Wednesday, May 14, 2008

KU’s Lee accepts coaching position

Ex-Jayhawk heading to Gardner-Webb

Former KU guard lands assistant coaching position

For KU basketball guard Michael Lee has landed an assistant coaching position at the Division 1 level.

Michael Lee has landed his first full-time NCAA Div. I men's basketball assistant coaching position at the age of 25.

Lee, a former Kansas University guard who worked as graduate student manager this past season for the national champion Jayhawks, on Tuesday was hired as assistant at Gardner-Webb University in Boiling Springs, N.C.

"We were very impressed with Michael's knowledge of the game, and his interview was outstanding," Gardner-Webb coach Rick Scruggs said Tuesday in announcing the hire.

"Obviously, this is a young man who had the unique honor of playing and learning under two of the top coaches in the college game in Roy Williams and Bill Self, so it came as no surprise that Michael's base of knowledge was so strong. He comes highly recommended as a coach and person, and we feel he can have a very strong influence on our student-athletes and basketball program."

Lee, who played on two Final Fours teams at KU, worked with Self's staff during the national-title season in the areas of day-to-day operations, travel and scouting.

"I think it's a great opportunity for Mike, a great opportunity for a guy his age. Mike is really excited about working with coach Scruggs," Self said of the 14th-year coach, who led the Bulldogs to a shocking victory against Kentucky last season. Gardner-Webb competes in the Atlantic Sun Conference.

"Any time you can get on the road (as a recruiter) it's beneficial," Self added. "We'll miss Mike, but this certainly is a great opportunity for him."

Self said he would seek a replacement for the graduate student manager position.

"I don't know what we'll do yet," Self said indicating there was no hurry.

Comments

tis4tim 11 years, 6 months ago

A little off topic, but any word on how Rod Stewart's knee is progressing?

Chicago_JHawk 11 years, 6 months ago

I agree, KoolKeith. Case would be a great candidate. What a great opportunity for Mike!

b_asinbeer 11 years, 6 months ago

nicka is an undercover Mizzou fan. Just read all of his negative comments throughout the comments section of articles. Compile them, and it's enough for a 800-page, 8-font snoozer.

11 years, 6 months ago

lance - I am told they are sometimes allowed joint conjugal visits from APD for good behavior.Awesome news on Michael Lee. Gardner-Webb has a good one. I think Case or RussRob would do a great job if either were selected to take his place on our staff. The latter may be spending some time in the League though!

OutlawJHawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Nicka, get real. Not everyone can start and get minutes. Case might have started and definitely would have got minutes somewhere else; KU is just always loaded with talent. And without a full array of players, many role players who ride the bench, Kansas would not be as good. Thank God for unselfish athletes like Case who understand or accept their role in the big scheme of things.Nevertheless, Case was a phenom practice player and shooter. Case has a Championship Ring. Case was associated with Williams and Self, two of the best coaches in the game. I cannot think of a better pedigree to start in the coaching track...and why not here? I for one would love to see Case "on the bench" another year.Nicka, by the way, Kansas just won the National Championship. Wake up.

FlaHawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Loosing another one to the state of North Carolina.NoJust a Graduate Assistant!thing could be finer than to be in Carolina in the mornnnnnnnng!Just a Graduate Assistant! Give it to Case!

quigley 11 years, 6 months ago

This is perfect. I have been thinking of a way for RussRob to join the coaching staff if he is not drafted. The problem with my idea was that Michael Lee was still on the staff. Think of the possiblitly....Russ going on recruiting visits to the east coast, telling them how he adjusted and prospered in the midwest...Russ putting on a pair of shorts at practice time and teaching "lock down" defense to the young guys. I think that this would be a match made in heaven if he is not playing next year.

Jonathan Allison 11 years, 6 months ago

Case should just have another year to complete his Masters degree. He'd be perfect for next years young team. Give them one more National Champion to learn from as they develop into the next KU National Championship Team.

Dirk Medema 11 years, 6 months ago

Everybody was amazed by Jeremy's inability to translate his practice game into prime time - until sr night. That was sweet when he finally made the shot. His and RR's story are rather similar, tho RR obviously had a lot more success on the court. If I remember right, Michael Lee spent sometime playing overseas and DL before coming on staff last year. RR in particular deserves a chance to play in some more, and then come on staff with that much more to share. Jeremy may be able to play elsewhere for a little while also, tho it would be great to see him come on staff.

Eliott Reeder 11 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like a solid position for Jeremy Case, no?

Rick Arnoldy 11 years, 6 months ago

I think Russ wants to keep playing somewhere first.

lance1jhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

nicka and soobawls are actually prision cell mates, who enjoy their company a little to much ( not that there is anything wrong with that). They were joined in an un-holy union last year by a one armed car jacker, (he couldn't drive a stick and got caught). They know spend there free time talking smack on the Hawks, and hanging out in the showers.

quigley 11 years, 6 months ago

KU-I guess he could talk to them on their official visits. I am just dreaming here anyways!!!

FortWorthJayhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

Nicka, you're a douche. Case was a great player for KU that gave his all, every day.

jackhawk 11 years, 6 months ago

"Nicka", what exactly is your problem?

actorman 11 years, 6 months ago

Looks like Gardner-Webb just got a lot more fans. I know I'll be paying attention to how they do. I wish nothing but the best for Michael Lee (and I still believe that shot against Syracuse would have gone in).

nicka 11 years, 6 months ago

if I have to see Case on the sidelines for another year, I am going to puke.

KU 11 years, 6 months ago

If I'm not mistaken, a graduate basketball manager would not be taking any recruiting trips, quigley. Nice thought, though.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 6 months ago

Congrats, Mike!!!!!Gardner-Webb is on the way up...as evidenced by their beat-down this year of UK (on UK's court).

kraus42 11 years, 6 months ago

Congrats to Lee, but I have to agree with Nicka. Although I'm sure Case gave his all day in and day out at practice, I held my breath when he came into the game. "Best Shooter" on the team, but constantly bricked them when he came in. I'm sure if he had more playing time, his stroke would get warm but I just got so tired of EVERYTIME he came in, I had to hear Bob Davis talk about how great he was.

easyfive 11 years, 6 months ago

I thought Lew was going to try to keep the band together!Mike gone!? What a lose. :o(They should try to get him back! Is it me or is Michael a keeper or what? He always was the iron man. He might be the winningest Jhawk ever.

Dan Harris 11 years, 6 months ago

Lance and txrock, laughed out loud, as for you nikka I will say it for LAHawk, you can SUCK IT !

actorman 11 years, 6 months ago

There is of course no way to know how Case would have done if he had had more playing time, but there's reason to believe he would have shown much more if he hadn't been sitting behind some of the greatest guards in the country every year.One thing that's interesting is that his 3-point percentage went up every year, which says partly that he got better with more playing time and also that he wasn't as bad as people thought. Although his 3-point percentages weren't great, they weren't atrocious (other than in his freshman year), especially given how few opportunities he had to get in the flow of the game:Freshman: .231Sophomore: .333Junior: .370Senior: .379Overall: .331