Saturday, May 3, 2008

KU football TV special to begin airing today

A 30-minute television special featuring the Kansas University football team will air on Fox Sports Net (Sunflower Broadband channel 36) starting today.

The special is part of FSN's Big 12 spring football tour, and KU's edition will feature highlights of last month's spring game and interviews with coach Mark Mangino and selected players.

The show is set to air at 2 p.m. today, as well as six other times this month.

Comments

OutlawJHawk 11 years, 7 months ago

OK, OK, I have new-found respect for you 7-year...that is awesome and you are a great fan. I remember the lean years and drank plenty during those times. I assume the chant came from those times. Understand, I want to leave those tough times behind.Plastic, chill-out. Yes, I may be a new poster, but am as big a KU fan as any. I am a native Lawrence person, an LHS grad, and a KU Alum; I played ball at LHS with Danny Manning and was a student at KU in 88 for our last championship. I attended every KU b-ball game from 1977 to 2006. So, I know my loyalty is unquestionable.I live by the philopshy that "KU sports are not matter of life or death, but much more than that". Cut me a little slack. I have defended our Jayhawk nation in places you couldn't even imagine...hence the semantic "outlaw". Although far from Lawrence, I have found a way to view almost every KU football game and basketball game. I am assertive, aggressive, and opinionated. Get use to it.I am now in your blog world, so I say to all, Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Bryan Summers 11 years, 7 months ago

7year - If I remember correctly, the words go to the music titled "Stand Up and Cheer"...am I correct?....I'm an old band-geek too, as I'm sure you will remember. We didn't sing those lyrics when I was in band, but our tuba section did begin the "Hog Calling Time in Nebraska" that has apparently become tradition with the band.http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Sx4aYBRg2M

sevenyearhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

Tuesday, May 6 at 10:30 p.m. (in Kansas City Royals TV territory only)Thursday, May 8 at 5:30 p.m. (in Kansas City Royals TV territory only)Saturday, May 10 at 8:30 p.m.Tuesday, May 13 at 12:30 a.m. (in Kansas City Royals TV territory only)Saturday, May 17 at 8 p.m.Thursday, May 22 at 8:30 p.m.http://kuathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050208aab.html

sevenyearhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

Thanks plastic!Outlaw must be a n00b ...I guess I see where the lyrics could be misconstrued ...For the record: I've seen a KU football game at all TWELVE conference stadiums, including a stretch of 24 consecutive games, home and away.I rode a Greyhound bus to Lubbock, Texas ... and I've been to every bowl game of the Mangino era, in fact, here's a link to CSTV interviewing me at the Orange Bowl (I'm at the very end):http://www.cstv.com/video/?s=videohub&vid=6032

sevenyearhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

Stand in your beer ...stand in your beer and cheer for KANSAS!Slam, the, next one down ...and we'll forget about the score this afternoon!So then we'll drink, 'til we're drunk ...it doesn't matter that we lost!So grab a beer, STAND UP AND CHEER ...Because football will soon be here!

sevenyearhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

my cheer could apply to the baseball team ..."soon football will be here" implies it is talking about another sport!the marching band used to sing that during football games and the phrase was "soon basketball'll be here"so ... whatever

okiedave 11 years, 7 months ago

I like the Rock Chalk cheer better also. The origin of the "Rock Chalk" chant is interesting. According to "Lawrence Sesquicentennial: Images of history Vol. II" publ. by Sunflower Publishers in 2003:The yell began in 1886 as "Rah, Rah, Jay Hawk, KSU" as a yell for the science club (Kansas State was not around at that time). Led by Chemistry Professor E.H.S. Bailey, Snow Hall professors of geology changed the "Rah Rah" to "Rock Chalk" because Kansas was one of the few places in America containing deposits of Chalk Rock. The chant "Rock Chalk, JayHawk" was not only used at sporting events but was used by K.U. soldiers during WWI and WWII as battle cries.

OutlawJHawk 11 years, 7 months ago

What the heck 7-year. That is about the most depressing cheer I can imagine..."forget about the score", "doesn't matter that we lost". Find a different team to drink for or maybe drink a little less...maybe then you will realize Kansas won the Orange Bowl and is a winner now. SOBER UP!

William James 11 years, 7 months ago

sevenyearhawk-Yet again you prove to be more informative than the LJW. Thanks for your help. I'l try and tune in on Tuesday.

Jonathan Allison 11 years, 7 months ago

No one, and I mean no one should ever question sevenyear's loyalty to KU Football.you just have to hang around here long enough to figure that out