Monday, March 10, 2008

Collins named Big 12 Co-Player of the Week

Kansas University sophomore guard Sherron Collins on Sunday evening was named the Big 12 Co-Player of the Week following the Jayhawks' two wins this week. The second of which, Saturday's 72-55 win at Texas A&M;, clinched a share of KU's fourth straight regular season league title.

Collins shares the award with K-State freshman standout Michael Beasley. Collins averaged 13 points per game in two victories, providing a valuable spark for Bill Self's team off the bench. Beasley averaged 24 points and 11.5 rebounds in two wins over the past week as the Wildcats clinched the No. 3 seed in this week's conference tournament in Kansas City.

For more on this story, log back onto KUSports.com and read Monday's Journal-World.

Comments

bradywaters 11 years, 11 months ago

Congrats Sherron...about time to see the real you back on the court. One of the most dangerous guards in the country.

ku_phog 11 years, 11 months ago

the ending to the last two UCLA games have been just absolute BS. How can the PAC 10 or ESPN for that matter justify what has happened the last two games. Two very different circumstances with two very different calls but with both ending with the same outcome, a UCLA win. You have to feel for the Kids from both Cal and Stanford after having the game stolen from them unfairly. If UCLA gets a #1 seed it would be the biggest loud of crap I have ever seen. It is also kind of ironic that they have an insider on the selection committee who some how tends to get them in the west bracket regardless there seed. When you virtually get to play home games during the NCAA tournament you better do well. What I am 100% certain of is that if and when we meet them in NCAA tourney we are going to absolutely kick there arses.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go KU!

jayhawker_97 11 years, 11 months ago

yeah.. my man, Collins! i knew you will prove your worthiness when you're healthy.. hopefully, those who still doubted Collins will realize that this kid has a heart of a champion.. congratulations to Collins!

Chris Shaw 11 years, 11 months ago

It is Monday and after my rant last Friday on the UCLA shameless victory against Stanford, I didnt think it could get much worse. Nothing went my way this weekend as a fan except a very impressive win for the hawks against the Aggies. I witnessed another crazy game between UCLA and Cal, which I can not believe the ending of that game. I had to listen to the East Coast bias towards Duke and UNC for 12 hours. I want to rip my eyes out after listening to that garbage all-day. I actually think I hate UNC more than Duke, which I never thought I would say something like that. I actually was rooting for Duke on Saturday night. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! I was hoping Tennesee would slip up over the weekend, but that didn't happen. I at least thought that KU had the best sixth man in the nation, but Dick Vitale and the Espn crew all think that Scheyer from Duke is the best sixth man in the counrty. Has everybody forgotten about Collins? While I watched college basketball all-day on Sunday I had to listen to Joe Lundardi continue to project KU as a #2 seed. Huh? How do you go 28-3, share the big 12 title and still get a #2 seed? I don't really care as long as we get Tennessee as a #1 or #2 seed in the Midwest. This is actually a very poor post on my part, but rather just a bunch of generalizations about the weekend. I'm a little confused and perplexed by everything that is going on, but I feel very confident that the KANSAS JAYHAWKS are definitely getting disrespected by the rest of the country. You have to earn your right to be at the top and this is definitely our year to prove everybody wrong. The hawks should play with a chip on their shoulder. Is everybody else besides me ready for another Roy Williams collapse in the NCAA tourney? I am most of all very excited about that happening because living in Charlotte, NC there is nothing worse than Tarhell fans. Ughhhhhhh!

Jonathan Allison 11 years, 11 months ago

I think its kinda funny that when you've got a guy like Beasley in the league, the player of the week honors become so relative. Collins is playing the best he's played all year and Beasley was a little below average statistically, but still... Beasley averaged 24 points and 11.5 rebounds. Collins averaged 13 points and some assists and steals and didn't turn it over. The voters I guess realize that it would be boring to only give it to Beasley week in and week out.

Ben Kane 11 years, 11 months ago

Congrats Collins!

What bugs me about all this UCLA crap is that even though they needed two BS calls to win their last 2 games they are somehow still the best (or second best) team in the country according to most pundits. Fortunately it matters little for when we win it all their will be no more doubt!!!

RockChalk!

NH_JHawk 11 years, 11 months ago

Congratulations Sherron! He's the key to our run down the stretch and he's coming on strong at the right time.

Consensus building (nationally) re: UCLA

• Gary Parrish at CBS:

"UCLA has replaced Georgetown as the team that most often wins because of controversial calls or no-calls."

SDSurferFan 11 years, 11 months ago

UCLA- Who cares? I agree with two non calls being bogus, however, if we would have beaten UCLA for the 1 seed there would have been a great chance that we would play them as the 2 seed. Now, it appears the 1 seeds are locked up and KU should be the first 2 seed, therefore, playing Tenn. I much rather be a 2 vs Tenn, than a 1 vs UCLA.

What I saw this weekend, besides two horrible non-call, three if you count the horse shot Shipp put up, was that UCLA is vulnerable. I still think they are the best in the country and would not want to see them until the final four.

When the season first started I thought Collins would have taken over the starting job from RR. Obviously, injuries and a 20-0 start stopped that. I love RR, but Collins is the man. RR is great for everything he brings, but Collins needs to be in the game as KU faces tougher competition in the tourney. Another point is this is probably the best team Collins will play for under KU and it would be great to take advantage of this shot.

I also do not think that KU is being disrespected. Most pundits say KU has as good of chance as anyone anyone to play in San Antonio. I do believe they should keep playing with a chip on their shoulder like they have the past 2 weeks.

Really fun team to watch now.

speedy 11 years, 11 months ago

kansas disrespected?? kansas as a state and KU have been thought of as trash ever since 1938!! why then? because one of the greatest movies of all time had a tornado and we are not in kansas any more toto. in it. kansas will never live it down. but that disrespect can be overcome by another champship and this group is trying their best. rock chalk!

d_prowess 11 years, 11 months ago

I would much rather be a two seed in the Midwest Region with a Memphis or Tennessee as the #1, than a 1 seed out west with UCLA as the 2 seed. Everyone knows the road to the championship does not always crown the best team, but the one with a good path and a little luck.

Dirk Andrews 11 years, 11 months ago

I agree with not wanting to be out West, especially if UCLA is out there as well. I'm not afraid of playing them, I just hate the fact it is a home game for them. The Midwest or South would be a great place to be. At this point, I think that Memphis, UCLA, NC, Duke, Tenn, KU, Texas all have reasons to be #1 seeds. It's all going to come down to the league tourneys and who comes out on top. I would love to see Memphis or Tenn lose so we could step into #1 in the Midwest.

I think Collins is the difference maker for this team. We have outstanding talent and have a great starting five. Then, Collins comes off the bench and plays like a beast. There's not many that could guard a healthy Sherron. Throw in Sasha, Cole, and Rod, and that is as deep as any team in the nation.

Most exciting part of the season is here...