parties. Good for Lodrick. I really dont even feel bad for saying that either. Here is some advice: Dont walk up to a 6'-5" super athletic person and start talking mess. Chances are that you too will end up in KU Med along with Mike. Rock Chalk to all and good night. Okay... Now lets have it with all the negative feedback from my post

Hawklin 11 years, 6 months ago

This happens EVERY night in Lawrence. Alcohol makes people run their mouths and get into trouble. Both parties are equally at fault. Hope "Mike" is alright and hope they both learned a lesson.

Lance Hobson 11 years, 6 months ago

Way to ruin what should have been a happy family event. Lod should go back to LA with the rest of the thugs.

Lance Hobson 11 years, 6 months ago

Referring to folks in LA as thugs is harsh, I admit. But this type of thing just doesn't happen to normal people, so Lod desesrves the label. I know the LA/KU folks in Manhattan Beach and other areas are great.

FlaHawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Notice the reference to Sgt Susan Hadl of LPD. Wonder what relationship she might be to the KU All-time great John Hadl?Where is Mayer when you need him for historical purposes!

sevenyearhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Anyone else find it mildly ironic that the guy from the West Coast comes to the sleepy Midwest and gets in trouble ...as opposed to the Midwest kid going to the Big City and getting in trouble.I'm sure there's a moral here, I just can't find it!***Now, in all seriousness ... Rod gave his body and soul to KU hoops, too bad this incident with his brother will mar the weekend ... but blood is thicker than water, so let's not all get up in arms just quite yet!

yates33333 11 years, 6 months ago

Don't you think everyone should wait until the police bring all the facts out before judgment is passed? There are thugs and good guys everywhere. A great many people fall in between.

daughter 11 years, 6 months ago

mike is a little punk who was trying to start trouble and Lod is a testerone ridden athlete with perhaps thuggish tendencies who doesn't know well how to deal with little mouthy girls like Mike. so mike got knocked the fu(k out and lod went to jail. thats the way society rolls. its embarrassing for Lod and Mike gets to look like a little victim and milk his precious little punched face for all that it is worth.

Gary Denning 11 years, 6 months ago

Stewart's brother has been here for a while. I saw him with his brother just after the surgery and that was over a month ago.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Strikewso -There is a significant number of KU fans out here in Los Angeles. I was at the Galen center when we played USC along with probably close to 2000 other Jayhawk fans in attendance. The hallways literally echoed after the game with the "Rock Chalk" chant. It brought me chills. Aside from the KU faithful, there are also a great many kind-hearted people out here. So take it easy with the "thug" comments.

madman 11 years, 6 months ago

I visited Mike in the hospital yesterday. His condition most of the day Saturday was far from "good".

ralsterKUMed95 11 years, 6 months ago

More speculation from me: this 'Mike' kid, a KU student, obviously got an outside-the-classroom 'lesson', courtesy a 6'4" USC alumni, no less. I shall assume Mike said something he should not have. It is highly unlikely someone like Lodrick would instigate something with a random, unknown individual. This fool Mike needed to represent KU and Lawrence (and Kansas hospitality) a little better than that?

ralsterKUMed95 11 years, 6 months ago

Frankly, think about it. The brother (Lodrick) of a respected KU player (Rodrick), both of whom are college graduates, and very similar (nice) personalities as described by the many people who know them and their family, now in a bar situation. Now some drunk guy (enter "Mike"...) starts to 'interact' with them. I personally would think it would take something pretty offensive for Lodrick to do what he obviously did in defending whatever he was. I say defending because Lodrick has zero to prove over any non-athlete, so I doubt he was the instigator. I only hope I am correct in my key assumptions here. At this point, Rod and Lod are in the public eye, so they just have to have a thicker skin. Yes, I like both of them, so I am giving Lodrick the benefit of the doubt here, but it may be somewhat telling that he was out of detention with just a $100 bond, so maybe the authorities already know the details that we can only speculate about. Lodrick gets a token fine, Mike got what he deserved, and its over? I hope so...

Jim Jackson 11 years, 6 months ago

So a kid gets knocked out cause he was wasted and running his mouth haha what a loser, thats what he gets. Way to go Lodrick!!!!! Rock Chalk!

WisconsinJayhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

$100 bond for assault and battery? I had a $500 bond for not having insurance on my car once...Guess I should have punched someone and taken their insurance card... indescetions of youth...

Dirk Medema 11 years, 6 months ago

I seem to recall reading that Rod got nto shame before last season by doing boxing workouts. I wonder if Lod worked out with him, or at least had a similar workout. I wonder how much being the son of a world champion power lifter effects the situation. There are definitely better people to mess with.

David Robinett 11 years, 6 months ago

Needless to say, "nothing good happens after midnight" - at least at bars.

daughter 11 years, 6 months ago

0 well then why are you on the message boards?