Monday, May 12, 2008

Jayhawks-to-be get a little good press

All five of Kansas University's incoming freshmen men's basketball players were included in USA Today's final Top 100 list for the recruiting Class of 2008.

Analyst Rob Harrington ranked KU's Markieff Morris No. 33 overall, followed closely by Marcus Morris (38), Travis Releford (40), Tyshawn Taylor (62) and Quintrell Thomas (79).

Oklahoma's Willie Warren earned top billing of all Big 12 players at No. 26, followed by Baylor's Anthony Jones (50), OU's Andre Clark (72), Texas' J'Covan Brown (92) and Missouri's Kim English (95).

Rivals.com's latest rankings, released April 28, placed KU's five freshmen in the top 150.

Marcus Morris led the way at No. 29, followed by Markieff Morris (50), Releford (70), Taylor (77) and Thomas (150).

Juco Junction has ranked incoming KU juniors Mario Little and Tyrone Appleton the Nos. 1 and 3 junior-college prospects in the country.

"People are seeing what we thought all along, that it's a very underrated recruiting class," KU coach Bill Self said. "Mario Little of Chipola (CC, Florida) could be the best junior-college player in the country. He's tough and will give us a physical presence," Self added of the 6-foot-5 shooting guard.

"Travis will surprise people. I think he's already a college defender," he noted of 6-5 off guard Releford from Roeland Park Miege.

"Quintrell (6-8, St. Patrick High, Elizabeth, N.J.) will be the sleeper of the group. Tyrone Appleton (6-3 Midland College) could be a do-everything guard, utility guard, play 1 (point) and off the ball.

"From a true talent standpoint, the twins are the most talented we've signed so far," he said of 6-9 Marcus and 6-10 Markieff Morris. "I think they are big-time players if their mind is right, and they have a great work ethic. I anticipate all being able to contribute."

Self cannot yet comment on Taylor, 6-3 point guard from St. Anthony High in Jersey City, N.J. Taylor signed with Marquette, but recently was released from his letter of intent. A player can sign just one letter in a college career.

No. 1 player in the Class of '08 is University of Arizona signee Brandon Jennings, a 6-1 point guard from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va.

¢

Sidney lists KU: Renaldo Sidney, the No. 1 player in the Class of 2009, has KU on his current list of schools.

Sidney, 6-10, 230 pounds from Los Angeles Fairfax High, told Rivals.com on Sunday he likes KU, USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, Texas and Memphis. Many believe he ultimately will pick UCLA or USC.

Elijah Johnson, 6-2 from Las Vegas, told Rivals.com on Sunday he has a top five of UCLA, Texas, UNLV, KU and Oklahoma. The Pump N Run Elite player competed at the recent Jayhawk Invitational Tournament.

Comments

melrank 11 years, 6 months ago

jross - I thought fiddle faddle and NBA players was a refreshing break from the Roy comparisons.It will be interesting to see if some of our current guys who have mostly sit on the bench - Morningstar, Reed, etc. - will beat out these young guns.

kcphantom 11 years, 7 months ago

Once again, we reload.Imagine how good the Morris twins are going to be after a year or two working with Coach Manning.

JayhawkPurist 11 years, 7 months ago

I'm all for honoring the job Coach Williams did at KU, but if indeed he did cut an informal deal with Dean Smith not to recruit east of the Mississippi, then I say that fact is fair game in a forum such as this.In any case, even if that agreement did exist, the blame rests primarily with Smith, as he's the one with all the power in the Smith-Williams relationship. For Smith to have manipulated Williams in that way reeks of insecurity.I've been saying this for years: if we're talking about loyalty and professionalism as between Williams and Smith, at this point I have to say that Smith is the one whose actions are not above reproach. Every inference that can be drawn from Williams' recruiting habits to his departure to North Carolina leads to Williams' deep personal relationship with Smith.Comments?

WisconsinJayhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

I think pumpkins are delicious, but not straight off the vine. Also, milquetoast sounds terrible... I wouldn't eat that if you paid me. Your thoughts and comments?

FortWorthJayhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

Thank you KUMatt2001. The Roy discussion is played out. It's been said before and is frankly really boring at this point. If you don't have any new insight, drop it. Why don't we discuss the great class of incoming freshmen based on their merits alone? They seem like a great group of kids and I'm really pleased to see them coming to KU!

Rick Arnoldy 11 years, 7 months ago

bunot, I think it falls under the heading "lack of institutional control". Every student athlete need to have the rules explained to them at the earliest possible moment then checked up on from time to time. The expected one-and-dones should be watched even closer.

Robert Brock 11 years, 7 months ago

The Morris Twins "are big-time players if their mind is right..." Hmmmmmmm. Manning may have to speak up a bit.

quigley 11 years, 7 months ago

I wonder is the new USC news about Mayo allegedly receiving money will change Sidney's thoughts on his top two schools.

Bill Kackley 11 years, 7 months ago

Timmay97 Don't forget about Tyrel Reed. I think he is going to be an outstanding PG.Also about all the comparing of coaches. We should just be thankful that in the past 20+ years we have been blessed with 3 of the very best college coaches all-time, Larry Brown, Roy Williams and Bill Self.

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 7 months ago

The past two years has solidified Bill Self to the Kansas program........forever.The type of players and how he coaches and everything else puts him a step above anything Roy did. And, that is saying ALOT because Roy did alot for KU.Self is the real deal. He is what KU is now and for that we all should be thankful.

Ed Fox 11 years, 7 months ago

I would think that at this point every Bill-Roy comparison has been discussed repeatedly on this board and others. There is nothing said on this thread about Roy/Bill that wasn't said yesterday in a thread about Joe Dooley and about every other recruiting issue that happened here. It's just redundant at this point and frankly irrelevant. Roy is gone, who cares how he recruits. Coach Self is here, he's an incredible recruiter and we WILL have more NC's with him here. The occasional Roy discussion is fine, but this one has been played out.I might also mention that it's probable that some of the people who are bringing up Roy in these comments are the same people who throw a fit when Keegan or Mayer write some article about Roy or comparing Roy to Bill. If something new comes up, throw Roy in, but if it's this same "Roy sucked at recruiting the east to KU" then it's pointless.

11 years, 7 months ago

The negativity surrounding Roy should be done. One needs to look no further than how he supported us during the National Championship game and spoke glowingly of our program throughout the season. As KEITHMILES05 said, he did a lot for us when he was here. While he never brought us a National Championship, he garnered us a ton of wins and a lot of class. Also, I seem to recall several West Coast players he gave us, Vaughn, Pierce, and Gooden, that weren't too bad and have done fairly well at the next level.

JayhawkPurist 11 years, 7 months ago

Nebraska,Coach Self leaving for OSU after Ford being fired would be an incredible case of deja vu, not to mention the blow to the psyches of many of the KU faithful.A few differences between the two scenarios:1. OSU is not UNC in terms of tradition, ease of recruitment, ability to compete for national championships.2. Coach Self is not subject to the influence (manipulation?) of a Dean Smith at OSU, begging him to come home.And besides, who's to say that Ford will be fired, anyway?

d_prowess 11 years, 7 months ago

I agree that people should stop bashing Roy, but what is wrong with comparing the styles? Roy Williams coached here for 15 years and Bill Self has only been here 5 years. That isn't that long and comparing and contrasting styles and tendancies of coaches and players is what makes sports sites like this fun to go to. Again, I don't think we need to bash anyone anymore, but to say we should never bring them up again is a little crazy too!

JJHAWK 11 years, 7 months ago

KUMATT2001Does your comment mean we are not supposed to send flowers either?LOL - well said.

mr_lawrence 11 years, 7 months ago

oh boy, these next few years are going to be a blast!!

brooksmd 11 years, 7 months ago

Yes, but Tim Floyd knew about the type of individual Rodney Guillory was but still allowed him access to his program. And if poor OJ came from such a poor home how was he able to manage his expensive wardrobe? The red flags were all there and Floyd ignored it. Even after the Reggie Bush deal (or no deal).

Timmay97 11 years, 7 months ago

It's one thing that Bill Self and his staff are great recruiters, but it's another that they recruit great players for NEED. Losing Brandon Rush is huuuuuuuge, but getting Releford and Little helps tame that loss a little. I won't put them in the same league as Rush, but it is good to have size at that position. I'm just looking for a backup point guard for Collins that makes me feel confident with the ball in his hands. That's what was great about KU last year. We had three guys that could handle the rock. This year, I just see Collins. I'm sure Appleton would be fine as well.Why does November have to be so far away?

Joe Ross 11 years, 7 months ago

Hey I got a crazy idea. Don't be too hard on me for it; I know it's a little "out there" and kinda far-fetched. Ready?Okay. Here goes (...deep breath...)...Why don't we all use the comment section to DISCUSS THE ARTICLE?

melrank 11 years, 7 months ago

It's getting strange, but at least I'm laughing. Fiddle Faddle was pretty good stuff.I want to be a homer, but I can't find a link anywhere on the web that says we have more NBA players than any other college - now or all time. I wonder about the accuracy of the above post. Anyone know?

tis4tim 11 years, 7 months ago

6-10 230lbs for Sidney? Wow. These high school kids are massive these days. Whatever happened to the 6-9 185lbs. Mike Dunleavy-esque kids?Thanks GNC.

Brian Skelly 11 years, 7 months ago

I dont know how anyone here can say Roy isnt as good of recruiter as Bill Self. Anyone know what school has more NBA players right now than any other? Kansas. Know who recruited those guys? Roy. That's not to say Self isnt capable of achieving this either, I think he's well on his way. But bashing Roy as being unable to recruit is more than a little silly. Its just ignorant. The facts certainly tell otherwise.

brooksmd 11 years, 7 months ago

"We're married now... time to stop talking about the ex-girlfriend!" Well put KUMatt2001.

jhyphene 11 years, 7 months ago

Easy on the Roy comments. As much crap (much deserved, by the way) as he gets for his comments about not being able to recruit east coast kids to Kansas, I think Roy did a pretty dang good job of bringing good players to Lawrence. High school studs are a dime-a-dozen...it's what they do when they get here that really matters. How heralded was Gooden when he got here? He was the third best player...in his class at KU (when he got here)!!

rockchalkjayhawk4ku11 11 years, 7 months ago

Im excited for next year. Some articles say that Markieff is a better player than Marcus, and other articles say the opposite. I would have to go with Marcus being the better player.

bunot 11 years, 6 months ago

ohioburg, floyd has no "institutional control" over mayo during his high school years. if he secretly took gifts during that time, it's incredibly difficult for floyd to know this. remember, floyd wasn't even recruiting mayo. it was mayo who called floyd.brooksmd, the infractions occurred before mayo got into USC, therefore, this was not about tim floyd giving guillory access to USC, which btw, is not stated. we are just assuming here.

melrank 11 years, 7 months ago

I've been to Wisonsin and love the brats, beer, and Packers. But, what's milquetoast?

Joe Ross 11 years, 7 months ago

I agree. Besides, can't the Roy-Bill comparisons just STOP??? I think we've reached closure on Roy Williams. Let's just LET IT GO!

nebraska_jayhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

Purist, I totally agree with you. Just something my uncle mentioned. I argued with him though.

justanotherfan 11 years, 6 months ago

This current class, to me at least, seems to say that both Reed and Morningstar have a lot of bench sitting in their futures, in much the same way Jeremy Case was relegated to the bench during his career. This does not mean that they aren't both fine players, or that they will never contribute. I think both could have games over the course of their careers where they come in and hit shots, make plays, and help us win. But the facts are these. Tyrone Appleton, Tyshawn Taylor, Mario Little and Travis Releford were not brought here to be backups to Brady and Tyrel. We didn't just bring in a haul of four tremendous perimeter guys, including two of the top 3 JUCO players, to help hold down seat cushions. Releford and Little were recruited to help offset the departure of Brandon. Taylor and Appleton were brought in to replace Russell and (likely) Chalmers. We are already working on a handful of guards (Lance Stephensen, Elijah Johnson, Michael Dixon, the Henry brothers) for next year's recruiting class. The five man perimeter rotation for next season is practically already set - Collins, Appleton, Taylor, Releford and Little in some combination of the three, with Marcus Morris also probably getting some time at the three spot. That leaves scarcely few minutes for anybody else. And if Mario comes back (unlikely as that is right now), it's even less likely that there will be minutes for Brady or Tyrel. Like I said, this is not a knock on either of those guys. Tyrel has a high basketball IQ and is a great shooter. Brady has a good feel for the game as well. Both have seen action and were not overwhelmed. But it is unlikely that they will ever be regulars in the rotation.

melrank 11 years, 7 months ago

Roy was great for KU and I'm glad he was able to contribute to our proud university's legacy of basketball greatness. BUT, I'm glad HCBS is here and I look forward to kicking major league butt for many years to come.Personally, the ghosts of Roy Williams were fully exercised for me in the 48 hour span in which we put a royal spankin on his boys in blue, then he had the brass balls to wear that Jayhawk sticker on his chest. I'm over it and it feels good. Everyone else should try it :)Regarding the point of this particular article - wow, we have 5 kids in the Top 80 in the nation and the rest of the Big XII only has 3 total in the Top 80. That is almost silly impressive.Rock Chalk National Champs (Man I love saying that)

nebraska_jayhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

Strikewso - it's not you. Self is by far a better recruiter than Williams. He didn't get east coast kids because he didn't want to recruit in North Carolina territory. Have you noticed how many kids Roy got from California and now how many kids from the east coast Bill has recruited? I would rather have an east coast kid over a west coast one any day. In addition to Bill superior recruiting ability, his kids actually play defense. Roy's teams just put the pedal to the medal and hope that they outscore the other team. But the drawback to that strategy is what happened to KU the first 15 minutes of the Final Four game. Lucky for them that they do have a good offense. But KU just got cold for some reason, maybe comfortable. But KU's defense which always creates offense prevailed and look what it won us. Bill strategy works and that is why we are getting the kids we are getting.

jayhawkinATL 11 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, USC should find itself on probation before too long. First Reggie Bush and now Mayo.

nebraska_jayhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

Some of you on this board take the comparisons as negative. They are not. They are as negative as saying, "today is a better day than yesterday. There are many more things happening today than yesterday therefore I like today better." I for one was done criticizing Roy the day Bill Self was hired. That day I healed and now we have a coach who wants to be here. By the way, I have an uncle who is convinced that Self will do a Roy Williams. He said that Ford of Oklahoma State will leave/get fired and then Self will be offered the job again and will leave the second time around. Your thoughts?

bunot 11 years, 7 months ago

i don't see how USC should be punished for Mayo. allegedly, Mayo was taking payments from a promoter since he was in high school. that promoter had no relation to USC whatsoever. USC may forfeit all those games with Mayo if he is to be considered a "pro" athlete having accepted payment, but USC should not be put on probation.unless USC knew about the payments. then yes, they should be punished.

kmarti49 11 years, 7 months ago

as much as i would love to see sidney in the crimson and blue..i gotta say i hope he chooses else wherefor two reasons...i dont think a one and done guy like sidney would fit well around lansas, but idk..second...a one and done guy could really help a school say like arizona state, just to get the name out there, i mean just look at the attention beasley gave that school out there in manhattan..plus if sidney comes to asu, we will have our money guy james harden stay thru his junior year, which would be amazing..

100 11 years, 7 months ago

Great article.Imagine what happens if Morgan comes.

100 11 years, 7 months ago

the history of KU basketball is truly remarkable. For those new to supporting KU, look it up. KU, itself (the athletic dept), doesn't tell half the story, because... We do. There's a reason Naismith stayed here 41 years. There's a reason Wilt came here. There's a reason Larry Brown, Greg Popovich, Kevin Pritchard, Jo Jo White and Bill Self came here. And yes, there's a reason Roy Williams came here... It's KU basketball!!! It's the cradle of basketball! Compare and contrast as much as you want ku fans! And by the way, how proud I am that Roy did spend 15 years here! And I couldnt be happier that we currently have the best coach/ recruiter in the country! Rock Chalk!!!

yovoy 11 years, 7 months ago

how dare you compare punkins and milquetoast! milquetoast was THE term for 15 years (at least). i say poppycock! oh, that's delicious too, better than crackerjacks AND fiddle-faddle...we know about milquetoast's "prohibition" on recruiting, and what "dried-appleface" had to do with it. soft is soft, tough wins national championships. all abilities equal, i'll take a tough kid of a prima dona anytime.

Chicago_JHawk 11 years, 7 months ago

<p>RPIRatings.com had a list of NBA players by college as of opening day of this NBA season. KU has 8, tied with Mich St for 8th on the list. UConn has 13, Duke and UNC each with 12, Arizona, Florida, Kentucky and UCLA each have 8. We're just ahead of GTech and Texas with 7. CBS Sportsline has players listed by school, also, but not in a neat ranking. I checked a few of these schools and the numbers are a little different in some cases, but probably due to in-season roster changes. KU had 9 listed (Billy Thomas the likely difference), and UNC had 14. Now, by my count, of UNC's 14, only two were recruited by Roy, and he gets credit for 8 of KU's guys. Coach Self gets credit for JuJu, as well as 4 ex-Illini and even a Tulsa grad. So Roy is understandably ahead in the head-to-head.Having said all this, I don't think recruiting ability can be judged on having an NBA future alone...

cxb19 11 years, 7 months ago

enough already!! if you "roy bashers" would listen to your now "beloved" coach, he has told you that if NOT for roy williams, he would not have inherited such a great program, allowing him to win a nc in 5 years (oh by the way, Roy inherited a program on probation & disgraced) I guess all of you SELFrighteous "fans" have seem to forgotten that fact and yet he had a team of "so-called" nobodies playing for a nc in two years...not losing in the 1st round with a group of "veteran" players who had been to a final 4. this IS not a knock on self, just a point to let everyone know that we owe a lot of gratitude to roy williams and it would be nice if real fans would just say THANK YOU!

Lance Hobson 11 years, 7 months ago

Is it me or are we a lot higher in the national recruiting spotlight with Self than we were with Roy? We seem to have every great player's interest. A key is to get players to the NBA, that's what they want to see. That's why Thuggins was such a good recruiter. We seem to look for tougher players, too. Roy's players tended to wilt under the pressure.

Matt Kenton 11 years, 7 months ago

Agreed, JRoss. It's like people are insecure or something. Self won a NC in 5 years, Roy couldn't do it in 15. And in the only head-to-head matchup since he left, we won by almost 20 on the biggest stage imaginable AND they had the Player of the Year.Case closed.We're married now... time to stop talking about the ex-girlfriend!

Michael Auchard 11 years, 6 months ago

The "Roy Recruiting" issue is not so black and white. When the man wanted to recruit he could get a Paul Pierce. When he didn't want to recruit he could get a Bryant Nash. I think most people agree that he took years off. I've not heard of all of this East Coast non-recruiting stuff before, but it wouldn't surprise me.End game: Roy doesn't like recruiting; he's admitted it before. Bill has stated he likes recruting. And that makes all the difference when you're a top-level coach in the middle-of-nowhere Kansas.

justanotherfan 11 years, 6 months ago

Self is a better recruiter than Williams for this simple reason - Self looks at a player, decides he wants him at KU, and goes out to get him. Williams looks at a map, decides where he can find players for his school, and goes there to get his players. Williams decided not to recruit east of the Mississippi. Whether it was out of respect for his mentor or not, he decided that he wanted to recruit the west coast and Iowa. From California he brought us great players like Vaughn, Pollard, Pierce and Gooden. From Iowa we got Lafrentz, Hinrich and Collison. The trouble was, the years we didn't land the big time players from those places, we were left in a lurch. Recall when we lost Baron Davis to UCLA, leaving us with no replacement for Vaughn at the point. It wasn't so much that Williams took years off as, if he didn't get the guys he wanted from the areas he recruited, he was buried. Guys like Bryant Nash, Nick Bradford, Sean Pearson, TJ Pugh and others were the product of those misses on big time recruits from KU "hotbeds." Coach Self has his own "hotbeds", but he recruits nationwide. Obviously, his work at Illinois has made significant inroads into Chicago. This netted us Julian, Sherron and now Mario Little. The story the other day detailed how much better we have done on the east coast. We are starting to really work on Texas. The truth is, though, that you only have so much staff, and you only have so much time. Whether you use that time and staff to target specific areas or specific players is a strategy decision that you have to make. Self targets his type of players, regardless of where they are. Williams targets his areas, and will find his type of players there.

justanotherfan 11 years, 6 months ago

JayhawkPurist,Thanks for the compliments. I appreciate the candor with which you wrote. I enjoy the respectful debate and discussion that so many people bring to this board.I respectfully disagree with your (and others) comparisons of Tyrel Reed to Kirk Hinrich. Hinrich blossomed into a legit NBA talent. I have a lot of respect for Tyrel Reed, but having seen him play, I am not persuaded that he is blossoming into an NBA talent, despite the affinity of some to compare the two. Hinrich was, at this point in his career, simply a better player. You noted that it does not matter where an individual comes from, as long as they have the ability and willingness to work. That is spot on. I do not doubt Tyrel's work ethic, but I think that he has plateaued as far as his natural ability will take him. I would be as happy as any KU fan if I am incorrect about this, and Tyrel beats out the new guys with a combination of talent and hard work, but I don't think Tyrel will become a starter at KU, or even a regular in the rotation. Just as Christian Moody worked hard and maximized his skills while at KU, I root for all of our guys to do the same. However, how many people during those Christian Moody years wished we had a bigger, stronger, quicker, more talented guy in his place during some of those crucial moments? That's not a criticism of Christian Moody, who I think is a great guy and a tremendous Jayhawk. But I would have opted for a top flight D-I power forward in his place, from a basketball standpoint. Another point to consider. With Little, Appleton and Releford already signed, if the KU staff believed that either Reed or Morningstar were the answer in the backcourt, either from a starting perspective or a depth perspective, why would KU go get another combo guard? Knowing Collins is back, and adding three new guys, if either of those guys projected to be regulars in the rotation, it would only be reasonable to have told Tyshawn thanks, but we are full up. But that's not what happened, and that gives me the feeling that the staff senses that, while Tyrel and Brady are both great program guys and will represent the university tremendously for four years, they will not push us over the top in that time. Enter Tyshawn Taylor. I don't know if he is the difference maker, but his presence implies that Reed and Morningstar are not.

JayhawkPurist 11 years, 6 months ago

Excellent take, justanother.Another thought: WHY DOES IT SEEM LIKE EVERYONE THINKS TYREL REED HAS NO CHANCE OF EARNING LEGIT MINUTES ON NEXT YEAR'S SQUAD? Have any of you who've made such comments seen any of next year's recruits play? I for one was impressed with Reed's saavy during the very few mintues he got to play last year, and I dare say that many of your comments are influenced--even if subconsciously--by the fact that he's from small town in Kansas instead of the New York, Chicago, or Kansas City metro areas like our incoming recruits.KU fans should know that it really doesn't make a difference where you come from, as long as you have the requisite natural ability and a willingness to outwork everybody else. I'll take Hinrich and Collison as college players over almost any similar tandem from urban areas, then or now.

melrank 11 years, 6 months ago

justanother - nice comments, well thought out.

JJHAWK 11 years, 6 months ago

I think Tyrel will be in the rotation before he leaves KU. He would have had a chance to compete for the 9th spot in the rotation last year and a lot of minutes if he hadn't hurt his ankles. He needs the beef that a year in the weight room is bringing. And Self had the confidence to use in him the tournament with it all on the line.As far as comparing him to Heinrich, one of my favorite players, Tyrel is the better shooter but doesn't have the defensive prowess of Kurt. But then few do. Despite all the good defenders on last years national championship team, Kurt was still a bit better.Big 12 North will be the most wide open it has been since the inception of the big 12. I think every team will be improved except Kansas - and we will be talented but young. In the South, Texas is an unknown until Augustine's fate is known, but Texas will be very competitive, as will A&M and OU - which could be the surprise of the league. Rock Chalk Jayhawk - it will be exciting.

ChicagoJHawk 11 years, 6 months ago

justanother,Keep in mind that when Hinrich came to KU the only good guard we had was Jeff Boschee. Hinrich got a ton of playing time & started to really excel his junior and senior years. It's a completely different situation now with Self & all the recruits he gets (and btw I think it's just crazy to compare him & Roy b/c Self is an infinitely better recruiter). Tyrel Reed had to compete with Mario Chalmers, Sherron Collins, Russell Robinson & Rodrick Stewart for playing time, that's 3 McDonald's All Americans in that group! Hinrich didn't have to deal w/that when he came here. I saw Tyrel Reed at late night & other games & I really think that he's just as good/better than Hinrich but he just doesn't get the playing time because we're such an incredibly deep & balanced team.

JayhawkPurist 11 years, 6 months ago

Justanother,I think all your points are sound. My only point was to suggest everyone reserve judgment regarding Reed. I think he has all the tools to comparable to Hinrich. Whether that happens, though, is another story. There are a lot of variables that go into how a player develops, one of which is undoubtedly competition within one's own team, as you aptly point out.As someone else pointed out on this board a few weeks ago, Coach Self seems to like to have at least 4 elite guards to call on so that he can sustain defensive pressure for 40 minutes. That said, it wouldn't surprise me for Self to want to have 5 guys to fill that role in the event one goes down with an injury, etc. I think Self has to be licking his chops with Collins, Reed, Appleton, Little, Taylor, and Releford. The way it's set up, he has allowed room for an injury or one of those guys not panning out quite like he thought, and will still have the 4 solid guards he needs to run his system.

Dan Pawlowski 11 years, 6 months ago

I never had anything to get over.Kansas Basketball is Kansas Basketball because all of the great coaches and players and fans, just great people in general, that have been associated with the program from day 1. Roy was one of those great people and if he had not come along Kansas would not be the same Kansas as they are today. That said, Bill is a great recruiter and his teams play tougher defense then many Div I teams. He and Roy both recruited kids with solid character. Yes there were a few bad apples but in general their recruits were great kids who developed into great mature adults!Rock Chalk with Pride!