Monday, May 5, 2008

Another Invite crown for K.C.

Jayhawk Invite comes to an end

The Jayhawk Invitational AAU Basketball Tournament wrapped up today at Allen Fieldhouse.

Rodney Williams highlights from the Jayhawk Invitational

A highlight reel of Rodney Williams of Howard Pulley (New Hope, Minn.) from Friday night at the Jayhawk Invitational. Behind 23 points from Williams, along with an assortment of other marks on his stat line, Pulley knocked off Stephan Van Treese and Indiana Elite One 72-67.

Seven games in three days - including a trio on Sunday for Kansas City Pump N Run - is a lot of basketball, no matter who you are.

That's why L.J. Goolsby is glad he has Mike Dixon running the show.

Behind Dixon, one of the country's top point guard prospects in the 2009 class, Pump N Run wrapped up the weekend with its fourth straight Jayhawk Invitational 17-and-under division title.

The local AAU power slugged High Intensity of Oakland, Calif., 62-42, Sunday afternoon in Allen Fieldhouse.

"He's such an aggressive point guard, and he just keeps coming at you," Pump N Run coach Goolsby said. "I think he's going to have a tremendous summer. A lot of coaches are going to fall in love with him, because in this particular class, there aren't a lot of great point guards, and he's a really good one. He's great for us because he gets everyone set up, and it all starts with him. I'm just lucky he's on our team."

Dixon showed a little bit of everything that adds up to his being ranked as the No. 87 prospect in next year's crop of seniors by Rivals.com. And, along with what Goolsby said, coaches are taking notice. The most recent scholarship offer to the Lee's Summit (Mo.) West standout came from Louisville.

In Sunday's finale, Dixon finished with 14 points off 6-of-10 shooting. He had seven assists, three steals and three rebounds.

His scoring display included a pair of three-pointers, while his quick and active hands created all three of his takeaways. He consistently kept his cool in both the halfcourt set and on the fast break, despite a bit of mental fatigue from the long, taxing weekend.

"Physically, it's not as bad because L.J. gets us in pretty good shape in practice and stuff, but mentally, it's kind of (tiring)," Dixon said. "We keep winning this tournament. I don't know why. Maybe it's just our luck. We knew we could do it because we were pretty confident from winning a tournament last weekend."

That momentum didn't just carry over for Dixon. Topeka Hayden's Jeff Reid, who is being pursued most aggressively by Kansas State and Gonzaga, scored 10 points. Justin Clark of William Chrisman (Mo.) High scored 12 points off four three-pointers.

Most of the buckets, though, were set up by Dixon feeds. His assist total easily could have reached double digits given how many open looks he orchestrated which simply didn't drop through.

"That's what I like to do most is just get my teammates involved," he said. "Then the game comes so much easier for you scoring-wise. And the game's too long to worry about scoring."

On top of the recent Louisville offer, there's the attention from other schools - Missouri, Oklahoma, Cal, Purdue and Marquette to name a few. Tennessee also came out to watch him play in the last week.

"I don't have a clue where I'm going," he said. "I'm just enjoying the recruiting process right now, because it's really not as bad as everybody says it is. Right now, it's really kinda fun."

Comments

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 7 months ago

Dixon isn't going to get an offer from KU. They have been watched him but there are bigger fish to go after.

jakejayhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

Thanks Ryan! It is so incredible to have this kind of information and service. Growing up in Wichita in the 60's and 70's, I never dreamed of having access to such sources. Now I'm spoiled.

11 years, 7 months ago

Man, if that right there doesn't tell you how good you have to be to be pursued by a program like KU, I don't know what would. Granted, we are going to have a surplus of guards in the fold when Dixon is ready for college, but this kid sounds like the real deal. There is going to be a happy coach and a ton of elated fans when he arrives on their campus to play D-1 ball for them.

jakejayhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

Are we looking at any of the KC guys? Are any of them looking at us?

rgreene 11 years, 7 months ago

Jake,It's tough to gauge just how interested KU is in Dixon, and it appears they're going after the bigger fish right now in the '09 class. But if they're trying to squeeze in the door, it might be tough, with Louisville recently offering and Tennessee gaining interest. They join the likes of MU, OU, Baylor, Purdue, Marquette and Arkansas in terms of chasing his services. Goolsby's not just blowin' smoke when he says Dixon could potentially blow up this summer.As for Reid, he said KSU and Gonzaga are chasing him the hardest, and I'd say KSU has the inside edge since his brother played there. That's just a guess. He said he's always had interest in KU, just like Dixon, but it's nothing more than preliminary contact with them right now.I'd say the next KC prospect to keep in mind for KU is Travis Releford's little brother, Trevor, who will be a junior at Miege next year. He's only about 5-8 right now, but he's got all the natural PG skills, and he has incredible handles/moves. He's got really long arms and big feet, which suggest he'll probably grow a few more inches before it's all said and done.

TheTruth08 11 years, 7 months ago

Competition will make the guards good. It's not a bad problem to have. It will make them all better. Playing with the best, against the best, is the reason one goes to Kansas.

jehillia 11 years, 7 months ago

I honestly hope KU doesn't continue to recruit Dixon....UNLESS he works on his jump shot. He is quick as lightning, but his mechanics need a liitle help. He kind of reminds me of a Kenny Gregory...by that I mean a great athlete but lacks outside shooting ability. I watched him this weekend and he is a great team player....but I'm sure we can get some better gaurds. And good god....We have a cabinet full of gaurds for next year. Do you guys think we'll have some tranfers? Think about who we have next year...Collins, Morningstar, Reed, Teahan, Taylor, Releford, Appleton, Little, and possibly Chalmers. That's possibly 9 gaurds...NINE out of the 15 scholarships KU can have. I'm excited but dang!!!! Someone's probably gonna end up leaving. I hope not but.....

didjabuti 11 years, 7 months ago

Isn't it 12 sholarships? I think Teahan and probably Morningstar are not on scholarship. That would make it seven guards and I can think of 5 bigs. Although Kleinmann may not be so maybe Morningstar is. Its hard to keep track. I think there could possibly be transfers but I also think that the players who might get shorted minutes WANT to play at KU. So I guess it's just one more possible big drop on the roller coaster this next season is sure to be. I'm having to dive into the NBA playoffs to help stave off my thirst for KU basketball.