Friday, May 16, 2008

Regents rubber-stamp facilities

— The $55 million renovations of Allen Fieldhouse and the surrounding facilities are a go, after approval was given at Thursday morning's Kansas Board of Regents meeting.

Regents' approval is needed for any facility construction on a state university campus. They also needed to approve issuing bonds for the project.

The bonds will be paid back by revenue from donations to and revenue from the athletic department. No state funds or student fees will be used for the project.

Comments

741hawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Where did you get your info on the track? It has been my personal issue for over 20 years! Two ADs and Dolph Simons have been in on the discussions. An engineering study was done. When I discussed it with the Chancellor at the OB, he knew about the eng study and responded to me with the query: "So you think we should have a first-class football facility?" Well, yes I do!

741hawk 11 years, 6 months ago

$55 million? What for?I say tear out the track at Memorial Stadium, build seats seven rows down and close to the field. Create a REAL home field environment. KU is one of only 3 BCS schools with a track inside its football stadium. (Duke football? is one of them -- an association we don't need.)Football is the revenue sport. Let's get after it!Rock Chalk!By the way, whenever you meet a fellow Jayhawk, the greeting is not "hi" or "hello," it should be "Rock Chalk." No one else has that bond, and it drives the Tiggers (Slavers) nuts!

Michael Auchard 11 years, 6 months ago

Heh. I wonder what K-State fans think about the Board of Regents giving us $55 million for facilities. Lets see how this season worked out:KSU: Get Beasley, break streak of home losses.KU: Win National Championship, get $55 million for renovations.At least both schools can say they had their best season in 20 years, I guess.Also, as to why an article doesn't contain as much info as you'd like -- well, in a newspaper it's because they simply don't have the space to put every little detail in there that us Jayhawk Junkies would like. On an online publication, however, I really have no answer for why that info isn't added as soon as someone makes a comment about it. Especially when there is someone with the title of on-line editor. I would assume the job entails more than cutting and pasting, but I've been wrong before.

Michael Ales 11 years, 6 months ago

This is fantastic, but, what are we getting? Someone a while back said Jayhawk Towers ought to be demolished and start over. When I was at KU in the late 70's they were a mess. Have they been upgraded since I partied with Booty Neal and John Crawford there? If not I sure hope that is part of the package. New players want sharp digs if they are going to come to KU.

Dirk Medema 11 years, 6 months ago

This goes back to Bill's meeting with Lew after the NC. All the talk was about the millions that KU needed to offer him to keep him away from the pokes. What he asked for was upgrades to the Towers & AFH. LJW ran an article about the Towers upgrades, and they may have mentioned then the AFH upgrades also. Wouldn't that have been an easy cut/paste augmentation to this article.

number1jayhawker 11 years, 6 months ago

This also includes a BB practice facility, a soccer stadium with the track inside. Also upgrades to Women's softball complex etc.The track at Memorial is coming out after next FB's seaso is over.

charlesyu 11 years, 6 months ago

The Regents didn't "give" KU anything. All they did was allow KU athletics to sell bonds to improve facilities. KU athletics will have to repay the bond holders over time.The Regents allowed K-State to sell $45 million dollars (of $80 million total, $35 million in private money) worth of bonds for athletic facilities a few months back. The state hasn't given KU money to build any new athletic facilities in decades.

Lance Hobson 11 years, 6 months ago

Hey, who's got the KU flag outside their house in Manhattan Beach (LA)? I saw it the other day and it made my entire day! My girlfriend just rolled her eyes, since she's an LA girl and probably sick of hearing me talk about KU. Anyway, I got a pick of the flag with the ocean in the background, what a great sight!