Back to 2008 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament coverage

2008 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Originally published March 30, 2008 at 08:15p.m., updated March 30, 2008 at 10:44p.m.

Fieldhouse to open for fans to welcome Jayhawks

Mass. celebration underway

Massachusetts Street turned into a tangle of triumph after Kansas University's Elite Eight victory over Davidson, sending the Jayhawks to the Final Four for the first time since 2003.

Kansas University associate athletic director Jim Marchiony confirmed that Allen Fieldhouse will open for fans to welcome the victorious Jayhawks when they return from Detroit. Assistant athletics director of operations and events Bill Dickerson said the field house will open between 9:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. A replay of the game will be shown starting at 10 p.m., and the team is expected to return to Lawrence around 12:30 a.m.

Comments

CaramelMacchMan 11 years, 8 months ago

Damm... i'll be at the Phog at 12 baby.. yeahhh

Joe Ross 11 years, 8 months ago

Thoughts in the aftermath...

1. How the HELL did Curry get by every ACC school? The kid is special.

2. Final four. Clash of Titan programs (UNC, Kansas, and UCLA). Clash of great coaches (Williams, Calipari, Self, and Howland). Clash of high seeds (1, 1, 1, 1). History, baby..."history".

3. The monkey is off Self's back. Now he has a gorilla. Kansas fans dont want to lose to UNC (regular season, tournament, or otherwise).

4. Every should send postcards to Tomsk, Russia. "Thank you Mrs. Kaun". Write in Russian please, her English is not too good.

5. Can anyone else believe how Memphis manhandled Texas??? WOW! Oh, and has anyone seen the annoying Sham-Wow commercials? Sorry, my ADD is acting up again.

6. I love Roy. I hope we beat the crap out of his team though. Knock that silly grin off of Tyler Hansbrough's face... Roy's gonna be squirming during interviews for the Final Four spots. I'm interested to see how much love he shows.

7. I think Davidson was a blessing in disguise. Ive been saying all along that our perimeter defense needed to tighten up. Some would have thought I was crazy considering how many steals we get, but the fact is we've let a lot of opponents get off from outside. Curry was a great tune-up. Every other team left in the tournament has great perimeter play!

8. The basketball team needs a Final Four win. What a great complement to the football program who brough home an Orange Bowl win this year!

9. I hope UCLA loses. Just on principle. They shouldnt be here with all the help they've gotten from the refs. Speaking of, Davidson got hella calls from an officiating crew that I SWEAR TO GOD was paid off!

10. Message to Michael Beasley of "...we're gonna beat 'em in Africa" fame: hope you got HD so you can watch us in San Antonio. No love for the thugs from Mizzou either.

mcoan 11 years, 8 months ago

How about playing SATURDAY'S game on big screens at the Fieldhouse...charge $5; I'll be there.

But why on earth would I want to watch tonight's debacle again? I'd rather eat nails.

Bill Self gets out-coached routinely. (Even by Sean Sutton, by all people.) Did he learn NOTHING from Larry Brown about changing defenses and offenses and diagramming plays? Guess not.

Will he say, double team Hansborough? I really doubt it.

oldboy 11 years, 8 months ago

JRoss my love for Roy never stopped. My screen name used to be roysoldboy for that very reason.

I am in total agreement with you that Kaun played about as great in the whole tournament as anyone else and today he was extra good. I will be getting in trouble with a lot of my fellow fans, especially those who think that Self can't coach, when I tell them that Kaun has earned his starting spot back but to make that change would interrupt the team chemistry and only a fool would do that right now. Let Hansbrough get a little tired and then spring Kaun on him. I have been waiting for that match up all winter and it is finally here.

Speaking of officials they sure did some questionable things in this game and did appear to be trying to make sure that the Final Four didn't have four 1 seeds. Some of the calls with Brandon involved were just too shaky for me. One layup that Jackson made he was hit hard enough that you could see his hips move out and it was so obvious. I think that the team needs to be congratulated for not going wild at some of that stuff. For the most part they just smiled and went on. This indicates some good coaching to me.

janeyb 11 years, 8 months ago

I hope the refs lost mucho money in Vegas. I say the refs in college basketball are making the sport appear as honest as the WWE. The Jayhawks showed them though! Go Jayhawks!

Lance Hobson 11 years, 8 months ago

Why don't the students celebrate on campus like they used to? In '88, '91, and '93 all the celbrations were on Jayhawk blvd and it was fabulous. That was my favorite part of going to the Final 4.

Dan Pawlowski 11 years, 8 months ago

mcoan, Your an idiot. You sound like a parrot from Illinois. Look at the UNLV game , The bigs were not getting it done so he went small , like today, and got the job done. Same today and our guards wore them down. Davidson is a good team. Give them their due. Once you get to the top half in the tournament the top 32 teams can beat each other on any given day. Its a one and done deal. It is not the best team that wins it all its the hottest. Shut your trap until your basketball acumen (judgement) improves.